Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,617 members, 7,813,032 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

My Nigeria Experience - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Nigeria Experience (7873 Views)

My Lagos, My Nigeria – A Young Man’s First Experience Of Lagos / US Health Authorities Learn From Nigeria’s Experience Containing Ebola / Oil: How Ghana Should Learn From Nigeria's Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Nigeria Experience by Godogwu: 7:49pm On Nov 28, 2012
saxywale:
True, I was formerly a "dont say anything bad about my country or I kick u in d ass" over patriotic Nigerian. Well, I stepped my foot on European soil and it dawned on that Nigeria had been developing in the negative direction.

In other words, you are extremely dumb. For starters how old is that country you went to?, were they exploited? Like! How would you compare Nigeria to some european country you visited? Nitwit!

2 Likes

Re: My Nigeria Experience by omanzo02: 8:24pm On Nov 28, 2012
Godogwu:

LOL, i can only laugh.... Frankly im not your type that virtually lives on nairaland but i dont have a class now so lets have fun for a bit aii.

Look at the pictures on this other thread and tell me which lagos you actually went to, that leaving the airport there were numerous pot holes and all that funny stuff you said. https://www.nairaland.com/1114951/growing-beauty-lagos-pics
Dude,
Quit the 'I like bronze' behaviour, If u have the experience the OP have had, u can't settle for less, Nigeria is developing negatively, our leaders have no clue what development is all about.
Re: My Nigeria Experience by 1forall: 8:26pm On Nov 28, 2012
I would be somewhat disappointed if Da Mayor and saxywale expend their precious cerebral energy and time trying to refute this guy's gross mistalk, lemme handle this wink
Imagine, we dey talk of current socio-cultural problems birthed by years of repression, diseducation, corruption and misrule dis guy dey post link to 'The Growing Beauty Of Lagos'! It's a shame that some of us still think infrastructure building = development undecided

I saw the topic yesterday and found I had no comment to make as e be say na mediocrity level be our own excellence now. The attached is from the collection of pictures posted there, abeg tell me what represents Lagos' growing beauty there?

Who will educate the Nigerian citizen?

1 Like

Re: My Nigeria Experience by omanzo02: 8:29pm On Nov 28, 2012
Godogwu:

In other words, you are extremely dumb. For starters how old is that country you went to?, were they exploited? Like! How would you compare Nigeria to some european country you visited? Nitwit!

U can't compare Nigeria to any European country, they are far ahead in every spheres of development.
Re: My Nigeria Experience by ryom(m): 8:50pm On Nov 28, 2012
I appreciate the argument Europe was 100s of years ahead. That is why I cited the Singapore example. They were colonised like us. They had severe inter-ethnic and inter-religious issues after the British left. When the British left, (as usual) they were so decimated they were merely a desert Island. In fact bigger neighbours like Malaysia and Indonesia wanted to annex them but thought it was not worth while as Singapore had nothing. Step in Lee Kuan Yew and in 30 years Singapore became a 1st world nation. The title of his book is: From Third World to First: The Singapore Story: 1965-2000. I strongly recommend this book to any Nigrian interested in the future of this country Nigeria.
Re: My Nigeria Experience by DaMayor1: 8:55pm On Nov 28, 2012
1forall: I would be somewhat disappointed if Da Mayor and saxywale expend their precious cerebral energy and time trying to refute this guy's gross mistalk, lemme handle this wink
Imagine, we dey talk of current socio-cultural problems birthed by years of repression, diseducation, corruption and misrule dis guy dey post link to 'The Growing Beauty Of Lagos'! It's a shame that some of us still think infrastructure building = development undecided

I saw the topic yesterday and found I had no comment to make as e be say na mediocrity level be our own excellence now. The attached is from the collection of pictures posted there, abeg tell me what represents Lagos' growing beauty there?

You read my mind. What else can i say. The joy & beauty of western civilisation. The right for 'anyone' to have an opinion without fear of repression.
Re: My Nigeria Experience by ba7man(m): 9:09pm On Nov 28, 2012
@ OP. Did u expect to walk out of the plane into New-york city? Of course things can't change so quickly as you expect it to, your write up might have some truth but its exaggerated, things aren't as hopeless as you potray it. Look, its easy to complain but what have you contributed??

1 Like

Re: My Nigeria Experience by Nobody: 10:09pm On Nov 28, 2012
Godogwu:

LOL, i can only laugh.... Frankly im not your type that virtually lives on nairaland but i dont have a class now so lets have fun for a bit aii.

