Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,326 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:52 AM

The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families (12201 Views)

Saudi Crane Crash: Deceased And Victims Families To Receive 60 Million Each / Muslim Families Look After Kolkata Synagogues In India / For The Muslim Families (young And Old) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by usbcable(m): 11:19pm On Dec 03, 2012
December poses the challenge of Christmas for many Muslim families, especially those with younger children.

The ubiquitous nature of the holiday makes it unavoidable, whether that is with visits to the mall to take photos with Santa, Christmas songs in stores, or homes decorated with beautiful lights. What can Muslim parents do to foster respect for the holiday of another faith, while helping kids appreciate the celebrations of their own tradition? Here are some ideas:

Communication is key, which is why calling a family meeting to discuss Christmas, however formally or informally, should take place before the holiday this month.

Point out the similarities between not just Christmas, but the celebrations of other faiths, and Eid. All focus on charity, gift-giving, families getting together, etc. This will give kids a larger perspective about the multi-faith nation and world we live in.

Allow your kids to express what they like about Christmas celebrations and see what would be appropriate for you to adopt during Eid. For instance, if you normally give just cash to your children at Eid and they say they wish they could get gifts like their non-Muslim friends, make sure to buy gifts next Eid.

Talk about how every group of people enjoy celebrations, be it religious, patriotic, or other.

Make sure you yourself don’t unconsciously harbor the idea that Eid is not as great as Christmas, which may be coming across to your kids.

Peace,
Sound Vision Team

14 Likes

Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by usbcable(m): 11:20pm On Dec 03, 2012
Growing up Muslim in a Christmas World
By Samana Siddiqui
I grew up saturated in Christmas every December. I loved the minty tang of candy canes, the Christmas specials of my favorite sitcoms, and the days off from school. But I was, and am, a Muslim. For my parents, that meant that while I could enjoy some of the cultural aspects of the holiday, setting up a tree in the living room with gifts beneath, along with lights, ornaments, alcohol-free eggnog, and a gingerbread house was a tad bit too much. Muslims have Eid, they explained, and that was fine with me, too. So I grew up expecting Eid to be exciting, while surrounded by Christmas festivity.

But it was far more complex than that. I was never “surrounded” by Eid as I am Christmas. And nothing brings this point home to me more than my own children’s reactions, 30 years later, to the beautiful Christmas lights dotting the homes of our suburb. I interpret their sighs of delight to some sort of feeling that Eid is lacking. Which is why I remind them how Eid is so awesome, nudging them to recall all of the things my husband and I have done to make their holiday memorable. Gifts? Check. Family get-together and fancy clothes? Always. A sense of shared holiday spirit with other Muslims. Of course.

But it still bothers me. I feel like ranting about how “when I was your age”, I prayed on the cold concrete of a hall where wrestling matches were held, not the carpeted, plush floor of a Holiday Inn banquet hall; I never got gifts, just cash that was handed over to my parents once we got home from Eid festivities; I didn’t party with a horde of cousins my age, but mostly family friends whose kids were older or younger. But amazingly, I still had fun and loved Eid, looking forward to my holiday, even though my non-Muslim friends were collecting gift upon gift, and Christmas artwork in class every December was an expected part of the school curriculum.

But as is the case of many parents of my generation, we seek the bigger, the better for our own children. And when it comes to our celebrations, Christmas is our reference point, the standard that we seek to make Eid in America live up to. We may not put up date palm trees in our living rooms, but we make sure our kids have the pricey gifts; we put up lights and decorations in our homes, maybe even our cars; we invest in “Eid Mubarak!” balloons, banners, streamers, and even bibs (as I made my one-year-old wear on Eid-ul-Fitr this year).

I was making Eid a competition with Christmas – which it’s not. And it was my kids who made me realize it.

“Abbu was saying the lights look so nice,” my nine-year-old told me, while we were recently driving past a home with Christmas finery on display. “They’re okay,” she said shrugging nonchalantly.

“Do you feel like you’re missing anything when it’s Christmas?” I asked hopefully. It was a tense moment.

“Nah,” she said, wrinkling her nose. “I have two Eids. Christmas only happens once a year.”

