Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,250 members, 7,825,980 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:40 AM

Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. (11548 Views)

Let's Discuss About Indecent Dressing To Church / Download Psalm 23(the Lord Is My Shepherd) As A Song On Your Pc Or Mobile Phone / Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo Speaks On T.b Joshua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Image123(m): 10:41pm On Sep 28, 2013
There has been many misconceptions and contradictions about Matthew 23. i think we will do well to visit the chapter, meditate on it, pray on it, and ask God to explain His Words to us. Matthew 23 contains 39 verses, 38 verses there are direct words of Jesus. i implore us all to not just come to this thread to scorn, or mock, or try to catch folks in their words. But to aim at edification and understanding and growing more to be like Jesus. Please, contribute.
Luk 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the Scriptures,
Eph 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints.

Sorry, i'm going to go LONG. i will break it and make it short where i can, thanks.

Mat 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
This first verse is important, as it states who the audience are. The audience are the MULTITUDE and His DISCIPLES. We will later find out however that pharisees were also among the multitude. This is not strange.
Luk 19:39 And some of the Pharisees from among the multitude said unto him, Master, rebuke thy disciples.
What Jesus was about to say here is on a backdrop of past events, especially considering the previous chapter Matthew 22. The Sadducees had come and had Jesus questions to which He brilliantly responded. Then, the Pharisees came to try their luck, Jesus also answered them brilliantly. Then He did something unusual, He asked the pharisees a question, and they were not able to answer. It was so shameful that the Bible records that they NEVER asked Jesus questions again from that day.
Mat 22:41 While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them,
Mat 22:46 And no man was able to answer him a word, neither durst any man from that day forth ask him any more questions.

It was in the light of these that Jesus reminded everyone stating,

Mat 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
Mat 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. The people were not to lose sight of this fact. They were not to be disrespected or disregarded. Yeah, they had their imperfections and corruptions, but the fact remained that they were still the authority. God wants His children, everyone, to be subject to authority.
Rom 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
1Pe 2:13 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;

Moses'seat refers to the seat of authority, of the law. They were the legislators. All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do. The word "therefore" is the operative word in this phrase. If Jesus had said " All whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do", it will have a different meaning from saying " All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do". The THEREFORE is there for them to note that observing and doing is premised on Moses'seat. What they are bidding you to observe and do has to rest on the law. It was not just a blind command to do whatsoever the pharisees bid. Even Jesus Himself did not do whatsoever the pharisees bid. See for instance,
Luk 19:39 And some of the Pharisees from among the multitude said unto him, Master, rebuke thy disciples.
Jesus did not rebuke His disciples. In fact He told His disciples to beware of the pharisees.
Mat 16:6 Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.
Mat 16:12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

It would be inconsistent and contradictory of Jesus to say that we(disciples and multitudes) should beware of the doctrine of the pharisees, and then say we should do all whatsoever they bid. We need to read with understanding, else we miss the meaning. We are to do all THEREFORE whatsoever. It's like when Jesus says " Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee". We seek to understand what is meant, instead of dogmatically insisting on amputation. Why, because amputation will contradict what Jesus was actually driving at and the way the hearers understood it. Jesus' hearers understood Him, they didn't do all whatsoever the pharisees said.
Act 5:28 Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.
Act 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

But they respected them, and regarded them as authority. They wrote about them and referred to them as elders. imagine referring to your persecutors and murderers as elders and rulers.
Act 4:5 And it came to pass on the morrow, that their rulers, and elders, and scribes,
Act 4:8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel,

Even a Peter filled with Holy Ghost knew that the pharisees were elders of Israel. All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do. The apostles knew what this meant, and they graciously complied even after the ascension. Hear Paul,
Act 23:5 Then said Paul, I wist not, brethren, that he was the high priest: for it is written, Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people.
This applies to us all today too. We are to respect and regard authority, whether in secular government or office or in the society. Traditional rulers, institutional heads, irrespective of their ignorance and sin. We honour them and obey them, and submit to them where applicable. But of course, we obey God rather than men where there is a contrast.
We should not forget or neglect the later part of the verse. It says "but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not." Don't do after their works BECAUSE they say and do not. Its same today and in all of the New Testament. The Old Testament way was commonly about saying. Every one came with his Thus saith the Lord. They had many things to say, but did little. The new Testament life is a say and do life. It is a follow me as i follow Christ life. We should not be people who say and do not. Do ye not after their works. What are their works? They say and do not. That style is not new testament. We are not to be listening to people who say to do as they say and not as they do.
Heb 6:12 That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.
Heb 13:7 Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.
Heb 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever.

