Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,056 members, 7,953,192 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:07 PM

The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina (35685 Views)

Important Sections Of A CV That Must Be Included / See The Viral CV That Captured The Attention Of A Big CEO In A Tech Company / Click To Download The CV Template That Has Won Over 1000 Job Interviews! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by dljbd1(m): 6:36am On Dec 07, 2012
Where are the HRs
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by ACM10: 7:30am On Dec 07, 2012
This is not applicable to medical CV which can run into several pages
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by Ekowise(m): 7:42am On Dec 07, 2012
Hmmmm! I learnt something.
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by skyfall: 7:49am On Dec 07, 2012
Good info.

To the people who think you don't need a good CV to get a job, I understand you. I'm not even willing to work with any company that only recruits through connections. They'll end up recruiting mostly mediocres like you who cannot get anything done without being spoon-fed by their colleagues every time. It also tells a lot about how things work in such companies.

As scarce as jobs are in Nigeria, some people still carefully choose where to work because they know their worth.

3 Likes

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by jpphilips(m): 8:47am On Dec 07, 2012
lekibraky: abeg go sit down if you write only your name for cv you get a job so long u have a right link na cv dem won chop or who u know

Do people still get jobs with CVs in Nigeria?? or is this an old article
the last time i checked, Nigerians get jobs with complimentary cards not CV's, *miss Adeyinka take note*

don't bother about the layout of the CV just ensure you have on the back of the complimentary card *the bearer is my ward, attend to him**

or a logo of the National assembly then the job is yours.

For someone i know to have Gotten a shell job without passing SITP exams, then, when SITP was the most rigorous recruitment exercise was when i knew how badly nepotism has ruined this country.

Miss adeyinka or whatever, please re publish that article again when PDP leaves power not now.

Tell me one Test or interview in this country where some candidates don't know the question before hand??
Is miss Adeyinka aware that some companies like mine has it as a policy that before you are allowed to submit any CV, it must be endorsed by a manager??

if you like rub Tb joshua's olive oil on it, if the HRO doesn't see an endorsement from a manager, nothing for you, she will just take it straight to a shredder and wait for the right people with the right contacts.

Na where school leaver wan know Manager na there the wahala start, but we know why we made it so.

@OP,

next time when you have a fairy tale article like this, please address it to NAOC, they will surely be grateful you did. absolute rubbish.

1 Like

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by jpphilips(m): 9:16am On Dec 07, 2012
yemmight:

One day, I hope we can change the mentality we have in Nigeria. An experienced person has come here to give a piece of advice that will really help and look at some comments. I am shocked. I am recruiter and sometimes you are so attracted to some CV's that you can't just let go of them. I have, severally returned CV's to applicants for not putting up attracting CV's. I can always ignore them since they are not useful. My advice really to them is to re-do their CV's or they may not get jobs. Please change this mentality.

my friend, experience my foot, some of us here employ labor as well and i tell you that most people don't freaking need to peruse any damn CV to give you a job.
there is no job in Nigeria that is rocket science all na package. forget the suit and beautiful office, we are no high tech country.

if you come to some office well dressed and with high IQ recommended by someone that guarantees business for the company, why will they ask you to p!mp a CV??

after p!mping your CV, you cant guarantee the company a single contract, you sit neck fat under their Air conditioner and collect salary monthly abi you try.

they have a well structured HRO and training structure that can turn a chimp to a genius they don't need your bloody CV, if you guarantee the interest of the organization, they will train and mold you to a useful tool. seriously?? CV??

whats that again??
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by jarkata(m): 9:20am On Dec 07, 2012
Cv plus connection both of dem work.it is only government sector dat take man know man serious.most private sector and multinationals still base 75% of their emplyment on merit level.Therefore there is no big deal having a good cv.my challenge is having my date of birth different from d one on WAEC certificate.i've been qustioned several times at d interview venue.pls someone should tell me d effect of this,i can't use d one on my WAEC certificate cos i don tee
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by Pulseng: 9:52am On Dec 07, 2012
This is a rather narrow way of looking at things. Even though you have 'leg' or know people, you need to make sure that other things are on check too. You forget that even if you know somebody, that person would still need to see something that represents you before he meets you for the first time. That's what your CV does for you. So don't disregard it too fast o!
hustla:

