Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? (7187 Views)

Loyalty In Relationships: Are Black Women Too Loyal To Black Men / Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? / Are Africans Proud Of Black Americans? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 4:26am On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:

Pig is Racist To Whites in the Same Context Monkey is Racist to Blacks.

You keep making the same mistake..despite the Myriad of examples i keep providing to destroy this argument

Ok, lets take the post history of 2 nairalanders

Myself

And

Ayanle

Look at the references used by Ayanle when he is using the word Monkey on Nairaland.

Then look at Either Myself or anyone else on Nairaland who uses the Word Monkey

Is it not clearly different?

Therefor, how can you tell an individual not to use this word, because the usage by "Another User" with "Another Agenda" is using it in a different form

You see the flaw in your argument, Which is why you tried to claim "pig" is not a racist word to describe white people. When it has been for years.

If "Pig" has nothing to do with Race, how on Earth do Monkeys?.....

Think about the contradiction you are posing.

read my comments before quoting me otherwise there is no point to keep discussing
as i said early when arguing with a white black/African don't use the word Monkey.this confirm his racial connotation. The Monkey insult/chants was/is use against black/africans this also confirm his racial affiliation.

as for pigs both race are called this way when they are fat and u know that.black or white if you are too fat/gross you will be called a pig. America is a very racial society m not surprise that you see pig as a racial epithets but last time i checked no one can't sue for hate crime/racism if you say pig .only for abusive language m i lying?
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 4:29am On Dec 05, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzmgyFQNvvU

What was that Again about Pig not being used as Racism Towards Whites?
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 4:31am On Dec 05, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: read my comments before quoting me otherwise there is no point to keep discussing

Point to a Comment In Which I wrote that you failed to comprehend so i can clarify sir.

Because clearly i must engage in simplifying for you to understand the incorrect parallels you continue to draw.
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 4:32am On Dec 05, 2012
My Sarcasm tends to be highly evasive, However i will clarify if need be.
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 4:37am On Dec 05, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: as for pigs both race are called this way when they are fat and u know that.black or white if you are too fat/gross you will be called a pig.

Both Races are Called Monkeys too when exercising extreme levels of egregious stupidity as Well....

Hence...

The Analogy....

Hence the reason why i asked....

Should Whites not Use the Term Pig to describe Obesity, since you are advocating eradication of the usage by Africans for the word Monkey to describe Stupidity.

Sir can you point out the comment in which you did not understand so i can explain it in more simplified terms.
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 4:43am On Dec 05, 2012
Pig is used for whites because of the stereotypical images of Pink Skin (Which Technically is not True)

Monkey is used for blacks because of the stereotypical images of Dark Fur (Which Technically makes this one also incorrect because Monkeys have light skin)

So the Terms

"White Pig"

And

"Black Monkey"

Are both equally Racist and Inappropriate.

However when color is extracted, And the former is used to describe Obesity and the following is used to describe Stupidity....

Then Political Stances on Anti Racism can not be exercised When Such Usage Takes Place for those particular occurrences

Do you Understand?.
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 5:09am On Dec 05, 2012
I guess once the Youtube Video was Posted of Pig being Used as Racism Towards Whites....

The analogy slowly sunk in and Ended the Debate. grin

Precisely my young grasshopper.

If Whites Can Still use Pig to reference Obesity, Then Blacks Can Still Use Monkey to reference Stupidity cheesy
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 5:26am On Dec 05, 2012
It was dinner time unfortunately i have an 8am class so i got to sleep. I will answer you tomorrow
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzmgyFQNvvU

What was that Again about Pig not being used as Racism Towards Whites?
i lectured you about the semantic and connotation. it is the emphasis on the color(in this case white) which make it sounds racist
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:

Both Races are Called Monkeys too when exercising extreme levels of egregious stupidity as Well....

Hence...

The Analogy....

Hence the reason why i asked....

Should Whites not Use the Term Pig to describe Obesity, since you are advocating eradication of the usage by Africans for the word Monkey to describe Stupidity.

Sir can you point out the comment in which you did not understand so i can explain it in more simplified terms.
here is where you failed . Not only both races are not called "Monkey" you are in a big denial. the word Monkey is strictly use towards/against Africans . That's why you never hear those racist fans shouting at a white player "MONKEY"
Even the biggest rivalry like Celtic vs Rangers(where both fans exchange harsh/derogatory words you will never hear the word "Monkey"wink
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:05pm On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:
Pig is used for whites because of the stereotypical images of Pink Skin (Which Technically is not True)

Monkey is used for blacks because of the stereotypical images of Dark Fur (Which Technically makes this one also incorrect because Monkeys have light skin)

So the Terms

"White Pig"

And

"Black Monkey"

Are both equally Racist and Inappropriate.

However when color is extracted, And the former is used to describe Obesity and the following is used to describe Stupidity....