This passage says the same thing in other words. There are those that have rule over us. We have church leaders and elders and pastors. We are to follow their life, imitate them(in some translations). We do not imitate blindly though, we CONSIDER their end/goal/outcome/direction, Jesus Christ being the same forever. If they are deviating from the Word, do not follow them.

2 Likes

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Image123(m): 10:44pm On Sep 28, 2013
Mat 23:4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
The Words of Jesus are Spirit and Life. Even if Jesus is talking to a stick, we've all got to listen up. He is the Head of the church. A member of the church should not say that the Words of Jesus are an insult to the Body of Christ. Jesus is the greater than the temple. There is no portion of scripture that states or suggests that some of the words of Jesus are irrelevant. Jesus is the eternal Truth who has the Spirit of God without measure.
Luk 9:26 For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels.
Joh 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
Joh 12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

God in His omniscient knowledge of the past, present and future, gave Jesus the Words that He spake. It will border on folly for any christian anywhere(no matter the anointing or revelation) to throw away a whole chapter that Jesus spake in the excuse that Jesus is not speaking to the church. When the same Jesus said to a pharisee, Nicodemus "Ye must be born again", or to some pharisees to "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's", do we say Jesus is addressing Pharisees not us? His words are for every all.
Do not ye after their works, why? For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. i see folks here on NL who are telling others how to give tithes but who themselves will never give tithes. This is hypocritical, or should we say pharisaic. There are preachers who preach what they do not do or practice, this is not in compliance with the new testament or with Christ.

Mat 23:5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,
Anyone who is doing eye service courts Christ's displeasure. It's not just pharisees or scribes. If a Sadducee does it for instance, its the same thing, God is not impressed. The Sadducee cannot just wave his hand and say Jesus is addressing scribes and pharisees. The pharisees primary aim was to be seen of men. They coveted the honour of men. Their good works and piety were done to impress. This is wrong even for a christian, not just for pharisees.

Mat 23:6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,
Mat 23:7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.
The scribes and pharisees loved attention, the glamour, the uppermost, the chiefest. It is not wrong to be exalted, but it is wrong for one to exalt one's self. (Luk 14:11 For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.)
This is true for everyone, not just a pharisee or scribe. Christians are not to want to have the preeminence.(3Jo 1:9 I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not.)
The pharisees loved titles, to be called Rabbi, Rabbi. No christian should love or covet such.

1 Like

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Image123(m): 10:45pm On Sep 28, 2013
Mat 23:8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
Rabbi simply means Master. notice how Jesus used the word interchangeably. Or better still,
Joh 1:38 Then Jesus turned, and saw them following, and saith unto them, What seek ye? They said unto him, Rabbi, (which is to say, being interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou?
Master is a boss, chief, teacher, ruler. In other words, But be not ye called boss: for one is your Oga, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. A direct and bigoted rendering of that verse sends EVERY MAN into error. One needs to see how the disciples and Jesus Himself understood this and lived this. Every boy has a prefix "master" to his name. Every Oga, CEO, boss is a master.
What Jesus is saying is Don't seek to be called Master. Don't covet it, don't love it or hope for it. It could be Chief, or Dr, or Prof. Carnal people love titles. It could even be Bishop. Some people will get offended if they are not addressed with a title. We should respect people and address them by their titles Mr, or Pastor, or Dr or Chief, or Senator, or Gov, PhD etc but the owner of the title(if a christian) should be humble and not carried away by title. i heard of lecturers who can fail their students who mistakenly addressed them as Dr instead of Prof. This should not be of a christian. Christians were called master in the Bible BTW. It shows that what Jesus was talking of is not just the calling but the heart and love for it.
Col 4:1 Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal; knowing that ye also have a Master in heaven.
1Pe 2:18 Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.

Jesus often spoke in a way that requires meditation and dependence on God for understanding. The intelligent fellows of the day often misunderstood Him, and so remained.
Mar 4:34 But without a parable spake he not unto them: and when they were alone, he expounded all things to his disciples.