1000000%. True tok!
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by Pulseng: 9:59am On Dec 07, 2012
jp philips:

my friend, experience my foot, some of us here employ labor as well and i tell you that most people don't freaking need to peruse any damn CV to give you a job.
there is no job in Nigeria that is rocket science all na package. forget the suit and beautiful office, we are no high tech country.

if you come to some office well dressed and with high IQ recommended by someone that guarantees business for the company, why will they ask you to p!mp a CV??

after p!mping your CV, you cant guarantee the company a single contract, you sit neck fat under their Air conditioner and collect salary monthly abi you try.

they have a well structured HRO and training structure that can turn a chimp to a genius they don't need your bloody CV, if you guarantee the interest of the organization, they will train and mold you to a useful tool. seriously?? CV??

whats that again??

There you go again. How will this country work when some of you have this kind of mentality Whether you choose to believe it or not, people (recruiters and employers) do look at CV's no one is ever really employed if they have nothing to offer. You have to have something to offer. If you haven't gotten a job through your CV then you are not doing something right. Go back and take a critical look at your CV jare!
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by jpphilips(m): 10:03am On Dec 07, 2012
[quote author=pak]

You're right Tpapi, The OP was spot on aside from the quoted above.

When you submit your CV (especially when you did not do it in person )

There are three very important things employers want to find out immediately.

Who they are dealing with as in male or female (call it sexism if you will but its true)

Crap of ignorance, you don't need it if the person is highly recommended, the employment is guaranteed by someone else.

Your Date of Birth.

*correct*
You dont need an old man that will be sleeping in the office during working hours or one who tries to convince a client using idioms

And if in Nigeria , your ethnicity - yeah you heard me right. So your state of origin really matters. Whether it works against you or for you is another issue.

*wrong*

If i have a $250m client and he wants me to employ the Son of his friend, with guarantee that he can vouch for the guy, i will employ him today and ask him where he comes from the next week.

But you making it difficult for employers to find that information is a big minus. Business executives are very busy people and do not consider your CV a novella.

there is no big organization too big for the right contact in Nigeria, as big as you think MTN Nigeria is, a complimentary card from Ndukwe or pascal dozie will guarantee the following;

a) that an owerri son is promoted to a reasonable position (in the case of pascal)
b) that contracts worth millions of dollars can go to someone of their choice

now, your so called "busy executives" will become "less busy" as soon as the order comes from above, have you heard a GM say *my hands are tied* lol, that's what im talking about.

[s]A one night stand with Madueke will make you the GM of NNPC[/s], now, which company is bigger than NNPC in Nigeria??

I have had the misfortune to access a candidate with such a CV at some point and what I asked him was simple - If you know this is one information I'll have much interest in seeing, why hide it ?

well, your organization might be small or you may be highly placed for the onus of employment to be at the sole of your feet. but the truth is; you don't own it and even if you did,the sustainability is not only your making, therefore
after saying that to me as the candidate, i will roll out contacts that will go above your boss, or come from an angle where the company has interest, walahi!! you must burge.

look at this example;

assuming you are an HRO manager for an oil servicing company (highly placed, calls the shots on employment), and you get a multimillion dollar contract with a producing company. because of the magnitude of the contract, there is need to recruit new trainees, and you open your website for recruitment.

now, as a sharp Nigerian, i can never be stup!d to apply to that vacancy so that my faith or destiny shall never be in the hands of an ordinary HRO manager like you (no offense, just a joke),

i will simply go and find out why you are recruiting, through friends (as a social guy) or even your staff, mind you that producing companies publish big contracts on their web site. as soon as i get to know your contract and which company awarded it,

while other s!lly applicants are busy jamming your site with P!mped CV's I will use contacts to find out which department in that producing company that either will supervise the contract or will approve your payment.

as soon as i get that i will profile the workers there, and use everything in my arsenal to make contact with those people.

once i succeed in getting a recommendation from that contact, guy, like magic, you as the HRO, will resume duty to get a hard core directive on your fountain that i am the guy for the job.

at that level, you will not cough.

your company will be glad to give me the job knowing that their contract depends on it, via my contact.

guy, good jobs are for the strong and social not for some dull minds that p!mp cvs.

when i was a job seeker, i had a hard time getting recommendations but the jobs are just always there, ironically, places ive been to and the gate don't open, when i make the contact, i always see my name on the security waiting list, guess what, im always late for the appointment lol

How did you think Anyim became SG amongst his eastern lot? by pimping cvs? oh! please.

