Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,758 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? (9398 Views)

Would You Delay Your Wedding If Your Elder Sibling(s) Is Still Unmarried? / He/she Is 'just A Friend'.12 Signs Of An Emotional Infidelity / Can You Attend The Marriage Of A Gay Brother Or Relative? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by freecocoa(f): 4:16pm On Nov 28, 2012
It depends on how close a friend I am with the person.

For you to be thinking you need an invitation, then you are not really close to the person.
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Timijo(m): 4:34pm On Nov 28, 2012
2scorehigh: A close friend of ours is having a wedding. Some of our friends said they won't be attending unless they were formally invited either verbally or through invitation card.

Sensing some animosity mixed with pomposity there, I tried to be diplomatic by telling them that from my own experience, sometimes the celebrants or organizers of such functions 'neglect' close friends simply because s/he has already assumed that such friends know that they don't actually need any formal invitation to be invited since they are his/her homies. Besides, the number of people to be invited might be so big that some people might not get the invitation cards.

They vehemently disagreed with me by saying that on the contrary, it means such a friend doesn't value you or your friendship at all, or s/he thinks you cannot give him a substantial amount of money or present and so your attending will only prove you are a 'long throat' person...
I am not a member of MMA- Mogbo Moya Association. If a friend wants me in his wedding, he or she must invite me formally or informally.
So what about you? What do you think? Will you attend a friend's wedding if you were not formally invited? Will you remind or even demand an invitation from such type of friend assuming s/he fails to invite you?
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Timijo(m): 4:35pm On Nov 28, 2012
2scorehigh: A close friend of ours is having a wedding. Some of our friends said they won't be attending unless they were formally invited either verbally or through invitation card.

Sensing some animosity mixed with pomposity there, I tried to be diplomatic by telling them that from my own experience, sometimes the celebrants or organizers of such functions 'neglect' close friends simply because s/he has already assumed that such friends know that they don't actually need any formal invitation to be invited since they are his/her homies. Besides, the number of people to be invited might be so big that some people might not get the invitation cards.

They vehemently disagreed with me by saying that on the contrary, it means such a friend doesn't value you or your friendship at all, or s/he thinks you cannot give him a substantial amount of money or present and so your attending will only prove you are a 'long throat' person...
I am not a member of MMA- Mogbo Moya Association. If a friend wants me in his wedding, he or she must invite me formally or informally.
So what about you? What do you think? Will you attend a friend's wedding if you were not formally invited? Will you remind or even demand an invitation from such type of friend assuming s/he fails to invite you?
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by BeegStan: 4:40pm On Nov 28, 2012
Na wao! same thing happen to me a shortwhile ago. my homie asked to be dropd from my cttee of friends dt i did not personaly inform him. d guy didnt attend my weddin n his is coming 3months after mine. he hasnt invited me either but i am attending his.
for some homies who r kinda close, i honestly do not think they need any 4mal invite. ( i invited d guy through facebook invite sha)
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by ajayioluwatobi(m): 4:40pm On Nov 28, 2012
~Bluetooth:

If you are not invited,it means you were never wanted there.stay away !
#GBAM.
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by justman29(m): 4:42pm On Nov 28, 2012
i will surely attend if na my close padi...poping out unexpectedly could b a surprise nd probably make his/her day... On d other hand if na 'just' friend, i better find sumtin worthwhile to do wit ma time
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Watermelon(m): 4:54pm On Nov 28, 2012
i'm not going anywhere if not invited no matter hw close we ar
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by bblacky(f): 5:04pm On Nov 28, 2012
Close as in very intimate, i will, cos no iv is needed, na we do d prep na:.

If nt as intimate just colleague, casual etc...it means 'stay clear'
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Denn(m): 5:17pm On Nov 28, 2012
Had my wedding recently.

I simply could not invite all because I have such a large network base. I did an sms band bbm broadcast, facebook calendar invites and sent out over 200 invitation cards to my clients and other big wigs. Surprisingly, I still met some guys who said though they saw my bc, they won't come if they don't get the colorful IV. I polietly told them not to come.

