Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,045 members, 7,821,590 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" (56137 Views)

Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland / Good Morning To My Fellow Virgins, How was Your Night? / Seun, What Is Wrong In Posting "Medìafire" Links (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by uwa1(m): 12:59pm On Nov 28, 2012
Dere is nothing wrong wit it.
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by tayolove12(m): 12:59pm On Nov 28, 2012
That is too bad to be asking someone how is your nite for what
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by IleIfe2(m): 12:59pm On Nov 28, 2012
Table Leg :
Personally i dont like that question .... say good morning and move the fu/ck on, dont worry about the past!
grin grin No time
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by lumideezle(m): 1:00pm On Nov 28, 2012
It is very unprofessional that was the first thing my boss told me never to as a client.
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by cold(m): 1:03pm On Nov 28, 2012
Typical Naija show of aggression. Too pious for their own good. I don't see any other country where such an innocuous remark as 'how was your night' would mean anything besides that. Some Nigerians can be very hostile..sheesh!

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by dazzler2001: 1:04pm On Nov 28, 2012
The lady's night must have been frustrating, thus the reaction.... She wan 'do' but hubby no gree so she was dry and starved all night. Now what do you expect her reaction to be when asked "how was your night" in the morning?

She gast flare up nah!
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by nagoma(m): 1:06pm On Nov 28, 2012
lumideezle: It is very unprofessional that was the first thing my boss told me never to as a client.

"How is your night?" is not an english greeting and there is no answer to it. "Good morning" is the standard english greeeting and the reply is "good morning".

I dont know where Nigerians got that from. I dislike and always ignore that probing nonsensical greeting/question.
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by Knowyaself(m): 1:07pm On Nov 28, 2012
I think the best way to ask is 'hope u had a good night rest'.even 'hope u slept well' can be misconstrued as 'how was ur night'
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by ujoatu(m): 1:07pm On Nov 28, 2012
Freiburger: Nothing; same as it is when asking someone ''how was your day''?
"day" and "NIGHT" are not the same. do you dress same way at night as you do in the day?
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by dmcdad: 1:10pm On Nov 28, 2012
Nah... I've thought this through and through and I can affirm that, there is certainly nothing wrong with that line; "how was ur nite?"

This is used to get a general remark of how it did go. If some proposes that it's wrong, then questions like: how was the party?, how was your day?, etc would be wrong too. The fact is, people usually make mountains out of mole-hills. Dnt be surprised that, that same woman can be be greeted "good morning" and she'll respond with "what's good about the morning?"

i no knw wetin dy bite many pple sef. Even tho say sumtin dy wrong with d statement, buh she undastand d reply wey d guy want. Y not just answer "fine" or "my 9t was good" blah blah blah

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by kennytidistar(m): 1:10pm On Nov 28, 2012
YOU GUYS AND GALS SHOULD KNOW THAT NIGHT IS VERY CONFIDENTIAL, MORE OVER THE NIGHT IS DARK AND NOBODY SEEE ANYTHING SO SEVERAL THINGS MAY HAD HAPPEN AT NIGHT UNKNOWN EVEN TO THE PERSON YOU ARE ASKING.
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by dmcdad: 1:13pm On Nov 28, 2012
nagoma:

"How is your night?" is not an english greeting and there is no answer to it. "Good morning" is the standard english greeeting and the reply is "good morning".

I dont know where Nigerians got that from. I dislike and always ignore that probing nonsensical greeting/question.

