Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,993 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 (5142 Views)

Ex-militant Escapes Death Over Adoption Of Buhari In Rivers / Photo: Handover Of Electoral Materials In Ibadan / A Pundit's Analysis Of Electoral Probabilities In The South West (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by pak: 12:27pm On Dec 07, 2012
@DanJohn,

I admire your intelligence.

Very analytical and detailed. Wish we can have more Nigerians with your kind of aptitude.

Hope you don't mind if I ask what course you studied and what do you do (as in work) ?

1 Like

Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by Olastep1(m): 12:28pm On Dec 07, 2012
See Naija. Hahaaaahaaa. Let us all go back to our villages. Let Abuja be wiped off. Electoral college ko, electoral school ni. Rubbish suggestions and posts
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by trillville(m): 12:38pm On Dec 07, 2012
Let me try to explain danjohn's post. For everyones information, Nigeria already has electoral colleges just like America. We simply do not use our electoral colleges but use majority vote to decide our elections.
Nigeria has 774 lgas which have 360 house of rep members and 109 senators. Each rep member and senator represent 1 electoral college vote. Add them up together to get 469 electoral votes.
Now how does this work?
Elections are then held at each lga and the senator or house of rep member representing that lga is mandated to vote the candidate the citizens of that lga choose.
The op went ahead to list advantages to both parties in an election as regards to cost savings and even more thorough vigilance by political parties since they can concentrate their efforts in fewer lgas.
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by Eazeee(m): 12:42pm On Dec 07, 2012
All u guys are saying hia is sentimenta n hence 1 big challenge in dis con3. U keep saying SS,SE,SW while d North is just N(north) but yet u expect dis ur sentimental SS,SE,SW to produce equal reprentation as a single North. Y not u also mention NORTH EAST,NORTH CENTRAL,NORTH WEST? U buncha crazy sycophants
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by Afam4eva(m): 12:42pm On Dec 07, 2012
Every southerner should oppose this. This is an attempt by the North to hold on to power.
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by Rapmoney(m): 12:54pm On Dec 07, 2012
Gowon should just shut up his stinking dirty gutter mouth!
He doesn't have any reputation to speak on the politics of Nigeria.
May 10 million ferocious Afghanistan flies infest his stinking mouth!!!

He should just mind his old self...the atrocities he commited during
the civil war still linger; they will surely hunt his old stinking head till he dies!!!
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by kayusbrown(m): 1:00pm On Dec 07, 2012
Our problem is not the system but the people that run the system! Electoral college system will change nothing. What we need is National value re-orientation, attitudinal change and character reformation of every corrupt Nigerian. We must place patriotism above selfishness and excessive materialism. Above all, we must love one another genuinely regardless of religious or tribal divide.
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by Iolo(m): 1:22pm On Dec 07, 2012
0lumide: This will still be same thing but will concentrate voting power in places with high population.

Lagos, Oyo, Kaduna... Now, no place in SS/SE can have such voting power which will mean we are back to marginalization. Unless you are willing to give Enugu and Edo state the same voting power given to Kaduna, Kano, Lagos, Oyo which I doubt is right.

So electoral college isn't our option just yet!

You want every Nigerian to go to the polls knowing their vote matters right?

If we have electoral college system, the entire SS/SE won't have more than Lagos and Oyo or Kaduna and Kano. That will be too much marginalization.

Americans are trying to return to majority vote and this stone headed rogue want us to return to a system that breeds marginalization in a tribal nation like Nigeria? Abeg make this man no dey go watch America come de prescribe nonsense for us here in 9ja ooo!!

He's just trying to be smart. Buhari would have won if we had an electoral college in Nigeria.

No No No. We don't want.
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by Iolo(m): 1:28pm On Dec 07, 2012
trillville: Let me try to explain danjohn's post. For everyones information, Nigeria already has electoral colleges just like America. We simply do not use our electoral colleges but use majority vote to decide our elections.
Nigeria has 774 lgas which have 360 house of rep members and 109 senators. Each rep member and senator represent 1 electoral college vote. Add them up together to get 469 electoral votes.
Now how does this work?
Elections are then held at each lga and the senator or house of rep member representing that lga is mandated to vote the candidate the citizens of that lga choose.
The op went ahead to list advantages to both parties in an election as regards to cost savings and even more thorough vigilance by political parties since they can concentrate their efforts in fewer lgas.