Not all will come, not all are expected and if you don't have the heart to embrace the possibility of your friend actually forgetting to invite you or not having the capacity to distribute physical IVs, you are not a real friend

1 Like

Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by GboyegaD(m): 5:20pm On Nov 28, 2012
I don't need an invite to attend a close friends wedding because one way or the other, we must have discussed something close that would have made him mention his function thus, I do not expect an invite to attend the wedding. In my opinion, sometimes, giving me an invite makes it kind of compelling for me to attend even if I don't feel like thus, I prefer you either mention it to me or send a general broadband sms as that would save me the stress of having to attend.
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by cobinwayahoo(m): 5:22pm On Nov 28, 2012
If I no sabi u reach house,d answer na CAPITAL NO.hehehehe
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Sike(m): 5:23pm On Nov 28, 2012
Yeah. Why not?
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by johnkent(m): 5:36pm On Nov 28, 2012
manny4life:

Expert, please explain to the novice without knowledge what an invitation is.
U still didn't answer the question. Apparently you have no clue what an invitation actually means regardless if its formal or informal.
Stay your ass at home if you're not invited. How hard is that? If you were such a close friend, I bet you would have gotten some form of invitation!
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by greatgod2012(f): 5:37pm On Nov 28, 2012
Not everybody dt invited me dt i even have time for, not to talk of somebody dt didnt invite me, i'l be very happy, afterall "gbomo wa kini, owo niina ni"
Somebody to help me interprete dt.
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by ziondaughter: 5:56pm On Nov 28, 2012
It depends on our relationship. Most times one can get so busy dat u wont remember every body n besides u want to do wat ur capacity carries
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by lanrefront1(m): 6:18pm On Nov 28, 2012
Seriously, if you have close friend, and you talk every now and then, and the guy or lady gets married, and even though you are very much aware of events preceding the wedding, and you refuse to attend; and your reason is, I WAS NOT GIVEN A FORMAL INVITE or I WAS NOT ASKED FORMALLY: that men, is a really stupid excuse. It shows shallow-ness and stupidity.

Even if there is a danger of you not been allowed to enter, you go first and let them bar you from entering.

1 Like

Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 28, 2012
Why would anyone attend a wedding or any function uninvited?
That is just fool.ish
Unless there were no cards distributed and the whole invitation was by word of mouth ,even at that I expect to hear of the function directly from the celebrant.
If cards were distributed,I expect to get one
[size=18pt]people do not forget to give cards to those they really want to come share in their joy with them[/size]
My first cousin was having a wedding,her sibling called me to get my address for the invitation,I sent it,he sent me the wedding website,I waited and never got a card,other cousins got cards,apparently it finished before they got to me,I didn't attend the wedding.
Pure and simple.
No hard feelings.
One must be really desperate to attend a function uninvited
If they didn't send you a card,they obviously sent to the people that matter to them more than you do
Sit your backside in your home
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Nov 28, 2012
Reading these responses,now I see the reason people sometimes run out of food and drinks and sitting spaces at Nigerian functions
You can't even have a proper working number to plan with
All these uninvited guests claiming relationship and gate crashing into people's parties
You hire a hall that sits 300 expecting 300 and cater for 375 because of gatecrashers and 500 show up shocked shocked shocked
Sit your hungry behinds in your homes I say !
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Connoisseur(m): 7:07pm On Nov 28, 2012
If its a close wexding thats even helping with the wedding plans; then definitely they dnt need an invite. How do you start inviting someone who helped you maker choices on date, venue and other things to your wedding.
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by gbadexy(m): 7:31pm On Nov 28, 2012
I don't think close friends need an invite but courtesy demands that he should at least tell them informally by calling or word of mouth.
I will never go to such event if not invited but if a common friend tells ♍ƺ ahead I can challenge him when I see him and go.
such events keep the couples preoccupied but real close friends are carried along or well informed if not informed just know they don't see you as a close friend irrespective of how close you think you are to them.
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Nov 28, 2012
I no go come anytin, com do wetin whn u weren't invited, even if u were a paddy-paddy, and so ? we should be gettin d 1st copies of d cards as commenters, anywhere I ain't going, but ama call and congratulad dude, and soon afterwards, presents will follow.
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Nov 28, 2012

