Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,654 members, 7,827,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning (12270 Views)

Stop Reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning / An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by bilms(m): 12:37pm On Jun 28, 2014
STOP READING ARABIC
QUR'AN IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND ITS MEANING

The Almighty Allah has indeed commanded every
Muslim,male,female,old,young,rich or poor to always read the holy Qur'an
as a way to remind them of the right path. As expected during Ramadan,
more and more people adhere to Allah's calling and seek his favor
through variety of worships, one of which is the recitation of the holy
Qur'an.

Allah in the holy Qur'an directed Muslims to always recite the Qur'an,
but the reason for such directive as established in the sacred book is
for all Muslims to be educated in the ways of Allah and be guided to the
right path.

Ignorance in Islam is not an excuse, therefore, Allah desire that every
Muslim read the Qur'an to understand and be reminded of its message.

However, it has been observed that in today's world, most people who do
not even understand the meaning of a single ayah in the Qur'an read a
whole Qur'an especially during Ramadan. This is contrary to the wish of
Allah.

It is my understanding that, Allah do not just want us to be reading the
Qur'an from page one to the last page without understanding what we are
reading, he singular reason for directing us to read is so we could be
educated and understand the meaning of its messages.

Therefore, if you do not understand the meaning of what you are reading
in the Arabic Qur'an which is the original language of the Qur'an,
reading the Qurán over and over again add little or no value to your
deen. Don't waste your time reading what you do not understand, it is
not adding any value to your understanding of the deen of Allah,neither
is it influencing your daily conduct as a Muslim.

Kindly drop that Arabic Qur'an you are reading now until you understand
Arabic. Get a translated Quran, preferably one with tafseer.

Read it, comprehend it,reflect on it and apply its teachings in your
daily lives. I am sure that anytime you read a page in it, you must have
learn a new lesson. That is the desire of Allah. He doesn't want anyone
to be misguided by others, education is mandatory on every Muslim, male
and female Prophet Muhammed said.

If you do this, be rest assured that your reward is guaranteed with
Allah.

As we enter the holy month of Ramadan, may the almighty Allah help us to
acquire his mercies and encounter his forgiveness.

Abdulrazaq O Hamzat

5 Likes

Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by barackodam: 12:48pm On Jun 28, 2014
Maclatunji, deols, olawalebabs, ?

True?
Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by Guykhena(m): 12:55pm On Jun 28, 2014
@OP ,forgive my ignorance but why is the Qu'ran only in Arabic?
Why isn't it translated in different languages,for all muslims to understand better?

1 Like

Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by dejt4u(m): 12:58pm On Jun 28, 2014
Guykhena: @OP ,forgive my ignorance but why is the Qu'ran only in Arabic?
Why isn't it translated in different languages,for all muslims to understand better?
Quran is translated in almost al the spoken languages including Yoruba.. I have one here wit me wit both english nd yoruba translation

1 Like

Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by dejt4u(m): 1:00pm On Jun 28, 2014
@OP.. You hav a point but to me reading without understanding the meaning is still better than not reading at all..
Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by Guykhena(m): 1:01pm On Jun 28, 2014
dejt4u:
Quran is translated in almost al the spoken languages including Yoruba.. I have one here wit me wit both english nd yoruba translation
Then what's the OP furious about?
Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by Slitz(f): 1:59pm On Jun 28, 2014
Reading the Quran without understanding it is also beneficial to the believer. based on the hadith dat states that the messenger of Allah said for every letter read in d Quran der is a reward for it and he emphasised LETTER meaning alif is a letter lam is a letter and mim is a letter. despite the fact dat no one but Allah knows the wisdom behind these letters der is still reward for it. however for one to be able to ponder on the message of the Quran and get double reward i.e for recitation and implementation it is essential dat one learns Arabic or reads the translated form. so the OP should rather encourage learning Arabic, pondering on the translated copy and not downgrading the recitation of the Quran.