1 Like

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by deltaforce7(m): 10:15am On Dec 07, 2012
In my Company, I don't really employ people based on the presentation or the volume of their CVs rather by grading their intelligent quotient. Half of the Jobs in Nigeria can be done by anybody with high IQ after brief training or even on the Job training.

Don't mind the voluminous thesis people call CV and University abused Script called Certificate.

Natural(talent) and Home acquired Intelligence is still an assets when combine with definite specialized training and education not forgetting industrial/workplace experience.

Always talk with your "would be" employee without minding the "papers" to ascertain his/her Intelligent Quotient before issuing an appointment letter.

The underlined ones above indicate that your INTELLIGENCE QUOTIENT is abysmally low. You really should not be in a position to decide on recruitment matters!
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by jpphilips(m): 10:18am On Dec 07, 2012
Greatken007: I think Most of the pple who are opposing this write up are not even graduate bt if they are that means their own don bad b dat.If u know CV does nt count pls go and start doing recharge card business it wil also favour you.My best frnd who is in NLNG undergoing training in london nw does nt know anybody(now is pay is nt less than 400k) and few of my frnds in NNPC.If u are agree wit ur leaders then stop voting for them and stop receiving peanut 4rm them.

you are too myopic to believe that crap you wrote, i have lived in DBN complex for 3yrs. if your friend got that job on merit as you said then 100 more people have got it with contacts before him on merit, hope you know the difference.

one thing is that religion doesn't let Nigerians to be honest, if most people tell you the real truth how they Got a job, you may not shake their hands in a life time. all na wash, they will tell you *na god*, which god??
even people wey use toto power still say na god, haba! god don suffer for Nigerians hand.

do you really expect a girl to tell you she dated a white man for 2yrs before she was recommended for a job?? i don't think so
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by jpphilips(m): 10:31am On Dec 07, 2012
Pulseng:

There you go again. How will this country work when some of you have this kind of mentality Whether you choose to believe it or not, people (recruiters and employers) do look at CV's no one is ever really employed if they have nothing to offer. You have to have something to offer. If you haven't gotten a job through your CV then you are not doing something right. Go back and take a critical look at your CV jare!

listen young man, what he has to offer is contact and it is enough for any serious organization.
instead of reading how to write a CV, i will rather go trim the rough edges of my socialization, it helps me faster than any CV.
do you know why some people are referred to as oga, while some as chairman?? because oga looks at CV while chairman makes it happen.

what you chose to forget is that every organization has an interest some where, why don't you explore the interest of your would be employer than wasting time on CV's.

why is exxon mobil recruiting mostly akwaibomites for QIT operations? ans; interest.what if you happen to be from Ebeno community with a bad CV? Exxon will gladly give you the job to guarantee their interest first before sending you on a course to learn how to write CVs lol.

the problem is that Nigerians believe fairy tales little wonder pastors make it big.

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by jpphilips(m): 10:42am On Dec 07, 2012
deltaforce7: In my Company, I don't really employ people based on the presentation or the volume of their CVs rather by grading their intelligent quotient. Half of the Jobs in Nigeria can be done by anybody with high IQ after brief training or even on the Job training.

Don't mind the voluminous thesis people call CV and University abused Script called Certificate.

Natural(talent) and Home acquired Intelligence is still an assets when combine with definite specialized training and education not forgetting industrial/workplace experience.

Always talk with your "would be" employee without minding the "papers" to ascertain his/her Intelligent Quotient before issuing an appointment letter.

