Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,940 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:33 PM

Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria (11101 Views)

Cotonou Car Purchase Issues. / The Most Common Car On Nigerian Roads? / Common Car Terms Misuse, Like BMW Jeep (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by Immune1(m): 7:44am On Dec 12, 2012
Buying a car can be seen as a very important decision which ideally, should require careful fact-finding research based on true individual preferences. But unfortunately, here in Nigeria you hardly find people parting ways with money after having painstakingly gone through the selection process; most are already convinced about which car to buy based on pre-conceived perceptions which are not necessarily based on the traditional method of fact-finding and relying on your empirical results; instead most buyers find themselves in certain ‘traps’ which compel them to act differently.

Hence, if you are an intending to buy any car just yet, make sure you don’t find yourself in the following traps below which most car buyers are victims of.

Safety in the crowd: Japanese cars have become quite popular in Nigeria and have commanded a huge chunk of the passenger car market share against significantly lower patronage of their European and American counterparts. This is however partly due to how economical these cars are to maintain, but this trend can be ultimately hinged on the effectiveness of ‘word of mouth’. Not as if there are no comparatively cheaper to maintain American or European cars, but it’s more like a standard advice in Nigeria to go for a Japanese brand as your first car. People tend to relate more with what happens the most around them and with what people they trust or hold high regards for say or affirm as the ‘right thing’. So if you’ve given up that sleeker car interior for a popularly perceived ‘cheap to maintain’ car, you are right in this trap.

Emotions: Every car designer strives to create cars that go beyond normal levels of physical affinity; most aim higher and try creating emotional connections between countless individuals that might test drive or have a quick feel of these cars. This type of emotional motivation that drives prospective buyers’ hands faster to their pockets is not what I am referring to here; as ‘emotions’ in this particular context plays out when friends or counterparts compete to see who drives the better car or may be in some cases where envy drives people to buy exactly the type of automobile their object of envy drives. The list is quite endless, you find people slaving all year round to drive flashy cars home during Christmas; it’s not hard to imagine why their eventual choice of car falls within the popular cars in that particular village during the previous Christmas season. Basically, when emotions like pride, jealously and hate dictate the type of car you buy; you are right in this trap!

Mechanic’s Safe pick: A memorable encounter with a 1996 Ford Windstar V6 in 2010 was how a simple timing belt swap turned out to be a case study for several mechanics that trooped in and out to try their luck in replacing the belt. With this looming low level of technical knowledge of auto-mechanics, it’s not hard to imagine why most would rather stick with cars they are familiar with, again and over. In this simple case involving the Ford MPV, any of those mechanics subsequently asked for their opinion about V6 engines will concretely label these engines as ‘problematic’ engines or even a problem car as a whole. On that note, if you’ve ever bought any car solely based on what Baba Ade-the mechanic down the street-told you; you are figuratively opposite the cheese with it staring right back at you in this trap.

Initial low price tag: Some cars are just cheaper to buy! But the reality clouding these low prices might be the relatively costlier maintenance or may be limited availability of spare-parts for these cars. Another trap might be buying outwardly nice cars with close to dead tech-vitals like the engine or gearbox.

In conclusion endeavor to take exhaust all possible research options starting from user’s opinions to the internet and base your decisions on facts and true affinity for features your intended buy might posses. Car manufacturers provide several options open for car buyers to chose, hence take advantage of the variety of cars and select the best you can afford.
http://www.autobaseafrica.com/common-car-purchase-traps-in-nigeria/
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by Chynx(m): 8:27am On Dec 12, 2012
Good thread...but not completely on point. In every molecule of rumor, there, resides an atom of truth. Most cars termed "problematic" often fail to surprise us. Same thing goes by the leopard and its spots. smiley

1 Like

Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by pingo(m): 9:34am On Dec 12, 2012
In all, just buy a car!!! 2nd to comment grin
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by Immune1(m): 9:48am On Dec 12, 2012
Chynx: Good thread...but not completely on point. In every molecule of rumor, there, resides an atom of truth. Most cars termed "problematic" often fail to surprise us. Same thing goes by the leopard and its spots. smiley
Certain rumours are ofcourse true,but when you entirely base your purchase decision on such;its either you are just lazy or allowing yourself remain in the trap.
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by Chynx(m): 10:04am On Dec 12, 2012
Immune#1:

Certain rumours are ofcourse true,but when you entirely base your purchase decision on such;its either you are just lazy or allowing yourself remain in the trap.