Look at the pictures on this other thread and tell me which lagos you actually went to, that leaving the airport there were numerous pot holes and all that funny stuff you said. https://www.nairaland.com/1114951/growing-beauty-lagos-pics

Godogwu:

very typical, posting pics of mediocre infrastructures built by your Chinese masters. Dude, u need to take a trip outa Nigeria for once in your miserable life and know how government is being run in sane countries. mofo.

Okay lets even forget bout comparing Nigeria to Bosnia, chenchen or France....would you, with your roach sized brain compare Nigeria to Malaysia or Singapore? note that they were colonised and oppressed by colonial masters as well.

1 Like

Re: My Nigeria Experience by Godogwu: 12:37am On Nov 29, 2012
omanzo02:
Dude,
Quit the 'I like bronze' behaviour, If u have the experience the OP have had, u can't settle for less, Nigeria is developing negatively, our leaders have no clue what development is all about.

errmmmm guy shut it when you don't know anything aii. I'm an undergrad international student studying in US yea, so you see I've practically lived here for about two years. I only go to Nigeria in summer or for Christmas. that aside, I travel alot with my mum or dad and on my own (vacations,excursions and all that good stuff). My obvious point is that nobody should compare Nigeria to any western/ European country...I find it very dumb; its kinda like comparing Mercedes Benz to Kia or UNILAG to AUN. Everyone knows that graduating from UNILAG with an excellent transcript holds more water than that of AUN regardless that they are both pretty good schools. Nigeria is still a developing country and for all the F O O L S that have been saying the "i like bronze" ish, you should know that you have to start somewhere to get somewhere. Nigeria cannot automatically have the best roads in the world, the lowest unemployment rate, the best airports and all, just like that after a whole lot went wrong in its earlier years. Oh you think our leaders have no clue?, i'm sure you're in the best position to run this country no?...... pleeease heres a bench for you \________. If by producing the Richest black man Alive, the Richest African woman, the most educated graduates, the 7th fastest growing economy in the world, a middle class, biggest entertainment industry in Africa etc means developing negatively then sure. Finally you must be a complete retaaard to think that nothing has changed in Nigeria, even in the past 4 years a whole lot has changed, a whole lot...... and Nigeria would keep on growing; nobody is settling for bronze, we'd keep pushing till we get gold. bye now smiley

1 Like

Re: My Nigeria Experience by Godogwu: 12:49am On Nov 29, 2012
saxywale:

very typical, posting pics of mediocre infrastructures built by your Chinese masters. Dude, u need to take a trip outa Nigeria for once in your miserable life and know how government is being run in sane countries. mofo.

Okay lets even forget bout comparing Nigeria to Bosnia, chenchen or France....would you, with your roach sized brain compare Nigeria to Malaysia or Singapore? note that they were colonised and oppressed by colonial masters as well.

LOOOOOL!!...DUDE PLEASE!!! about the travel outside of Nigeria ish.....ummm you know what? never mind...

Yes Malaysia and Singapore were colonized and obviously those countries are more developed. you should also understand that if Nigeria had a government like the present one, we would not even be having this discussion. Well you can go on and on dissing Nigeria frankly you're a nonentity. umm yea!, quick question; is any of the countries you mentioned a "first world country?"....heres a bench \_________ i'll wait while you try to figure this one out.

1 Like

Re: My Nigeria Experience by Godogwu: 12:55am On Nov 29, 2012
1forall: I would be somewhat disappointed if Da Mayor and saxywale expend their precious cerebral energy and time trying to refute this guy's gross mistalk, lemme handle this wink

This was the only picture you could post?...why did'nt you post most of them so people can see how much of a pathological liar the poster is... rubbish

1 Like

Re: My Nigeria Experience by otokx(m): 8:33am On Nov 29, 2012
Okiki_Oluwa: I m still wondering where the Subsidy Probe, Power Probe, Police Pension Probe etc will end. Fuel is still been sold for N105/litre in my area. The thing wan tire me.

petrol is now 130 per litre in Port Harcourt that is if you see to buy, NNPC that is selling 97 the queue is so long just be prepared to waste the entire day in getting fuel that would be finished within 3 days.
Re: My Nigeria Experience by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:28am On Nov 29, 2012
otokx:

petrol is now 130 per litre in Port Harcourt that is if you see to buy, NNPC that is selling 97 the queue is so long just be prepared to waste the entire day in getting fuel that would be finished within 3 days.
dats a self inflicted punishment na. Even d N105/litre still dy pepper me nt 2 talk of N130/litre. & I ll nw queue till eternity @ NNPC. Mba!
Re: My Nigeria Experience by emiye(m): 11:35am On Nov 29, 2012
@ Op , you have made good observations, but lack objectivity. Nigeria's biggest hindrance to fast pace development is the structure of governance & democracy ...