Then Political Stances on Anti Racism can not be exercised When Such Usage Takes Place for those particular occurrences

Do you Understand?.

they never use the word "Black MONKEY" they only use Monkey this video confirm what i'm saying the word Monkey or the Image of a Monkey is used to call Black/Africans
[url][/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eMwYtycb_I

2) again only the emphasis on the color makes "white pig" sounds racist but you can't deny the fact that the word pig is use regardless the color of the skin and does not bear any racist connotation. cf(my previous posts aboutthe semantic)

this video will also show you that there is no such thing as "black monkey" but only Monkey which is used to display hat against Africans
[url][/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgC57LyITbM
this videos also shows you that they shoot Monkey not black monkey cause there is no white monkey ..we all know wht the word monkey stands for when using in a derogatory way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBjKtQzWWCQ
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Dec 05, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: here is where you failed . Not only both races are not called "Monkey" you are in a big denial. the word Monkey is strictly use towards/against Africans . That's why you never hear those racist fans shouting at a white player "MONKEY"
Even the biggest rivalry like Celtic vs Rangers(where both fans exchange harsh/derogatory words you will never hear the word "Monkey"wink

Again you continue to fail at understanding this..

Any Race of Person (Both Races) are called Monkey when referencing primitive signs of intelligence and sub-par reasoning and thinking.

You keep using sports as your argument, and for the Millionth Time i have explained this to you

When you hear monkey chants for Black Players at sports events, they are not referencing Low Intelligence, they are referencing "Physical Features"

For the 5th Time....

~Royal~:
Monkey when used to describe a person's appearance is Racist.

Monkey when used to describe a person's thinking is not Racist.

^^^^

For some reason The Explanations are Flying above your head...

You Can Not Intertwine the Political Stance of a Word with A Separate Variant of It's Derogatory Usage.

Any Human is called a Monkey Among Any Race when Displaying Primitive Signs of Human Behavior or Rationale.

Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:

Monkeys/Apes have always been used throughout history as a Source of Comedy from a behavior point of View.

Just look at the Lucrative Circus Industry.

Look at how Apes and Monkey's are depicted in Movies.

This has absolutely zero to do with it's Racial Parallels.

You are defining the word monkey...to mean Black African. [size=16pt]Solely[/size]

As if there are no other forms of Derogatory Usage.

Why are Athletes who can Run Fast with High Gallops Commonly referred to as "A Gazelle"

Why are Large Hairy Males commonly referred to as "Bears" in the Sexxxual industry?

If you are Opposed to Animal Usage to Describe individuals....then you must be Anti-Animal-Usage for ALL Humans, not just Black Africans.

Are you Saying Usage of Animal/Human Comparisons on the Large Scale be eradicated?..

Or...

Only the Word Monkey?...

Which One is It?.

The Highest Grossing Black Athlete in the World was Nicknamed Tiger FFS.

So Goats,Tigers,Lions,Bears,Pigs are Appropriate...Just not Monkeys?.

LoL....So it's ok to describe a 4 Legged Beast when referencing a Man's Speed, but thou shall not use "Monkey" to reference behavior Traits.

Oh really?.

do you understand the word DEROGATORY. you can't compare both
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:

Again you continue to fail at understanding this..

Any Race of Person (Both Races) are called Monkey when referencing primitive signs of intelligence and sub-par reasoning and thinking.

You keep using sports as your argument, and for the Millionth Time i have explained this to you

When you hear monkey chants for Black Players at sports events, they are not referencing Low Intelligence, they are referencing "Physical Features"

For the 5th Time....

^^^^

For some reason The Explanations are Flying above your head...

You Can Not Intertwine the Political Stance of a Word with A Separate Variant of It's Derogatory Usage.

Any Human is called a Monkey Among Any Race when Displaying Primitive Signs of Human Behavior or Rationale.

1) how and what are those signs?
2) i keep telling make an abstraction of the word monkey and let's replace by animal the word animal was used to show that African can't think cause back then there were no researches about animal pseudo-intelligence ,the insult animal was used to display the lack of critical thinking from Africans(of course according to white logic)
now we made the abstraction one can ask why the use of Monkey it simple the Monkey is the animal which is closer to human. hence the choice of this animal by white who think that Africans are a kind of human-animal. undecided
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Dec 05, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: do you understand the word DEROGATORY.

derogatory [dɪˈrɒgətərɪ -trɪ]
adj
tending or intended to detract, disparage, or belittle; intentionally offensive

de·rog·a·to·ry (d-rg-tôr, -tr)
adj.
1. Disparaging; belittling: a derogatory comment.
2. Tending to detract or diminish.

^---My question to you is. Do You Understand Derogatory?

If you do, are you aware that it carries various Forms.