In Nigeria alll states have d exact same number of senators and reps. that's different from what the uS practices if am correct. California one has about 55 votes at the electoral college.
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by GAR3TH(m): 1:38pm On Dec 07, 2012
The Electoral College is the most ridiculous, most out dated system to elect someone. People in america are thinking of getting rid of the electoral college but Nigeria want to implement it? are you serious, a system were theoretically you can win an election in the USA with only 21% of the popular vote. Really, you want that in Nigeria!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wC42HgLA4k
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by Nobody: 1:44pm On Dec 07, 2012
0lumide: Trust me bro, should the should the nation adopt electoral college system, SS/SE will be censored to silence in Nigeria!!

So it possibly what that Gowon wants. Its not enough that he murdered our people, he also wants to keep them in perpetual doom. Tufiakwa! It won't work.
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by trillville(m): 1:44pm On Dec 07, 2012
Iolo:

In Nigeria alll states have d exact same number of senators and reps. that's different from what the uS practices if am correct. California one has about 55 votes at the electoral college.
No you are wrong, Lagos and Kano have the highest number of reps with 24 each. Check out danjohn's first table. Each federal constituency has 1 house rep.
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by Nobody: 2:56pm On Dec 07, 2012
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by Gabrielsylar(m): 3:04pm On Dec 07, 2012
No be only electoral college na electoral nursery
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by nagoma(m): 3:15pm On Dec 07, 2012
0lumide: Trust me bro, should the should the nation adopt electoral college system, SS/SE will be censored to silence in Nigeria!!

Let's have it then!
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by wolebaba(m): 5:06pm On Dec 07, 2012
People plz watever U do.....don't listen to Gowon oooo he is d most untrustworthy Nigerian in history. Jonathan is no. 2
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by Yeske2(m): 5:43pm On Dec 07, 2012
DJTee:

War-time General "Dan Jos" got a lil carried away . . .wishful thinking!!
I tell ya
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by danjohn: 6:37pm On Dec 07, 2012
Iolo:

Iolo, please look at the pictures that I posted. Your above statement is false. In Nigeria, each state has an equal number of senators but representation in the house of reps is based on population. For example, while Lagos and Bayelsa have 3 senators each, Lagos has 24 representatives in the house of reps while Bayelsa has only 5.
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by danjohn: 7:05pm On Dec 07, 2012
Iolo:

He's just trying to be smart. Buhari would have won if we had an electoral college in Nigeria.

No No No. We don't want.

Iolo, Jonathan won the 2011 election with 59% of the vote. If we had an electoral college, his percent tally would have stayed the same.

Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by danjohn: 7:16pm On Dec 07, 2012
pak: @DanJohn,

I admire your intelligence.

Very analytical and detailed. Wish we can have more Nigerians with your kind of aptitude.

Hope you don't mind if I ask what course you studied and what do you do (as in work) ?

Thank you very much for the compliment. I studied business administration and I currently work as a Finance Professional.
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by wowo2: 7:24pm On Dec 07, 2012
When America (especially their loosing parties in almost every election) would rather dump the electoral college....someone wants it for another country?

By the way, the easy and clear process of popular votes is not even practiced correctly in Nigeria ...now we should go for a more obfuscating process!

Sir, we can stick to prayers...Nigeria Pray.
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by psalmizt(m): 8:30pm On Dec 07, 2012
Hi @danjohn, I admire your indepth analysis of the electoral college in Nigeria. If I may ask, is there any way the percentage winnings of a state translate to how many electoral vote a person gets from a state instead of the winner take all that is currently being proposed. The only condition for winner take all can then be when you get more than 70% of the popular vote. A 51% vote = all available electoral college vote is unfair cos the challenge is pretty close... Just my thoughts sha.....
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by Yujin(m): 8:42pm On Dec 07, 2012
Now, I'm convinced of Gowon's real personality. I had taken him a victim of circumstance but I was sincerely wrong. Gowon is a wicked man and the blood of those he DELIBERATELY murdered will hunt him to his grave and it won't take long.
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by calcal: 9:54pm On Dec 07, 2012
we need to first clean/treat the trabalism running in our blood.
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by kettykin: 9:28am On Dec 08, 2012
danjohn: In the United States, electoral college votes are allocated based on the number of senators and representatives a state has in the Federal Congress. If we adopted that same rule below is the number of electoral college votes each state will receive. We will have a total of 469 electoral college votes and 235 will be needed to win a Presidential Election.

Below is a scenario that I put together as a guide. There are obviously caveats since every election cycle has its own unique dynamics.