I laugh when people talk about travelling to big international cities and comparing to a places in nigeria like lagos, and make disparaging remarks about homebased Nigerians as mediocres for applauding the state administrator.

Where is your objectivity ?

Do they have the same resources?, Do they have the same challenges ?

Lagos State with a population of 18 million has a budget of less than 500 billion naira in 2012 budget.

Capetown with a population of 3.5 million has a budget of over 550 billion naira in 2012/2013 budget.

South Africa with a population of 60 million has a budget of over 20 trillion naira in 2012/2013 budget.

Nigeria with a population of 170 million has a budget of less than 5 trillion naira in 2013 budget.

Until we change from our banana republic , by changing the structure we are currently operating with, and have TRUE FEDERALISM, the real potential of the country will remain latent. The structural change should be what all Nigerians should be clamoring for, not self centred and myopic state creation.

2 Likes

Re: My Nigeria Experience by izipee: 10:18pm On Dec 01, 2012
pls sir i tried postn in ur uniport link but its nt workn,nd i rly nid ur help so i used here. . . . . .i filled my eligibility form without my jamb details bcuz smbdy told me 2 do it since i got my admsn tru basic, nd i was eventualy cleared. . . .nw i am hearing a difrnt thng. Pls wat do i do?
Re: My Nigeria Experience by Lasinoh: 6:28am On Dec 02, 2012
Da Mayor: It was meant to be a pleasant trip back home after a while abroad. As with everyone in my shoes I was quite excited, especially after all I’d heard (I emphasize ‘heard’) about gallant strides made by Mr. Goodluck Jonathan (representing the Federal Republic of Nigeria) and Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola (representing Lagos State Government). And so I got on a plane, destination Nigeria, all smiles on my face. Well, I didn’t have to leave Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA) before those smiles began to whither. T

The baggage arrival hall of the MMIA can best be described as ‘hell fire’ preparatory room. With the intense heat in that hall, it is amazing no one ever faints on arrival. However, I must commend the customs and NDLEA people for sparing my luggage the usual pretense search in hope for a ‘settlement’ (though I noticed them staring in my direction, but I guess after the grueling torture I had endured at the immigrations/ baggage hall, my face didn’t encourage such).

Coming out of the airport, it was business as usual. Cars parked in places clearly marked ‘NO PARKING’. Shamefully, even ‘oyibo’ knew the routine of greasing the hands of the police officers tasked with enforcing the NO Parking policy, blatantly causing untold hardship to law abiding motorists who make use of the designated car park. This was obviously not a good sign giving the ‘touted’ ongoing police reforms. I must state at this point, it is a huge joke if those in government believe that structure can become a ‘Hub’ for the sub region given its dilapidated state, and its lack of basic amenities and services found in major international airports worldwide. Anyway, I was not going to allow this little setback mould my opinion of the government, even though these lapses gave me reason enough to do so.

The ride out of the airport was heart breaking. The government’s media propaganda began to fall apart before my very eyes on day one. A road meant to be the pride and joy of the nation was its shame and disgrace. It was Littered with countless pot-holes, and commercial vehicles operating with reckless abandon under the watchful eyes (blessing) of law enforcement agents. It’s a literal case of spreading our dirty laundry in public view. I believe charity begins at home, and you cannot be talking about foreign investors when you cannot guarantee basic social amenities.

Veering off into state roads, I began to wonder what all the praise singing was all about. Had Lagosians been so intimidated into singing state government praise songs? I was, and am still yet to point my finger on one genuine people oriented policy of this administration. Few weeks into my vacation, I developed a good mind to pack up and return to my adopted home, with a genuine aim to convert it to a permanent one. Sadly, for the same reason which has kept many of our best and brightest brains in foreign lands.