It was clear then, that I had been projecting my own sense of competition and inadequacy onto my kids, who were oh-so-much wiser than their mother. So while I’ll still be looking for nice gifts, I can probably ease up on making my Eid more “Christmas-y” next year.

2 Likes

Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by tpia1: 9:44am On Dec 04, 2012
i dont see what the challenge is.

the western world is multicultural and multifaith- i see cards on Eid all the time, never saw that even while in nigeria.

what's the op's take on halloween?
Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by Nasri100(m): 11:00am On Dec 04, 2012
Did somebody actually read all this?
Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by pendusky(m): 11:07am On Dec 04, 2012
And why is this making FP?
Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by Nobody: 11:16am On Dec 04, 2012
Nasri100: Did somebody actually read all this?
pendusky: And why is this making FP?

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute, get lost.

5 Likes

Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by Nobody: 11:16am On Dec 04, 2012
It's hard to not get your kids caught up in the Christmas festivities that take place during the end of the year period if you live in a place that is mostly populated by Christians. There are different Christmas parties that children's schools organize which kids would like to be part of, (there is also throwing of knockout and visit to fada krismas grin).

As a child I joined my friends in doing all the different Christmas 'things' that were in vogue then; collecting gifts from fada Christmas, visiting people on Christmas day etc. I basically used to celebrate with them because my parents were rather chill about the whole thing and I didn't want to be left out of what my friends were doing. I no longer do these things as an adult though. I know better and I would prefer to not join the Christians in celebrating Christmas (I mean no offense Christians-there are Christians that don't even celebrate Christmas for many valid reasons).

I think challenges exist only for kids and not for adults because I believe as a adult you should be able to decide whether your faith is the kind that would permit you to engage in these activities, you should have the sense to separate your religious activities/celebrations from those of others and to not see Christmas as a challenge, rather to acknowledge it as only one of the festivals some Christians celebrate.
smiley

6 Likes

Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by labamo07(m): 11:20am On Dec 04, 2012
What challenge is it posing? Am a muslim and I don't see anything wrong with it as far as I understand. Its a national holiday which calls for celebration......
Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by tbaba1234: 11:30am On Dec 04, 2012
May Allah reward the poster with goodness.

I think this post is hardly relevant to Nigeria, It is relevant mostly to muslims living in the west...

1 Like

Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by OmoOlomu(m): 11:42am On Dec 04, 2012
labamo07: What challenge is it posing? Am a muslim and I don't see anything wrong with it as far as I understand. Its a national holiday which calls for celebration......
its a national holiday, right. but d celebration is for some christian not even all of them, ALLAH say lakum dinukum wal ya deen, meaning let your religion be yours and mine 4 me. this came abt when the kuffar were trying to tell the prophet that muslims shld participate in thier religion and they do vise versa. therefore i ll enjoy muslim to be proud of thier deen and way life, than thinking abt a celebration that emmanates frm idols worshipers until europe now christianise it.

6 Likes

Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by Nobody: 11:43am On Dec 04, 2012
fellis:

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute, get lost.
They've got the right to express their opinions even if it differs from yours. Why do you have to be so violent all the time ?
Is it because they are 'infidels' ? I asked you this same question yeaterday and still awaiting a response from you.

1 Like

Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by maclatunji: 11:43am On Dec 04, 2012
tbaba1234: May Allah reward the poster with goodness.

I think this post is hardly relevant to Nigeria, It is relevant mostly to muslims living in the west...

Say what? You have got to be kidding me.
Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by maclatunji: 11:45am On Dec 04, 2012
Guitarlife: They've got the right to express their opinions even if it differs from yours. Why do you have to be so violent all the time ?
Is it because they are 'infidels' ? I asked you this same question yeaterday and still awaiting a response from you.

Address the topic. She is right!

1 Like

Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by http(m): 11:52am On Dec 04, 2012
tbaba1234: May Allah reward the poster with goodness.

subscribing.....

I don't see it more of a challenge for people in Nigeria but more to Muslim families in the west, so parent need to strike a balance and make Eid more pronounce so their kids will look forward for Eid celebrations.
Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by Nobody: 11:57am On Dec 04, 2012
maclatunji:

Address the topic. She is right!
Phewww. . . . So close that was, a ban just escaped I.