5 Likes

Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by tintingz(m): 2:09pm On Jun 28, 2014
Guykhena: @OP ,forgive my ignorance but why is the Qu'ran only in Arabic?
There are Quran in different languages/translations.

Read the OP post again, he's talking about Muslims who don't understand Arabic should try and get English translation Quran or any other translations to understand the message in the Holy Quran.
Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by tbaba1234: 2:13pm On Jun 28, 2014
This is nonsense. It is not one or the other.

I. The quran is only the quran in Arabic. Your translation is not the quran. It is an attempt at the meanings.

The quran literally means 'the recitation'. It is meant to be recited.

Ii. There is numerous benefits of recitation

Sayyidna Abdullah ibn Ma'sood, Radi-Allahu anhu narrates that Rasulullah said, 'That person who recites one letter from the Kitabullah, he will get one reward, and one is multiplied by ten.' He further went on to say, 'I do not say that Alif, Laam, Meem is one letter, but instead alif is one letter, laam is one letter and meem is one letter.' (Tirmidhi)

Sayyidna Abu Sa'eed Khudri, Radi-Allahu anhu narrates that Rasulullah said, 'That person who due to excessive recitation of the Qur'an is not able to make Allah Ta'ala's Dhikr and Du'a, Allah Ta'ala will bestow such a person with more blessings and Ni'mat than even those who make Dhikr and Du'a.' (Tirmidhi)

Even if a person understands Arabic, there are parts of the quran, he will never understand like the disjointed letters. Does that person skip reciting them too?? Or skip all places, they do not understand??

SubhanAllah. May Allah guide us.

3. The recitation of the Quran is a healing for the hearts.

4. You should recite your quran and learn the tafsir or translation. It is not one or the other.

May Allah guide the muslims.

9 Likes

Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by barackodam: 2:27pm On Jun 28, 2014
Tanks tbaba1234.

I thought as much
Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by tintingz(m): 2:28pm On Jun 28, 2014
Slitz: Reading the Quran without understanding it is also beneficial to the believer. based on the hadith dat states that the messenger of Allah said for every letter read in d Quran der is a reward for it and he emphasised LETTER meaning alif is a letter lam is a letter and mim is a letter. despite the fact dat no one but Allah knows the wisdom behind these letters der is still reward for it. however for one to be able to ponder on the message of the Quran and get double reward i.e for recitation and implementation it is essential dat one learns Arabic or reads the translated form. so the OP should rather encourage learning Arabic, pondering on the translated copy and not downgrading the recitation of the Quran.
Good.

The OP write up miss the point by trying to put the Arabic Quran(the Quran itself) out to one side not knowing that the original text of the Quran is very important, knowledge is the key which the Prophet(SAW) said we should seek, a Muslim should try and learn how to recite the Arabic Quran.

The important thing is to understand the message in the Quran, like Allah said we should know him before we worship him.
Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by bilms(m): 4:16pm On Jun 28, 2014
Tbaba, it is important that adab (wisdom) reflect in every word of a Muslim, but i fear that your word do not reflect that which is taught by Islam when you describe my post as 'nonsense'. This is most unfortunate from a Muslim brother. Having said that,i agree that the hadith you cited is indeed valid, but not superior to the Quran. Is it? No. Such hadith are words to encourage learning and reading, but Allah's directives to recite and the reason for such directive was clearly stated in the Quran. I shall spare time in coming days to present the quranic verses which taught us what to seek when reciting. Again, the main purpose for Allah's directive is so we could be educated and reminded, that is the primary reason. Every other reason is secondary. If you lost the primary reason due to misunderstanding, ignorance in Islam is not an excuse. Salam

1 Like

Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by Cordova: 5:02pm On Jun 28, 2014
Quran was revealed as a guide to all mankind. Wether you can speak Arabic or not. Mere reading the quran, you have a reward, your soul is nourished and you will be guided.