Lagosians can best be described as a people under siege by the Action Congress of Nigeria ACN (popularly called Asiwaju Company of Nigeria) government. Daily living in fear of being ‘Caught’ by state empowered agents (even though some could best be described as thugs) for just going about their business. “Oga we catch you dey do this”, “Madam we catch you dey do that”. One day Lagosians will begin to get caught for just walking the streets (don’t think it’s a ludicrous suggestion, as we are gradually being caged in the name of toll gates). The new state traffic law which can best be described as draconian serves to further oppress the people, leaving us at the mercy of LASTMA, KAI, and the many uniforms I couldn’t keep track of. With clauses like jail term for first time traffic offenses, while corrupt public officials get a pat on the back for embezzlement, it’s easy to imagine the caliber of people in leadership.

Before you take me for a PDP hired gun, the only reason the Lagos state government is at the receiving end is because I’m a citizen by birth and naturalization hence am well within my rights to express my candid opinion. Let me cease this opportunity to commend the Lagos state government on the environmental beautification taking place. However if we are to seriously consider the facts, we will realize that the government has not been sincere. How can a reasonable government lease/sell the serene water view (which should be public space) of Ozumba Mbadiwe to cronies for purpose of building hotels, and relegate Lagosians to under bridge parks in the middle of nowhere. Lagosians cannot even walk public beaches in their country without paying exorbitant fee. What freebie do we actually receive from the government? I have been fortunate to travel and live in a few West African and European countries, and have never paid to walk a beach. That’s a story for another day.

Nigerians have to be one of the easiest set to govern. Just throw in a pacifier every once in a while to calm their nerves. Come to think of it, there’s nothing wrong with pacifying the people. However our government’s idea of a pacifier isn’t tax breaks or policy change that impacts positively on the ordinary man, rather its increasing fuel prices to divert attention from subsidy probes, or threatening to introduce five thousand (5000) naira notes to take away attention from pressing issues such as corruption, embezzlement, bad governance etc. Basically, introducing punitive measures for daring to question them. This is a tried and tested weapon employed by the Nigerian government and seems to work all the time. Our only form of leadership is turning a blind eye to everything provided it doesn’t affect their (Politicians) businesses or interests.

Governments around the world carry out reforms, but our idea of reforms is introducing policies to breed new monsters which facilitate corruption. How else do you explain the many parastatals and commissions littered around states, and most notoriously the federal capital territory, sometimes with incoherent functions? All equipped with Chairman, director et al. occupying gigantic buildings which have to be serviced and maintained.

It is a common sight to see staff of these ‘monsters’ at home on working weekdays, or attending to their own private businesses while waiting for ‘allocation’ to arrive. The Chairmen of these commissions are mostly nothing but ‘government boys’ who have been compensated for loyalty to the ruling party.

I couldn’t help but listen to the modus operandi of one of such commissions (NDDC) as highlighted by the governor of Akwa-Ibom state (Godswill Akpabio) during the just concluded silver jubilee celebration of the state, broadcast live on satellite television, as he opened a can of worms by giving a detailed description of how deep corruption is entrenched in the commission with respect to contract allocation and performance. Till this day, I am not aware of any investigation launched by the various anti corruption agencies concerning his allegations.

The people of Lagos state, and indeed Nigerians have been so consumed by their daily struggles that they seem to have lost their sense of humanity. How else do you explain senseless hatred road users exhibit towards each other daily? Policemen incarcerating innocent citizens because he/she refused to part with a bribe? Security men at fast food joints and banks incessantly requesting a tip for ushering you in? And the cold blooded murder by the Aluu clan, of four students of the University of Port Harcourt, which has become known as the Alu 4 (one of many murders we as a nation must surely account for)? As we can see, these are pure cases of the ordinary man’s inhumanity to his kind. What has become of the mantra “do unto others as you would have others do unto you?” I believe the change we seek starts with me and you. The way we treat our fellow citizens on the streets, our colleagues at work place, etc, does go a long way in shaping society.

I dare say that Nigerians deserve the government we get. Majority of which are beneficiaries of the corrupt system, either directly or indirectly. Inwardly endorsing the corrupt ways as it puts food on the table, and outwardly condemning it. Little wonder people cannot protest when three expensive toll gates are put on their 46km stretch daily route. Or when I have to pay money to park at the airport and the roads in the car park serves only to damage my car. Or when touts (also known as area boys, however I choose to use the term criminals) extort Nigerians daily, and return a large chunk of their loot to their government god fathers.

Oh!! I weep for my people. In the words of Genghis Khan, “I (punitive leaders) am the punishment of God. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you”. I am inclined to believe this is the situation we find ourselves.