To this end, u are very correct. I am currently stuck with the Toyota corolla syndrome as we speak. I want to buy a serviceable and everyday car and all fingers seem to point to the Toyota called Corolla. I have used a couple of cars but have'nt bee lucky with durability despite my good maintenance culture. My last two cars were Volvo 460GL and Nissan Altima respectively. sad
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by femionasan(m): 10:15am On Dec 12, 2012
@ OP very interesting and educative post you have here. I tend to not listen to all these mechanics when purchasing a vehicle and that started when i bought a 1990 Mitsubishi Galant back in 2003. I used that vehicle for 5 years without any hassle whatsoever. Presently i use a 2000 Nissan Maxima bought 4years ago, i enjoyed the car no doubt but i fell into the hands of some mechanics that fooled me with their gadgets they didnt know how to use. Anyway i am presently thinking about the 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Sedan. What is your take on this vehicle. I apologise for slightly derailing this thread.
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by divinelove(m): 10:53am On Dec 12, 2012
Bottom line get a car u can maintain, nt just a car u want.
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by Chynx(m): 11:07am On Dec 12, 2012
divinelove: Bottom line get a car u can maintain, nt just a car u want.

Not exactly my dear. There are lots of cars that we can maintain, but due to individual differences; don't exactly want. So I think the hassle comes in when we try to marry affordability with maintenance cost and finally, WANT (which is a key factor here to achieve satisfaction).
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by freakcin: 11:14am On Dec 12, 2012
If you love yourself, go for a Toyota grin

Between, not all Japanese cars are cost effective, if Honda start with you ehn! You go confezz all ur past, present and future sins!!! This one is based on personal experience. Immune, you mentioned "Mechanic’s Safe pick".

Why would you want to buy a car which only few competent hands can work on? It automatically shoots up the maintenance cost, cos u start hearing things like expert charges etc. Some of the parts might equally not be readily available.

As you dey see toyota so. . . e nor dey cough ooooh! na u go begin wish for fault so you can have mechanic experience. . . grin

5 Likes

Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by cecegorz(m): 11:29am On Dec 12, 2012
Until we have ubiquitous standard Garages run by tech-educated hands in major cities, Car purchases will continue to be run by advise from the average uneducated mechs around town, and you know what they will keep advising people on? yeah...the Japanese. It's still the only ones they can fiddle by trial and error and still come up with some crude temporary solutions, only to create a much more bigger problem in the near future.
Those are the ones they can easily 'remove the thermostat', 'change the radiator from single to double cell', 'remove the catalytic converter','add a pink color coolant into a reservoir containing a green one' and tell you that it is better that way!!! shocked
If you want to buy today's car, your best bet is to seek an educated tech's advise, and not from your road-side mechanic, unless off course you want to buy the 1980's model with carburetor engines.

1 Like

Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by Chynx(m): 11:36am On Dec 12, 2012
freakcin: If you love yourself, go for a Toyota grin

Between, not all Japanese cars are cost effective, if Honda start with you ehn! You go confezz all ur past, present and future sins!!! This one is based on personal experience. Immune, you mentioned "Mechanic’s Safe pick".

Why would you want to buy a car which only few competent hands can work on? It automatically shoots up the maintenance cost, cos u start hearing things like expert charges etc. Some of the parts might equally not be readily available.

As you dey see toyota so. . . e nor dey cough ooooh! na u go begin wish for fault so you can have mechanic experience. . . grin

I tend to agree with that paragraph in bold. I currently use a Nissan Altima 2008. The car is cool but has got little or no cheap hands that can attend to it. Most faults set me spending in double digits as I often have to consult Nissan themselves (under duress). So, I think the choice of car has a lot to do with what fares well in your location. As for Nigeria, Toyota is the name to beat. This is not to say that they are d best worldwide...for u cant compare them to benz, bmw and a lot more.
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by Subtext: 11:57am On Dec 12, 2012
I don't think there's anything wrong with names like Honda and Toyota really. People didn't just start recommending them for nothing. They make reasonably good cars. Before it came time to buy my car, I used to 'make mouth' that I'll go for a rare make like those exotic German and Italian brands. When the time really came, no be person tell me to arrange myself. A friend of mine inherited a car that was bought brand new some 4 years earlier from his mom. A volkswagen Polo. Ordinary volks Polo oh!. You need to see issues! Yet no parts. The last time I saw him he was swearing 'never again!' Trust me you are safer with brands with readily available parts and mechanics. Even Americans done ditch 'em oldsmobile and GMs etc. for Toyotas and Hondas, so what you sayin? wink

Anyway, check out this link for a general feel of reviews and complaints per brands http://www.carsurvey.org/

The only point you raised which I readily agree with and which I'm trying, God help me, not to fall into presently, is envy related emotions
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by tivta(m): 12:13pm On Dec 12, 2012
When in rome act like roman...
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by donugapi(m): 12:30pm On Dec 12, 2012
Another thing to look at as well is that, If you're going with the crowd, you need to be ready to deal with the possibility of your parts or even worse, your car getting stolen.
Those cars are high demand cars for criminals and carjackers.
I've personally had experiences of friends that have had their ECU, Side Mirrors, Lamps etc. stolen from these cars and the main culprits are Toyotas and Hondas.

