Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,434 members, 7,823,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Ðoes Marriage Maketh The Man? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ðoes Marriage Maketh The Man? (627 Views)

The Law, The Husband, The Wife Or The Man, Who Is To Blame For This? (snapshots) / 10 Signs The Man Wooing You Has Another Woman/ May Be Married / 21 Questions To Ask The Man Or Woman You Want To Marry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ðoes Marriage Maketh The Man? by Ryda(m): 10:52am On Dec 02, 2012
On boy wonders, lonely bachelors and whether marriage makes you happy.
I’m at that point in the space-time continuum when I can trot out the gross generalisation"all my friends are getting married". I say it’s ageneralisation because not everyone is getting actually married – not everyone can, for one – and it's gross because it props up the notion marriage is the ultimate expression of relationship success. In my view, nuptials are not necessarily.
But it stands; many of my friends are marriage mad.
Except for the blokes, that is.
Why are men around my age so reluctant to tie the knot?
Several women I know – all around 30 – are beginning to question the wisdom of the wedding ultimatum. "Either you propose to me by Christmas or we're quits, pal," they say."We've been together long enough now, it's 'I do' or die.”
They wonder what’s holding up their husbands-to-be. They’re all in long-term, apparently loving relationships. Isn't marriagethe next logical step?
Variously, they decide it's not their man, but the men he hangs out with. The single lads; lads who love a night out, aren’t 'shackled' with a ball and chain, and who make fun of supine surrender under his missus's thumb. These are the boy wonders who won't ever 'grow up'.
(Note how marriage is still aligned with maturity. Is a ring really the sign of a more developed individual?)
On that idea, I recently had a conversation with a close man-friend of mine. He may be described as the definitive leader of Lost Boys. At least, he might have been, were it notfor the new Wendy-lady in his life. Suddenly, the serial playmaker had found
a reason to stop flying and settle down. His band of boys didn't really understand. That was hard. Couldhe overcome their derision and 'man-up' to marriage?
"I think my boyfriend will get over his friends and we'll get there eventually," a girlfriend, in a different-but-like situation told me recently."But I think the longer we leave it, the harder it becomes."
This is because of two things, she thinks. One: the diminishing chances his single friends will find a lady of their own and break-apart the dude squad. Two: the increased likelihood their friends, who are already married, will divorce.
Her points are somewhat valid. Based on Australian marriage statistics, there are roughly two 'peak' periods for meeting a life partner. The median age for first marriage sits at around 30 for both men and women (or 29 for men and 27 for women), so the years preceding the big three-zero are optimal match-making time. Then there’s the so-called 'second round' stretch, when a surge of newly single divorcees hit the market. Given most marriages that end in divorce tend to do so after eight to nine years, round two begins at around 36.
What the above fails to mention, of course, is that the number of births outside marriage isrising along with the age of the mothers (interestingly their median age is around the same that for first-time brides), and the crudemarriage rate is declining as de facto co-habitation rates are rising. This doesn't suggest that couples comprising a peer group are just as likely to be married as they are de facto, with or without children, but it does suggest a variety of relationship optionsare presented to people with increasing regularity.
So in one sense, the reasoning that men are putting off marriage because they've seen the broken or bad marriages of their formerly'free and single' mates is flawed; they may beless inclined to propose marriage because they’ve seen their mates shacked up in circumstances less official which are just as satisfying (if not more).
But then you read articles like this, tellingly titled I was a "male spinster", and you're reminded just how locked in to this marriage ideal we really are. Yes, even blokes. Fact remains; marriage remains our chief expression of love. It is closely linked with an ever expanding scholarship on the attainment of happiness. Not only is this strong reason to bring forward marriage equality, but it's a good reminder to anyone in a relationship treading around the edges of eternal commitment to talk about it, and resolve to abide by the outcome.
Even if that outcome is: Yes to marriage, but not to you.
And, I have to say, that may just be the painfultruth so many so desperate to get hitched have to face. Yes, marriage can make you happy. But a bad marriage will make you miserable. Yes, timing plays a part, but there is such a thing as right time, wrong person.
Surely the point question should be not why so many men appear so reluctant to marry, but why so many women appear to be so eager?
(At this juncture, I'd like to point out I'm not assuming all women want to get married. Kill that thought in your head dead before commenting below please. Of course all women want to get married. It is science*)
(*Please tell me you don’t need this asterisk as confirmation that I am, indeed, joking.)
Over to you. Are you married? Are you single?Are you de facto? Are u happy?
Re: Ðoes Marriage Maketh The Man? by k2039: 11:18am On Dec 02, 2012
Ofcourse the thread is too long for me to read.

