Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,566 members, 7,827,112 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

Civil Engineering Vs Architecture - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Civil Engineering Vs Architecture (14670 Views)

Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering / System Engineering Vs Electrical Engineering / Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by jude2011: 4:48pm On Aug 02, 2011
I was told by my elder brother that if i want to study any course about building and construction that civil engineering is it but i prefer architecture. Which leads me to ask which is more viable in building and construction and what is the advantages of one over the other? THANKS
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by obowunmi(m): 4:58pm On Aug 02, 2011
Do what you love.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by jude2011: 9:45pm On Aug 02, 2011
Sometimes what you love is not the best for you pls can someone explain to me the role of both in construction and which of them can easily be self employed
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by rauly: 9:55pm On Aug 02, 2011
In my own opinion,i think civil engineering is more viable in the construction sector because what an architect does is to draw and an engineer analyzes the drawing and also supervise the site.Considering pay an engineer earns more than an architect.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by jude2011: 10:18pm On Aug 02, 2011
Ajanlekoko say something u know the value i attach to your experieced analysis
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by archmau(m): 9:06am On Jun 06, 2013
Civil engr. limits your creativity unlike architecture
job opo2ntiy in architecture has a wider range esp if u knw hw to trade unlike civil engr where you have to be employd most at times b4 u get pay.
Civil engr cant work without an architect whilst architect can work alone.

2 Likes

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by mikkyphp(m): 11:16am On Jun 06, 2013
archmau: Civil engr. limits your creativity unlike architecture
job opo2ntiy in architecture has a wider range esp if u knw hw to trade unlike civil engr where you have to be employd most at times b4 u get pay.
Wow! That's just wrong and plain misinformation.
Through out my studies in Uni as a CVE student, we did architecture courses and did plenty of engineering drawing: building plans, sectioning, roof designs, elevations etc. We even did a drawing course in final year, whose exam is 7 hours standard, with 1 hour break. (just like CCIE lol)

I think what the OP wants is a deep understanding of the two courses/career options. If i want to be simplistic, i'd say a Civil Engr is able to draw as well as interpret architectural designs and implement.
The Architect only draws. The CVE does the material management, strength of materials, building drawing sectioning/detailing, foundation designs and full Design. Full Design here means - getting results of calculations that determine the height of beams, thickness of slabs, amount of reinforcements to be used, type of reinforcements (i.e either high yield steel or mild steel) all based on Building codes. This helps to engender the optimal use of materials to achieve the minimum limit state and prevent wastage of materials.
All these and much more.

It is a CVE that designs drainages, pipe sections, Dams, soil testings .....the list goes on...

Let me stop here, but OP note that you have far more options as a Civil Engineer>> The job of an architect is just a microcosm of the Job of a CVE, just that they are specialized in their area.

my 2cents

9 Likes

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by Insanity(m): 8:38pm On Jun 07, 2013
mikkyphp:
Through out my studies in Uni as a CVE student, we did architecture courses and did plenty of engineering drawing: building plans, sectioning, roof designs, elevations etc. We even did a drawing course in final year, whose exam is 7 hours standard, with 1 hour break. (just like CCIE lol)

I think what the OP wants is a deep understanding of the two courses/career options. If i want to be simplistic, i'd say a Civil Engr is able to draw as well as interpret architectural designs and implement.
The Architect only draws. The CVE does the material management, strength of materials, building drawing sectioning/detailing, foundation designs and full Design. Full Design here means - getting results of calculations that determine the height of beams, thickness of slabs, amount of reinforcements to be used, type of reinforcements (i.e either high yield steel or mild steel) all based on Building codes. This helps to engender the optimal use of materials to achieve the minimum limit state and prevent wastage of materials.
All these and much more.

It is a CVE that designs drainages, pipe sections, Dams, soil testings .....the list goes on...

Let me stop here, but OP note that you have far more options as a Civil Engineer>> The job of an architect is just a microcosm of the Job of a CVE, just that they are specialized in their area.

my 2cents

Thread Closed.

Signed:
NICE Main Office.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by archmau(m): 2:50pm On Jun 08, 2013
[quote author=mikkyphp]

All these and much more.