The underlined ones above indicate that your INTELLIGENCE QUOTIENT is abysmally low. You really should not be in a position to decide on recruitment matters!

the only reason you insulted him is because you have not had the privilege to sit on a table where recruitment matters are decided in an organization. the day you will have that privilege, you will come back and apologize to him. i pray the guy doesn't take it personal with you.

that guy told you the truth, because everybody does it. don't ask me if i do it lol.

if you sincerely think you will smell a managerial seat in NNPC by p!mping Cv's then only God will forgive your ignorance.

there is a furrow between the labor market and the academic world and also, there is a wider furrow between the employees and the the Mangers. most importantly, there is a chasm btwn the CEO's and the managers. lol

the guy spoke like a CEO, but you responded like a job seeker or a low grade employee who knows next to nothing why companies recruit and the criteria for recruitment. SMH

1 Like

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by skyfall: 10:47am On Dec 07, 2012
jp philips:

listen young man, what he has to offer is contact and it is enough for any serious organization.
instead of reading how to write a CV, i will rather go trim the rough edges of my socialization, it helps me faster than any CV.
do you know why some people are referred to as oga, while some as chairman?? because oga looks at CV while chairman makes it happen.

what you chose to forget is that every organization has an interest some where, why don't you explore the interest of your would be employer than wasting time on CV's.

why is exxon mobil recruiting mostly akwaibomites for QIT operations? ans; interest.what if you happen to be from Ebeno community with a bad CV? Exxon will gladly give you the job to guarantee their interest first before sending you on a course to learn how to write CVs lol.

the problem is that Nigerians believe fairy tales little wonder pastors make it big.

You've said a lot but you still haven't made the point. Even if you come from Akwa Ibom and you're to be employed by Exxonmobil based on this, the very first step is to have a presentable CV. How hard is that to understand? And don't misrepresent facts here, multinationals won't employ you if you don't have good results. Those companies are audited regularly and it's no joke. My friend, the picture you're painting here is too colorful.

People get employed all over the world based on recommendation and sundry reasons, but you don't just walk into an office empty handed. You still need a resume.

I don't know your industry o, but a lot of people still get jobs in Nigeria based on merit only.

1 Like

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by Chigorkizz(m): 11:15am On Dec 07, 2012
Hav u guys 4goten dat anybody cn say wat he's nt in Cv?Yes.u cn form a Cv wit bunch of lies.I dnt tink cv shud b d 1st criterion 4 givin employment.i gues it shud b d last tin 2 b considered.
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by jpphilips(m): 11:19am On Dec 07, 2012
skyfall:

You've said a lot but you still haven't made the point. Even if you come from Akwa Ibom and you're to be employed by Exxonmobil based on this, the very first step is to have a presentable CV. How hard is that to understand? And don't misrepresent facts here, multinationals won't employ you if you don't have good results. Those companies are audited regularly and it's no joke. My friend, the picture you're painting here is too colorful.

People get employed all over the world based on recommendation and sundry reasons, but you don't just walk into an office empty handed. You still need a resume.

I don't know your industry o, but a lot of people still get jobs in Nigeria based on merit only.

i dont need to join issues with you because i may not cope with your ignorance, nevertheless, i didn't say people don't get jobs on merit, if you want to know how it happens i will still teach you.

i am only saying that between p!mping CV and making the right contact for a good job in Nigeria, the ratio is 10:90, the only people that understand this are minds like mine, and i cannot make any sense to you if u don't even have the right mind set.

about the exxon example

Once you know that Exxon as a matter of relevance prioritize akwaibomites, (rem. only sharp dudes have this info not some dull fellows who p!mp Cv's)

then the contact preferably should be a chief from those communities around QIT. it is that simple. if Ebeno royal highness recommends you for a job in QIT, guy, not even Exxon head quarters in Houston texas can stop that recruitment.
do you know why??

because their interest is tied around the Amayanabo. as a smart company, the Amayanabo will even have an employment quoter within QIT and sundry contracts.

now where are you really sending the CV to? to the Amayanabo that can make it happen or to some over fed HRO in Mobil towers lagos who will be preoccupied with punctuations and layout??

