Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli (4719 Views)

BUHARI VS 50 CENT - 7 THINGS IN COMMON: BY AMECHI OKOLI / LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli / Hip Hop Beefs:An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli @IamDoubleSix (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 03, 2012
Where Are The Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli

Monday evening,my studio session is done and am chilling at a bar,having a drink and listening to Lil Kim’s classic ‘Ladies Night’ featuring Angie Martinez,Missy Elliot,Da Brat and Left Eye(R.I.P)

I paused the track and asked myself,,what the hell happened to the female rappers?

As a producer & lover of music,a question like that would definitely drag me back to the hip hop scene in Naija.

Sasha did it,Blaise was fierce on the mic,Kemistry had the attitude and Kel came through with a fresh flow,a few others followed but fell off almost as soon as they came and their impact was not so authoritative.

No doubt these afore-mentioned ladies did their thing on the mic and gave the chicks a voice in Naija Hip Hop,many would agree that the biggest step up for the female M.Cs in this part of the world came when the legendary DJ Jimmy Jatt released the critically acclaimed single ‘Too Much’ which featured Blaise,Kemistry,Sasha & Bouqui.

A wicked collaboration which a couple o’ male rappers would envy(I aint calling no names) since then the females have been a bit quiet leaving dudes like M.I,Iceprince,Sauce Kid,Olamide,Vector,Ill Bliss etc to completely dominate the game.

In America(the Mecca of rap music) the females have also been on the low but the difference between their situation and ours is that every now and then they always have at least one female rapper who tops the charts and competes viciously with their male counterparts eg Queen Lateefah,Salt N Peppa,Da Brat,Lil Kim,Foxy Brown,Missy Elliot,Eve and most recently Nicki Minaj(who is currently hot!!!) At their respective peaks they sold millions of records and received massive radio & video airplay,gaining huge respect and endorsements from the male folk.

You may have asked yourself this question before,,howcome Nicki Minaj is currently the only female rapper doing well in America? Could it be her well shaped backside? Lol.

Back to Naija..There’s a fresh pack of femcees coming through.,new flow,new ginger, new mentality and a craving for commercial success, Femcees like Zee, Tesh Carter, Pryse & MsChief who are all creating a serious buzz around the radio & the internet.

Hopefully they will do very well commercially and give the dudes a run for their money cos if they don’t then I’ll ask the same question again..Where are the femcees?

Now let me go back to the track that inspired this article in the first place (now pressing play)

PEACE!!!

http://feeleh.com/2012/12/03/where-are-the-femcees-an-article-by-amechi-double-six-okoli/
Pls Read & Share
Follow @IamDoubleSix

God Bless!

2 Likes

Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by mikuz(m): 11:01pm On Dec 03, 2012
Naija female rappers na wa for una oh.

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by Nobody: 7:07am On Dec 04, 2012
mikuz: Naija female rappers na wa for una oh.

@Mikuz pls put up the article on ur blog and there's something I need to talk 2 u about..thanks!
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by mikuz(m): 7:44am On Dec 04, 2012
amechi213:

@Mikuz pls put up the article on ur blog and there's something I need to talk 2 u about..thanks!

Yep got your mail. No wahala . . .
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by yuzedo: 10:46am On Dec 04, 2012
They are telling their fathers, "Pass The Mic!"... undecided

2 Likes

Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by iamswizz(m): 10:54am On Dec 04, 2012
Pls, who is femcees Or do u mean Femi?
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by Nobody: 10:55am On Dec 04, 2012
Naija female rappers, i no too gbadun dem.dunno why but i cant do without listening to MC LYTE and LADY OF RAGE.Those ladies are hot!
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by slimyem: 11:14am On Dec 04, 2012
Eva is holding it down her quite good too...i think!
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by safarigirl(f): 11:16am On Dec 04, 2012
Safari loading......pretty like daises/I'm smokin' aces/ been to places dudes don't dare to tread/femcees ain't dead/they hibernating..n!ggaz better be scared//....Safari