JUST BECOUSE YOU offer some architecture course in skul doenst make u a proffisional mr man, archi stdnt do CVE courses as well even some humaterial studies like sociology bt we archi stdnt tend to knw and understand the boundries, the argurment btw arc. And CVE is and unending old one wich all the time is being distingushd on the site, like it or not arc is the cheif on any building site and or firm. However, if one realy wish to be self employed, satisfy and creative architecture is the right course 4 him or her, it alows you to be your own boss either at micro or macro level most often you dont need capital to start a biz and architect is the first person client contact when a such clien wants a brilliant job is now the responsibility of the arc. to invite other profnls where needed. In building industry we work as a team and the team leader is always an architect. Yes other may be able to draw bt they cant design a funtional building. Know your limit bro.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by mikkybrick: 8:55am On Jun 09, 2013
I know you read my post with a closed mind, and I won't argue with som1 who is clearly devoid of obkectivity. Its a waste of my time.
The OP wants options, CVE isn't about building structures alone...I highlighted it in my post.

For the record, the Engineer is always the building supervisor.The architect is often consulted to ensure the project fits specifications. I noticed in Nigeria that some architects tend to assume d role of engineer in site, this doesn't mean that in a well structured project this is the case- afterall bricklayers can build a house start to finish in naija witout any architect or engineer, but does not make it right.
Go and watch Discovery channel videos on Extreme structures. It's high time you knew ur boundaries. My seasoned architect friends would neva engage me in dis frivolous discourse because every one has roles in the team and they know wer they come in.

3 Likes

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by archmau(m): 6:21pm On Jun 09, 2013
mikkybrick: I know you read my post with a closed mind, Hm closed mind u said? Nothing of such. Architecture i know globaly is the art and science of designing buildings etc architects do create a building to suit a particular function thats the art part of it and plan a building in such a way that it fits the overall human civilization and fits to the enviroment in wich its build thats a bt nt all scientific part of it. To ensure smooth project and risk free CVE are employd to study the physics inolve in such a project CVE unlike architects have nothing to do with the economic and ecologcal parameters in such a project hence building indst. works in team. Architects are always present before, during and after the project wilst CVE are only needed during the project thats y i said arc are the leaders in building projects. Arc create, plan, design buildings whle CVE determines the stability of the whole structure. I like the way u argue can we be friends? 07067714858. Thanks
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by Kaysiii(m): 8:17am On Jun 10, 2013
Hey guyz, pls im a Student of Building Construction Technology....Can i "sincerely" know where we fit in..Cos i offer both architectural and CVE courses...

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by mikkyphp(m): 9:00am On Jun 10, 2013
archmau: I know you read my post with a closed mind, Hm closed mind u said? Nothing of such. Architecture i know globaly is the art and science of designing buildings etc architects do create a building to suit a particular function thats the art part of it and plan a building in such a way that it fits the overall human civilization and fits to the enviroment in wich its build thats a bt nt all scientific part of it. To ensure smooth project and risk free CVE are employd to study the physics inolve in such a project CVE unlike architects have nothing to do with the economic and ecologcal parameters in such a project hence building indst. works in team. Architects are always present before, during and after the project wilst CVE are only needed during the project thats y i said arc are the leaders in building projects. Arc create, plan, design buildings whle CVE determines the stability of the whole structure. I like the way u argue can we be friends? 07067714858. Thanks
I'm not a practicing CVE. I'm into IT - Networking, Unix and Storage with a Microsoft background. wink
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by Redhot111(m): 1:08am On Oct 09, 2013
archmau: Civil engr. limits your creativity unlike architecture
u really think u knw wat u r saying? dnt 4 get dat civil engineerin is a wider scope as against archi. N as such givs more opportunity. Hv u been to a buildin firm b4? 4 evry single archi. U hv atleast 5 engineers. Dat makes it 5 ratio 1. Am a civil engr. And I can tell u as a matter of fact dat I hv been designing building plans ryt frm my skool days so I wonder y u tink an engineer will b dependent on an archi. My man get ur facts lined up b4 commenting on such a sensitive tread as dis

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by kesie: 11:20am On Oct 09, 2013
Redhot111: u really think u knw wat u r saying? dnt 4 get dat civil engineerin is a wider scope as against archi. N as such givs more opportunity. Hv u been to a buildin firm b4? 4 evry single archi. U hv atleast 5 engineers. Dat makes it 5 ratio 1. Am a civil engr. And I can tell u as a matter of fact dat I hv been designing building plans ryt frm my skool days so I wonder y u tink an engineer will b dependent on an archi. My man get ur facts lined up b4 commenting on such a sensitive tread as dis
I seriously agree with you... What people don't understand is that civil engineering goes beyond building and structure.