1 Like

Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by TheMatrix3: 12:18pm On Dec 04, 2012
The guy is fighting his internal battles in public grin
Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by Nobody: 12:27pm On Dec 04, 2012

1 Like

Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by deltaforce7(m): 12:30pm On Dec 04, 2012
Come some of you just come here dey blow grammar. Xmas na for everybody now , shekina

1 Like

Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by dadicvila(m): 12:31pm On Dec 04, 2012
christmas is like Oxygen,no matter your religious affiliation you must still feel christmas unlike the Eid celebration that many people dont even know when it takes place....you must feel it in the air,the bright lights every where,the shopping frenzy,the chicken and turkey sellers in frönt of your street....the only way you wunt feel it is if your are dead....i call and send my muslim frnds msages during their eid celebration but ironically they dont do the same when its christmas??why i dont know

3 Likes

Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by Eneze1(f): 12:36pm On Dec 04, 2012
Omo-Olomu:
its a national holiday, right. but d celebration is for some christian not even all of them, ALLAH say lakum dinukum wal ya deen, meaning let your religion be yours and mine 4 me. this came abt when the kuffar were trying to tell the prophet that muslims shld participate in thier religion and they do vise versa. therefore i ll enjoy muslim to be proud of thier deen and way life, than thinking abt a celebration that emmanates frm idols worshipers until europe now christianise it.

nobody ask for a comparison here, must u compare the 2 religion in order to drive home your point, @times the way some people reason are somehow
Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by BetaThings: 1:40pm On Dec 04, 2012
Eneze1:

nobody ask for a comparison here, must u compare the 2 religion in order to drive home your point, @times the way some people reason are somehow
This post is from the Islam section and the OP is talking about how to deal with the numerous activities during Christmas. comparison is hardly avoidable.
However, I find Christians defending their religion by attacking Islam more than muslims do when defending Islam. I can prove this
Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by donigspain(m): 1:41pm On Dec 04, 2012
dadicvila: christmas is like Oxygen,no matter your religious affiliation you must still feel christmas unlike the Eid celebration that many people dont even know when it takes place....you must feel it in the air,the bright lights every where,the shopping frenzy,the chicken and turkey sellers in frönt of your street....the only way you wunt feel it is if your are dead....i call and send my muslim frnds msages during their eid celebration but ironically they dont do the same when its christmas??why i dont know
Gbam!!!
Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by BetaThings: 1:42pm On Dec 04, 2012
deltaforce7: Come some of you just come here dey blow grammar. Xmas na for everybody now , shekina
Not true. Some Muslims don't even celebrate the birthday of Muhammed (PBUH)
Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by BetaThings: 1:43pm On Dec 04, 2012
The_Matrix: The guy is fighting his internal battles in public grin
At least sincerely, without pretending. And others can learn from it
Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by jeddyMay(f): 1:44pm On Dec 04, 2012
wetin concern agbero with overload nw
if u guys no dat u ve internal issue with your kids, why not tie dwn with rope or somtin. because ur kids decided to be who dey r, we christians should now limit d way we celebrate the BIRTH OF OUR SAVIOUR.........SMH FOR UNA

if you can't beat them, abeg you join dem nw................. tongue

TO ALL, COMPLIMENTS OF THE SEASON!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR IN ADVANCE................. cool wink
Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by BetaThings: 1:48pm On Dec 04, 2012
Guitarlife: They've got the right to express their opinions even if it differs from yours. Why do you have to be so violent all the time ?

No. But because contrary to their hypocritical posturings, they are just some intolerant bunch
There are at about 6 posts on the FP now about Christian events/issues. I am yet to see a muslim querying why they are there or even making any snide remarks on those threads.

BTW, your bible call Muslims infidels. You also call Islam darkness. Not interested in a debate. Just pointing out facts
Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by omocheche(f): 1:50pm On Dec 04, 2012
This people are something else, why are they quick to call people infidel? what makes u feel u re a clean person? nobody complain and compare ur Eid & christmas, so why dis post? u re always looking for issues. U people shld leave christains alone u kept fighting people who has no issues with u.