Mat 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
This has still got to do with the coveting of titles. A literal rendering again puts everyone guilty, because we all have fathers. He says to call NO MAN. NO MAN means no man, doesn't it? If he had said, call no man, except your biological father of course, we would say, okay he means don't call friends and relatives father. But Jesus is not in a social studies seminar or training. He is talking deep things, not superficial things. His example and that of His disciples show us that He was not just giving a ban on calling people a particular name. He called people fathers. his disciples also called men fathers. We do not know more than them, or understand Jesus more than them. Further down this chapter, Jesus goes on to call men father. This shows a contradiction of a narrow literal rendering of verse 9.
Mat 23:32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.
Your fathers here is actually referring to the Israelite ancestors, not just their biological father. Below are some other instances where men were called fathers by Jesus and His disciples.
Luk 11:11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
Joh 19:27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.
1Ti 5:1 Rebuke not an elder, but entreat him as a father; and the younger men as brethren;
1Th 2:11 As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children,
Rom 4:1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?
Rom 4:16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,
Eph 6:2 Honor thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;
Heb 12:9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

Obviously, all these fathers above are different from the for one is your Father, which is in heaven. We should not worship human beings but respect them. And we should be ready to obey God rather than them.

Mat 23:10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.
Won't flog it too much, its same as verse 8. Anyone that did not get it in verse 8 will probably not get what i might add here too. All these verses apply to every one on earth. The pharisees for instance cannot say it is the disciples and multitudes being addressed, therefore it does not apply to them. Everybody has what to pick from what the Master of the Universe is saying. This should be basic kindergaten. Its like if a kid is being punished in a class, of course the other kids should know that the teacher is talking to all of them, and that they are not to do the things that the kid being punished is rebuked for. Its an unwise kid that will say "I'm the teacher's fav. What he is telling that stubborn boy does not apply to me." A wise kid will note that if he does the same thing, he will also be punished. You don't have to be punished to learn. You can see how a criminal is treated, and learn never to steal or fight. You don't say, the punishment is for criminals, i'm a good citizen and do not need to pay attention.

1 Like

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Image123(m): 10:47pm On Sep 28, 2013
Mat 23:11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.
Mat 23:12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.
This is New Testament principle. i've heard folks say that Matthew 23 is Jesus talking under the law. They do not believe that Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever. What He commends today, He will commend tomorrow, and forever. Whosoever exalts himself will be abased. God resists the proud. Let God lift you up.
Rom 12:10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honor preferring one another;
Everyone in the house of God is a servant, though child of God. Being a servant is simply someone who serves. People think being a servant is poverty, that if you are rich you are not a servant. Being a servant is about service, not about bank accounts. The greatest can be a servant. Is verse 12 talking to one particular group of people? No, it is to all, it applies to all.

Mat 23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.
Jesus is the Judge of the whole earth.
Joh 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
Not WILL but HAS, the Father HAS committed all judgment unto the Son. As Judge, He has all knowledge, has the Help of the Holy Ghost, and the leading of the Omniscient God to be able to declare judgement. When He says Woe, He knows what it means. He declares Woe on the scribes and pharisees. We cannot declare woe on others because we are not to judge or condemn. God has committed judgement to Jesus Christ. Why does He declare Woe on the scribes and pharisees? Because they are hypocrites, and because ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in. If a Sadducee does the same thing, woe betides him from the Lord. If a christian does the same thing, woe awaits him/her from the Lord. The Lord is not a respecter of persons.
Act 10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
Mat 22:16 And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any man: for thou regardest not the person of men.
Col 3:25 But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done; and there is no respect of persons.
1Pe 1:17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

The pharisees shut up the kingdom of heaven against men! One would think, is that even possible? What of God drawing who He feels like and all that? But Jesus said that the pharisees shut up the kingdom of heaven against men. They do not allow those that are willing to go in to go in. The kingdom of God is righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Ghost. There are folks who have decided to make people lose the peace of God because of one doctrine or the other. There are folks whose aim in life is to unsettle unwary church members. There are fellows, even here on NL who do not claim to be righteous, do not behave righteous, but are ready and even have success in destroying relationships of people with church. They do not have a church or pastor to give you, but they want you to distrust your pastor and your church and your members. Their joy is made complete when others begin to suspect their church leadership and members. There will be surprises in heaven.

Mat 23:14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.
There is woe for every hypocrite and wicked person. Whether you claim washed by the blood of Jesus or not. Anyone who devours widows'houses or is a pretender, is going to be a recipient of woe. It is not only scribes and pharisees. Paul was a pharisee, but he escaped woe.
Act 23:6 But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.
Some people are not pharisees, but they are courting woe.

