Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,001 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:34 PM

Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! - Autos (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! (37961 Views)

Check The Vin Report On All Suv And Cars Here 4 FREE!!!!! / Challenges Of Buying A Used Vehicle / Check The VIN OF Your Car Or Vehicle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by Delta007(m): 8:33pm On Feb 17, 2008
Guys,
This is a good thread, however, i'd like to point out that a vehicle being termed "Salvage" or "Rebuilt" doesnt mean it's a bad vehicle. The term "salvage" is brandished on the vehicle because it was "written off" by an insurance company in the event of an accident, flood, stolen and recovered, etc; perhaps the insurance company feels it'd be better to pay off the owner of the vehicle than to repair it or the mechanics in collusion with the owner, jacked up the repair costs of the vehicle so that they get paid out, when in actual fact, the vehicle had minimum damage. I have also seen severely wrecked vehicles with clean titles because they werent reported. There are a number of stolen and recovered vehicles that are sold as salvages as well. . .absolutely nothing wrong with them other than they were initially stolen and the insurance company has paid off the owner.

I have driven rebuilt vehicles in the past and unless u were told it was rebuilt, u'd never know. The market for rebuilt vehicles in large in the N.America (i must say). They are selling like hot cake. . .and yes, they can be registered again if the rebuilders do their job and the vehicle passes a mechanical fitness test. So rebuilt vehicles in Naija isnt a biggie, as far as i am concerned. The main "koko" is to work with the person who's selling it to u. Basically, u know what/where the bash occured and what is being or what was repaired. A vehicle that was bashed from the front, I'd stay away from (especially if some parts of the engine was affected). A vehicle bashed from the back or side is no biggie. In America, all u need is call the manufacturer and the collision center of body rebuilders can easily fix it. If the frame of the vehicle has been compromised, then there's cause for alarm also. Infact, there are some states that would term vehicles as "junks" and others as "salvage". The junks are sold for parts only while the salvages are sold for rebuilds or parts (up to the buyer). I've been in the car business (as a side hobby) for a few years now and if u ask me, will i buy a rebuilt vehicle? My answer would be absolutely "YES", if i can assess and understand the damage and repairs that was done in the past (pictures would be good). Why would I buy a 2008 Range Rover for over $120K, when I can get the same rebuilt vehicle for half the price?

Anyway, my point is, not all salvage vehicles are junks. Only u (the buyer) can make the call when buying a Rebuilt Vehicle. My 1-naira!

@the poster, u're doing well. Carfax is a paid service and u are obviously using your time. Keep it up!
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by frontview(m): 9:06pm On Feb 17, 2008
Thanks Delta007 for en lighting guys how salvage and rebuilt vehicles works in U.S. I owned Salvage and rebuilt title cars. It is a good way to have latest cars without paying latest price.
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by ghm: 9:18pm On Feb 17, 2008
Hi Brauneyes,

Thanks for this selfless service. Could you please help to check this VIN KNDJE723177343018
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by temi7154: 9:30pm On Feb 17, 2008
Please where do i locate the VIN in the car?
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by odapo(m): 10:26pm On Feb 17, 2008
@ BRAUNEYES
Top of the day to you, I will appreciate if u could help check the records of this car with VIN number 3VWBB61CXWM003019

Many thanks
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by dnative(m): 11:02pm On Feb 17, 2008
@Delta007

Well said. However I think the issue down here in Nigeria is when car dealers go over to the US, buy accident damaged salvage cars and repair, ship it back home and try to pass this off as new or one that has never been accident damaged before. I think if the car dealers gives a honest picture of the car history that would be fine, but a situation where in the quest to make ridiculous profits, they engage in trying to pass of an accident damaged car as new is nothing but fraud.

