Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,268 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:59 AM

Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? (14662 Views)

Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? / Babalawos And Mamalawos In Lagos. / ~'Christians' Who Attend Church And Consult Babalawos At The Same Time. . .~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 5:21pm On May 14, 2010
I Am Sick & Tired Of Yoruba Movie Producers/Directors! They Make Me Sick!

I think most of the Yoruba movie producers and directors are uncivilized and lack foresight.   I am in a fowl mood now and ready to bash these so-called primitive people called producers/directors.

I have seen hundreds of their movies of recent, and my Gawd, detest every bit of it! The actors/actress are ok by me , and even most of the story lines are fine. The most annoying part is when every difficult situation the cast face(s) has to lead to a babalawo. The Producers/directors tends to focus your attention to the 'wonderful role' these so=called herbalist play in their lives.

Ogogo and his wife are childless, next thing you see is babalawo. Although they often said they're revealing what most Nigerian does, this is often not the case. The Producer is the brain behind the fetishism, casting shadows of what may or kill his/her people if alternate source is not used.

However, most of the Yoruba actor/producers are Muslims (Yoruba Muslims sees nothing wrong with aajo- alternate source) thereby making the Christians amongst them look rather sheepish or marooned. Murphy Afolabi is one of the worst Yoruba Producer of all time. Always showcasing his diabolical power or most times herbalitical prowess. For goodness sake, does every misfortune in  Yoruba Movies have to lead to consulting a soothsayer/herbalist?

I think its high time we stopped this madness and discourage the use of these babalawo's in almost all the Yoruba movies. What happened to the positive side of things? Don't get me wrong here, I'm not in any way insinuating that some of these things don't happen in real life, but i'm on the positive side of things. Let us boycott their use and be more civilize. Bukky wright (a Muslim) is sick, you see her first with the herbalist, then  Alfa, and finally the Church (Cele or C&S). Any spiritual place that sees vision and give something to use for remedy suit the Producer/director perfectly. These so-called think they're discouraging people from the use of native powers, but in essence, encouraging it.

Yoruba Movies always ridicule the Christian faith but encourages Islam and fetishism (both goes hand-in- hand). I am tired and tired of this non-sense. These people are just too overly cultural and traditional and refuses to see the positivity of Jesus's salvation to their ignorance.

Just waiting for the day I'd catch any of these miscreant; I swear I'll teach them a good lesson. I dey vex, make nobody stop me.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by labiyemmy(m): 6:02pm On May 14, 2010
you dont have to watch if you detest them that much-

Is there any American movie that doesnt promote s e x and immorality? What will you say to the producers? They should produce Sci Fi movies instead of what sells them? I dont get you bro!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by MadMax1(f): 7:41pm On May 14, 2010
LWKMD. Oya, sorry. No vex. grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Tudor6(f): 12:27am On May 15, 2010
bee444:

I think most of the Yoruba movie producers and directors are uncivilized and lack foresight.   I am in a fowl mood now and ready to bash these so-called primitive ode's and oloshi's.

I have seen hundreds of their movies of recent, and my Gawd, detest every bit of it! The actors/actress are ok by me , and even most of the story lines are fine. The most annoying part is when every difficult situation the cast face(s) has to lead to a babalawo. The Producers/directors tends to focus your attention to the 'wonderful role' these so=called herbalist play in their lives.

Ogogo and his wife are childless, next thing you see is babalawo. Although they often said they're revealing what most Nigerian does, this is often not the case. The Producer is the brain behind the fetishism, casting shadows of what may or kill his/her people if alternate source is not used.

However, most of the Yoruba actor/producers are Muslims (Yoruba Muslims sees nothing wrong with aajo- alternate source) thereby making the Christians amongst them look rather sheepish or marooned. Murphy Afolabi is one of the worst Yoruba Producer of all time. Always showcasing his diabolical power or most times herbalitical prowess. For goodness sake, does every misfortune in  Yoruba Movies have to lead to consulting a soothsayer/herbalist?

I think its high time we stopped this madness and discourage the use of these babalawo's. What happened to the positive side of things? Don't get me wrong here, I'm not in any way insinuating that some of these things don't happen in real life, but i'm on the positive side of things. Let us boycott their use and be more civilize. Bukky wright (a Muslim) is sick, you see her first with the herbalist, then  Alfa, and finally the Church (Cele or C&S); they don't even take them to a proper Church. Any spiritual place that sees vision and give something to use for remedy suit the Producer/director perfectly. These so-called think they're discouraging people from the use of native powers, but in essence, encouraging it.