the choice is yours anyways.
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by gaddafe(m): 11:24am On Dec 07, 2012
subscribing
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by Nobody: 11:51am On Dec 07, 2012
@ OP thanks for the post,its worth going through it!
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by sonety2k(m): 11:53am On Dec 07, 2012
cool
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by skyfall: 12:34pm On Dec 07, 2012
jp philips:

i dont need to join issues with you because i may not cope with your ignorance, nevertheless, i didn't say people don't get jobs on merit, if you want to know how it happens i will still teach you.

i am only saying that between p!mping CV and making the right contact for a good job in Nigeria, the ratio is 10:90, the only people that understand this are minds like mine, and i cannot make any sense to you if u don't even have the right mind set.

about the exxon example

Once you know that Exxon as a matter of relevance prioritize akwaibomites, (rem. only sharp dudes have this info not some dull fellows who p!mp Cv's)

then the contact preferably should be a chief from those communities around QIT. it is that simple. if Ebeno royal highness recommends you for a job in QIT, guy, not even Exxon head quarters in Houston texas can stop that recruitment.
do you know why??

because their interest is tied around the Amayanabo. as a smart company, the Amayanabo will even have an employment quoter within QIT and sundry contracts.

now where are you really sending the CV to? to the Amayanabo that can make it happen or to some over fed HRO in Mobil towers lagos who will be preoccupied with punctuations and layout??

the choice is yours anyways.

I thought you were going to say something else. Using connection to get jobs happens everywhere and is not limited to MPN or Akwa Ibom. That the oil multinationals in the Niger Delta have a specific quota (that's the correct spelling BTW) for candidates of ND origin is no secret.
Stop sounding like you know what no one else does.

Except the company is owned by your father, the first step for a job seeker is to have a presentable CV. If you give a rubbish CV to an HR manager, he'll return it to you to go and polish it because that CV will still pass through some other people. The man wouldn't want to be seen as bringing in a mediocre.

The king of Ibeno may get you a job but he'll not come and do the job for you. If you mess up you may lose the job. The king will be asked to present someone else. I hate it when people promote mediocrity in the name of "na naija we dey."

The premise of this thread still stands; have a decent CV. You may get lucky to be helped, but sometimes, it's only your CV that'll push you ahead.

3 Likes

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by jpphilips(m): 1:41pm On Dec 07, 2012
skyfall:

I thought you were going to say something else. Using connection to get jobs happens everywhere and is not limited to MPN or Akwa Ibom. That the oil multinationals in the Niger Delta have a specific quota (that's the correct spelling BTW) for candidates of ND origin is no secret.
Stop sounding like you know what no one else does.

Except the company is owned by your father, the first step for a job seeker is to have a presentable CV. If you give a rubbish CV to an HR manager, he'll return it to you to go and polish it because that CV will still pass through some other people. The man wouldn't want to be seen as bringing in a mediocre.

The king of Ibeno may get you a job but he'll not come and do the job for you. If you mess up you may lose the job. The king will be asked to present someone else. I hate it when people promote mediocrity in the name of "na naija we dey."

The premise of this thread still stands; have a decent CV. You may get lucky to be helped, but sometimes, it's only your CV that'll push you ahead.

for pointing that typo, and using these lines in bold tells me a lot about your mind set.

in-case you don't know, not all CV's Pass through the HRO, some people are introduced to HRO and he is issued paper work later, hope you know the difference.

No bank in Nigeria will deny you employment if your are recommended by their biggest customers, i repeat NO bank.

please i don't argue with your likes who believe in sleeping in church or polishing CV. i don't believe in it and it doesn't work for me, and i wont even try it.

i don't beg for jobs from lousy HRO's, i use my contacts to arm twist them. (leave them with no choice).

continue begging HRO's for jobs and continue polishing Cv's for one guy man under AC that doesn't even read it.

even people that Got their job on merit will tell you that the CV didn't do the magic. it must end at personal relationship cum approach.

if you have the best CV and you come to me for an interview as a person who cant speak English, why will i hire you?

if you are recommended by someone who guarantees my interest i will overlook that deficiency and still hire you, isn't that simple enough.

if i need professionals in my company to guarantee service delivery, i know where to get them, they don't even have CV's, they just made names in various spheres of life, i will make them a deal of their life and welcome them on board.

employers are no Ghosts, they are human beings with interests.