2 Likes

Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by femionasan(m): 12:34pm On Dec 12, 2012
donugapi: Another thing to look at as well is that, If you're going with the crowd, you need to be ready to deal with the possibility of your parts or even worse, your car getting stolen.
I've personally had experiences of friends that have had their ECU, Side Mirrors, Lamps etc. stolen from these cars and the main culprits are Toyotas and Hondas.
GBAM!!! My Maxima was parked right behind a 2004 Camry some weeks ago, that Camry was stripped completely, ECU, Stereo, Mirrors, AC control Unit, everything. My car wasnt touched at all.
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by Subtext: 12:49pm On Dec 12, 2012
donugapi: Another thing to look at as well is that, If you're going with the crowd, you need to be ready to deal with the possibility of your parts or even worse, your car getting stolen.

WoW! thats a great point though...Well its not my portion! grin
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by yuzedo: 12:52pm On Dec 12, 2012
femionasan:
GBAM!!! My Maxima was parked right behind a 2004 Camry some weeks ago, that Camry was stripped completely, ECU, Stereo, Mirrors, AC control Unit, everything. My car wasnt touched at all.
Good Lord! Did you park it overnight? What part of town? Please educate us, make we for no go leave motor where dem go cannibalize am for us. Experienced that once with my previous car, only this time i actually handed the key over unwittingly (new mechanic). They even took the new engine i just fitted. shocked cry Everything went, i'm grateful i didn't fit alloy wheels as originally planned or i wouldn't have been able to tow the car as i eventually did. Thank God for Jesus, i was traumatized but got over it, replaced every stolen part and sold the car. angry
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by pawesome(m): 1:48pm On Dec 12, 2012
Jst bought a golf 4 last 3weeks....decided to change d disk n plate cz it gt burnt n to ma greatest suprise,d disk n plate ws S̶̲̥̅☺ xpensive n veri difficult to get...finaly gt it @ 30k,fixed it n coupled n right nw as am typin dis,d car is stil @ d mechanic.afta changin d disk n plate,d car refused strtin cz f d security n we stil dragin wit it.....
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by princeonx: 1:51pm On Dec 12, 2012
Subtext:

WoW! thats a great point though...Well its not my portion! grin
Who's portion will it be then? Someone that own a bicycle? Lol
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by femionasan(m): 1:58pm On Dec 12, 2012
yuzedo:
Good Lord! Did you park it overnight? What part of town? Please educate us, make we for no go leave motor where dem go cannibalize am for us. Experienced that once with my previous car, only this time i actually handed the key over unwittingly (new mechanic). They even took the new engine i just fitted. shocked cry Everything went, i'm grateful i didn't fit alloy wheels as originally planned or i wouldn't have been able to tow the car as i eventually did. Thank God for Jesus, i was traumatized but got over it, replaced every stolen part and sold the car. angry

It was in the Anthony Village/Mende axis. I usually park my car outside cos of my neighbor and the stress of driving in and out so do numerous people around the area.
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by yuzedo: 2:45pm On Dec 12, 2012
femionasan:

It was in the Anthony Village/Mende axis. I usually park my car outside cos of my neighbor and the stress of driving in and out so do numerous people around the area.
Motherfuclipsrsealed!! That's a nigga's hood yo! shocked
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by femionasan(m): 3:08pm On Dec 12, 2012
yuzedo:
Motherfuclipsrsealed!! That's a nigga's hood yo! shocked

Lmao are you serious, You stay around Anthony?
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by Immune1(m): 4:26pm On Dec 12, 2012
Subtext: I don't think there's anything wrong with names like Honda and Toyota really. People didn't just start recommending them for nothing. They make reasonably good cars. Before it came time to buy my car, I used to 'make mouth' that I'll go for a rare make like those exotic German and Italian brands. When the time really came, no be person tell me to arrange myself. A friend of mine inherited a car that was bought brand new some 4 years earlier from his mom. A volkswagen Polo. Ordinary volks Polo oh!. You need to see issues! Yet no parts. The last time I saw him he was swearing 'never again!' Trust me you are safer with brands with readily available parts and mechanics. Even Americans done ditch 'em oldsmobile and GMs etc. for Toyotas and Hondas, so what you sayin? wink