Which is why you can't Draw Parallels from the Racial Derogatory Usage to It's Intellectual Derogatory Usage.

The Purpose of the Post was indeed just that, You can not use political stances against a derogatory word, when it's used in another form
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Dec 05, 2012
this is the list of Ethnic slurs again no PIG
but guess what they acknowledged that MONKEY REFERS TO BLACK undecided
[url][/url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:

derogatory [dɪˈrɒgətərɪ -trɪ]
adj
tending or intended to detract, disparage, or belittle; intentionally offensive

de·rog·a·to·ry (d-rg-tôr, -tr)
adj.
1. Disparaging; belittling: a derogatory comment.
2. Tending to detract or diminish.

^---My question to you is. Do You Understand Derogatory?

If you do, are you aware that it carries various Forms.

Which is why you can't Draw Parallels from the Racial Derogatory Usage to It's Intellectual Derogatory Usage.

The Purpose of the Post was indeed just that, You can not use political stances against a derogatory word, when it's used in another form
2) i keep telling make an abstraction of the word monkey and let's replace it by animal the word animal was used to show that African can't think cause back then there were no researches about animal pseudo-intelligence ,the insult animal was used to display the lack of critical thinking from Africans(of course according to white logic)
now we made the abstraction one can ask why the use of Monkey it simple the Monkey is the animal which is closer to human. hence the choice of this animal by white who think that Africans are a kind of human-animal
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:22pm On Dec 05, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE:
2) i keep telling make an abstraction of the word monkey and let's replace by animal the word animal was used to show that African can't think cause back then there were no researches about animal pseudo-intelligence ,the insult animal was used to display the lack of critical thinking from Africans(of course according to white logic)
now we made the abstraction one can ask why the use of Monkey it simple the Monkey is the animal which is closer to human. hence the choice of this animal by white who think that Africans are a kind of human-animal. undecided

Cameroon, Dumb People of All Races or anyone of Any Race Displaying Foolish Behavior are Called Monkeys.

The Derogatory Usage of the Word Monkey, is not Exclusive to "Africans"

Why do you insist on preaching this Fallacy?

Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Dec 05, 2012
You are Giving the "White Man" Far To much credit my young son.

Whites Invented Everything Evil Ehhh? LoL
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:

Cameroon, Dumb People of All Races or anyone of Any Race Displaying Foolish Behavior are Called Monkeys.

The Derogatory Usage of the Word Monkey, is not Exclusive to "Africans"

Why do you insist on preaching this Fallacy?

the derogatory usage is not exclusive of course you see Africans calling each other Africans.
BUT THE DEROGATORY FORM IS TO IDENTIFY AFRICANS/BLACKS YOU DON'T SEE AFRICANS/BLACKS CALLING WHITE MONKEY BUT YOU SEE AFRICANS CALLING AFRICANS MONKEY AND WHITE CALLING AFRICANS MONKEY AND EVEN HISPANO CALLING BLACK MONKEY GET IT?

[/quote]
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:
You are Giving the "White Man" Far To much credit my young son.

Whites Invented Everything Evil Ehhh? LoL
give to Cesar what belongs to Cesar undecided
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Dec 05, 2012
You are Giving Ownership Rights to Whites for the Invention of the Derogatory Term Monkey ....As if Africans have never insulted each other on their own continent by referencing another man Behaving or Thinking like a Primitive Animal...

How do you know this Sir?....

This is Historical Fallacy. A Creation of Nonsense Concocted by a Anti White Man Stance Which basically pays indirect homage to the white males so called creativity

You are giving whites credit for creating Stuff they did Not.

Oh so now Africans did not even have the Intellect and Creativity nor Innovation to Create their own "Diss Words"?

Really?...

Whites Had to come to Africa to teach the black man how to insult another black man?

Really?....

So in Other Words....Prior to Whites Racist Science(Which did not develop till recently in relative timeline terms)...Blacks had no concepts of using Animal References as a Form of Insult....

Oh Really?....lol

Did the white man also teach us to call women Biitches and Hoez in our Native African Tongue as Well Sir?...
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Dec 05, 2012
I don't have a problem with an Anti White Stance on your part...

My Problem is..

You are giving the "White Man" Credit for Inventions he never created.

Did the White Man also teach A Black Man how to Spit on a Human Being to show signs of disrespect?..

Come on now...

Sometimes Black Folks give whites TOO MUCH credit...

as If we are Incapable of conceiving our own evils......

I am pretty sure there were black africans referencing "Monkeys" and various other animals on the Continent Prior to Racist White Scientist....

The Same Racist White Scientist who were not created on this earth until thousands of years after The "African" Man had relationships with those very same Monkeys and Apes.

Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Dec 05, 2012
The "African" Male has been interacting with monkeys and apes for Centuries Upon Centuries...