2 Likes

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by LANREFORWA: 4:48am On Jan 17, 2015
Raul08:
I understand this thread was born in 2011 but I feel compelled to whistle few words.
Simply put, in an atmosphere of project synergy, both parties are indispensable of each other. I've had (and still don't mind having more) Arc. friends, earnestly seeking my consultancy services for the purpose of structural designs (steel, reinforced concrete, composites), drawing clarifications (or third party check of structural drawings), as well as integrity assessment of structures (via NDT). I also seek Arc.'s esteemed services when the need arises and I actually ceased from producing Architectural drawings years back but rather preferred calling on or recommending the professionals to prospective clients. "Jack of all trades, master of none", the idiom goes.
I sincerely hope that Jude2011 (the thread initiator) got useful help 3 or 4 years ago & performing excellently well now in either of the two fields.
And perhaps if you're an Architect or a civil property owner seeking the service(s) of a structural engineer, don't hesitate to reach me via; +2347039684321 or olaniyioluseun@gmail.com
Architect vs. Civil Engineer.
In accordance to standard way of building contracts in Nigeria, Architects are the head of the building team and that is why Architects fees is far higher than Enginer or any consultants involve in building project, Even in University the best of students are in Architecture and it is much easier to gain admission to civil than Architecture. Architecture is about creativity,gift. u Deal with imagination and even atimes u derive concept in dreams and where u do good presentation u look unique and gifted. Although other professioners context to be team leader but cannot work on contract laws and the reality on ground because it is the design of Architect everyone in building industry depend on and even if it is not storey building Engr is not required cos no need of structural column, beams and slab design and that is why client rely on architect. Architects actualize client brief or needs and through creativity and imaginination a realistic project is achieved and that is why every unique design a baby of the Architect and there is no better nurse for a child than the mother herself.Architect knows the end of its building design,others are just part of his vision
On supervision Architects is incharge of finishing and well paid cos he is the creator of building. Engr are basically for road culvert civil engr and structural engineer for column why details in building are frm Arch that is why Architect rules the Supervision. Engrs are many and they strugle for supervision that's why they say Arch design alone just bec road contract is not common and not available for them. According to build contract law, a contractor is to build and anyone can be a contractor just have the building consultants with u and it is also clearly defined that Architects are incharge of finishes in building. So if u love to be an Architect go for it but it has to do with a lot of hardwork and sleepless night in school but on site u enjoy it cos Architect is the Chairman of building project and receive the highest fees.When Architect design and build it make the work better but some choose to design alone leave it for contractor and come for supervision . As an Architect u can work alone if u are gifted and most good Architect made money before they leave school and even a lot of departments depend on them to do drawings for them. A lot of pple, engr stumble on drawing made by Arc why some do line sketch and claim they can design, these are imitation, nothing can be compare to architects drawing that why Architect is the dreamer that create the design from client briefs while engineer depend on Architect to get job to be part of his vision. Attached below are some of my jobs,this are created as my dreams from my client brief or design, I can't just show this to engineer on site and he claim he knows better than me as far as the project is concern. I knew what I go through headaches and sleepness night for me to achieve a nice concept of boat house,bookshop house, shopping mall etc. I remember the day mfm needed the bookshop house concept and I wall told the building should look like book from roof to wall. I sat down for days working on d my imagination,sketching,consultation and considering the reality on ground. So why will an Architect not be better paid for his effort. That why an Architect is in the better position to build his design