The Analysis by DanJohn is one of the most analytical and intelligent post ever in Nairaland , more kudos Dan John .
However before we talk of Electoral college Nigeria should gets int Census right, i have it on track that Nigeria is barely above 100 Million people the rest is Ghost Population you can recheck this fact by going back to the 1962 census that was done by an expatriate and given the fact that the poluation growth rate is between 3 % and 4 % as shown below

Perhaps to fully understand the census figures of 1991, it might be necessary to revisit the previous census figures of 1963. The first post independent Nigerian head count occurred in 1962 that put Nigeria population at 45.26 million. At the end of the exercise, northern Nigeria was 22.01 million while the south was 23.25 million. Southern hopes for reapportionment of legislative seats were buoyed by the results. When this result was presented to Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, the Prime Minister, who was a northerner, he rejected the result outright.
http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2006/mar/211.html

Nigerias Pouplation would have doubled by 1995 to about 90.52 million

Scaling it up to 2012 Nigeria should be having a population of 135.78 Million when the number of people who died in the
Civil war an estimate of 3 Million and the Sharia riots, Boko Haram insurgency , armed robbery , ritual Killing ,Political assasination , abortions subsidy riots , militancy e.t.c we would have a figure of 5 Million souls when this figure is removed from the total poulation of 130 million
This brings the population of Nigeria to 130 Million.

The second issue is this bearing in Mind the Nigerians who are in Diaspora it would be wrong to give SE very low Electoral college figures since most of their citizens are in neighbouring African countries and also in other Nigerian Cities like Lagos , Kano , Kaduna ,Jos , a Very thorough 2014 Census which should involve the use of very detailed Biometrics Technology to remove rigging will address this though.

The population of Nigerians 18 years above obtained during the last National ID card project should also be analysed for use of Electrol College system and state of Origin rather than state of residence should be used to award the Electoral college voting powers and my reasons are these.

There are many Hausa Fulani in Plateau who are having running battle with the indigenes of whom include General Yakubu Gowon , giving them Electoral College rights will amount to loss of power of the indigneneous people.

This also affects igbos in Lagos and Kano
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by kettykin: 9:47am On Dec 08, 2012
Perhaps to fully understand the census figures of 1991, it might be necessary to revisit the previous census figures of 1963. The first post independent Nigerian head count occurred in 1962 that put Nigeria population at 45.26 million. At the end of the exercise, northern Nigeria was 22.01 million while the south was 23.25 million. Southern hopes for reapportionment of legislative seats were buoyed by the results. When this result was presented to Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, the Prime Minister, who was a northerner, he rejected the result outright.

Abubakar saw no reason why southern Nigeria should have been more populated than the north. He promptly fired the British representative, J. J. Warren, who was in charge of the census and usurped the position. He then called for a 1963 census. Following the recount, he announced that northerners were undercounted by a whopping 8.5 million!

The South did not waste time disputing the new figures. Following a little doctoring, the North was finally put at 29.8 million, a little less than the 31 million attained previously in the recount while the South was reduced to 25.9 million. In the recount, the East, Midwest, and Lagos remained virtually where they were in the 1962 census at 12.4, 2.5, and 0.7 million, respectively. The West increased from 7.8 million in 1962 to 10.3 million in 1963

Tafawa Balewa rejected the Census organised by the Brits and instead did a second census where he increased the population of the north from 22 million to 29.8 million and increased the population of the South west yorubas from 7.8 million to 10.3 million to buy the souls of the yorubas .

Yhis is rather were the problem of Nigeria started and we should go there to solve the problem and not just hallucinating about an Electoral College that has worked for US which has no population issues
Re: Gowon Advocates Adoption Of Electoral-College For 2015 by Nobody: 11:12am On Dec 08, 2012
Bro I tink u r a real political pundit, u r an informed being, very explicit analysis, I can see most of d commentators here are commentn jst either on a yoruba south or an ibo east all these myopic pple are nt aware dat GEJ won elections as a result of swing vote in d 8 middle belt states where he had overwhelmn returns, so in essence all these north/south bickern about diverse interest is just vry selfish, until d middle belt which holds d final say 2 possible outcomes of aggregation of interest is brought 2 fore in understandn voters behaviour/ votin pattern in d pol geography of nigeria
danjohn:

Also please note that the North is not a monolithic region. There is diversity. There are 19 states in the North (20 if you include Abuja) and Buhari won only 12 of them. 8 voted for Jonathan: Taraba, Benue, Kogi, Kwara, Adamawa, Nasarawa, Plataeu and Abuja. There are swing states in the North that can vote for a southerner or a northerner depending on the election.

The issue I have with the electoral college is that it can make candidates to abandon states. When a candidate has to win the popular vote, they campaign everywhere because they need all the votes they can find. However, with the electoral college system, most candidates will focus their time and effort on the states I mentioned above plus Kaduna because they can swing either way. Nonetheless, there are always caveats and every election has its own unique dynamics.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Opinion Poll: Should PMB Contest Again, Will You Vote Him? See Voting Result / Akure Explosion Left Behind A Massive Impact Crater (Photos) / 2023: Satan Endorses Tinubu (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.