Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,037 members, 7,956,859 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:49 PM

Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? (1100 Views)

New Trend In UK Churches As Pastors Now Growing Beards. / How Can A Spiritual Problem Be Solved? / Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? by Ivalyn(f): 1:14pm On Dec 09, 2012
I was watching a movie 2day,nd d spiritual problem was solved by d priest of a whitegarment church nd den,i jst flashed back 2 almst all d Yoruba speaking movies i had watched nd discovered daht most of dem portray white garment churches as spiritual problem solvers nd i decided 2 check awt your opinions on y
Re: Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? by k2039: 1:27pm On Dec 09, 2012
Actually, they portray ifa more as the solution to most problems.

I have watched over 20,000 yoruba movies my whole life, I'm sure of what I'm saying.

At other times, they portray Imams and white garment priests as the solution, but not as much as they portray traditional herbalist.

The reason boils down to culture, that was the inherent religion of that tribe(traditional religion), so they just have to portray it in their movies.

1 Like

Re: Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? by Ivalyn(f): 11:10pm On Dec 09, 2012
k2039: Actually, they portray ifa more as the solution to most problems.

I have watched over 20,000 yoruba movies my whole life, I'm sure of what I'm saying.

At other times, they portray Imams and white garment priests as the solution, but not as much as they portray traditional herbalist.

The reason boils down to culture, that was the inherent religion of that tribe(traditional religion), so they just have to portray it in their movies.
....hmmmmmm...does daht mean majority of Yoruba's are naht xtains?
Re: Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? by k2039: 11:12pm On Dec 09, 2012
Ivalyn: ....hmmmmmm...does daht mean majority of Yoruba's are naht xtains?
Fore fathers werent, they were traditionalist until missionaries came, so the yoruba brand when it comes to religion is the tr aditional one.
Re: Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? by Ivalyn(f): 3:55pm On Dec 10, 2012
k2039: Fore fathers werent, they were traditionalist until missionaries came, so the yoruba brand when it comes to religion is the tr aditional one.
......Buh d Era of dier forefathers is ova...Xo if dey mst shoot movies,y dnt dy portray wah dy blv in,afterall,dier forefathers are naht here 2 watch d movies
Re: Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? by Joagbaje(m): 4:57pm On Dec 10, 2012
Ivalyn: I was watching a movie 2day,nd d spiritual problem was solved by d priest of a whitegarment church nd den,i jst flashed back 2 almst all d Yoruba speaking movies i had watched nd discovered daht most of dem portray white garment churches as spiritual problem solvers nd i decided 2 check awt your opinions on y

the ibo films also portray catbolic church as solutions
Re: Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? by k2039: 5:21pm On Dec 10, 2012
Ivalyn: ......Buh d Era of dier forefathers is ova...Xo if dey mst shoot movies,y dnt dy portray wah dy blv in,afterall,dier forefathers are naht here 2 watch d movies
It's called promoting tradition
Re: Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? by ichuka(m): 7:48pm On Dec 10, 2012
Joagbaje:

On point bro.
Re: Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:57pm On Dec 10, 2012
Ivalyn: ....hmmmmmm...does daht mean majority of Yoruba's are naht xtains?

Majority of Yorubas are Traditionalist Pagans except on Sunday / Friday.

10-20% are full-timers. and this number is gradually increasing as we speak.
Re: Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? by Ivalyn(f): 10:14pm On Dec 10, 2012
Joagbaje:

...Atleast,d catholic church is berra dan Whitegarment churches nd 'Babalawo's'
Re: Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? by Ivalyn(f): 10:17pm On Dec 10, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

Majority of Yorubas are Traditionalist Pagans except on Sunday / Friday.

10-20% are full-timers. and this number is gradually increasing as we speak.
...Buh mst pastors are Yoruba's...especially in d RCCG nd LIVING FAITH(WINNERS CHAPEL)
Re: Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:22pm On Dec 10, 2012
Ivalyn: ...Buh mst pastors are Yoruba's...especially in d RCCG nd LIVING FAITH(WINNERS CHAPEL)

you dont understand these Yorubas. let me give you an example:

‎'Segun Osoba, a renowned Professor of History, once ended a narrative on a similar subject with an anecdote about one of the few Yoruba Ijebu converts to Christianity. This particular man became a 'Pastor' as is commonplace today; once, a member of his congregation vexed him (names and details withheld) to a degree that he had to take off his pastoral regalia (not sure what they used to call that), thus revealing the hitherto concealed attire of a Juju Priest (Pagan Priest).

That anecdote represented the suspicion with which the Ijebus held Christianity while yet practicing it.
Re: Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? by Ivalyn(f): 10:23pm On Dec 10, 2012
k2039: It's called promoting tradition
...Nd if dy are xo conversant with dier bibles(since mst pastors are yoruba's) dy are supposed 2 knw berra dan daht
Re: Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:29pm On Dec 10, 2012
Ivalyn: ...Nd if dy are xo conversant with dier bibles(since mst pastors are yoruba's) dy are supposed 2 knw berra dan daht

the point is that pastors are not the ones making movies.
Re: Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? by k2039: 10:40pm On Dec 10, 2012
Ivalyn: ...Nd if dy are xo conversant with dier bibles(since mst pastors are yoruba's) dy are supposed 2 knw berra dan daht

If you want to watch a christian like movie, get mount ion films, that's why you have mount zion films.

All religions are dogmatic, everyone believes in what has worked for them, just as I believe in Jesus, some others believe in something else.
Re: Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? by tpia1: 11:42pm On Dec 10, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

you dont understand these Yorubas. let me give you an example:

‎'Segun Osoba, a renowned Professor of History, once ended a narrative on a similar subject with an anecdote about one of the few Yoruba Ijebu converts to Christianity. This particular man became a 'Pastor' as is commonplace today; once, a member of his congregation vexed him (names and details withheld) to a degree that he had to take off his pastoral regalia (not sure what they used to call that), thus revealing the hitherto concealed attire of a Juju Priest (Pagan Priest).

That anecdote represented the suspicion with which the Ijebus held Christianity while yet practicing it.

not sure of your point, but yes, quite a lot of yorubas mix traditional religion with christianity.

however, its not yorubas alone who do this- most nigerians do the same.

1 Like

Re: Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:47pm On Dec 10, 2012
yes i agree. but some do it a bit more than others, if you know what i mean, . . it is nohing to be ashamed of. it is a good thing.

(1) (Reply)

Happy Birthday Mummy G O RCCG / 5 Type Of Ladies You Wouldn't Wanna Sit Close To In Church / Rccg - The Great Shepherd Convention - Watch Live

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.