God created all of us and he gave us freedom and liberty, why are u peoPle trying to dictate for us what to do. Christmas is a period were every christian always look forward to, if u guys dont want to witness it u can always lock urselves inside but as for me and my fellow christians we are going to celebrate CHRIATMAS! PLEASE MUSLIM BROTHER'S AND SISTER'S LEAVE US ALONE OOOOOOOOO.
Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by BetaThings: 1:56pm On Dec 04, 2012
omocheche: This people are something else, why are they quick to call people infidel? what makes u feel u re a clean person? nobody complain and compare ur Eid & christmas, so why dis post? u re always looking for issues. U people shld leave christains alone u kept fighting people who has no issues with u.

God created all of us and he gave us freedom and liberty, why are u peoPle trying to dictate for us what to do. Christmas is a period were every christian always look forward to, if u guys dont want to witness it u can always lock urselves inside but as for me and my fellow christians we are going to celebrate CHRIATMAS! PLEASE MUSLIM BROTHER'S AND SISTER'S LEAVE US ALONE OOOOOOOOO.

Show me a thread where you are called infidel by muslims to justify your assertion that "they quick to call people infidel"
Actually it is more correct to request Christians to leave Muslims alone. If you doubt it, I CHALLENGE you to bring 3 threads where muslims abuse and use derogatory words on Christians, I will match it with 15 threads where Christians abuse Muslims. If you wish, we can continue the exchange with that ratio of 1:5
Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by tomsniel(m): 1:59pm On Dec 04, 2012
jeddyMay: wetin concern agbero with overload nw
if u guys no dat u ve internal issue with your kids, why not tie dwn with rope or somtin. because ur kids decided to be who dey r, we christians should now limit d way we celebrate the BIRTH OF OUR SAVIOUR.........SMH FOR UNA

if you can't beat them, abeg you join dem nw................. tongue

TO ALL, COMPLIMENTS OF THE SEASON!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR IN ADVANCE................. cool wink
wish U dsame
Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by Mathewjoseph: 2:03pm On Dec 04, 2012
Abeg xmas no get part 2 joor.it is because of xmas celebration dat got muslims vexed.nd dem begin trow bomb anyhw.c nw weather don change.ah xmas na baba.terrorist make una go hug transfomer.
Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by BetaThings: 2:15pm On Dec 04, 2012
usbcable: December poses the challenge of Christmas for many Muslim families, especially those with younger children.

The ubiquitous nature of the holiday makes it unavoidable, whether that is with visits to the mall to take photos with Santa, Christmas songs in stores, or homes decorated with beautiful lights. What can Muslim parents do to foster respect for the holiday of another faith, while helping kids appreciate the celebrations of their own tradition? Here are some ideas:

If your children go to Christian schools, they are likely to take part in Christmas carols and related activities. It is difficult o avoid those. But since school holidays follow very shortly, some people organise events that improve knowledge of the deen at this time. Some people organise vacation camp (some folks do these in Ibadan) and during Easter (for the 4 days from Fri - Mon) and at Christmas (usually for about 3 - 4 days) some brothers organise events (usually lectures) at Lagos State Secretariat mosque (where Nasfat hold their session). For this year, it will hold from Sat (22nd) to Tue (25th). Children attend these events too
Re: The Challenge Of Christmas For Many Muslim Families by PapaBrowne(m): 2:50pm On Dec 04, 2012
Last year, I had an interesting experience. I dressed up as Father Christmas and went to a an area near an army barracks to distribute gifts free for kids. Lots of kids were running towards me. Then I noticed a group of muslim kids who wanted to come and get their own gifts but couldnt because their parents were giving them a stern look.
I saw the despair on the face of the kids. I walked up to them and gave them gifts in the present of their parents. Interestingly, the parents were so happy and asked the other kids inside the house to come out and meet Father Christmas.
I learnt that day the essence of tolerance and the power of reaching out. From that day on, a seed of tolerance was sowed and those kids will be less likely to hate the other religion when they grow up.

Christmas is such a lovely event. Everybody should enjoy what it represents.
It is a season of sharing caring and reaching out!
Muslims should celebrate christmas same way they participate in valentine.
It would to broaden interfaith harmony.
During eid, I pay my maiguard bonuses. During ramadan, he gets adequate food supplies!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can A Pregnant Or A Nursing Mother Fast During Ramadan? / Islamic Guidance On Piercing For Adornment / Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.