Yoruba Movies always ridicule the Christian faith but encourages Islam and fetishism (both goes hand- in- hand). I am tired and tired of this non-sense. These people are just too overly cultural and traditional and refuses to see the positivity of Jesus's salvation to their ignorance.

Just waiting for the day I'd catch any of these miscreant; I swear I'll teach them a good lesson. I dey vex, make nobody stop me.

May god punish u and that empty skull u call a brain. . .why would u shamefully disrespect the culture, traditions, history n wisdom  of our forefathers? Our culture and traditional way of worship is now being described as 'primitive' 'negativity' etc?

Wat is the difference between your bloodthirsty yahweh n our traditional dieties? Did they not both ask for murders, human n animal sacrifice etc?

A typical native yoruba man has a problem and u expect him to ring the pope?
Only an idiot will expect a typical native yoruba man to seek salvation from a dead jewish carpenter who died n decayed over 2000yrs ago.

I'm sure u jesus-slowpoke-jewish- wannabe-nitwits would jump for joy if they were celebrating passover in yoruba movies.

Christian films like mount zion films insult and misinform about our traditional religions all d time. Our indigenous faith are potrayed as evil, wicked, primitive, barbaric etc. The christian always humiliates n belittles the traditionalists in such movies n the whiteman's god always triumphs. Now traditionalists make thier own movies and ninnys are ranting and foaming in the mouth.

If u're uncomfortable with the yoruba culture you can buy mount zion films and watch or better still, burundi is not far, u can always emigrate.

If u lyk vex and kill yourself, nobody gives a damn. Infact Disheartening scum like u are better useful to the yoruba culture dead. Since u cannot add value to our yoruba identity u're better off nourishing our arable land with your carcass.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Krayola(m): 3:12am On May 15, 2010
kai!! see yabbing. shocked

I feel u mehn. Up yoruba, Up my village, up babalawo. e mi o ran iya pope!!!! cool
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Obelomo: 7:04am On May 15, 2010
I understand what Bee444 is saying I love many Yoruba films, but many emphasis on voodoo, Yemoja,etc. culture, even when it not relevant to the storyline.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Tudor6(f): 7:32am On May 15, 2010
Krayola:

kai!! see yabbing. shocked

I feel u mehn. Up yoruba, Up my village, up babalawo. e mi o ran iya pope!!!! cool
Yes oo One great emcee once said ''we no send them even if them use ten stamps'' grin
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by SisiKill1: 9:54am On May 15, 2010
@ OP
Your fowl mood is mild compared to the tolotolo mood reading this trash has put me in.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by manmustwac(m): 11:08am On May 15, 2010
@bee444
which tribe are you?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Krayola(m): 12:13pm On May 15, 2010
Tudór:

Yes oo One great emcee once said ''we no send them even if them use ten stamps'' grin

haha. grin grin That made my day!! Chei . . I no know say u hear am o. Me sef don get small famousness tongue

We no send dem o. Kolomentality must die . . a painful death for that matter!!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Tudor6(f): 1:01pm On May 15, 2010
Krayola:

haha. grin grin That made my day!! Chei . . I no know say u hear am o. Me sef don get small famousness tongue

We no send dem o. Kolomentality must die . . a painful death for that matter!!
Amen!

You na tight man to tell u the truth i was impressed with ur flow, beats n mix, Email me links to all ur tracks past n present abeg, that'll make my day. Email add is on my profile cheesy
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Krayola(m): 1:41pm On May 15, 2010
haha. No wahala. Check ur mail in like ten minutes wink
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Tudor6(f): 1:50pm On May 15, 2010
Ok ooo. . . . I want EVERYTHING no matter how unfinished lol
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Krayola(m): 2:00pm On May 15, 2010
haha thanks. mo gbe!! my head dey swell e don nearly burst. I dey come make i go soak am inside ice water.  grin grin
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 6:58pm On May 15, 2010
Tudór:

May god punish u and that empty skull u call a brain. . .why would u shamefully disrespect the culture, traditions, history n wisdom  of our forefathers? Our culture and traditional way of worship is now being described as 'primitive' 'negativity' etc?

