Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,229 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija (48506 Views)

Panama Papers: Folorunsho Coker And Gwandu Listed / Pictured: Africa's Richest Woman Folorunsho Alakija Visits Lagos Slum / Folorunsho Alakija's Source Of Wealth Busted By CNN Reporter, Christian Purefoy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Sagamite(m): 5:38pm On Nov 28, 2012
Katsumoto: Personally, I have no respect for most of Naija's rich folks. Any monkey is capable of being wealthy if allocated an oil block. It is no surprise that the richest folks in Naija are connected with the oil industry. Dangote himself made his fortune from government enforced/backed monopolies. It is for that same reason that many folks don't reckon with Carlos Slim (world's richest man).

You lack the respect because you are not a product of a hoodrat education!

At your level, you need something more inspiring.

1 Like

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 28, 2012
Katsumoto: Personally, I have no respect for most of Naija's rich folks. Any monkey is capable of being wealthy if allocated an oil block. It is no surprise that the richest folks in Naija are connected with the oil industry. Dangote himself made his fortune from government enforced/backed monopolies. It is for that same reason that many folks don't reckon with Carlos Slim (world's richest man).

If she wasn't allocated the oil block for free and she went through the "due process" multinationals go through - what's the fuss about??

At the end of the day, it's a business and everyone is allowed bid it...

Anyway, I'll always support legit indigenous companies who're investing and paying taxes in Nigeria over multinationals who have been raping us since independence...

It's a capitalist society(albeit Nigeria's version is flawed) and till we change the system, the woman did no wrong IMO...
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 5:58pm On Nov 28, 2012
afam4eva: @Shymmex and Sagamite
Both of you are right and wrong at the same time. We all know how people cut corners to get juicy deals in Nigeria. You have to know some one or know someone that knows someone to get an oil well in Nigeria. But i don't think this practice is peculiar to Nigeria. Even though the Bill Gates and Ellisons of this world put on their thinking cap to create a great product, that's just one step of the way. If they tell you what they did to get to the level that they're presently you'll see that it's a global practice. So, let's give the woman a break. Though i disagree that she's more intelligent than the average Nigerian because if the average Nigerian is given the kind of privilege that the likes of Dangote, Adenuga and Alakijas, they'll do just as much if not better.

Both of you should sheath your swords...

I don't even want to start listing the malpractices Microsoft is involved in... It's a global practice and everyone cuts corners to get juicy deals... However, as long as the business is legit and they go through the "due process" required at the place - you can't really blame them, can you??

Once you practice capitalism, it's always about cutting corners to maximise your profit... But it's also about supporting the lesser devil... Perhaps, that's why I'd rather support indigenous companies winning oil blocks and paying for them - than see foreigners doing the same thing and taking the money out of the country...

As far as I'm concerned, the woman did no wrong...
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by onila(f): 6:00pm On Nov 28, 2012
Naija 4 life!
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 6:06pm On Nov 28, 2012
[size=18pt]The woman was the designer for First Lady Ndidi Mariam Babangida so if you are looking for how she got an oil bloc,there in lies your answer
Na so dem gather tif our collective wealth .
[/size]
So when you accuse IBB of thievery remember the accomplices,male and female.
End of story
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 6:08pm On Nov 28, 2012
^^^Did she get for free or pay for it??
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 6:11pm On Nov 28, 2012
shymexx: ^^^Did she get for free or pay for it??

A question for dolly
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Sagamite(m): 6:47pm On Nov 28, 2012
shymexx:

If she wasn't allocated the oil block for free and she went through the "due process" multinationals go through - what's the fuss about??

At the end of the day, it's a business and everyone is allowed bid it...

Anyway, I'll always support legit indigenous companies who're investing and paying taxes in Nigeria over multinationals who have been raping us since independence...

It's a capitalist society(albeit Nigeria's version is flawed) and till we change the system, the woman did no wrong IMO...

You are a person!

What same due process as multinationals did she go through?

She has the same infrastructure, experience and technical expertise?

In your hoodrat school did they teach you the meaning of "due process"?
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Sagamite(m): 6:48pm On Nov 28, 2012
shymexx:

I don't even want to start listing the malpractices Microsoft is involved in... It's a global practice and everyone cuts corners to get juicy deals... However, as long as the business is legit and they go through the "due process" required at the place - you can't really blame them, can you??

