Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,698 members, 7,816,855 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:54 PM

The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes - Religion (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes (208977 Views)

Poll: Tithe-paying is

An old-testament law: 55% (74 votes)
A new-testament requirement too: 44% (60 votes)
This poll has ended

Imagine You Own This Ride And Your Pastor Asked You To Sow A Seed With It / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U / What Apostle Paul Had To Say About Tithes And Other Heretic Teachings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by TV01(m): 2:01pm On Dec 05, 2008
debosky:

@ Pastor AIO

What do you say about Matthew 23:23?

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former."

Jesus here is clearly endorsing tithing as a valid practice - so why should we not do it (each deciding in his heart), with understanding of course, that God loves a cheerful giver?

I don't buy the former argument that this was 'directed at pharisees' or simply 'fulfilling the law'. When other issues in Mosaic law such as 'an eye for an eye' came up, this is what Jesus said:

Matthew 5:38-39
"You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.'But I tell you not to resist an evildoer. On the contrary, whoever slaps you on the right cheek, turn the other to him as well.

What this implies to me is this: If Jesus wanted to abrogate tithing, he would have done so at this point, the same way he abrogated an eye for an eye. Jesus does not condemn the practice, neither do subsequent New Testament authors - it is definitely de-emphasised due to the wider audience involved now, both Jews and non-Jews. but that in no way negates the practice in my view.

The only caveat is this - all giving must come from a cheerful and grateful heart and not out of compulsion. Do not give the tithe if you feel compelled to, but only out of a right heart condition.

As to the matter of Malachi 3:10, We need to see things in context - there is no doubt that 'whatever a man sows so will he reap'. The core of our belief is (or should be) love and gratitude to the Saviour, but that does not negate the divine principle of sowing and reaping.

Jesus was endorsing tithe as a legal requirement under the law as it stood at that time.

The key is understanding the “weightier matters” and what they refer to – it also answers Romans 3:31 – about “establishing the law”.

The law of God is eternal and unchanging – He changeth not. There is in effect only one law. Love God and your neighbour as yourself.

To circle around number of laws, whether The Lord did or did not specifically abrogate tithing like in the eye-for-an-eye quote, or why there is not clear repeal as there was for circumcision, or why the Apostles do not appear to have condemned it, is totally needless.

The way the law is effected is what has changed. Previously it was by written laws, physically codified, by self righteousness.

Now, it’s written on hearts and by grace through faith in God.

So is the law established? Yes and Amen! Does that mean that a written code is still in place and to be slavishly followed? No and amen!

It is why one could break the written code if it meant fulfilling the “weightier matters” and be found blameless.

No non Jew was ever preached or spoken to about the tithe.

And one other thing, what was the promise for keeping the law?

God bless
TV
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by pilgrim1(f): 2:18pm On Dec 05, 2008
TV01:

Jesus was endorsing tithe as a legal requirement under the law as it stood at that time.

Then we should also do away with the wieghtier matters, yes? You cannot be so selective - "this do without negating the other" - not do this and dispense with the other. That is why debosky spelt it out simply and effectively with other instances such as Matt. 5:38-39.

TV01:

The key is understanding the “weightier matters” and what they refer to – it also answers Romans 3:31 – about “establishing the law”.

The law of God is eternal and unchanging – He changeth not. There is in effect only one law. Love God and your neighbour as yourself.

Romans 3:31 says you cannot void the law through faith. It does not say we should be selective between tithes and love. That is why I keep appealing that people should carefully weight their assertions and not wrap their notions in general ideas to woosh the whole thing away from what they don't understand. That verse continues to be so enigmatic to many people, because when they first make statements around it and then later check their ideas in the translations, they see two different and opposing things. I'm not going there at this point other than to note the fact.

TV01:

To circle around number of laws, whether The Lord did or did not specifically abrogate tithing like in the eye-for-an-eye quote, or why there is not clear repeal as there was for circumcision, or why the Apostles do not appear to have condemned it, is totally needless.

You can't be that selective - for the whole point was to show the distinction between that which was specifically stated and that which we force into the text that do not warrant such.

TV01:

The way the law is effected is what has changed. Previously it was by written laws, physically codified, by self righteousness.

Now, it’s written on hearts and by grace through faith in God.

So is the law established? Yes and Amen! Does that mean that a written code is still in place and to be slavishly followed? No and amen!

It is why one could break the written code if it meant fulfilling the “weightier matters” and be found blameless.

So, should one tithe from the heart where the law is written instead of by the codified that you argue here? Do you, or rather, have you taken the time to see the distinctions between the righteousness of the Law and of faith - and then look again at Romans 3:31 that says you cannot void the law through faith?