I enjoin anyone in naija buying tokunbo to shine their eyes and carry out this check. Could save you some $$$ on the long run.
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by omotoda(m): 11:22pm On Feb 17, 2008
plscould u helpwith this VIN WBACA01060AC27583?
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by Delta007(m): 11:56pm On Feb 17, 2008
dnative:

@Delta007

Well said. However I think the issue down here in Nigeria is when car dealers go over to the US, buy accident damaged salvage cars and repair, ship it back home and try to pass this off as new or one that has never been accident damaged before. I think if the car dealers gives a honest picture of the car history that would be fine, but a situation where in the quest to make ridiculous profits, they engage in trying to pass of an accident damaged car as new is nothing but fraud.

I enjoin anyone in naija buying tokunbo to shine their eyes and carry out this check. Could save you some $$$ on the long run.
There's nothing new there. Even in the US, people do it. The 2nd hand market all over the world is "buyers beware". I know a few folks who ship in rebuilt vehicles and their customers are well aware about the condition before it is bought and after it is repaired. They pass all the safety and mechanical tests before they are shipped in and the fact that the vehicle is rebuilt is reflected in their prices. I can vouch for 99% of all vehicles these dudes have sold and their customers keep bringing new customers. Infact, one of the guys don land another 3 40-ft containers few days ago. 

It goes both ways, I must say.
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by kblast: 1:18am On Feb 18, 2008
Pls help check this VIN 5FNRL18654B049344
Thanks
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by Oluedo: 1:32am On Feb 18, 2008
Please check this one for me. Thank you. WDBRF64JX1F092145

Thank you again
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by Ivvie: 1:38am On Feb 18, 2008
|
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by Delta007(m): 1:52am On Feb 18, 2008
Ivvie:

Selling a salvage car and a used car are two different matters.  If the business is run in honesty, there is no profit made to it.  Salvage cars are vehicles with a montetary drop value of 75% off its current resale value.  A car that has been salvage except for theft cannot be as it was prototyped.  Some states have low requirements to deem salvage but Texas sure isn't one of them. 

People try to reduce how much of a loss they'd encounter in the long run when they purchase a vehicle.  When you buy a salvage car, you pretty much cannot sell that car for it's intended value how much trade it in.  Body works are not precise as Integrated Manufacturing.  Nigerians are buying cars that have been wet, junked, salvaged and other conditions that isolate it from being road worth; patching it up and selling it at exhorbitant prices (as though used).  I don't know what part of the United States you are in but it sure isn't an investment.  Once that title says Rebuilt or Salvage, run from it.  I don't care the amount of experience you have.  Engineers go to school for 6 years and do all kinds of abstract discipline to be able to manufacture a vehicle and pass it as ideal (in some cases, perfect).  There is a lot more to a vehicle than just putting parts together and passing it off as good.  It's also common sense, no one wants to buy a car that wasn't properly maintained or driven hard how much more severely accidented.

I know one thing, once a police report has been filed and it has been in any kind of an accident, there is a huge depreciation to that vehicle.  If you can buy a non accidented vehicle at the same price of a salvage vehicle, why negate on your choice. 
Ha. . .everybody get him own opinion sha. A vehicle basically consists of it's frame and Engine (transmission, shaft, cylinders, etc). It's not rocket science. . .that's why even our road side mechanics wey no go school fit repair car. If an accident occurs and those basic components are not affected or severely compromised, there's really nothing to be scared about if a good rebuilding job is done. And yes, I'm an Engineer. Lastly, there's alot of profit in the rebuilding business that's why thee are millions of peeps in the business today in N.America. I'm registered on several salvage auction sites in N.America as a dealer (just a side hobby) and bidding is very very competitive; it's definitely not aliens i'm bidding against. But like i said, everyone get him idea . . perhaps u are right while the millions involved in the bizness are wrongfully making decent profits. My last naira.
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by Ivvie: 2:35am On Feb 18, 2008
|
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by adesilver(m): 3:16am On Feb 18, 2008
keep up the good work bor smiley could u pls help me check this WAUZZ28AZMA199431
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by naijaking1: 3:30am On Feb 18, 2008
Ivvie:

Some people don't have the ettiquette as you do. People are going as far as anything to make a quick buck. Let's be sincere, the vast majority of cars going to Nigeria - -?! Nigerians are having the impression that they are getting value for their money as far as used cars are concerned. Some fellow discerns such trait and comes to the States and picks up a vehicle to be crushed and recycled and sells it almost twice the price of an innocent vehicle. Personally, I don't think some Nigerians would mind if the truth was told and the bargained for its reasonable price range but playing them in their ignorance is what I think they don't want to be victims of.