Wat is the difference between your bloodthirsty yahweh n our traditional dieties? Did they not both ask for murders, human n animal sacrifice etc?

A typical native yoruba man has a problem and u expect him to ring the pope?
Only an idiot will expect a typical native yoruba man to seek salvation from a dead jewish carpenter who died n decayed over 2000yrs ago.

I'm sure u jesus-slowpoke-jewish- wannabe-nitwits would jump for joy if they were celebrating passover in yoruba movies.

Christian films like mount zion films insult and misinform about our traditional religions all d time. Our indigenous faith are potrayed as evil, wicked, primitive, barbaric etc. The christian always humiliates n belittles the traditionalists in such movies n the whiteman's god always triumphs. Now traditionalists make thier own movies and ninnys are ranting and foaming in the mouth.

If u're uncomfortable with the yoruba culture you can buy mount zion films and watch or better still, burundi is not far, u can always emigrate.

If u lyk vex and kill yourself, nobody gives a damn. Infact Disheartening scum like u are better useful to the yoruba culture dead. Since u cannot add value to our yoruba identity u're better off nourishing our arable land with your carcass.

I only came out here to air my concern and hear people's opinion over same, but not to be abused by anyone.

Your god cannot do anything to me, but my God, the I AM that I AM will recompense you abundantly with your fowl mouth. I refuse to get into any argument with you. I have an excellent spirit and do have powers over every principalities and powers, spiritual wickedness in heavenly places, ruler of the darkness of the world, satanic human agent like you, and I also have dominion over your juju powers and that of your god.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 7:01pm On May 15, 2010
manmustwac:

@bee444
which tribe are you?

Lets not get into that! Just want your honest and sincere opinion about my points.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 7:03pm On May 15, 2010
Sisi_Kill:

@ OP
Your fowl mood is mild compared to the tolotolo mood reading this trash has put me in.

Can't respond to every idiotic and senseless post u know!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 7:14pm On May 15, 2010
Obelomo:

I understand what Bee444 is saying I love many Yoruba films, but many emphasis on voodoo, Yemoja,etc. culture, even when it not relevant to the storyline.

God bless you.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Nobody: 7:37pm On May 15, 2010
@ b444, u make sense babe. For me, there r a million & one ways of solving problems and going to see a babalawo should not be any of the ways! Most of this issues that people go to see this babalawos for can always be solved with logical reasoning and dialog or being purely creative. The depiction of diabolical means to get answers r quite unintelligent! This is the 21st century for Heaven's sake. we should seek better ways of resolving issues.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by fyneguy: 7:44pm On May 15, 2010
Tudór:

Amen!

You na tight man to tell u the truth i was impressed with your flow, beats n mix, Email me links to all your tracks past n present abeg, that'll make my day. Email add is on my profile cheesy

Tudor oni were were, you sure say na beats links u dey find? no lead that weak fellow into temptation o tongue
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Krayola(m): 7:55pm On May 15, 2010
@ topic What about $Exx scenes? What do they add to the story line? Does James bond always have to screw the hot badass chik before the movie sweet?

Abeg leave babalawo alone. Na movie. If dem go church una no go complain.

Up babalawo. If u like try me I go send sopona come bite u cool
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by mrmayor(m): 8:29pm On May 15, 2010
@Topic,

Its not just Nollywood "Yoruba" movies that potray this sad image of Africans (Black Race), in Nigeria especially the joke called nollywood, the Man of God is king, with " Pastor All Things Are Possible".

Typical Nigeria Prayer Meeting.

[size=14pt]ARTICLE OF FAITH:Stealing, killing and destroying [/size]

Femi Aribisala

I was reviewing this article, then titled "Ungodly Prayers," when the Lord suddenly spoke. He said: "Femi, it is written, ‘my house shall be called a house of prayer,' but they have made it a ‘den of thieves.' The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy" (Mt 21:13; Jn 10:10).

Immediately, I understood him. Thieves now attend prayer-meetings where they steal, kill and destroy.

Malicious Prayers

At these prayer-meetings, you are likely to see "ogbologbo" Christians firing "return-to-sender missiles" with great alacrity. They might shout with "holy anger:" "Let my killer begin to kill himself now, in Jesus' name." Or they might make a decree: "I command the baptism of madness to fall on my stubborn enemies, in Jesus' name."