WTH! Who say its a form of greeting?
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by AdoreKIZITO(f): 1:14pm On Nov 28, 2012
Some1 asked me the same question this morning, so i was very anoyed becos he reminded me of my unpleasant night rest.. Pls, Don't ask that question to some1 who slept uner the bridge......
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by Ofuks(m): 1:15pm On Nov 28, 2012
I think its an annoyingly funny question coming from a person who you know doesn't really care if you had nightmares or a splitting headache as a result of your neighbors overnight generator noise! grin grin grin A simple good morning will do. grin
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by dmcdad: 1:16pm On Nov 28, 2012
kennytidistar: YOU GUYS AND GALS SHOULD KNOW THAT NIGHT IS VERY CONFIDENTIAL, MORE OVER THE NIGHT IS DARK AND NOBODY SEEE ANYTHING SO SEVERAL THINGS MAY HAD HAPPEN AT NIGHT UNKNOWN EVEN TO THE PERSON YOU ARE ASKING.

Even in the day.. Can u actually take cognizance of everything that happens during the day? Don't you see that question as a remark.. The thing is, how was the 9t 2 u? (general remark)..
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by mrscolite(f): 1:16pm On Nov 28, 2012
LOL! It a non issue to me. How was ur night? Oh it was fine,thank u. No one is asking u for details like oh I slept nnakedd or whatever.
I think the lady was sorta frustrated and snapped or maybe the guy bn eyeing her& she doesn't like the attention. undecided

Some people don't even like a simple HOW ARE U? It demeaning to them So u can't pls everyone. Maybe nigerians at home should just skip all greetings and just ask R U OK? grin *fry pan to fire* tongue
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by dmcdad: 1:16pm On Nov 28, 2012
AdoreKIZITO: Some1 asked me the same question this morning, so i was very anoyed becos he reminded me of my unpleasant night rest.. Pls, Don't ask that question to some1 who slept uner the bridge......

Lol
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by oyedun82(m): 1:18pm On Nov 28, 2012
MR A: HW WAS YOUR NIGHT?

ME: I SLEPT SO I DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO MY NIGHT.
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by aribisala0(m): 1:18pm On Nov 28, 2012
It is not an English greeting it is a Nigerian greeting just like other users of English around the world from

Detroit To Delhi or Cape Town to Canberra

have created theirs so nothing wrong in NIgerians doing that the issue is when it should or should not be used.

What's up
How is it hanging
Hooroo
Ga day
Hoezit

Are Not English greetings but use English words and are no more valid than
"How was ya nite"
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by dmcdad: 1:20pm On Nov 28, 2012
mrscolite: LOL! It a non issue to me. How was ur night? Oh it was fine,thank u. No one is asking u for details like oh I slept nnakedd or whatever.
I think the lady was sorta frustrated and snapped or maybe the guy bn eyeing her& she doesn't like the attention. undecided

Some people don't even like a simple HOW ARE U? It demeaning to them So u can't pls everyone. Maybe nigerians at home should just skip all greetings and just ask R U OK? grin *fry pan to fire* tongue

You wan cuz trouble abi? Go ask person "are u ok?" weda no b curses e go rain put 4 ur head weda na u dm send... Lol

we 9jerians knw how 2 read silly meanings 2 tinz
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by Lovetinz(m): 1:21pm On Nov 28, 2012
The result of poor conversational abilities.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by omibia(m): 1:21pm On Nov 28, 2012
I usually say "I don't know how my night was but I woke up fine" this is because I don't know what happened in my night because I was sleeping and there was no way I could have know how it went.
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by flops: 1:21pm On Nov 28, 2012
The question is awkward and sometimes it is simply inappropriate between ordinary acquaintances
and office colleagues.

I have searched English greetings on the internet and asked Professors and
the answer is the same, such a greeting does not exist.

Its better to simply ask "how are you" or "how do you do".

If one must ask such a question, then its between family members or close relatives or people who live in the same house,
Ideally then you can answer how your night was. ( if it was bad, you can explain why)

If of you ask any other person, it cannot be answered properly.