Mat 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
Woe belongs to every hypocrite in every city and nation. Not just scribes and pharisees. Anyone that does the same acts, be you Herodian, Sadducee, Yoruba or Igbo, there is woe aplenty.
Making disciples or proselytes or converts is not a monopoly of true christianity. Anything can be well argued. If you're so unlucky, you might meet someone to convince you to become a terrorist, or an atheist, or an agnostic. The human mind can be convinced to do good or bad. That you convince people of something is not necessarily a mark that God approves. It only shows that your marketing skill is beginning to pay off. We need to be very careful of what we are convincing people of. The pharisees could never have thought, or even agreed that they were making people children of hell. They had scripture passages for many of their actions, even. Be careful what you convince people of. There is nothing has sure as Jesus and Jesus only. He is the message we are really sent to preach. How shall they preach except they be sent. We are sent to preach Jesus. Let us preach Jesus above anything else. Only Jesus can save.
Act 8:5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them.
Act 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
Act 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same Scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
Act 9:20 And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God.

1 Like

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by MEILYN(m): 10:51pm On Sep 28, 2013
okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Nice one.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 2:49am On Sep 29, 2013
We will do the simple and short exposition along side one another. I will NOT be long in this one.

Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples - Matthew 23:1

The Bible is not speaking in tongues here. The 'teachings' of Jesus always have 'specific' audience. Here, Jesus 'specifically' speaking to MULTITUDES and DISCIPLES. We can't beat around with this verse. It says what it means and it means what it says. There are many scriptures where it will specifically say, Jesus opened his mouth and TAUGHT his disciples saying. At other times, it will say, Jesus spoke the PARABLE unto HIS DISCIPLES. So, we understand Christ was TEACHING his disciples at THAT POINT IN TIME.

4 Likes

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 2:50am On Sep 29, 2013
Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: Matthew 23:2

The verse 2 follow up to verse 1 on what Christ SAID TO THE MULTITUDE AND TO HIS DISCIPLES. Christ is about to start a 'teaching', so to say or an 'instruction'. To who? The multitudes and to his disciples. Disciples are simple followers of Christ. Therefore, at this very time Christ spoke to his disciples, the 12 primarily but by extension, we can say, it extended to Christians because we, Christians are followers of Christ.

Now, Christ brought in the scribes and the Pharisees. Who are the scribes and who are the Pharisees?

The scribes are those learned in the Mosaic law and in the sacred writings, an interpreter, teacher. Scribes examined the more difficult and subtle questions of the law; they added to the Mosaic law decisions of various kinds thought to elucidate its meaning and scope, and did this to the detriment of religion. Since the advice of men skilled in the law was needed in the examination in the causes and the solution of the difficult questions, they were enrolled in the Sanhedrin; and are mentioned in connection with the priests and elders of the people. They are religious teacher of the Mosaic law: so instructed that, from his learning and ability to teach advantage may redound to the kingdom of heaven

The Pharisees are sect that seems to have started after the Jewish exile. In addition to OT books the Pharisees recognized in oral tradition a standard of belief and life. They sought for distinction and praise by outward observance of external rites and by outward forms of piety, and such as ceremonial washings, fasting, prayers, and alms giving; and, comparatively negligent of genuine piety, they prided themselves on their fancied good works. They held strenuously to a belief in the existence of good and evil angels, and to the expectation of a Messiah; and they cherished the hope that the dead, after a preliminary experience either of reward or of penalty in Hades, would be recalled to life by him, and be requited each according to his individual deeds. In opposition to the usurped dominion of the Herods and the rule of the Romans, they stoutly upheld the theocracy and their country's cause, and possessed great influence with the common people. According to Josephus they numbered more than 6000. They were bitter enemies of Jesus and his cause; and were in turn severely rebuked by him for their avarice, ambition, hollow reliance on outward works, and affection of piety in order to gain popularity.

2 Likes

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 2:51am On Sep 29, 2013
All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not. Matthew 23:3

We still follow the 'context'. Up to this verse 3, Jesus was still TALKING to the MULTITUDES and HIS DISCIPLES. In verse 2, Christ brought in the mention of scribes and Pharisees to 'give instructions' to THE MULTITUDES and HIS DISCIPLES about the scribes and pharisees. Hence, he brought in the mention of scribes and pharisees in verse 2.

Verse 3 established what Christ was saying to MULTITUDES and DISCIPLES about scribes\pharisees for mentioning them in verse 2. Christ in verse 3 was saying to the MULTITUDES and DISCIPLES that "EVERYTHING" the scribes and pharisees tells you (multitudes and Christ's disciple) to observe and do.