You are telling my that it's Derogatory Usage was never used until People from another continent(One with a significantly lower pop of apes) came to Africa and started using racial science to dehumanize physical traits and human evolution of Black Africans as a Means to Devalue a African's Worth....

Think about how outlandish that Sounds.

Ironically Enough you also have the same incorrect stance on the word "Niqqer/Nigga"....a Word Which also Originated in Africa.

Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Dec 05, 2012
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:
You are Giving Ownership Rights to Whites for the Invention of the Derogatory Term Monkey ....As if Africans have never insulted each other on their own continent by referencing another man Behaving or Thinking like a Primitive Animal...

How do you know this Sir?....
yes i do . when i will never deny the fact that Africans insulted each other(our Languages got several nasty words) i know and am 100%certain that Africans never called themselves Monkey.

This is Historical Fallacy. A Creation of Nonsense Concocted by a Anti White Man Stance Which basically pays indirect homage to the white males so called creativity

You are giving whites credit for creating Stuff they did Not.
i'm NOT ANTI-WHITE TAKE YOUR JALLOWBAH NONSENSE AWAY FROM ME. angry

Oh so now Africans did not even have the Intellect and Creativity nor Innovation to Create their own "Diss Words"?

Really?...
we HAVE OUR DISSING WORDS.STOP FOOLING AROUND AFRICANS CAN'T BE RACIST AGAINST THEMSELVES. WHEN I'M INSULTING MY FRIEND IN MY LANGUAGE THERE IS NO RACIST CONNOTATION.

Whites Had to come to Africa to teach the black man how to insult another black man?

Really?....
stop fooling it's pathetic where did i say we are saint? the goal is to stop using a racist/derogatory word when dissing each other undecided

So in Other Words....Prior to Whites Racist Science(Which did not develop till recently in relative timeline terms)...Blacks had no concepts of using Animal References as a Form of Insult....

Oh Really?....lol
YES.AND MONKEY HAD NO ETHNOCENTRISM/DEROGATORY CONNOTATION

Did the white man also teach us to call women Biitches and Hoez in our Native African Tongue as Well Sir?...
STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH. grin grin
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Dec 05, 2012
the Bleep is wrong with this quotation angry
damn
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Dec 05, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH. grin grin

grin...i am Juss sayin Bro...lol

Sometimes, We as Blacks try to Speak about the Evil Deeds of the Treacherous "Satanic White Man".....

but the same time...

We "accidentally" give credit for his "Evils"(Greatness) By Indirectly Giving Him Historical Rights For Ownership he Never Created.

I refuse to believe that on a continent so historically rich in the abundance of apes and monkeys, that "Monkey" when used as a derogatory term for the "Mind"....

was Created By Whites....

Come on Now.

Just like whites did not "Invent" slavery.....Whites did not "Invent" derogatory animal usage when referencing a slow mind.

Let's slow down and stop giving this Man so Much Credit for Boolshit he did not Create.
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:46pm On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:
I don't have a problem with an Anti White Stance on your part...

My Problem is..

You are giving the "White Man" Credit for Inventions he never created.

Did the White Man also teach A Black Man how to Spit on a Human Being to show signs of disrespect?..

Come on now...

Sometimes Black Folks give whites TOO MUCH credit...

as If we are Incapable of conceiving our own evils......

I am pretty sure there were black africans referencing "Monkeys" and various other animals on the Continent Prior to Racist White Scientist....

The Same Racist White Scientist who were not created on this earth until thousands of years after The "African" Man had relationships with those very same Monkeys and Apes.

Dude you are talking to an African bred and raised in Africa. pretty sure has no value inan argumentation this is in your mind except if you prove me the contrary
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Dec 05, 2012
Long Story Short...

Africans have probably always used "Monkey" as a Derogatory Term When Referencing Silly Behavior..

It just never became "Racist" until another Race Used it.
wink
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:
Long Story Short...

Africans have probably always used "Monkey" as a Derogatory Term When Referencing Silly Behavior..

It just never became "Racist" until another Race Used it.
wink
so is MONKEY RACIST then? undecided
the answer is yes .
towards who? : answer is BLACKS?AFRICANS
WHY AFRICANS ARE STUPID TO CALL EACH OTHER MONKEY: GO FIGURE undecided
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:
The "African" Male has been interacting with monkeys and apes for Centuries Upon Centuries...

You are telling my that it's Derogatory Usage was never used until People from another continent(One with a significantly lower pop of apes) came to Africa and started using racial science to dehumanize physical traits and human evolution of Black Africans as a Means to Devalue a African's Worth....

Think about how outlandish that Sounds.

Ironically Enough you also have the same incorrect stance on the word "Niqqer/Nigga"....a Word Which also Originated in Africa.

of course.
or r you telling me that Africans thought they weren't humans themselves undecided na wa ooo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Myths About Nigerian Tribes / Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria / Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.