i was so excited a close friend/ classmate was tying the knot...i stay in lagos, he benin, i was going to fix my car and make plans not to miss it. had a bit of financial deficiency to make the trip, and all the while planning, all i got was a request to contribute money for a bachelor's eve party. i wasnt even pinged, called, or sent an invitation letter. i got a group sms though. i didnt go...i still got a group sms, thanking me for making the day a success, anyway, still havent wished him a happy married life...sucks
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by timisnup(m): 7:49pm On Nov 28, 2012
Lailai...... I won't
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by RudySmith(m): 8:28pm On Nov 28, 2012
If it is a very close friend and I didn't get an invite, then I expect him to verbally mention that I should come. If he never mentionned the wedding in my presence then that means I am not welcomed there. If I didn't get the invite but he mention the wedding in my presence then I will clearly ask about the invite that I didnt receive, but there is no way I will show up at the wedding if it is not clearly stated that I should.

Some wedding dinner party have tables with names of each guest already reserved, how can I crash the party?
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by kspeed(m): 8:38pm On Nov 28, 2012
Akin-David:
I have done that in the past and my friend later apologized. Definitely there could be more reason than omission

Well same here too!he felt really bad seeing me and he tried everything possible that very day to satisfy me by giving me attention and ordering me drinks and rest.
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by linearity: 9:05pm On Nov 28, 2012
If he/she is a close friend and from what I could recalled, there is no problem with the friendship. I will attend the church wedding, but will not attend the wedding reception.

A lot of wedding receptions are planned according to the number of people who will attend, and chances are, if you were not invited, you might not have been included in the reception head count. You attending the church wedding is giving your friend the benefit of a doubt that the missed-invitation was not ill intended and not attending the reception will ensure that you do not end up being a gate crasher.
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by baby124: 9:11pm On Nov 28, 2012
No, and i expect others to respect my wishes too. You dont get an invite, pls pls pls, dont show up. I will ignore. undecided
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by NosaHenry(m): 10:41pm On Nov 28, 2012
If u guys are really close pals as you suggested u would ve been carried along even in the preparation. If u have not been hinted at all by the bride or groom shows that your present is not welcome there. Pls stay away
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by fortyfeet(m): 11:36pm On Nov 28, 2012
johnkent: You don't attend a wedding you're not invited to regardless of how close you are to the bride or groom. If they really want you there, you would have been invited.
Earlier this year, I attended a friends wedding without invitation. It was not really my intention to, but one other friend who was formally invited encouraged me to and I did. I equally made sure the celebrant saw me in the church by shocking hands with him immediately after the wedding service and also joined in one of the photos, also offered a gift. Till this day, am yet to receive a thank you for attending our wedding message or call. But, the other friend I went with within 24hrs was appreciated. Believe me, I travelled from Minna then to Enugu strictly to attend the wedding.
I see it as my worst decision so far in the year. You can learn from this.
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by caesaraba(m): 12:14am On Nov 29, 2012
Most of y'all have spoken my mind already. If it's someone really close, I'd definitely be involved in the preparations leading up to the d day. Na me go tell am to save im money no send me card/sms sef. If it's someone not too close (colleague, old disconnected friend or former classmate) but residing in the same town as me, I'll attend the church wedding as that doesn't take away anything from me (another opportunity to attend service/mass sef) and clears out the possibilty of any uneasy feelings that might arise when we meet after the wedding. I do understand that people can really get caught up in the beehive of activities leading up to wedding days. Most times sha, your instincts tell you when it's a deliberate "I no wan see u for hia!"
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by dayokanu(m): 12:37am On Nov 29, 2012
Why not pick your phone and call the guy to ask if he wants you there or not
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Teejayphillip(m): 12:44am On Nov 29, 2012
Why not? I'll surely attend,daz if d person is zo close 2 me..

Wen it coms 2 weddin preparation or any parry preparation,no b evrybodi u go rememba 2 invite.Daz Y most times,one as 2 start writin lists of friends down,b4 U start plannin 4 any occassion..

Daz Wat I did durin my weddin,n all my fwends n close colleagues n past friends are all dia 2 grace d parry..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Married WOMEN Taking A Cruise To The Caribbeans ALL ALONE! / 5 Tips For Blending Into A New Culture When You Relocate. / Post Your Xmas Wish Here . . .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.