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by LANREFORWA: 5:18am On Jan 17, 2015
Architect and Engr are patners in the building project especially multistorey, but a. Bungalow require only Architect, but let me analyse the role of professional in the building industy.
Architect- Head of building team,design and supervision of building in over all, takes the client brief and most time engage other enginer to do structural and services job.
Engineer(structure). Design structural beams and column and supervise his columns beams and slab
Engineer(Mechanical and Electrical), design the m and E drawings and supervise it.
Surveyor(land) survey the land and establish points and beacon
Contractor. Incharge of building construction. Note anyone can do this as far ashe is registered and have professionals to work with them
Builder. A builder has no specific role in building indusry like other profession that why they fight for relevance and claim they are to build that why they are builder and that is not correct a contractor is in charge of building.
I dnt encourage building as a profession cos thereis no specific role although some dept ike Architect do send some student who can no longer cope with Architecture or admitted to Arc or Civil to building to accomodate them so anyone that think of Building tect as a course just to be a builder of building will be dissapointed.
All the professional listed above can actually make money a lot Gods willing but before u study a course u must know the level u will fall to in accordance to standard way of building contract in Nigeria, u can purchase the book or get and experience someone. Need further info. 08056492103, good luck in your choice profession. Your intrest and determination matters a lot. Thanks
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by Raul08: 2:29pm On Mar 15, 2015
I understand this thread was born in 2011 but I feel compelled to whistle few words.

Simply put, in an atmosphere of project synergy, both parties are indispensable of each other. I've had (and still don't mind having more) Arc. friends, earnestly seeking my consultancy services for the purpose of structural designs (steel, reinforced concrete, composites), drawing clarifications (or third party check of structural drawings), as well as integrity assessment of structures (via NDT). I also seek Arc.'s esteemed services when the need arises and I actually ceased from producing Architectural drawings years back but rather preferred calling on or recommending the professionals to prospective clients. "Jack of all trades, master of none", the idiom goes.

I sincerely hope that Jude2011 (the thread initiator) got useful help 3 or 4 years ago & performing excellently well now in either of the two fields.

And perhaps if you're an Architect or a civil property owner seeking the service(s) of a structural engineer, don't hesitate to reach me via; +2347039684321 or olaniyioluseun@gmail.com
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by nigeriancuban: 6:57pm On Nov 11, 2015
lol the ops question is quite ridiculous to me.how dare you compare engineering with architecture ,even the civil engineer are well thought architectural courses plus even more on detailing whereas the architect can only draw but can't analyse a structure..better go for civil engineering and I bet you would do even better than an architect afterwards,if you know what you are doing...

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by Redfox(m): 9:02pm On Nov 11, 2015
SPSS 22.0 Training session live in Victoria Island. November 14 and 15, 2015. Saturday and Sunday.

To attend, please call in/indicate.

Note that the session includes complete SPSS 22.0 installation files, video and guide for dummies.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by Ibrahimndg57(m): 3:02pm On Nov 12, 2015
nigeriancuban:
lol the ops question is quite ridiculous to me.how dare you compare engineering with architecture ,even the civil engineer are well thought architectural courses plus even more on detailing whereas the architect can only draw but can't analyse a structure..better go for civil engineering and I bet you would do even better than an architect afterwards,if you know what you are doing...
I believed u don't know what architecture entails
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by nigeriancuban: 7:52pm On Nov 16, 2015
Ibrahimndg57:
I believed u don't know what architecture entails
as a civil Engr I have seen enough plans to know what architecture is all about,not that I'm degrading it but you wouldn't think of architecture (a drawing) to engineering( the actualization) as being on the same league..

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by Kruzilano(m): 7:10pm On Dec 19, 2016
Raul08:

u are a little wrong, I am a stundent of building..... Owing to d fact that building tech is d newest construction course, u feel builders fight for relevance. Tho the NIA Nd board of structural engineer is far stronger... But No, the builder actually brings all drawings. Assemble dem togeda nd erect d structure.... D arch nd cve works are basically on paper... The builder might not av a specific position, but can tell wen each profession goes wrong, can be exchanged as an engineer nd vice versa... The major diff btwn an Archi nd a builder or engineer is detailing, d Archi pays more attention to details...
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by PDSI(m): 12:53am On Jul 27, 2020
Enroll today for a detailed, sophisticated and educative double course on the use of AUTOCAD for the production of 2D architectural drawings and CSC Orion for the Structural Analysis and Design of a building structure with detailing done to Nigerian standard.
For a token of #1500 naira only for both.
While #1000naira for each
Contact 08108531343 on WhatsApp for more details.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Architecture by Karlifate: 9:04am On Jul 27, 2020
[quote author=archmau post=16135122][/quote]

(1) (Reply)

The #nairalife Of A Lawyer Who Is Obsessed With Investment Opportunities / Opinion-#osunpaytheworkers... OsunWorkers Are Suffering! / 7 Tips For Building A Successful Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.