Once you practice capitalism, it's always about cutting corners to maximise your profit... But it's also about supporting the lesser devil... Perhaps, that's why I'd rather support indigenous companies winning oil blocks and paying for them - than see foreigners doing the same thing and taking the money out of the country...

As far as I'm concerned, the woman did no wrong...

person, start naming the malpractice Microsoft got involved in.

Dig your own hole and I will bury you in it.
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by manny4life(m): 7:47pm On Nov 28, 2012
This argument isn't going away anytime soon.

@Shymexx, I do have a question though - what was her net worth prior to the purchase of the oil block? The reason I ask because the change in value of Naira from then till now isn't really that significant? How much was this block bought for? So I went further to research about oil blocks and found that they run in tens of million of $$$. Question is, was she really worth millions of $$$ to be able to spend such heavy amount for the purchase?

However, I do agree with you that there's no multinational that isn't corrupt, though I seriously question their ethical behavior; nonetheless, I can't really blame them nor hold them accountable because the regulating govt that gave them the opportunity to harness that loophole is to be blame.
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Sagamite(m): 8:02pm On Nov 28, 2012
manny4life: This argument isn't going away anytime soon.

@Shymexx, I do have a question though - what was her net worth prior to the purchase of the oil block? The reason I ask because the change in value of Naira from then till now isn't really that significant? How much was this block bought for? So I went further to research about oil blocks and found that they run in tens of million of $$$. Question is, was she really worth millions of $$$ to be able to spend such heavy amount for the purchase?

However, I do agree with you that there's no multinational that isn't corrupt, though I seriously question their ethical behavior; nonetheless, I can't really blame them nor hold them accountable because the regulating govt that gave them the opportunity to harness that loophole is to be blame.

There is no way you can do business smoothly without corruption in Nigeria, ESPECIALLY in the oil sector.

I am obviously not blaming her or the oil multinationals. At least not the major blame. Especially her, as unlike me, I bet she does not have a Western passport to leave the country. She has to play along with the system as best as possible to survive in her environment where she has limited to no power to effect the positive change especially under a military rule. The major blame is for the Nigerian government and power brokers.

What I am just offended about is this poorly educated person saying her lame corruption-dependent tactics is a sign of her shrewdness, business-mind and intellectual power.

These kind of low IQ cretins are what we mostly have as a nation and they will come and boast they are educated.

1 Like

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 11:08pm On Nov 28, 2012
manny4life: This argument isn't going away anytime soon.

Brother, I don't know woman from Adam and I'm not privy to her worth before the oil block... I also asked questions when I first saw the story, just like everyone else... However, I've reading about her background; how she ran a successful fashion company; her husband's background; and the oil block itself - I had to defend her against these urchins bladdered on "haterade-cider."

We've to go with the premise(according to her) that the oil block in question was an oil block nobody "wanted" when it was allocated to her... Perhaps, it was non-viable when she got it, so she must have got it at a ridiculously cheap price...If we're to go by her background in the banking industry(she used to be the head of the finance department of a bank and was successful in the corporate world) - she wouldn't have had a problem getting loans to finance the allocation... Also throw her family and husband's family background into the equation... The oil block itself was a risky business adventure when she got it - however, her fortunes changed when she went into partnership with Texaco(three years later) and they discovered that the oil block was actually a gold mine - and oil formation started there more than 17 million years ago...

To be honest, it's not even about the woman per se(albeit she has no history of being part of the corrupt system) - however, it's about the loudest voice(s) against the woman on this thread... These guys are unrepentant myopic louts who're not proud of being black - everything about them reeks nauseating low self-esteem issues, and hero-worshipping for foreigners(who have done and continues to do the same thing the woman did)... They're also unrepentant extreme capitalists!! Personally, I'm just questioning the rights they have got to critique the woman(probably because she's Nigerian) - when they'll never have critiqued her, if her name were Helen Mckenzie...

If people like: Cap28, Horus, Olodostein, and the rest of the marxist/Afrocentric group on nl were the ones against the woman, I probably wouldn't have said anything... However, people who think colonialism is a blessing to Africa should NEVER be allowed to critique hardworking black folks!!

These are the same people against the likes of: Mike Adenuga, Dangote, Innoson etc. they don't see anything good in indigenous companies... To them, if it ain't white and foreign - it must either be substandard, or a product of corruption...
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 11:14pm On Nov 28, 2012
This cu.nt stays riding everyone's dyck, jumping from pillar to post and stays changing arguments - because he has none! Freaking low IQ having eunuch!