2 Likes

Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by safarigirl(f): 11:18am On Dec 04, 2012
It's not just the femcees, even the femcee-ngers are having it rough compared to their male counterparts, see Waje, Omawumi, Tiwa savage, Chidinma, though some may have relative success once in a while, it's nothing compared to that of the guys, how many times is Omawumi booked for intl concerts? Even Davido has more shows, and she's much better than him. Truth is, the Nigerian audience is unreceptive towards women in music, you nod your head to the song when it's played, you acknowledge how d0pe the femcee is, but you would never spend a dime to see her in concert cos you don't think she's as good a performer as Ice prince, or even Sina Rambo. Bottom line, women aren't taken seriously in music, no matter how hard they try. So it's not them, it's the mindset of Nigerians. I for one find Eva and Tesh Carter much d0p3r than Nicki Minaj...perhaps if they inflate their b0ooobs and ar53, they'll get a captive audience
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by dadicvila(m): 12:12pm On Dec 04, 2012
they are simply not consistent enough,probably got other stuffs they are into,they will do better when they start taking music as their primary career.....*singing*...this kain love na this kain love wey dey make me wonder,this kain love na this kain love wey dey last 4eva,i love you not anoda,this kain love O!Na Serious Love Nwatinti.....Godbless Omawumi joh
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by GentleNaaz(m): 12:27pm On Dec 04, 2012
Naija ladies prefer
1. Getn married n settle down
2. Dy dnt belv in wat a man cn do a wman cn do same
3. Dy devote dia time 2 relationshp mor dan talent @ d end dy wl say "he used n dumpd me"
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by Ayorh4you(m): 1:11pm On Dec 04, 2012
Jst passing by wt ma keg of palmwine
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by Nobody: 1:11pm On Dec 04, 2012
safarigirl: Safari loading......pretty like daises/I'm smokin' aces/ been to places dudes don't dare to tread/femcees ain't dead/they hibernating..n!ggaz better be scared//....Safari

@ safarigirl nice lines
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by dasparrow: 1:15pm On Dec 04, 2012
safarigirl: It's not just the femcees, even the femcee-ngers are having it rough compared to their male counterparts, see Waje, Omawumi, Tiwa savage, Chidinma, though some may have relative success once in a while, it's nothing compared to that of the guys, how many times is Omawumi booked for intl concerts? Even Davido has more shows, and she's much better than him. Truth is, the Nigerian audience is unreceptive towards women in music, you nod your head to the song when it's played, you acknowledge how d0pe the femcee is, but you would never spend a dime to see her in concert cos you don't think she's as good a performer as Ice prince, or even Sina Rambo. Bottom line, women aren't taken seriously in music, no matter how hard they try. So it's not them, it's the mindset of Nigerians. I for one find Eva and Tesh Carter much d0p3r than Nicki Minaj...perhaps if they inflate their b0ooobs and ar53, they'll get a captive audience

@Bolded

Women are generally not taken seriously in anything as far as Nigeria is concerned because Nigeria for the most part is a chauvinist and misogynist society/country. Even in politics, it is only now that an increasing number of Nigerian women are being assigned political posts thanks to the Jonathan Goodluck administration. If a Nigerian woman really wants to be appreciated in anything including her career, she might need to move to another country because Nigeria is not quite a conducive society for females same way the western world is not much of a conducive place for black people and black males in particular.
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by dasparrow: 1:18pm On Dec 04, 2012
Gentle Naaz: Naija ladies prefer
1. Getn married n settle down
2. Dy dnt belv in wat a man cn do a wman cn do same
3. Dy devote dia time 2 relationshp mor dan talent @ d end dy wl say "he used n dumpd me"