TV01:

No non Jew was ever preached or spoken to about the tithe.

What is the meaning of these two examples:

(1) Leviticus 24:22 - "Ye shall have one manner of law, as well for the stranger, as for one of your own country: for I am the LORD your God"

(2) Numbers 15:15-16 - "One ordinance shall be both for you of the congregation, and also for the stranger that sojourneth with you, an ordinance for ever in your generations: as ye are, so shall the stranger be before the LORD. One law and one manner shall be for you, and for the stranger that sojourneth with you."
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by pilgrim1(f): 3:03pm On Dec 05, 2008
Let me try and offer a bit more help on this subject, if some of us are willing to receive it. I don't know everything about this subject and definitely not more knowledgeable about it than any other. But here is something about the term "the law" and its applications in the NT.

When you think of the Law and have the ideas that it is completely cancelled, please try and think within the context of what you find in Scripture. We run into problems too many times when we make broad generalisations, select certain texts and ignore others.

It is true, for instance, that we are not under the Law, and therefore sin should not have dominion over us as believers. But even so, should we sin because we are under grace? God forbid - we definitely could not do so (Rom. 6:14-15). That is just an example of how the same thing is pointed to both under the Law and under grace. This one thing is that we should not live in sin - and whether someone was under the Law or under grace, the one thing is that they should not live in sin.

Another example is about living in holiness - both the Law and the ministry of grace point to the necessity of holiness in the believer. But does the NT therefore say that because we are not under the Law, we can then disregard it and look for our own holiness? I don't think so, otherwise the apostles would not have been pointing back to the same Law and stating that "it is written". For example, the apostle Peter urges the Christian to be holy, and establishes his urge by stating: "Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy" (1 Pet. 1:15-16).

Now, supposing one of us "clever" modern thinking Christians were in Peter's day and raised our hand in objection. The apostle might have asked, what is the matter with you? Just picture the scenario if that Christian would say, "Dear apostle sir, why are you quoting the Law for holiness, when it is clear that we are not under the Law?!? Why are you saying that it is written and pointing us to the very thing that has been cancelled?"

In effect, we may all smile benignly and wonder what is wrong with this fellow? Granted, holiness as "it is written" is pointing to the Law; but if all the Law was "cancelled", what are we left with than to be . . . ?!?

You see the point? I am not asking us to go back and be under the yoke of a legalistic requirement of keeping the Law by following Judaism. But the key here (as I have argued in a separate thread of its own) is the principle of the Law! Yes, God wrote His laws in our hearts and minds, but if that which was written is to be thrown wholesale behind our backs, why do we go back to the same "it is written" in 'the Law' to quote the same "Law" to argue for so many, many things that we practise in Christianity?

* Is it not the Law that people quote to ask women to shut up in church (1 Cor. 14:34)??
'Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak;
but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.'

* Is it not the Law that people quote for marriage (1 Cor. 7:39)??
'The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband
be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord'

Besides these few examples, there are so many, many, many more matters that Christians unwittingly practice as valid in their faith that they are so unware are founded upon the Law. Women in Church and marriage are so very few examples - but because I don't want to scare Christians, it would have been an easy thing for me to show 43 more matters! I am serious, folks. If we all argue about women having to shut up in church using 1 Cor. 14, are we aware that the argument is founded upon the Law that so many people have unwittingly negated? If the Law has no place at all, why quote it in the NT to ask women to shut up? Or to say that women are bound in marriage for as long as the husbands live?

I don't want us Christians to start getting uneasy about this matter of the Law - indeed the apostle said that strivings about the Law is unprofitable (we all know that). But hey, while I have maintained that pilgrim.1 is persuaded to tithe but not in fulfillment of the Levitical Law that points to Judaism; many people still have not grasped this matter about the Law. It is not something that is too difficult to understand, really. It is the simplest of matter (IMHO) in the teachings of the apostles, and it is perfectly balanced.

Let me share just one thing we should watch out for in understanding the principles of the Law: please seek to carefully see what each verse is saying in context. In the example of tithes, it does not justify any believer - whether in the OT or the NT!! Tithes, giving by grace, freewill offerings, donations, contributions, love offering, etc. . . have never been used in Scripture to justify anybody! I may be mistaken; but I have searched again and again about that fact! Please somebody should help me whenever they find a verse that negates my assumption here.