And who the fvck gave you a Western passport? - bwahahahahahahaha

Pathetic liar! undecided
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Sagamite(m): 11:22pm On Nov 28, 2012
shymexx: This cu.nt stays riding everyone's dyck, jumping from pillar to post and stays changing arguments - because he has none! Freaking low IQ having eunuch!

And who the fvck gave you a Western passport? - bwahahahahahahaha

Pathetic liar! undecided

You are a person!

Show us where I supported oil companies on spillage, cretin.

You still don't have time? But you can type moronic epistles?
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 11:27pm On Nov 28, 2012
^^^^^^Bwahahahahaha - I don't have time for you and your dumb rhetoric...

Shout me when you graduate from adult school - till then, hit the motorway(preferably M5 at night)... undecided
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Ngodigha1(m): 11:34pm On Nov 28, 2012
Sagamite:

You lack the respect because you are not a product of a hoodrat education!

At your level, you need something more inspiring.

You are my hero any time any day.

2 Likes

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Sagamite(m): 11:40pm On Nov 28, 2012
shymexx: ^^^^^^Bwahahahahaha - I don't have time for you and your dumb rhetoric...

Shout me when you graduate from adult school - till then, hit the motorway(preferably M5 at night)... undecided

person, don't you think you are the one that needs to go to adult school so you can rightfully select which people should inspire you and know what due process is? grin

Cretin!
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Sagamite(m): 11:41pm On Nov 28, 2012
Ngodigha1:

You are my hero any time any day.

Thanks. No mind the person!
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 12:05am On Nov 29, 2012
Getting a cosign from Ngodigha1 is like getting a cosign from Musiwa - bwahahahaha

Birds of a feather with bushman pint-sized brains! undecided
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Ngodigha1(m): 12:16am On Nov 29, 2012
shymexx: Getting a cosign from Ngodigha1 is like getting a cosign from Musiwa - bwahahahaha

Go and hide your face in shame. He has single handedly devoured you and your collaborators here.
Dude, you have lost it. Quit.
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 12:21am On Nov 29, 2012
^^^Says Andre_uweh... grin
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Sagamite(m): 12:23am On Nov 29, 2012
shymexx: Getting a cosign from Ngodigha1 is like getting a cosign from Musiwa - bwahahahaha

You are a person!

This is coming from a hoodrat that only knows conjectures? grin

1 Like

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by demmy(m): 3:41am On Nov 29, 2012
chosen04: she has an oil bloc that pulls in N157 million a day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SW peeps robbing the natural resources of SS people and not contributing a kobo to their "host upkeep"

So in your cotton wool brain only "SW peeps" have oil blocks?!!! Nigerian wonder.
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by demmy(m): 4:12am On Nov 29, 2012
vanessa_ra: How does one acquire an oil block? Need to change career fast

Actually any Nigerian can apply for license, lease or contract to prospect for oil offshore. The problem is the typical Nigerian ignorance, they confuse prospecting for oil (oil block) for oil itself. Many Nigerians after having been awarded the oil blocks suddenly realized that they have no idea how, or the finance to bring out oil from deep under water. You can Google to see how much oil rigs cost. Or the technical knowledge needed. My point is its not beans to make money from oil blocks so don't change your career yet. grin
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 6:54am On Nov 29, 2012
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by kolexy(m): 11:26am On Nov 29, 2012
Sagamite:

Thank you! Don't mind the fucktards like shymexxx.

Nigeria's oil is being shared by some few and the criteria of getting a share is likely to be one the following:

- You are one of the corrupt leaders making the decision
- You have some political power the corrupt leaders making the decision respect
- You are a relative of one of the corrupt leaders making the decision
- You have bribed the corrupt leaders making the decision
- You are male bosom friends and part of the clique of one of the most powerful men amongst the corrupt leaders making the decision
- You can do something "extremely special" for one, or most likely many, of the corrupt leaders making the decision

Your guess is as good as mine which of the criteria she was able to meet to get an oil block.

While fucktards like shymexxx call her a shrewd business women. Fcking cretinous hoodrat with a poor education that one has to keep reminding he is daft.

If our oil is being distributed based on merit, how come someone like Hakeem Belo-Osagie does not have a huge oil block considering he is a shrewd Harvard-educated businessman with a degree in petroleum economics, was a former special adviser to the Presidency on oil and petroleum and has millions of dollars he made from UBA to pay for it? Fucktards like shymexxx think he does not want an oil bloc? He is not qualified or rich enough to afford it? Fcking cretin!