In summary, a vast majority of our leaders are wicked. Fitting the biblical description of Satan. Coming only to steal, kill and destroy (all of which have been done to our beloved country). It would be a sad thing, and an injustice indeed to go through this man made hell here in Nigeria and end up in hell fire with this caliber of leaders. I am convinced the hottest part of hell awaits such people.

People who divert money meant to alleviate suffering of the poor and convert it to personal use. People who channel free drugs donated by foreign governments meant to support HIV patients, and sell them at exorbitant prices to the sick and afflicted. People who drive their exotic cars (and private jets as seems to be the norm) bought with ill-gotten wealth in the midst of abject poverty, and foolishly drive them on roads/ airports they have neglected. People who allocate phony road contracts knowing nothing will be done only to embezzle money. People who refuse to implement meaningful policy for fear of their loot source being cut off.

To such I ask; what has become of your conscience? How can you take a dump where you sleep/eat!!!!! As much as the white man promotes corruption abroad (so we claim), he can never bring it home as that’s where he will retire. That’s the home of his wife and kids. For our leaders, it’s the opposite.

Nigeria indeed is a land of opportunity. I know a man who was worth twenty naira in year 1999, and today is one of the world’s richest men. I know few others who run major corporations without any history of a start up. There has to be something about these types of opportunity. Opportunities that don’t follow the laws of nature. I leave you to guess what has fuelled these ‘all of a sudden’ success stories. Little wonder the youth are no longer interested in a formal education, as they have figured out the formula to instant success.

I have taken time to read biographies of success stories worldwide, and found that they have one thing in common, ‘History’. Men and women who started from humble beginnings, working hard to grow businesses into major corporations. I compare with my Nigerian entrepreneurs and what I see is instant success stories with no history. Probing further, you find that the chairman or directors consist of ‘former governor’, ‘former minister’, ‘former government official’, etc. Indeed our anticorruption agencies have their work cut out.

The rate, magnitude, and impunity at which corruption is perpetuated in Nigeria is second to none. Mildly put, if we were in a marathon, Nigeria can afford to take a whole day rest without fear of being sighted. Hence it is quite laughable and insulting when Mr. President tells Nigerians and the world that our war against corruption is second only to the United States (still laughing as I type this). Let’s take a basic case that affects us all. I heard the National Electrical Regulatory (NERC) boss publicly state that the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) service charge is illegal. However, Nigerians are still mandated to pay this absurd bill. It is not rocket science to figure that some ‘oga’ is benefiting from this charge, hence the inability of government and its regulatory agencies to curb this extortion.

What has become of our power probes? Petroleum subsidy probes? And other such spectacles as I choose to call them?

Despite all these short comings, deep down in the heart of most Nigerians in Diaspora, there is a strong desire to return home. To be around friends and loved ones. To not be bothered by freakish weather, extreme boredom, racism, and all the ‘abroad inconveniences’. That is why we follow developments back home with keen interest. Hoping to hear news that will encourage our desire to return home. Unfortunately, everyday outdoes the previous with respect to bad and absurd news. Boko haram trying to outdo MEND, Aluu clan trying to outdo boko haram, corruption trying to employ more people, ‘million man armed robbery gang’ terrorizing a state, state finance ministry broken into and all files and backups carted away while the police argued which post had jurisdiction to respond, petrol subsidy saga still playing out while culprits are still handed fresh allocations, fuel scarcity becoming a normal way of life, Pastor competing with business men, the list goes on. Is it too much to ask for a better life?

Ours is a peculiar case that defies logic. There is a complete feeling of hopelessness among the youth in the midst of opportunity, lack in the midst of plenty, and thirst in the midst of the rivers. If this isn’t a curse/ punishment, then I have never seen one. My pen has ceased to write as it weeps for my country men and women.

[s]Indeed, only God can save from such mess!![/s]

PLEASE, LEAVE GOD OUT OF IT. Nigerian 'CHRISTAINS' are exercizing their own 'free-will'! kiss
Giving you my 'Like' #28
This describes how I feel whenever I get to Nigeria. The dread is unshakeable.
A GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION SO CURSED!
Next time, avoid Lagos and go through Abuja for JUST AN OUNCE of sanity! kiss

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Arrests Generals,senior Officers For Letting Boko Haram Take Baga / Anambra Assembly Reopens Amidst Tight Security / Youths And Political Thuggery In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.