LOL, ain't that the truth! Nigerian ladies should see what their western counterparts are doing and how they are flying high like a kite in the sky in their respective careers. But, many Nigerian ladies choose to put their lives on hold waiting for Mr right when most Nigerian men in Nigeria treat them like crap anyways in long term marital relationships.
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by Nobody: 1:28pm On Dec 04, 2012
safarigirl: It's not just the femcees, even the femcee-ngers are having it rough compared to their male counterparts, see Waje, Omawumi, Tiwa savage, Chidinma, though some may have relative success once in a while, it's nothing compared to that of the guys, how many times is Omawumi booked for intl concerts? Even Davido has more shows, and she's much better than him. Truth is, the Nigerian audience is unreceptive towards women in music, you nod your head to the song when it's played, you acknowledge how d0pe the femcee is, but you would never spend a dime to see her in concert cos you don't think she's as good a performer as Ice prince, or even Sina Rambo. Bottom line, women aren't taken seriously in music, no matter how hard they try. So it's not them, it's the mindset of Nigerians. I for one find Eva and Tesh Carter much d0p3r than Nicki Minaj...perhaps if they inflate their b0ooobs and ar53, they'll get a captive audience

That's not true. If you put in work, fans will accept you regardless of your gender. Please correct me if I'm wrong but out of all the femcees, only Sasha P and Weird Mc have released LPs. When they did, they got their fair share of hype. You expect the fans to support zilch?

Instead of putting in work like the male ones who constantly release mixtapes and albums, you'll find that femcees billed to be the next best thing don't have their heads screwed right. We all saw that with Muna and Mode9. Muna who's yet to drop a single mixtape acting like a multi-platinum cd selling diva...

The males may have it better for now but I don't think its because the fans aren't supportive of females in the industry.
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by stupor(m): 2:13pm On Dec 04, 2012
It's still the men's hiphop world in Nigeria.
L
Like you have an all man's cult in higher college we also tend to believe women cult group exists,you just only have to hear about clashes gone wild only with the men,making it really beleivable and true that we never had any fierceful woman'college cults.

I really believe hiphop is real and not fictitous like all other Genre except Pop,hence,no Femcee really wants to keep it real anymore mostly because of family relationships and social matters.

Labels are so always ready to give in to a 8shaped lady's swag other than her originality and skills.

Labels and some media houses are also still being managed by college Wack heads with little or no knowledge about hiphop and also quick to shove off any real Femcee.

If you want real hiphop and all d.ope Femcees and Mcees,come play and hang around Festac Town,Mile 2 and Satellite Town.

You will find Femcees and D.ope Mcees with professional College degrees but also got professional mad skills on the Mic in these Neighbourhoods !

Sometimes when i hangaround with them,its always a worthwhile experience !

Naija's HipHop stage still needs a complete overhaul.

We need a whole different breed of Mcees and femcees.much respect to Mode Nine he is still the rrealest,others are only dummy clowns,they'll do better being comedians.

Sasha P is trying but I think she is not as real as the type of Femcee we are talking about here.I'll rather go with Blaze,no other Femcee does it better .

We only have Musicians most of them are not MCees,they will do better singing or clowning !
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by mikuz(m): 2:50pm On Dec 04, 2012
If there's a female MC here in PH I doubt.
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by Cbourne(f): 2:53pm On Dec 04, 2012
iamswizz: Pls, who is femcees Or do u mean Femi?
ok,i give it to you...clueless much
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by Cbourne(f): 2:57pm On Dec 04, 2012
stupor: It's still the men's hiphop world in Nigeria.
L
Like you have an all man's cult in higher college we also tend to believe women cult group exists,you just only have to hear about clashes gone wild only with the men,making it really beleivable and true that we never had any fierceful woman'college cults.

I really believe hiphop is real and not fictitous like all other Genre except Pop,hence,no Femcee really wants to keep it real anymore mostly because of family relationships and social matters.

Labels are so always ready to give in to a 8shaped lady's swag other than her originality and skills.