These thieves pray with passion borne out of pure "sanctified" hatred: "Every lying tongue against me; be destroyed now, in the name of Jesus." You can get to one meeting and find one thousand thieves chanting "die; die; die" in alarming frenzy. Who do they want consumed suddenly by Holy Ghost fire? "Every enemy of my marriage; every enemy of my destiny; every power planning to wage war against my divine vision; what are you waiting for, die in the name of Jesus."

Like the biblical Amalekites, these enemies are destroyed with fanfare, only to resurrect again and again.

Vengeful Prayers

In January 2008, armed robbers attacked a church on the outskirts of Lagos and raided some banks on the premises. The bishop took offence and cursed them. He directed his church-members to pray that the wrath of God would be visited on the criminals. He also cursed kidnappers operating in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria. He asked God to kill them all. He said: "We place curse on their roots wherever they are and we pray that thunders of heaven will strike and the judgment of God will come upon them."

Is this bishop a follower of Jesus? I seriously doubt it. According to Jesus, those who curse their enemies and pray for their death cannot be sons of God (Mt 5:45). Sons of God love their enemies and repay evil for good. They don't swear or curse. They don't go to prayer-meetings and chant "die; die; die."

However, the doctrine of sacrifices, whereby people inherit land that is not theirs; kill off the rightful owners, and destroy entire tribes and races, has brought a devious spirit into the heart of Christianity, in spite of Jesus' warnings (Lk 9:51-56).

Unrighteous Prayers

I was at a fellowship when someone came up with a strange prayer-request. He had paid someone who promised to show him his WAEC exam papers beforehand.

However, the person not only failed to do so, he also refused to refund the money. In distress, this Christian "thief" asked us to pray to God so that he can "possess his possession." "After all," he maintained, "I have paid for the exam papers."

But how can we pray to a God of righteousness to fulfill ungodly petitions? The psalmist asks: "Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge?" (Ps 14:4). Christians need to know that God does not attend the prayer-meetings of thieves and robbers. Thus, Asaph pleads: "O LORD God of hosts, how long will you be angry against the prayer of your people?" (Ps 80:4)

Covetous Prayers

A friend attended a service where "baba isale" thieves were told to write prayer-requests on pieces of paper which were then given to the pastor.

Many allowed their imagination to run riot, asking God to give them what rightfully belonged to others. Some asked for all the properties in Lekki, a high-brow area of Lagos. Others asked for choice local industries and companies.

A major area of interest was the airlines. In this spiritual free for all, many of the local airlines became up for grabs. However, a problem arose when a poor unemployed church-member asked God to give him British Airways lock, stock and barrel. The pastor was not amused. That thief had gone too far. How could he expect God to give him British Airways?

But if God could give others the local Bellview and Albarka Airlines, why not the foreign British Airways? Is anything too difficult for God? Once we encourage covetousness in the name of prayer, how can we then draw arbitrary limitations? If God would give the property of others to us, what stops him from giving others our property?

This is what happens when thieves and robbers pastor churches. We end up by teaching men the tricks of our trade. Jesus says: "All who ever came before me are thieves and robbers" (Jn 10:cool. Those who came after are no better. Indeed, we are worse.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Opinion/5564604-147/article_of_faithstealing_killing_and_destroying.csp
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Tudor6(f): 8:57pm On May 15, 2010
bee444:

I only came out here to air my concern and hear people's opinion over same, but not to be abused by anyone.

Your god cannot do anything to me, but my God, the I AM that I AM will recompense you abundantly with your fowl mouth. I refuse to get into any argument with you. I have an excellent spirit and do have powers over every principalities and powers, spiritual wickedness in heavenly places, ruler of the darkness of the world, satanic human agent like you, and I also have dominion over your juju powers and that of your god.

I laugh in swahili, What a slowpoke.

Excellent spirit in deed. . . The same drunkard who is calling producers primitive ''ode's'' n ''oloshi''. . Wat a loon
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 9:11pm On May 15, 2010
Tudór:

I laugh in swahili, What a slowpoke.