I believe its one of those Nigerian terms that although generally used,
are grammatically wrong.

e.g mr. X is "not on seat"
or "I met his absence"
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by tintingz(m): 1:22pm On Nov 28, 2012
I wonder what kinda peeps we have in this Naija. . .'how was your night is now an insult?' maybe some peeps did nasty stuff that night. . .ignoranticulation of the highestmatic creaturist angry greeting in simple manner

To save una sef from a dirty slap or insults from a crapy person. . .just ask 'how was your night rest' 'did you sleep well'
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by dmcdad: 1:27pm On Nov 28, 2012
flops: The question is awkward and sometimes it is simply inappropriate between ordinary acquaintances
and office colleagues.

If one must ask such a question, then its between family members or close relatives or people who live in the same house,
Ideally then you can answer how your night was. ( if it was bad, you can explain why)

are grammatically wrong.

or "I met his absence"

Slangs and Jargons are part of the english language. Do u know that? Buh they are not accepted in formal settings. That could apply here too. U can say it shouldn't be used in formal settings buh that doesn't make it entirely wrong. Don't you agree?
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by nagoma(m): 1:29pm On Nov 28, 2012
dmcdad:

WTH! Who say its a form of greeting?

What is it then? An Inquest?
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by Bawss1(m): 1:29pm On Nov 28, 2012
And I used to think I was the only one thoroughly disgusted by that question!

It's not easily explained but that question is highly inappropriate, its not fitting for colleagues, acquaintances and certain types of friends to ask. A wise Teacher once taught that certain boundaries must be put in place if one is to deal correctly with his fellow men, these boundaries exist, amongst other forms, in the titles we use when addressing others and the degree of familiarity that those titles suggest. . . and I suspect, not sure though, that this question is a breach of one such boundaries.
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by 1forall: 1:30pm On Nov 28, 2012
Don't like it, think it's a needless attempt to sound/appear formal in greeting when 'how are you?' is enough.
Irritatingly it's gradually becoming a widespread tradition and unfortunately will become difficult to correct at this rate.
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by aribisala0(m): 1:32pm On Nov 28, 2012
flops: The question is awkward and sometimes it is simply inappropriate between ordinary acquaintances
and office colleagues.

are grammatically wrong.

or "I met his absence"

No need to ask Professors they do not create Languages and a phrase or word exists the moment it has several subscribers. It might be annoying but it does "EXIST" and we need to we wary of the Colo Mentality that prescribes language being disseminated from the top down. Languages NEVER stand still and keep evolving.Take the word GAY for example it means something completely different today and those so called PROFESSORS had to surrender to the change.

Just as they resent What's up,What's cooking,popping etc those are all recognizable forms of greeting. Language is a servant not a Master and its users always change it to meet their needs. Even in the UK(the origin of English) there are phrases like "How am ya? How are youse(plural) which have their minority users and are VERY valid. English now no longer belongs to the English and nothing stops a population of 100 million plus charting their own course

By the way ,, How was ya last nite??
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by dmcdad: 1:36pm On Nov 28, 2012
nagoma:

What is it then? An Inquest?

It's just a question.. And that's why it comes after any form of greeting. Can u see someone in the morning and the first thing to emanates from your mouth is "how was ur night?" without the usual greeting? Surely u must have greeted each other first
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by tintingz(m): 1:37pm On Nov 28, 2012
Bawss1: And I used to think I was the only one thoroughly disgusted by that question!

It's not easily explained but that question is highly inappropriate, its not fitting for colleagues, acquaintances and certain types of friends to ask. A wise Teacher once taught that certain boundaries must be put in place if one is to deal correctly with his fellow men, these boundaries exist, amongst other forms, in the titles we use when addressing others and the degree of familiarity that those titles suggest. . . and I suspect, not sure though, that this question is a breach of one such boundaries.

ofcos you can't ask a stranger 'how was your night' and an insult to your relatives??
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by kawazaki(m): 1:37pm On Nov 28, 2012
Waooo Nigerians. We are too aggressive !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is This How Our Soldiers Are Trained? / I Killed This Snake In My Compound, What Type Of Snake Is It? / The Big Bush Rat Killed At My Backyard (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.