In scriptural interpretation, there's always the other side of a teaching or an instruction(s). This other side is usually emphasized by the word "BUT". When we read "BUT" in scriptures, it means, flip to the other side. Christ specifically told the multitudes and his disciples "BUT do NOT do after their WORKS. . ."

What are the WORKS of the scribes and pharisees that Christ will tell multitudes and his disciple to observe other things the scribes\pharisee says by the position of their authority BUT they (multitudes and disciples) should NOT DO AFTER THEIR WORKS. The word 'works' is the Greek word ergon and it means: business, employment, that which any one is occupied; that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking. Any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind. An act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasized in opp. to that which is less than work. It denotes the rituals in the Mosaic law in the outward forms in order to gain popularity and take advantage - refer to who the scribes and pharisees are above.. Please, take note of this other side of Christ's instruction to the multitudes & disciples - 1, All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; 2, but do not ye after their works.

2 Likes

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 2:52am On Sep 29, 2013
For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,

And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,

And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.

Matthew 23:4-7

Jesus began to mention the 'some' of WORKS of the these scribes\pharisees. In verse 4, it was, the scribes and pharisees bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers BUT you, MULTITUDES and DISCIPLES DO NOT DO AFTER THEIR WORKS, (verse 3) that is, DO NOT bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; while you yourself will not move them with one of their fingers.

In verse 5, Jesus repeated the word "WORKS" to follow his instruction in verse 3 - DO NOT DO AFTER THE WORKS of the scribes and Pharisees. We follow through on these instructions up till verse 7. That was a corrective instructions of the works of the scribes and pharisees to the multitudes and his disciples.

2 Likes

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 2:53am On Sep 29, 2013
But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

Matthew 23:8-12

Jesus uses this opportunity to teach or instruct on equality, humility, servanthood\servitude and mis-placed authority, still TO THE DISCIPLES AND MULTITUDES.

2 Likes

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 2:57am On Sep 29, 2013
13. But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

Again, we return to the BUT in the scripture. Christ had been instructing the multitudes and his disciples from verse 1 - 12. Now, Christ faces or confronts the scribes and pharisees and the scripture flipped the other side of Christ's audience by saying BUT unto you, SCRIBES & PHARISEES. In the midst of the crowd\audience, Christ now address another group - scribes and pharisees BUT unto the disciples, from verse 1-12. It is destructive to the context to take what was said to the DISCIPLES and MULTITUDES and apply it to the SCRIBES and PHARISEES. In the same context, we cannot take what say said (WOE and HYPOCRITES) to the scribes and pharisees and apply to the MULTITUDES and DISCIPLES because they fall into different groups in the audience.

Both WOE and HYPOCRITES are degenerating words - Believers are not degenerated in Christ but regenerated and elevated. Hypocrites portrays the satanic and devilish nature because it means one who answers, an interpreter, an actor, stage player, a dissembler and pretender while woe is a cursing word that denotes grief and sorrows throughout one's existence.

So, we follow through in what Christ said to the multitudes and disciples and said BUT DO NOT DO AFTER THEIR WORKS. In verse 3 where Christ began to mention 'some' of the WORKS of these scribes and pharisees BUT told his disciples\multitudes NOT TO DO AFTER SUCH WORKS. In verse 13 here, the scribes\pharisees DO WORKS that is, they shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in. BUT you, multitudes and disciples, DO NOT DO AFTER SUCH WORKS, that is, DO NOT shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

We follow this precept till verse 22. I will fast forward to verse 23.

2 Likes

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 3:50am On Sep 29, 2013
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. Matthew 23:23

As we follow through on the precept of what was said to the multitudes and disciples as against with the use of "BUT" and mentioning of scribes and pharisees. To the multitudes and disciples, Christ said, DO NOT DO AFTER THE WORKS of the scribes and pharisees and Christ mentioned THESE WORKS in every WOE and HYPOCRITES pronounced on the scribes and pharisees. This precept continues to verse 23 and further.

In this controversial verse 23, the WORKS of the scribes and pharisees is that THEY PAY TITHE OF MINT, ANISE AND CUMMIN and OMITTED the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy and faith.

1. This verse does not say it was the MULTITUDES and disciples THAT PAY TITHE OF MINT, ANISE AND CUMMIN, it was the scribes and pharisees.