Those of you who are using this forum to misguide people about Islam. You have better caution yourself. Do not incur the cause of Allah on yourself. If u are a Muslim, check your intention. If you are not, it is better you preach your faith to your brethren. Do not confuse the faithfuls

4 Likes

Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by WHees(m): 5:45pm On Jun 28, 2014
[s] Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not
Understand It's Meaning [/s]

Strive to understand what you are reading from the Arabic Quran.

Then suggest ways by which that can be achieved, ways like attending Arabic classes, befriending Arab speakers in the social network, installing Nahawu related apps to your gadgets, watching Arabic films, processing your thoughts in Arabic etc etc,

I think discouraging people to read the Quran in its pure form is not a good idea.

3 Likes

Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by Guykhena(m): 5:57pm On Jun 28, 2014
tintingz: There are Quran in different languages/translations.

Read the OP post again, he's talking about Muslims who don't understand Arabic should try and get English translation Quran or any other translations to understand the message in the Holy Quran.
Oh,ok,,,
It was the way the op presented and generalized it that made me ask...
Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jun 28, 2014
Slitz: Reading the Quran without understanding it is also beneficial to the believer. based on the hadith dat states that the messenger of Allah said for every letter read in d Quran der is a reward for it and he emphasised LETTER meaning alif is a letter lam is a letter and mim is a letter. despite the fact dat no one but Allah knows the wisdom behind these letters der is still reward for it. however for one to be able to ponder on the message of the Quran and get double reward i.e for recitation and implementation it is essential dat one learns Arabic or reads the translated form. so the OP should rather encourage learning Arabic, pondering on the translated copy and not downgrading the recitation of the Quran.

reading without understanding is beneficial? I never knew some high grade bulllshit is being dropped in this section.

No wonder radicalizing and brain-washing "believers" into terrorism is so easy.

So it means you swallow whatever interpretation your imam gives to passages from the quran hook, line and sinker. By jove!

2 Likes

Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by AMINU4(m): 6:30pm On Jun 28, 2014
very correct.
Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by AlBaqir(m): 6:54pm On Jun 28, 2014
@OP, that's your personal opinion. While your intention may be innocent that people who do not understand the Arabic should read its meaning to understand, advising people to abandon the Arabic text of the Qur'an is like advising them to leave Qur'an itself.

Note that other revealed books lost their values the moment their original manuscript were abandoned for foreign language. The point is there is no way you can ever translate 100% accurately.

Besides, reading Qur'an to understand the meaning (which Allah enjoys muslims to do) is different from reading Qur'an to seek thawab (spiritual reward) (which Allah also enjoys; both in the same Qur'an).

Do you know Alhaji Asari dokubo was in dungeon of the sss for 10months +. Recitation of the memorized Arabic Qur'an made him alive and sane while many in the same situation died or gone insane.

It is not compulsory you study Arabic but it is advised.
The best advice would have been to urge people who do not understand the Arabic to always simultaneously read its meaning to understand and Not abandon the Arabic

4 Likes

Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by tbaba1234: 7:07pm On Jun 28, 2014
bilms: Tbaba, it is important that adab (wisdom) reflect in every word of a Muslim, but i fear that your word do not reflect that which is taught by Islam when you describe my post as 'nonsense'. This is most unfortunate from a Muslim brother. Having said that,i agree that the hadith you cited is indeed valid, but not superior to the Quran. Is it? No. Such hadith are words to encourage learning and reading, but Allah's directives to recite and the reason for such directive was clearly stated in the Quran. I shall spare time in coming days to present the quranic verses which taught us what to seek when reciting. Again, the main purpose for Allah's directive is so we could be educated and reminded, that is the primary reason. Every other reason is secondary. If you lost the primary reason due to misunderstanding, ignorance in Islam is not an excuse. Salam

Salam Bro,

Calling the post nonsense is not a lack of adab, it is what it is. It is not personal.