The tithes you give (not by coercion) should be a happy exercise by faith. I would like to agree with so many people that it is perfectly okay to give tithes; but it should not be done under any type of yoke - not under the yoke of misinterpretations of Judaism; or even under the more sinister yoke of greed for filthy lucre! I feel deeply for many brethren who are in a dilemma of being in places where they are being burdened with all kinds of talk and practices. But I hold them in my heart in prayers that when they find places where they can fellowship in true freedom, may God bless them to happily engage in tithes as led by the Spirit of God.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by SisiJinx: 3:54am On Dec 06, 2008
Enigma:

Yes Pastor Aio, I agree.

I always thought that even if Kunle used a wrong choice of words in saying "it is wrong to tithe", his real point is much clearer. Indeed while the onus is on him to express himself accurately, I think his greater point is much clearer and could have been easily comprehended by an objective reader.

I think the fundamental point does remain: that the continued yoke and burden being placed on misguided or misinformed (or even uninformed) Christians by most modern teachings on "tithing" really need to be challenged vigorously and continuously. One should not allow semantics or nit-pickings regarding choice of words and pedantic gyrations to divert attention away from this real and pressing matter.

Of course if someone, having the full facts and understanding them, chooses to "tithe" in the way that it is taught predominantly today, that is their choice and they should not necessarily be castigated. However, it is a different matter where people are deceived, bullied or abused into succumbing to false superstitions (i.e. blessing and/or curse), mostly with the aim of fleecing them.

Couldn't agree more!!!!

And I doubt those who have the full facts and understanding yet still choose to tithe, will feel castigated.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by lucabrasi(m): 2:06am On Dec 07, 2008
@poster
i dont get the whole thing about tithes being wrong or otherwise, people that pay tithes make a conscious decision to do so and not brainwashed or forced in any way, let us live all individuals alone and what they chose to do with their monies and divert all this energy and righteous indignation towards the politicians who are custodians of public money
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KunleOshob(m): 11:52am On Dec 10, 2008
lucabrasi:

@poster
i don't get the whole thing about tithes being wrong or otherwise, people that pay tithes make a conscious decision to do so and not brainwashed or forced in any way, let us live all individuals alone and what they chose to do with their monies and divert all this energy and righteous indignation towards the politicians who are custodians of public money
Well this topic is not essentially about wether tithes is wrong or not, it is primarily to inform christians about the real truth about tithes biblically as the truth about tithes is not being preached in most churches who just prefer using Malachi 3:10 to manipuilate their congregation. If people know the truth about it and they still insist on throwing their money down the drain no problem, but the truth is that most tithers are ignorant of the truth as far as tithes is concerned.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by trinigirl1(f): 2:31pm On Dec 10, 2008
this topic again! , wow ,
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by muteeu(m): 6:13pm On Dec 10, 2008
it is true church now plenty because of the tithes
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by nixeco: 4:33am On Jan 08, 2009
Tithing is sometimes necessary because people won't give.

Unfortunately too many Big churches get big because they require tithing.

The Church people should want to give tithe and beyond, not as tithe, but love offerings to the Lord.

If you shut off your wife and kids, they are not happy.

If you shut off your church, they are still supposed to smile and keep on giving.

Don't put the burden on the few that give generously.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by dafidixone(m): 11:21am On Jan 08, 2009
First, Let me wish everyone here Happy 2009. This year is a year that the Lord have spoken Joy to the wise. Be wise and your Joy will be full.

Well this topic is not essentially about wether tithes is wrong or not, it is primarily to inform christians about the real truth about tithes biblically as the truth about tithes is not being preached in most churches who just prefer using Malachi 3:10 to manipuilate their congregation. If people know the truth about it and they still insist on throwing their money down the drain no problem, but the truth is that most tithers are ignorant of the truth as far as tithes is concerned.

I am happy Kunle is not saying Tithe payment is wrong. I will also want us to note that emphasis about Mal. 3:10 is not manipulation, it is emphasising the truth about how God blesses His people. It is not a good thing for a good Christian to wallow in Poverty. People can be poor and make heaven but it is not the wish of God for His children to be poor and live miserable life. The point here is that we must be exposed to secrete of God treasure. Giving to God is one of the secrets for Financial Prosperity. SO whenever TIthe is emphasised, it is not for you to compulsorily give to God, but to make you know that making a good success is critical to obeying "Laws" and "Commandments" of God. For Example, Malachi 3, is a revelation to some people that makes us see how we are in the sight of God when we fail to pay our tithes. Malachi is a call to a true worshiper who still find devourer in his life. Are you a christian and you are still invaded by lack of basic needs, are you always getting your pay to spend it on things that are not worth it. This may be the work of devourer, check your tithe payment life then you know what exactly to do. According to Bishop Oyedepo's "Understanding Financial Prosperity" He made so many point about giving as a critical instrument to opening heaven of blessing. He made us understnd that some issues does not demand prayers, they demand practicing the word. For example if your are a good Christian, and you are praying to GOd to bless you financially, you need to look into your giving habbit. Tithe is a command with reward of blessing.