2. It was also the scribes and pharisees that omitted the weightier matter of the law, not the disciples and multitudes.

3. If we follow the precept of what Christ said to the disciples and multitudes NOT TO DO AFTER THE WORKS of scribes and pharisees, it will ONLY mean Christ was telling the disciples and multitudes INDIRECTLY NOT TO PAY TITHE OF MINT, ANISE AND CUMMIN and omit the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy and faith. What do we see today, religious leaders like the scribes and pharisee lay emphasis on tithe every where and even curse with curse on Christians and threaten devourer to devour those that Christ died for, insulting the blood of Christ as if it is the blood of goats, bulls and cows and omit importance things.

4. If you interchange what was said to one group as against the other. The context is destroyed!!! This is what I mean. If we take what woes and hypocrites pronounced on the scribes and pharisees to the multitudes\disciples; we will have destructive text. For instance, take what was said to the disciples\multitudes and apply to scribes and pharisees and vice versa and see how it reads thus:

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, MULTITUDES AND CHRIST DISCIPLES hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. Matthew 23:23.

TAKE WHAT WAS SAID TO THE DISCIPLES AND MULTITUDES AND APPLY IT TO SCRIBES AND PHARISEES, it will read thus:

Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples SCRIBES AND PHARISEES saying, The scribes and the Pharisees DISCIPLES AND MULTITUDES sit in Moses' seat. All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

How does that read to us? The whole context is destroyed. We must follow the contextual targeted group in audience.

5. Tithe as mentioned here is still and remained a 'matter of the law' - it is crops and animals according to the law. Christians do not follow most laws of Moses, while do religious leaders ONLY hold unto the tithe. Christians are not under the Mosaic law but under Christ's law of the Spirit. If we must pick tithe alone out of the Moses law, then we must pick other laws too, stoning people to death, stoning rebellious kids to death, women in period time will not come to worship gathering, men must not shave, we must not eat pork, we must worship on Saturday as sabbath etc. The Law was our guardian UNTIL Christ should come, AFTER Christ had come to do the finished works, scripture says WE NO LONGER NEED THE LAW, tithe inclusive plus other regulations.

6. Tithe teachers will further say tithe predated the law. Are Abraham's tithe items same thing as crops and animals of the law tithe items? Why then do you threaten Christians with curse and devourer for not tithing if you following Abraham's tithing example? Did Melchizedek threaten Abraham with curse and devourer before Abraham gave the tithe of spoils from war? The Law tithe was what was produced in Israel, Did Abraham produced the spoils of war? Did Abraham tithe from his personal income? Religious leaders like the scribes and pharisees say tithe SO THAT GOD CAN OPEN THE WINDOWS OF HEAVEN AND POUR YOU BLESSINGS, or curse with a curse. Did Abraham tithe TO OPEN HEAVEN? He was already rich before the act of tithe. Religious leaders of our days make tithe a condition for God's blessings according to Malachi, Abraham's tithe was not a condition for his blessings and no threat of curse and devourer. Abraham's tithe was an example of free giving because scripture says he GAVE. When did Abraham's tithe BECAME A LAW for Christians to follow? If you say we are Abraham's children by faith, then it means we are not to pay tithe because Abraham's children PAID tithe in Abraham ALREADY when he met Melchizedek. Hebrews 7:9-10.

I will continue and follow after your (Image123) exposition.

4 Likes

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 4:21am On Sep 29, 2013
LOL!

goshen you are NOT playing around grin

3 Likes

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 4:24am On Sep 29, 2013
*Kails*:
LOL!

goshen you are NOT playing around grin

No playing mehn, I, alone will chase a thousand. If one more person join me, both of us shall chase 10 thousand. We must chase all these tithe merchants out of business.

7 Likes

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 6:10am On Sep 29, 2013
Goshen360:

No playing mehn, I, alone will chase a thousand. If one more person join me, both of us shall chase 10 thousand. We must chase all these tithe merchants out of business.
Question? Do you conduct child dedication in your church which is not found in NT but the mosaic laws? YES OR NO?
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Candour(m): 8:04am On Sep 29, 2013
On our tithe discussions on this forum, my brethren image, Bidam, Alwaystrue, idnoble, joagbaje and others have severally said we follow Abram's example and not Mosaic Tithe. Hence we should pay tithe, not because of devourer, but because we are children of Abram.

I want to hear what they have to say about these curses from 'Daddy G.O'.

No matter how pro tithe brethren deny it, the fuel for the tithe doctrine comes from the curses of devourer in Mal 3:8-12. Adeboye just confirmed it. All these Abram's example is just a smokescreen.