You are telling muslims to choose one or the other instead of encouraging both. You are essentially telling people to leave the quran however innocently.

1 Like

Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by usba: 7:21pm On Jun 28, 2014
tbaba1234:

Salam Bro,

Calling the post nonsense is not a lack of adab, it is what it is. It is not personal.

You are telling muslims to choose one or the other instead of encouraging both. You are essentially telling people to leave the quran however innocently.

abeg tell am oh! Reading the op this evening really disturbed my breaking of fast. The op should desist on misleading pple.

2 Likes

Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by Sissie(f): 7:29pm On Jun 28, 2014
It is not compulsory you study Arabic but it is advised.
The best advice would have been to urge people who do not understand the Arabic to always simultaneously read its meaning to understand and Not abandon the Arabic

I agree with this bolded by al baqir. While it's important to read and understand, memorization is also important.

1 Like

Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by true2god: 8:48pm On Jun 28, 2014
Are you serious at all? Reading the quran without understanding is beneficial, why? Any religion that does not make its text simple to understand to the man on the street must be hiding something.

Have you wondered why muslim apologist had been condemning the radicals saying 'they do not understand the quran properly' or 'they are not true muslims'?
Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by Slitz(f): 6:47am On Jun 29, 2014
kolawaxxy:

reading without understanding is beneficial? I never knew some high grade bulllshit is being dropped in this section.

No wonder radicalizing and brain-washing "believers" into terrorism is so easy.

So it means you swallow whatever interpretation your imam gives to passages from the quran hook, line and sinker. By jove!
it seems u read one sentence and closed your mind to the rest. kindly comment intelligently.
Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by Slitz(f): 6:55am On Jun 29, 2014
true2god: Are you serious at all? Reading the quran without understanding is beneficial, why? Any religion that does not make its text simple to understand to the man on the street must be hiding something.

Have you wondered why muslim apologist had been condemning the radicals saying 'they do not understand the quran properly' or 'they are not true muslims'?
A believer is urged to seek knowledge from the "cradle to the grave". being brain washed is not an excuse, u just have to find out. and dats exactly wat seperates a true believer from pple of other faiths. we have notable scholars who give tafsirs on the Quran we av numerous Arabic schools wer the language can be learnt . we have translations of the quran in diff languages. the point is merely reading the quran is healing for a sincere heart and seeking its meaning also. BOTH are beneficial!

1 Like

Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jun 29, 2014
Slitz: it seems u read one sentence and closed your mind to the rest. kindly comment intelligently.

I won't waste my time with you. Bye
Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by TheBigUrban2: 1:41pm On Jun 29, 2014
Wow, Arabic speaking Vs non Arabic speaking

https://www.nairaland.com/1791708/islam-failed-globally
Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by neeyhmutate(m): 9:43pm On Jun 29, 2014
Salam Op,

1. Allah says in suratul baqorah

Those who have been given the Book by Us, they recite it as it ought to be, they alone have faith unto it andthose who disbelieve it, they alone are the losers. [121]

What Allah SWT is tellin us is that those who recite the Quran in its pure form (Arabic) with tajwid, they are those who believe in it........"

2. It is very important to knw that the language of the Quran is Arabic but nothing else. Then it's another thing to strive to understand this language of the Quran and reading it in arabic.

3. The Quran has been translated into many languages of the world today. This is just an attempt to humanly encourage muslims (in its literary meaning), converts etc to understand the arabic content of the Quran whenever they are reading it.

4. You see some Saudi Imams reciting and crying while reading the Quran. Why do you think this happens? And yet you see some of our own local alfas laughing at things like this #sad! Not bcx arabic is their natural language but bcx they not only recite it, they also reflect on its meaning consequently their hearts trembles.

Allah said in the Quran suratul Anfal [8] :2

"Only they are believers whose hearts tremble when Allah is mentioned, and when His Signs are recited tothem, their faith get increased and upon their Lord, they put their trust."

