Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,614 members, 7,770,633 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:18 PM

Question Needing Answer 1sam 16:23 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Question Needing Answer 1sam 16:23 (1268 Views)

Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. / Psalm 23 In Pidgin English / Alone And Needing Someone To Talk To Who Listens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question Needing Answer 1sam 16:23 by Donshegxy10(m): 12:19am On Dec 12, 2012
In 1 sam 16 :23, the bible says an evil spirit from the lord come upon saul, in context of what was written in james 1:13-18 how is this possible. . .
Re: Question Needing Answer 1sam 16:23 by Image123(m): 9:38am On Dec 13, 2012
Re: Question Needing Answer 1sam 16:23 by Image123(m): 9:08pm On Dec 18, 2012
any takers?
Re: Question Needing Answer 1sam 16:23 by advocate666: 9:17am On Dec 19, 2012
I have always maintained that yahweh is evil, if evil is what you understand it to be. Even the bible confirms it in many passages. Ask Obadiah777.
Re: Question Needing Answer 1sam 16:23 by ijawkid(m): 9:49am On Dec 19, 2012
This verse had been discussed before on this forum..........
Let me go find the link......
Re: Question Needing Answer 1sam 16:23 by ijawkid(m): 9:56am On Dec 19, 2012
Let me give it a shot.....

Yahwehs holy spirit left saul due to his disobedience and so an evil spirit was what enveloped saul....

When the holy spirit leaves a person,the spirit of the world(evil spirit) comes to fill up that vacuum.....

So it is either one is filled with the holy spirit or filled with an evil spirit.....

Removal of the holy spirit =filled with evil spirit....

grin.......

1 Like

Re: Question Needing Answer 1sam 16:23 by Image123(m): 10:45pm On Dec 20, 2012
I'll try to be back here, interesting.
Re: Question Needing Answer 1sam 16:23 by OmoAlata(f): 11:47pm On Dec 20, 2012
Donshegxy_10: In 1 sam 16 :23, the bible says an evil spirit from the lord come upon saul, in context of what was written in james 1:13-18 how is this possible. . .

Found this on the net

When God removes His protective hand, he often turns the person over to Satan for destruction or to an evil spirit for torment. The devil and the evil spirits do the work, but God has allowed them to do what come natural to them for His own purpose. I know that some will have trouble with this concept, but it is thoroughly established in scripture. God does not commit wickedness, but He uses the wicked for His purpose. In the end, God will have His glory.
Re: Question Needing Answer 1sam 16:23 by tpia5: 11:59pm On Dec 20, 2012
1 sam 16:14

Now the Spirit of the Lord had departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord tormented him.

James 1 :13-18

13 When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone;

14 but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed.

15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

16 Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters.

17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

18 He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.

what's the contradiction between the two? I dont see any.

the first is talking about saul's consequences of his constant disobedience, while the second is referring to being tempted.
Re: Question Needing Answer 1sam 16:23 by Psalhadeen: 6:45am On Dec 21, 2012
King Saul of ancient lsrael was a star whose glory or strength worked along with his doom or weakling.He went to war against all the surrounding kingdoms and got victory over them all.'Cos his glory or strength was God given.His disobedience or witchcraft spirit ruined him;he failed the mighty man of lsrael whose name is YAHWEH;Saul betrayed his soul,his perfection left him immediately he disobeyed n weaklings set in.A man that was very invicible be4 became defiled.AND WAS RULED AND DESTROYED BY THE SPIRIT OF DOOM.
Re: Question Needing Answer 1sam 16:23 by Image123(m): 8:51pm On Dec 27, 2012
1Sa 16:23 And it came to pass, when the evil spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took a harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him.
Jam 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
Jam 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Jam 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
Jam 1:16 Do not err, my beloved brethren.
Jam 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
Jam 1:18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

@OP.
The James passage talks about been tempted/tested by God. God tests us for our good, for our promotion, for our strengthening. Satan tests us to make us fall. the aim/motive is the big issue and thin line between life and death here. An exam is not designed for you to fail or to repeat, or to have carry over. It is designed to confer you with a degree, a certificate, an award, a promotion. But satan doesn't test us to promote us, he tests us so that we can fall. The 1Samuel passage is not a test, it is a result of King Saul's loss of the anointing from God's Spirit. When you lose God's Spirit, it opens up room for other spirits. that the passage refers it as "from God" is indication that God permitted it, knew about it. Nothing important escapes His attention. No evil spirit, evil thing, sickness etc can happen to or jump on a child of God without His knowledge.
Re: Question Needing Answer 1sam 16:23 by Donshegxy10(m): 4:46pm On Jan 21, 2017

(1) (Reply)

The Tree Of Science / Leggings,is it right for a chhristain lady to wear it / Reasons Why Hell Does Not Exist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.