But I have news for them

Gal 3:13-14
'Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: 14. That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith

For those who want to remain under a curse from which Christ has set us free, they can go ahead. As for me I choose the free gift of the Spirit and I'll continue to preach and scream same.

Thank God for his mercies.

2 Likes

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by christemmbassey(m): 8:07am On Sep 29, 2013
Bidam: Question? Do you conduct child dedication in your church which is not found in NT but the mosaic laws? YES OR NO?
child dedication is NOT A CHRISTIAN PRACTICE, d fraudstars who collect tithe uses it as another tool to steal from ppl. WE DON'T DO CHILD DEDICATION IN OUR CHURCH.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Enigma(m): 8:12am On Sep 29, 2013
I think we should put that Adeboye's cursing "message" on Ihedinobi's thread.

I'll get on the case!

smiley
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 8:25am On Sep 29, 2013
christemmbassey: child dedication is NOT A CHRISTIAN PRACTICE, d fraudstars who collect tithe uses it as another tool to steal from ppl. WE DON'T DO CHILD DEDICATION IN OUR CHURCH.
Then it's better not to conduct marriage in your social club.I won't call yours a church anyway cheesy
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by christemmbassey(m): 8:27am On Sep 29, 2013
Goshen360: 13. But woe unto you,BIDAM, IMAGE123 and ALWAYSTRUE, JOAGBGJE, and OLA hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

Again, we return to the BUT in the scripture. Christ had been instructing the multitudes and his disciples from verse 1 - 12. Now, Christ faces or confronts the scribes and pharisees and the scripture flipped the other side of Christ's audience by saying BUT unto you, SCRIBES & PHARISEES. In the midst of the crowd\audience, Christ now address another group - scribes and pharisees BUT unto the disciples, from verse 1-12. It is destructive to the context to take what was said to the DISCIPLES and MULTITUDES and apply it to the SCRIBES and PHARISEES. In the same context, we cannot take what say said (WOE and HYPOCRITES) to the scribes and pharisees and apply to the MULTITUDES and DISCIPLES because they fall into different groups in the audience.

Both WOE and HYPOCRITES are degenerating words - Believers are not degenerated in Christ but regenerated and elevated. Hypocrites portrays the satanic and devilish nature because it means one who answers, an interpreter, an actor, stage player, a dissembler and pretender while woe is a cursing word that denotes grief and sorrows throughout one's existence.

So, we follow through in what Christ said to the multitudes and disciples and said BUT DO NOT DO AFTER THEIR WORKS. In verse 3 where Christ began to mention 'some' of the WORKS of these scribes and pharisees BUT told his disciples\multitudes NOT TO DO AFTER SUCH WORKS. In verse 13 here, the scribes\pharisees DO WORKS that is, they shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in. BUT you, multitudes and disciples, DO NOT DO AFTER SUCH WORKS, that is, DO NOT shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

We follow this precept till verse 22. I will fast forward to verse 23.
pls always use this edition, its easier to undastand.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by christemmbassey(m): 8:39am On Sep 29, 2013
Bidam: Then it's better not to conduct marriage in your social club.I won't call yours a church anyway cheesy
if i handle u now, u go say, u r nt ma bros, Bidan, b careful o, so na tithe collection qualifies a christian gathering as a churbh? When did acceptance of freedom bcome a crime, must i commit fraud to b accepted by u?
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by christemmbassey(m): 9:05am On Sep 29, 2013
Goshen360:

so na hia them come hid? This tithe bh una no dey tire, y must u ppl continue to insist on this fraud? U ppl complained of too much anti-tithe thread, but sneak arround at night to spawn tithe fraud all over Nl, d harder u come, d harder u fall. Kudos to my beloved bros Goshen, Candour, Enigma for combing these fraudstars out of dia hideouts.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by christemmbassey(m): 9:06am On Sep 29, 2013
Goshen360:

Jesus used whip to chase their ancestors, but we must use both whip and d sword/misile(of d spirit) thanks for ur response to d sneaky OP, we know, he wanted to make Mat23:23 command tithe fraud, but u killed it, good job. God bless.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by sagytariusTM1: 10:18am On Sep 29, 2013
Yes! She don gree my Own! E good to go church o○○°°○o. cheesy
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by AreaFada2: 10:23am On Sep 29, 2013
Nice one.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 10:32am On Sep 29, 2013
To this thread pls, an interesting discussion already goes on here: https://www.nairaland.com/1456343/tithes-offerings-eternal-principles
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by ifebosco: 10:34am On Sep 29, 2013
i have to open my church in nigeria
too many fools in that country