This is what our local alfas/malam/nominal muslims laugh at. They laugh at ther words of Allah.#Ahuzubilahibizalik!

5. Conclusively, it's important to learn both. Learn the Quran both in arabic and endeavour to knw the meaning. If you are an average muslim and you dont know the meaning, then you can find any of the suitable translated ones for understanding.

Islam is beautiful. Nothing is sweeter than reciting the Quran in its melodious tone. Allah is always pleased with His servants who do this and reflects on His signs (ayah).

1 Like

Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by Ak4ril(m): 6:32am On Jun 30, 2014
As much as it's important that we implore ourselves to seek knowledge in order to understand the message and teachings of the Quran, it is pertinent that we know the essence of reading the Quran in its original form i.e. in Arabic.

We should note that there is a strong difference between tilawatul Quran and study of the Quran. Tilawatul Quran is necessary for every Muslim on a normal day, let alone in the cherished month of Ramadan where the noble prophet (SAW) has implored us to ensure we read the Quran and he emphasised the reward for tilawatul Quran during this month.
Allah (SWT) also says in Quran chapter 73 verse 4: that recite the Quran calmly and distinctly. This implies that the recitation is in Arabic language.

Having noted this, I'll advise the OP to receive this in good faith and desist from misleading people by chasing them from the Quran. Rather, he should task every Muslim to seek knowledge in understanding the message passed by the Quran by studying in their local language.

NOTE: Reading the Quran in Arabic earns more rewards than reciting in our local languages, but we are encouraged to seek further the message by studying the Quran

Wallahu Aa'lam

1 Like

Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by bilms(m): 12:41pm On Jun 30, 2014
misleading?
Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by tbaba1234: 1:48pm On Jun 30, 2014
bilms: misleading?

The post however well intentioned is misleading.

2 Likes

Re: Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning by Maisuya1: 8:02pm On Jun 30, 2014
OP as much as I agreed with some of what you said about understanding the meaning of the Quran but you lost me when you said the mere recitation adds no value without understanding d meaning. Here I beg to differ, and this is why;

Tbaba has provided you with the advice of the honoured prophet (PBUH) on the virtue of reciting d Quran and d rewards therefrom and there are lots more of those advice from the prophet.( would it be safe if I assume you didn't mean by your post that the prophet's advice is irrelevant here, did you? Because that will be spiritual suicide)

Now I will try to use the Quran to convince you that the tilaawah(recitation) is as important as the tadabbur(pondering) over the meanings

The word Quran is a masdar(verbal noun) which literarily means recitation.

Allah says ;“Do not move your tongue with it to make haste with it, Surely on Us (devolves) the collecting of it and the reciting of it.” “Therefore when We have recited it, follow its recitation. Again on Us (devolves) the explaining of it” (75:16-18)

Here Allah addresses the enthusiasm shown by d noble prophet during the revelation of the Quran. The point I want to make here is that Allah takes responsibility for both recitation(pronunciations, intonations etc) and explanation (meanings and understanding)of the Quran, if the recitation was unimportant the prophet wouldn't be taught the recitations and then the explanations. Another thing worth noting is that even though the Quran was sent to the prophet through the angel jibril (AS), Allah ascribes the collection, recitation and explanation to Himself (Azzawajall).

Other verses which stress the importance of Quran recitation include.

“He it is Who raised among the inhabitants of Mecca a Messenger from among themselves, who recites to them His communications [/b]and purifies them, and [b]teaches them the Book and the Wisdom, although they were before certainly in clear error,” (62:2)

Also here Allah tells us he sent the prophet to recite to us and then teach us the (meaning of) book.

From these few verses and there are lot more Allah emphasises the importance of both recitation and understanding the meaning of the Quran

(1) (2) (Reply)

Muslims: When Abraham Killed The Ram, Did He Eat It? / Stoning The Devil In Mecca! Is It True? / Why I Should Take A Second Wife!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.