Thank you Ivvie. The issue here is called DISCLOSURE, not choice between salvage, used, or rebuilt.

I hate it when Delta007 tries to down-play the importance of the poster's contribution, by trying to confuse the issue.

If naija people want to buy salvage, used, rebuilt or even new, they ought to have accurate information. If shippers of junk cars underatand that buyers have the capability to check the VIN like they do here in US, you would see that they will become more careful about which car they rush to naija to cause accidents and kill people on our bad roads.

@Delta007
If you're unto auto business as you said, why don't you help other naija people check their VIN like Brauneyes.
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by Ivvie: 4:06am On Feb 18, 2008
|
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by naijaking1: 4:30am On Feb 18, 2008
Disclosure would remove or decrease the mystery out of buying used cars in naija.

Trust me naija people may be illitrate, but they are not dumb.

They know when and how much to pay for a salvage, used, rebulit, or new vehicle.
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by flexjada: 4:57am On Feb 18, 2008
could you pls check this for me. thanks
1N4DL01DXXC118002
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by Teejay07(m): 5:17am On Feb 18, 2008
Hi Everyone,

I have been following the various contributions with interest. As for me, the issue here is TRUST. Well said Ivvie, no big deal in buying a salvaged vehicle - right. But, when you pass off such vehicles as 'clean ' and sell them at the same rate as such 'grade one' vehicles - then i have an issue with that. Making a quick buck off another's ignorance does not make business sense at all.

I was avictim once, and i still have the vehicle. I have since bought two other cars for since after that fiasco. I DID NOT RETURN TO THE DEALER THAT SOLD THE DAMAGED CAR TO ME. I mean, how does the guy account for the lost patronage and the fact that i can never take anyone to buy cars from him again.

So, fellas, the issue is that of trust. Only FULL DISCLOSURE can save the day. BE OPEN, TELL US THIS IS A SALVAGED VEHICLE, TELL US THE LIFE HISTORY, LET IT REFLECT IN THE PRICE - THEN LET THE BUYER DECIDE WHETHER TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY.

Life need not be this hard, simple its a matter of trust.

Thank you.
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by Jakumo(m): 7:44am On Feb 18, 2008
Hey Brown eyes, can you give the 411 on this pair of VIN numbers ?

'99 Jeep WJ  :  1J4 GW6 8NX XC7 983 33

'00 Toyota 4 Runner :   JT3 HN8 65Y 030 9519

My check is in the mail, and I trust you will accept Translvanian Drachmas as the currency.

Sho y'right.
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by odapo(m): 8:52am On Feb 18, 2008
@ BRAUNEYES
Top of the day to you, I will appreciate if u could help check the records of this car with VIN number 3VWBB61CXWM003019

Many thanks
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by muyioye(m): 9:53am On Feb 18, 2008
Is there anyone in the house who can unlock Acura Salon Car Radio.
Pls get in touch wt me on 08033538717, 7632113
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by spicy007(f): 12:31pm On Feb 18, 2008
PLS, LETS GET BACK TO THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD, BIKO.
ABEG, HELP WITH THIS VIN CHECK 2T1CF22P8YC276283.
THANX A LOT
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by solidus: 12:33pm On Feb 18, 2008
@Brauneyes