Labels and some media houses are also still being managed by college Wack heads with little or no knowledge about hiphop and also quick to shove off any real Femcee.
what about Eva?

If you want real hiphop and all d.ope Femcees and Mcees,come play and hang around Festac Town,Mile 2 and Satellite Town.

You will find Femcees and D.ope Mcees with professional College degrees but also got professional mad skills on the Mic in these Neighbourhoods !

Sometimes when i hangaround with them,its always a worthwhile experience !

Naija's HipHop stage still needs a complete overhaul.

We need a whole different breed of Mcees and femcees.much respect to Mode Nine he is still the rrealest,others are only dummy clowns,they'll do better being comedians.

Sasha P is trying but I think she is not as real as the type of Femcee we are talking about here.I'll rather go with Blaze,no other Femcee does it better .

We only have Musicians most of them are not MCees,they will do better singing or clowning !
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by ortopazz(m): 3:43pm On Dec 04, 2012
judging by the current crop of fem-ciz or wateva u tag em' i believ if u come thru with great artistic depth and lyrical creativity ur music and ur work will be respected for a long time, take for example if Nicki will summon up courage to take on my best female emcee of ol'tyms EVE, it will EVE Coming out tops no doubt, i mean i listen to Nicki and am lyk....wat d f..is rng wiv hiphop, nicki is gettin her share, first thanks to her brand and must gv it to her, she goes bk and redefines herself.

But shifting to the naija zone, when u look at the female rappers that av come thru ova tha yrz, I gv respect to Sasha buh after a while itwas noise cos she was movin, blaise as I will agree up there, is my dopest naija female rappa, buh came and went by,i dunno wat the prolem buh my guess is the brandin of female hip hop in naija is way frm the people, u nid to wrk, lyk force ur music up on tha people, M.i, Ice.p came thru lots of features, M.i'z mixtape, saucekidoz too etc, they nid to wrk hard and recreate themsdlves else they wnt get past their studios.

Wonderin wat happened to Kel, she first caused sashaz rap wreck buh disappeared, consistency matters, hope choc boiz delivaz Pryse, believe she's got potentials.

Before I bow, tell Muna to bring music else do nuffin than 'pass the mic' how do u hope to get to tha top when ur messing wiv ur main target, the hip hop fans, if the femceeees must come thru big time, they must get the hiphop fans addicted to them, cos they are they ones that will make tiem stay relevant in the game. Ask NAS!

Btw where's Blaise, bouqui shud go real hard and leave gospel, gurl is good 2.
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by camaro(m): 3:58pm On Dec 04, 2012
:PTonto dikeh is still there,