How did Hakeem Bello Osagie acquire Goverment shares in UBA? Where did he make his money from, if not from goverment. Or is Havard a money making institution, or is it family money? The fact that Hakeem schooled at Havard does not make him smarter than the rest of us. You can mention some other folks, but not Bello Osagie.
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Sagamite(m): 12:29pm On Nov 29, 2012
kolexy:

How did Hakeem Bello Osagie acquire Goverment shares in UBA? Where did he make his money from, if not from goverment. Or is Havard a money making institution, or is it family money? The fact that Hakeem schooled at Havard does not make him smarter than the rest of us. You can mention some other folks, but not Bello Osagie.

I don't know how he got government shares but I can guarantee you that as someone who graduated from King's College Lagos when it was still a school and with a PPE ug degree from Oxford, Law ug degree from Cambridge and an MBA degree from Harvard, he is 1bn times smarter than the rest of you.

I am not the type to think academic qualifications is the sign of utmost intelligence but I have heard the guy talk and he is not small meat intellectually.
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Dede1(m): 2:57pm On Nov 29, 2012
demmy:

Actually any Nigerian can apply for license, lease or contract to prospect for oil offshore. The problem is the typical Nigerian ignorance, they confuse prospecting for oil (oil block) for oil itself. Many Nigerians after having been awarded the oil blocks suddenly realized that they have no idea how, or the finance to bring out oil from deep under water. You can Google to see how much oil rigs cost. Or the technical knowledge needed. My point is its not beans to make money from oil blocks so don't change your career yet. grin

Everybody knows it is not beans to make money from oil blocks however the issue in discussion bordered on the corrupt practices in Nigeria and the absurd manners which the leaders and cabals share the national wealth among themselves and the ladies they blow.

It is a human who was behind the mapping of Nigeria, onshore\offshore, into blocks for prospecting crude oil. These groups of humans are the cabals in Nigeria that control everything in Nigeria except daylight, night, rain and air. Have you seen people like Mrs Alakija who satisfy the needs of the cabals in Nigeria draw blank on the prospecting crude oil blocks?

It is foolhardy for anybody to assume that every Joe in Nigeria can bid for OPL. If such scenario is obtainable, there could have been, at least, one million Nigerian women in the mould of Mrs Alakija. Again, the bid to OPL is not open to anybody and process of awarding of such license to a woman does not base on the lady’s good looks alone.
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by SELFWORTH: 3:08pm On Nov 29, 2012
slimderek: She doesn't look 61

Plastic surgery talking!
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by VolvoS60(m): 8:05pm On Nov 29, 2012
Very surprising that no one thought it necessary to reference Gideonyte's post. Very surprising. undecided

The answers are there.

P.S. - the reasons why Nigeria is a @#%&$! can be found on this thread. Some Nigerians are asking perfectly legitimate questions as to how a former seamstress (not that there's anything wrong with being a seamstress, by the way) got an oil prospecting licence through notoriously opaque processes under one of Nigeria's most corrupt governments. Some other creatures are muddying the waters with tall tales about how glorious the woman's ethnic stock is, or how beautiful and glamorous she is (or used to be, or whatever).

The true story about allocation of oil prospecting licences in Nigeria will be told in full someday, with dire consequences for those who cheaply traded away or mortgaged the lives of generations yet to be born.

We wait till that day comes. And come it surely will.

3 Likes

Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by icez: 8:33pm On Nov 29, 2012
Baby mama: [size=18pt]The woman was the designer for First Lady Ndidi Mariam Babangida so if you are looking for how she got an oil bloc,there in lies your answer
Na so dem gather tif our collective wealth .
[/size]
So when you accuse IBB of thievery remember the accomplices,male and female.
End of story

+1000
Always stealing N.D. oil. angry angry
Re: Africa's Richest Woman - Nigerian Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 8:39pm On Nov 29, 2012
icez:

+1000
Always stealing N.D. oil. angry angry

What oil are they stealing??

Is the offshore oil your oil as well? - stop messing about, mate... grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply)

EndSARS Protesters Hit Osogbo Roads, Storm House Of Assembly / OBJ, IBB, Abdulsalami, Gusau, Abdullahi Are Supporting Peter Obi - Sowore / INEC Declares Adamawa Governorship Election Inconclusive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.