Anyway, check out this link for a general feel of reviews and complaints per brands http://www.carsurvey.org/

The only point you raised which I readily agree with and which I'm trying, God help me, not to fall into presently, is envy related emotions

Toyota makes the most reliable cars in the world;that fact is quite indisputable-at least for now.But if look deeper you would find out that cost of spare parts generally are just relative.The initial cost of procuring a toyota spare-part might be cheaper than that of a VW but trust me,you can't compare the intervals.You buy a Benz shock and use it for 3years and buy a cheaper Toyota shock and use it for 1yr+(which means you have to change your shock twice).When you calculate the cost of time driving to the mechanics,labour cost and other small inconveniences who becomes the real winner?So like I said its relative,toyota just adopted a better 'low initial cost' strategy!Another example is engine overhauling;how long does an overhauled Toyota engine last when compared to a Benz or VW or even some American products?So I still stand by what I posted;proper research is the key.
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by femionasan(m): 4:45pm On Dec 12, 2012
Immune#1:

Toyota makes the most reliable cars in the world;that fact is quite indisputable-at least for now.But if look deeper you would find out that cost of spare parts generally are just relative.The initial cost of procuring a toyota spare-part might be cheaper than that of a VW but trust me,you can't compare the intervals.You buy a Benz shock and use it for 3years and buy a cheaper Toyota shock and use it for 1yr+(which means you have to change your shock twice).When you calculate the cost of time driving to the mechanics,labour cost and other small inconveniences who becomes the real winner?So like I said its relative,toyota just adopted a better 'low initial cost' strategy!Another example is engine overhauling;how long does an overhauled Toyota engine last when compared to a Benz or VW or even some American products?So I still stand by what I posted;proper research is the key.

Bro you just hit the nail on the head, this is the exact reason i am planning to buy a Mercedes Benz.
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by donugapi(m): 5:32pm On Dec 12, 2012
Subtext: I don't think there's anything wrong with names like Honda and Toyota really. People didn't just start recommending them for nothing. They make reasonably good cars. Before it came time to buy my car, I used to 'make mouth' that I'll go for a rare make like those exotic German and Italian brands. When the time really came, no be person tell me to arrange myself. A friend of mine inherited a car that was bought brand new some 4 years earlier from his mom. A volkswagen Polo. Ordinary volks Polo oh!. You need to see issues! Yet no parts. The last time I saw him he was swearing 'never again!' Trust me you are safer with brands with readily available parts and mechanics. [/b]Even Americans done ditch 'em oldsmobile and GMs etc. for Toyotas and Hondas, so what you sayin? wink

The only point you raised which I readily agree with and which I'm trying, God help me, not to fall into presently, is [b]envy related emotions

I think it all balls down to how you maintain your car. I use a I've got friends who have bought brand new volkswagens in 2008 about the same time. One guy used his car carefully, serviced and changed parts at VW center. The other guy stopped using them after a while saying their servicing and parts cost too much. Right now, one of them still enjoys his car to the fullest while the other guy keeps spending hundreds of thousands on his car with roadside mechanics. Even though you might still get the odd one from a batch that might be very faulty (not uncommon with mass produced products, proper maintenance is still very key to how well you enjoy your car.
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by yuzedo: 7:46pm On Dec 12, 2012
femionasan:

Lmao are you serious, You stay around Anthony?
Oh yes, my father has a BIG super mansion in that vicinity... cool
[s]I pray NL babes see this and begin to offer me punny abeg[/s] grin grin wink
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by Chynx(m): 9:13pm On Dec 12, 2012
I am really feeling this thread...picked a couple of "knows" though. smiley
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by victokafor(m): 10:13pm On Dec 12, 2012
By their car you shall know them!!!
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by femionasan(m): 11:37pm On Dec 12, 2012
yuzedo:
Oh yes, my father has a BIG super mansion in that vicinity... cool
[s]I pray NL babes see this and begin to offer me punny abeg[/s] grin grin wink
hmmmmm!!!! I know the owners of the super mansions in that area. Born and bred in that hood, I must know you then.
Re: Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria by captalex(m): 1:58pm On Dec 13, 2012
I think the reason people purchase certain cars is because they have seen other folk use the same vehicle over a period of time and have been able to offer them reliable advice on how well the car performs.

Nigerians naturally prefer the better safe than sorry motto. especially in Lagos where if you have a faulty/unreliable car you might end up in rough situations with very unfriendly people.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ex-Volkswagen Boss, Ferdinand Piech, Dies At 82 / Power Is Becoming Cheap:The 13 Fastest Cars Under $50,000 / Production Of Castrol Automotive Engine Oil Commences In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.