But from the heading and some few lines I read,I can confidently tell you that marriage doesnt make one a man,it's one's ability to take responsibilty and make good choices that makes one a man
Re: Ðoes Marriage Maketh The Man? by greatgod2012(f): 11:23am On Dec 02, 2012
Can someone pls summarise d thread for me, its just too long for me to read............when i read d summary, i will post my comments.

1 Like

Re: Ðoes Marriage Maketh The Man? by Ryda(m): 12:52pm On Dec 02, 2012
greatgod2012: Can someone pls summarise d thread for me, its just too long for me to read............when i read d summary, i will post my comments.

The question is about if marriage makes u happy...or do u want to continue leaving the club life?

or are u matured enough to get married nd start a family
so many questions
there just read d last part nd ansa d question.
Re: Ðoes Marriage Maketh The Man? by greatgod2012(f): 3:39pm On Dec 02, 2012
Im married and im happy being married, i wasnt into clubbing or partying b4 i got married, so i cant really compare and i cant say i regret getting married, so, i enjoy my marriage, it makes me more mature, tolerant, accountable, responsible and above all, God fearing.
Hope that answers your question.
Re: Ðoes Marriage Maketh The Man? by baby124: 3:43pm On Dec 02, 2012
Not everyone should get married, neither should everyone have kids. Marriage does not make or break anyone. Some people are quite satisfied being live-in partners with no kids. And I see nothing wrong with that. How an individual chooses to live his life, should be based on what he wants for his life and what he can handle. Let us stop pushing this marriage issue down people's throats abeg. Its not for everyone. Just do you, but find someone that truthfully agrees to the lifestyle.
Re: Ðoes Marriage Maketh The Man? by dBard: 6:44am On Dec 03, 2012
Bloody Hell.. that is one looooonnnnnngggggggggg piece. slept off while reading it..woke up still on it.. shocked
Re: Ðoes Marriage Maketh The Man? by dBard: 6:55am On Dec 03, 2012
Marriage has always been regarded as the height of ones willingness t accept responsibility, thus signalling, t some, the boys full passage/transformation into a man. unwillingness t tow dat line can be misinterpreted as one not bin able t take full responsibility as a man. that is y Men Fellowships in churches r f d married men n y we have terms like ManChild..
Re: Ðoes Marriage Maketh The Man? by Lasinoh: 9:05am On Dec 03, 2012
Single or married IA MA A VERY HAPPY CAMPER ANY DAY, ANY TIME.cool
Just bored with the marriage matter.
But I like it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than 'single old KAYGO' life o! grin

Getting married is the EASY PART!
Staying married does not mean you have to be happy.
Once you have tasted marriage. . . single life by divorce or widowhood becomes UNPALATABLE. . . especially if your spouse is DAMN ABOVE AVERAGE SPOUSE! Getting a replacement is like substituting Duracel batteries for 'BEREC'!
It is better to have remained single than to have failed in marriage.
A bad marriage is ALWAYS BETTER THAN A GOOD DIVORCE!
Amen! cool

(1) (Reply)

Mom Awakens And Finds Python Wrapped Around Her 2 Year Old Daughter / Convicted Killer Caught Trying To Escape Prison In A Suitcase Carried By Lover / Marriage Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.