1 Like

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:49am On Sep 29, 2013
Exactly how is a market woman who cannot read or write supposed to understand this?
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by MostHigh: 11:04am On Sep 29, 2013
Goshen360: Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: Matthew 23:2

The verse 2 follow up to verse 1 on what Christ SAID TO THE MULTITUDE AND TO HIS DISCIPLES. Christ is about to start a 'teaching', so to say or an 'instruction'. To who? The multitudes and to his disciples. Disciples are simple followers of Christ. Therefore, at this very time Christ spoke to his disciples, the 12 primarily but by extension, we can say, it extended to Christians because we, Christians are followers of Christ.

Now, Christ brought in the scribes and the Pharisees. Who are the scribes and who are the Pharisees?

The scribes are those learned in the Mosaic law and in the sacred writings, an interpreter, teacher. Scribes examined the more difficult and subtle questions of the law; they added to the Mosaic law decisions of various kinds thought to elucidate its meaning and scope, and did this to the detriment of religion. Since the advice of men skilled in the law was needed in the examination in the causes and the solution of the difficult questions, they were enrolled in the Sanhedrin; and are mentioned in connection with the priests and elders of the people. They are religious teacher of the Mosaic law: so instructed that, from his learning and ability to teach advantage may redound to the kingdom of heaven

The Pharisees are sect that seems to have started after the Jewish exile. In addition to OT books the Pharisees recognized in oral tradition a standard of belief and life. They sought for distinction and praise by outward observance of external rites and by outward forms of piety, and such as ceremonial washings, fasting, prayers, and alms giving; and, comparatively negligent of genuine piety, they prided themselves on their fancied good works. They held strenuously to a belief in the existence of good and evil angels, and to the expectation of a Messiah; and they cherished the hope that the dead, after a preliminary experience either of reward or of penalty in Hades, would be recalled to life by him, and be requited each according to his individual deeds. In opposition to the usurped dominion of the Herods and the rule of the Romans, they stoutly upheld the theocracy and their country's cause, and possessed great influence with the common people. According to Josephus they numbered more than 6000. They were bitter enemies of Jesus and his cause; and were in turn severely rebuked by him for their avarice, ambition, hollow reliance on outward works, and affection of piety in order to gain popularity.

If Christians were all followers of Christ as you imply then they would try to be exactly as the master is. smiley

Or at the least try to emulate his literal life to a T. grin
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by jamace(m): 11:05am On Sep 29, 2013
This tithe issue gained prominence in the pentecostal churches when prosperity preachers like late Idahosa took the centre stage. Since unemployment is hitting hard on the world, becoming pastors is a way out for many. And these pastors saved by the church have made tithe payment the centre of their preaching because that is the only way they (pastors) can enrich themselves and become recognized by the society.

To those who give their sweat to prosperity pastors, know that you are not giving to God. You should be wise. I am really sad to see poor people who can barely afford 3 square meals paying tithe to men of god who have fleet of cars and a jet to cap it up.

Ehen, this reminds me of the current trend in our churches. I have observed with heavy heart that our leaders loot our treasury and donate/ pay tithe to the churches. I know some civil servants working in pension offices and finance departments who usually donate heavily to the church, while pensioners are not paid. Why rob peter to pay paul? The saddest thing is that the pastors don't even question such civil servants who donate heavily for the sources of their income, instead the pastors give them special prayers and make them elders in the church. God, are you seeing this? angry sad
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Alumnus: 11:09am On Sep 29, 2013
I can confidently say that Mal 3:10 is the most quoted verse in the old testament by our pentecostal pastors and one wonders why? For more than 2 years now I have never heard a mention of The Ten Commandment in my church because it is assumed that The New Testament commands takes precedence over the Old testament yet our pastors are hanging onto this singular verse in the Old Testament. There are over 1000 commands in the old Testament, why are our pastors throwing them away but insisting on this verse that benefits them and them alone? Well I have choosen to go the way of the Berean Christians, I shall search the scripture myself and I hope to be considered noble by God at the end
Act 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

If You're Grateful To God For Anything, Please Jump In Here. / Christians Colonized Us In Africa, Undeniable Fact But How? (pics) / 'Corruption Will Not End In Nigeria Till Jesus Comes' - Prophet Abiara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 206
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.