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by safarigirl(f): 4:45pm On Dec 04, 2012
All those asking femcees to keep it real, they're doing their best going by the continent they are. Only Naija can boast of having more than 3 d0pe femcees, Africa is just not a woman's continent, no support, people tryna pull you down, you release a track and still, the snide, chauvinistic comments rain on ya, they like, 'whatever, it's cos she's a gurl...blah blah' then your fellow women asking why you're tryna be a dude, let's not forget parents. I recently went to record a track and my dad is like ' I don't want her rapping, it shouldn't repeat itself'. It's not as easy as being in jand where women's rights are fully exercised, except you want to risk ostracization, you can't be 100%, even the guys saying gurls aren't putting their all, if your babe raps, she'll hang out with guys mostly, will you sit by and watch her playing with dudes without feeling a bit paranoid? Femcees are only good as buddies, truth is, they're realistic, this society is anti-females, like it or not, btw, Pryse isn't half as good as Tesh Carter, Tesh is ill!
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by Candybob(m): 4:56pm On Dec 04, 2012
They say every dawg has its day, but here you must claim everyday! The nigerian music industry is one where once you make your mark, you need to keep burning else in 3months it will be but a memory. The issue is not about gender, even among the guys apart from MI, who is cutting it? Someone mentioned Mode9, when last did your hear his voice?
Off course some chics are superb, but once they make the break they relax and that is costly in Nigeria, because we would forget you once we get another distraction no matter how crass.
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by peteafrik88(m): 5:10pm On Dec 04, 2012
Some femcees are not doing badt @ all. I am a fan of some of em; Eva, MsChief, Zee, Tesh carter and Thellma... With proper orientation of some that are still on the low, we could have a turning table with the male folks
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by ortopazz(m): 5:52pm On Dec 04, 2012
@safari, h8 to cut u there buh when u say chauvinistic comments, definitely ur driving to the fact that We are more Antii--feminists which I think just like u and ol the oda gurls out there, u just get it wrng, therez no way the guys wil push the female stuf ova theirs, no way,!! N I mean that, women dnt appreciiate dia art,, tk for example, forget the fact that soccer is all pushy, sweaty..,., buh im my town, wheneva there's an underage grade events in which falconets, flamingoes, rep 4 naija, the male folks troop out in numbers and gv mad support, coz they please them, am tellin u,... Out of 4oohundred(nt exageratin) especially where I watch, u wnt find a single gurl or if i must be modest just a single gurl, proaly coz her guy wn8 to watch and she's xpectin 4rm him at the end of tha match, ....buh u wil chat up socckar being a male craft..thats b.s..to the bone, if u do something gr8 people wil suport!

Now to Africa n musque wch is the bone of contention, if the male folk is that of a big deal..,then arts like keko wont see the roof, she broke up radio n weasel on their track, nw she's gettin her respect, wrking hard n nt pushin for the unecesary troubles naija gurls put emselves thru, if it was blaise wnt be respected, she did her thing, heard k-miz3 was a radiopresenter, buh whr....is she 2dy? She too was gud,buh whr......is she? U nid to work, why are the ladies nt supportin their own,.? If the guys dnt do it, wassup wiv u gurls, .....and as a matter of fact lets see ow many gurls get interested in this thread whch cncerns ladies and then u b tha judge!
We simply love good things, ..... This is nt a date, where the guy gets to do all the talk and work,...let gurls also work and get appreciated and stop their normal, 'afterall its a Man's world'
If u lyk open ur legs and show us the laps, if musque is nt interesting,.....sowi, G! Guys wnt rep it.

Meanwhile get entertained as MaDRID AIM TO DETRIBALIZE AJAX! cnt wait(nods his head!..and then shakes it, wondering why Mourigoat wnt play wonda boy, Kaka)
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by ortopazz(m): 6:06pm On Dec 04, 2012
u can stil go Viral safari and drnp, we'l stick by u! Just giv a good rap! Youtube is helping this days o! Ask carly Jepsen, j.bieber, evn that chinese bum gangam wateva!
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by Nobody: 8:57pm On Dec 04, 2012
Well what made me write this article in the first place was the obvious fact that female emcees in naija havnt put in enuff work..there's a serious scarcity of femcee albums in naija..I wish there were more
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by Nobody: 9:39am On Dec 05, 2012
Besides weird mc,sasha,kel and bouqui which other female rapper don release album abeg?
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by safarigirl(f): 11:24am On Dec 05, 2012
amechi213: Besides weird mc,sasha,kel and bouqui which other female rapper don release album abeg?
none, I had hope for Muna, but seems like she just wants to feature, cos she doesn't even have a single. Zee did it for me when I first heard her, then Tesh, but since Tesh just released a single, I'm hoping for an album soon or a mixtape. @orto, me wey shy like die na im wan try youtube? Abeg o, I'm good with writing.
Re: Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli by Nobody: 11:44am On Dec 05, 2012
@safarigirl ur head dey there

(1) (2) (Reply)

[mix] DJ Real – 2015 Welcome Party Mixtape / Download Video: Migos Ft Drake – Walk It Talk It / Where Can I Learn To Dance The Salsa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.