2 Likes

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by skyfall: 2:34pm On Dec 07, 2012
I've made my point and it's very clear. I guess your argument will be more useful under the thread "How to get a job in Nigeria."
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by 1forall: 2:56pm On Dec 07, 2012
A CV remains a basic job seeking tool and a primary requirement.
jp philips theres a hint of arrogance and condescension in the nature of your posts that doesn't read healthy for this thread, please refer to the topic - it's about CVs that work.

Some users have stated here that a proportion of appointments are made on merit but you go on about what works for you forgetting the focus of the topic, and that you represent <0.1% of the job seeking population.
According to you:
jp philips:

Well then, a high IQ candidate shouldn't have a problem putting a good CV together in the first place.

You're welcome to start a new topic to provide additional job seeking advice and hints if you wish to share your extensive experience to complement the original post.

1 Like

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by jpphilips(m): 3:27pm On Dec 07, 2012
author=1forall]
A CV remains a basic job seeking tool and an primary requirement.
says who whose law

jp philips theres a hint of arrogance and condescension in nature of your posts that doesn't read healthy for this thread, please refer to the topic - it's about CVs that work.

i am not writing to impress you

Some users have stated here that a proportion of appointments are made on merit but you go on about what works for you forgetting the focus of the topic, and that you represent <0.1% of the job seeking population.
According to you:

I never said people don't get jobs on merit and i downplayed the polishing CV idea, not just because it doesn't work for me but it is mis leading for job seekers who have done it over the years without success.
the last sentence of that quote above, where did you read that from?? please take my permission before misquoting me.

Well then, a high IQ candidate shouldn't have a problem putting a good CV together in the first place.
with the right recommendation, the CV is inconsequential, i will only look at it if i want to memorize his surname, lol

You're welcome to start a new topic to provide additional job seeking advice and hints if you wish to share your extensive experience to complement the original post.

To get a recommendation is not a walk in the park either, there are job adverts i don't apply not because i am not qualified but i couldn't get the right recommendation for it. i don't believe in luck,that is what works for me then, and i am a realist.

if you calculate the probability of being selected from 50,000 applicants for just a vacancy, then you will understand why i wont waste my energy polishing CVs rather i use it to get the right recommendations for vacancies.
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by 1forall: 4:47pm On Dec 07, 2012
jp philips:
says who whose law
It's actually not a law, it's only common sense.

jp philips: i am not writing to impress you
I am not the only one reading this topic, you're communicating to a much wider audience here.

jp philips: I never said people don't get jobs on merit and i downplayed the polishing CV idea, not just because it doesn't work for me but it is mis leading for job seekers who have done it over the years without success.
the last sentence of that quote above, where did you read that from?? please take my permission before misquoting me.
You weren't quoted therefore couldn't have been misquoted. Assume there are 30million unemployed, (You)1 ÷ 30,000,000 = <0.1%

jp philips: with the right recommendation, the CV is inconsequential, i will only look at it if i want to memorize his surname, lol
You've spoken for yourself from your own <0.1% perspective, some other recruiters here have expressed differing views.

jp philips: To get a recommendation is not a walk in the park either, there are job adverts i don't apply not because i am not qualified but i couldn't get the right recommendation for it. i don't believe in luck,that is what works for me then, and i am a realist.

if you calculate the probability of being selected from 50,000 applicants for just a vacancy, then you will understand why i wont waste my energy polishing CVs rather i use it to get the right recommendations for vacancies.

Thanks for declaring your approach but giving the impression that recommendations are more important than having the right qualifications would encourage laziness, and continue to breed the wrong attitude that we've seen examples of already on this topic. It also tends to discourage those who are not in any position to get such recommendations.
You may have crossed the unemployment barrier and now possess the luxury of choosing an employer but don't forget that there are several thousands out there struggling to kick start their careers.