Hi

Can you please help me with this VIN? 4T1BE32K96U164645. Unfortunately, i already bought the car. It came to me at about 8k miles but was already having brake disk problems. Pls help me confirm if it was a good buy.
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by mendax: 12:41pm On Feb 18, 2008
@all please wats a VIN, i alrady understand why its so important frm the previous posting but i want 2 know wat it is and how i can check 4 it on my vehicle.
thanx
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by bakre(m): 3:19pm On Feb 18, 2008
HI.pls how can i post topic on the homepage of nairaland?Cheers
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by brauneyes: 3:51pm On Feb 18, 2008
Many thanks to all the contributors to this thread, firstly i would like to commend Ivvie as he was the person i emulated to begin this thread.
I guess his subscription at Carfax expired and while waiting for him to renew it, i stepped in to fill in the vacuum until he renewed his subscription.
As one contributor has pointed out, Carfax is a paid subscription. I DO NOT GAIN in anyway by providing this free service, i believe it is my 2 cents towards eradicating my homeland of junk, salvaged and accidented vehicles puported by shameless, unconcentious, quick money seekers as used without damage.
If people seek out info about the vehicles before the buy, i believe sellers of salvaged and junk vehicles would think again before importing these vehicles.
On another note, i have explained before what a VIN is and where it could be found on the vehicle.However, i would explain that again.
The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) can be found on dashboards, driver's side door jamb stickers, and title documents. Also check your car insurance card!

All cars and light trucks built after 1981 have a unique 17-character VIN that provides access to valuable information about that vehicle's history. The letters I, O and Q never appear in a VIN.

To all those who have written in here or by my email to express their gratitude for this service, i salute you all.
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by brauneyes: 4:00pm On Feb 18, 2008
2007 KIA SPORTAGE EX/LX AWD
KNDJE723177343018
4 DR. WAGON/SPORT UTILITY
2.7L V6 PFI DOHC 24V / 4 WHEEL DRIVE
This vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee
The last reported odometer reading was 10 Miles.
04/26/2007 7 Coleman Jeep Subaru
Trenton, NJ
609-883-2800
www.colemancars.com Vehicle serviced
Pre-delivery inspection completed

04/27/2007 Coleman Jeep Subaru
Trenton, NJ
609-883-2800
www.colemancars.com Vehicle offered for sale

01/16/2008 10 Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Farmington, MI
Title #298W0161042 Title issued or updated

02/18/2008 Kia Motors America, Inc. No open recalls reported
Clean car
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by brauneyes: 4:03pm On Feb 18, 2008
odapo:

@ BRAUNEYES

Many thanks
1998 VOLKSWAGEN NEW BEETLE
3VWBB61CXWM003019
HATCHBACK 2 DR
2.0L L4 SFI SOHC 8V / FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
The last reported odometer reading was 100,878
08/15/2006 Virginia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Front Royal, VA Title or registration issued
New owner reported

02/10/2007 Virginia
Police Report
Document #071060191 Accident reported
in Warren County
Involving a front impact
with a fixed object
It hit a bank or ledge
Moderate to Severe damage reported
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by Jakumo(m): 4:05pm On Feb 18, 2008
Brown Eyes [size=18pt]SAVE ME FROM JUNK.[/size]

My VINS are 10 posts up ^

Thanks in advance
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by brauneyes: 4:11pm On Feb 18, 2008
The VIN you supplied, "WBACA01060AC27583", is invalid. Please check the number for accuracy.

- The letters "I", "O", and "Q" never appear in a VIN.
- The VIN must be exactly 17 characters in length.
Re: Do Not Buy Any Used Vehicle Without Checking Out The Vin ! by brauneyes: 4:14pm On Feb 18, 2008
2004 HONDA ODYSSEY EX
5FNRL18654B049344
SPORTS VAN
3.5L V6 PFI SOHC / FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
The last reported odometer reading was 55,000 Miles.
CARFAX 1-Owner vehicle! 1-owner 2004 Honda Odyssey EX vehicles are worth an average of $1,936 more to consumers because 1-owner vehicles tend to be consistently driven and maintained. Use this as a guide when comparing vehicles.
Clean, no accidents reported

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

For Sale; 5 pcs of tipper trucks MERCEDES BENZ-1519, 1113, 1513 (like 911) / Search, Buy And Export Any Vehicle Of Your Choice With Auctionexport! / LINDA IKEJI & INSPIRED AUTOS ( 2011 Infiniti FX 35 PRE ORDER )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.