Excellent spirit in deed. . . The same drunkard who is calling producers primitive ''ode's'' n ''oloshi''. . Wat a loon

I have a bad feelings of you, you're very deep in fetishism!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Krayola(m): 9:22pm On May 15, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 11:07pm On May 15, 2010
Krayola:

@ topic What about $Exx scenes? What do they add to the story line? Does James bond always have to screw the hot badass chik before the movie sweet?

Abeg leave babalawo alone. Na movie. If dem go church una no go complain.

Up babalawo. If u like try me I go send sopona come bite u cool

What has sex scenes got to do with the topic, you hypocrite?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Krayola(m): 11:43pm On May 15, 2010
haha. This is what I was actually responding to. I was using my phone and didn't feel like scrolling all the way up to check the posters name so I just used "@ topic"

Obelomo:

Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by ilosiwaju: 2:38pm On May 16, 2010
Christian movies are more pathetic for beer's sake. No matter the intrigues, one thing is sure: good defeats evil. The thing is that we all love to see evil defeated but the truth is that it does not always work that way. Politicians swear with bibles and korans while assuming office but they still mess up anyway and some go scott-free; they know the shi.t does not work.
We are africans.

We are not jamaicans for god's sake, ee woju e now. Nonsense!!! Ti ba gba e leti wa gbo GBAO- JJC
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by paris10: 2:46pm On May 16, 2010
This is a huge concern on my part as well. The English version of the Nigerian movie industry are trying as much as they can to either reduce or eliminate the use of occults or black powers in their movies. I just wonder what is actually going on in the head of their Yoruba movie counterpart?

They seems to encourage rather than discourage the use of black powers. I believe Yoruba movie producers would rather stick to the status quo rather than challenge it. For they themselves are victims of these so-called traditional powers. I also do believe that education has a lot to do with it. For almost 60% of the Yoruba casts and producers/directors are half-educated.

The Christians amongst them are not strong Christians but those that believes in the use of black powers. For according to some of the actors/actresses, they said you have to protect yourself by all means to be successful or live in the industry.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Nobody: 2:51pm On May 16, 2010
Most of this issues that people go to see this babalawos for can always be solved with logical reasoning and dialog or being purely creative.

and then the babalawos income will reduce?

the reasoning involved here is why use creative logic when babalawo can do it for you.

are we not black africans? That's the long and short of who we are.

but some of the power of juju, sha, is the ability to control minds. I think that's what keeps people in perpetual bondage here.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 2:57pm On May 16, 2010
ilosiwaju:

Christian movies are more pathetic for beer's sake. No matter the intrigues, one thing is sure: good defeats evil. The thing is that we all love to see evil defeated but the truth is that it does not always work that way. Politicians swear with bibles and korans while assuming office but they still mess up anyway and some go scott-free; they know the shi.t does not work.
We are africans.

We are not jamaicans for god's sake, ee woju e now. Nonsense!!! Ti ba gba e leti wa gbo GBAO- JJC

The topic is not about Christian Movies and Juju Movies my dear. Its all about the rampant and incessant use of black powers in vectually all Yoruba movies.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by PastorAIO: 4:10pm On May 16, 2010
All these fowl moods are making me quite hungry.  But na Awo I wan chop, I don tire for chicken.

switpea:

@ b444, u make sense babe. For me, there r a million & one ways of solving problems and going to see a babalawo should not be any of the ways! Most of this issues that people go to see this babalawos for can always be solved with logical reasoning and dialog or being purely creative. The depiction of diabolical means to get answers r quite unintelligent! This is the 21st century for Heaven's sake. we should seek better ways of resolving issues.

How intelligent is going to church to pray for a better job when you are not qualified to do a better job?  Wouldn't it be more intelligent to go back to school?
How intelligent is going to church to pray for husband (or pray that God should save your marriage) when your character is ugly as sin. Wouldn't it be more advisable to learn how to be more diplomatic in dealing with people, how to make concessions, how to be more respectful?

THe point that I'm trying to make is that everything said about traditional religion being unintelligent can be applied by atheists to christianity too. 
90 percent (from the pastor aio statistical survey of invention and fabrication) of the problems blamed on witches have their obvious cause in the attitude of the 'victim'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Rosicrucian Order And Its Multiple Lies / Benny Hinn In Lagos! (Videos) / YouTube Needs Prayers – Prophet TB Joshua (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.