2 Likes

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by Sanmexy(m): 5:02pm On Dec 07, 2012
After all is said & done more is usually said than done.
Two things I 've picked up from this thread:
1. make ur CV a master piece
2. Build effective network...with a tincture of God's favour ur dream job is sure.

@Philip: u must be a badt chap man, 4 a young applicant ur M.O is a Herculean task cos most time u don't know anybody.
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by An0nimus: 5:10pm On Dec 07, 2012
Sanmexy:
Two things I 've picked up from this thread:
1. make ur CV a master piece
2. Build effective network...with a tincture of God's favour ur dream job is sure.
1001 likes!
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by Nobody: 5:10pm On Dec 07, 2012
@JP Phillips, I must say i totally understand your point of view, and like you I am a realist,
But one thing i want to say is that, when it comes to getting that very Great Job, you need one of two things,

You either be extremely good at what you do,
or you know people in the right places.

at the recently written test at ADDAX Petroleum a female friend got called for the aptitude test, even when she did not apply through
the website,
she was Just asked to drop her CV, few days to when text messages were sent,
don't ask me how i know..... because i won't tell

The truth is that there is no CV that works,
The title of the thread is very misleading,

@JP Phillps has said some very hard facts,
I didnt do too well in the university, was not because i wasnt smart enough,
It was simply because i didnt understand the system properly.

While i encourage everyone to try and construct their CV properly
they must not depend on it.

in times like these where computers filter CV's using keywords, trust me the best CV's still don't get picked.

If you fail to network, then you will end up throwing around your CV and never get called for interviews.
build a public profile that like minded individuals can connect with, follow companies and trends in the
industry you want to work in,
read and broaden your minds, and show people, whenever you get a chance to interact with them, what stuff you are made of.

Develop your social and people skills, Relationships rule the world.

these advice is especially for fresh graduates like myself

Don't let your fantastic grades, or over written CV fool you,
nothing works faster like knowing the right people in the right place.

And if you are a Christian like myself who believes in faith,
also remember that even God will still use a man to help you.

so you must keep praying and keep working and networking......

We will get that Job our hearts desire...

3 Likes

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by bodcash: 6:03pm On Dec 07, 2012
berekete86: i agree. where i'm working now, plenty ppl send in cv everyday. i was recommended by someone and i started training immediately. them no even look my cv sef....my broda, na God.
hahahahaha u sure say dey no ur name for dat office!!! LoLz

1 Like

Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by Dudubery: 4:47pm On Dec 08, 2012
...dem dey luk cv for dis country? Employment na base on recommendation and connection jawe sad undecided grin
Re: The CV That “works” In Nigeria – Adenike Fadina by jpphilips(m): 8:09am On Dec 10, 2012
1forall:
It's actually not a law, it's only common sense.

I am not the only one reading this topic, you're communicating to a much wider audience here.

You weren't quoted therefore couldn't have been misquoted. Assume there are 30million unemployed, (You)1 ÷ 30,000,000 = <0.1%

You've spoken for yourself from your own <0.1% perspective, some other recruiters here have expressed differing views.

Thanks for declaring your approach but giving the impression that recommendations are more important than having the right qualifications would encourage laziness, and continue to breed the wrong attitude that we've seen examples of already on this topic. It also tends to discourage those who are not in any position to get such recommendations.
You may have crossed the unemployment barrier and now possess the luxury of choosing an employer but don't forget that there are several thousands out there struggling to kick start their careers.

please refer to any part of my post where i wrote or insinuated that bold part of your quote, if you cant, then it is a shame i wasted much energy communicating with someone whose comprehension quotient is below average.
like you said, the audience is wider and like minds have caught the nuance, definitely it is not you. kindly ignore my posts and stick to that which works for you, believing you are doing better in life so why the hassle?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

@mufclatestnews Removes Editor Who Said Nigerians Are A Waste Of Oxygen & Flesh / Ugandan Hotel Job Advert: Indians & White Persons Are Preferred (Photo) / First Bank Aptitude Test Sms Alert

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.