Joy to the Wise.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by anonimi: 11:03am On Jan 09, 2009
dafidixone:

First, Let me wish everyone here Happy 2009.  This year is a year that the Lord have spoken Joy to the wise. Be wise and your Joy will be full.

I am happy Kunle is not saying Tithe payment is wrong.  I will also want us to note that emphasis about Mal. 3:10 is not manipulation, it is emphasising the truth about how God blesses His people. It is not a good thing for a good Christian to wallow in Poverty. People can be poor and make heaven but it is not the wish of God for His children to be poor and live miserable life.  The point here is that we must be exposed to secrete of God treasure. Giving to God is one of the secrets for Financial Prosperity.  SO whenever TIthe is emphasised, it is not for you to compulsorily give to God, but to make you know that making a good success is critical to obeying "Laws" and "Commandments" of God.  For Example, Malachi 3, is a revelation to some people that makes us see how we are in the sight of God when we fail to pay our tithes.  Malachi is a call to a true worshiper who still find devourer in his life.  Are you a christian and you are still invaded by lack of basic needs, are you always getting your pay to spend it on things that are not worth it.  This may be the work of devourer, check your tithe payment life then you know what exactly to do.  According to Bishop Oyedepo's "Understanding Financial Prosperity" He made so many point about giving as a critical instrument to opening heaven of blessing.  He made us understnd that some issues does not demand prayers, they demand practicing the word. For example if your are a good Christian, and you are praying to GOd to bless you financially, you need to look into your giving habbit.  Tithe is a command with reward of blessing.

Joy to the Wise.

why are you passing your rotten and rotting banana [tithe -10%] off as a ripe and maturing banana [giving -any %] so as to confuse Christians again.
Please note that we are one decade into the 21st century when people can read and search the Bible electronically and come to a clear understanding that tithes are NOT REQUIRED of Christians but freewill giving is REQUIRED.
I hope you can make the distinction yourself and not that you have made that distinction already but continue on the road to perdition and seek to drag others along with you.
Shalom
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by anonimi: 11:19am On Jan 09, 2009
dafidixone:

I am happy Kunle is not saying Tithe payment is wrong.  I will also want us to note that emphasis about Mal. 3:10 is not manipulation, it is emphasising the truth about how God blesses His people. It is not a good thing for a good Christian to wallow in Poverty.

Has it ever occurred to you and your Mal.3:10 brandishing tithe-mongers that China & India both have one-third (2.2 billion) of the world's population (6.6 billion) and in the past twenty years have steadily grown more (absolute numbers & as % of their population) rich, prosperous people than Bible-clutching Nigerians and even the US   Lately, wages and salary rates in these two countries are increasing to catch up with Europe and the US while luxury products manufacturers (Mercedes Benz, BMW, fashion designers etc) are opening factories there to cater for the nouveau riche.
I am sure you know they are not Christians there and will not even know about your Mal.3:10 on "how God blesses His people". 
Read your Bible again and you will realise He blesses those who work hard, save their money and invest it for growth while sharing with the less fortunate in their midst.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 8:38pm On Jan 09, 2009
@anonimi
There's no need for you to take this issue this personal.This is a new year,calm down and take things easy.Nobody is paying his/tithe from your salary.They're using their own money.And nobody is damning their souls or going to hell by paying tithes as your post suggests.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by anonimi: 12:07pm On Jan 10, 2009
Image123:

@anonimi
And nobody is damning their souls or going to hell by paying tithes as your post suggests.

I am sure you understand English and can point out where I was specifically (or suggested) damning anyone's soul for paying tithes shocked
In case you missed it and to stop you from further confusing issues, the Bible only damns those who knowing the truth (you should give offerings -any %, which may happen to be 10% i.e. tithe) or posturing themselves as knowing the truth about tithes and Christian giving continue to feed lies (that tithes-10% is requeired) to gullible Christians.
If anyone knows the Biblical truth about Christian giving and decides freely and willingly, [b]without coercion or manipulation [/b]to give 10% of his income his soul can not be damned.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by anonimi: 1:13pm On Jan 12, 2009
anonimi:

I am sure you understand English and can point out where I was specifically (or suggested) damning anyone's soul for paying tithes shocked

Oga Image 123,

I thought with your prolificity on this forum you would have responded to my request almost immediately. Or silence is consent

Image123:

@anonimi
There's no need for you to take this issue this personal.This is a new year,calm down and take things easy.Nobody is paying his/tithe from your salary.[/b]They're using their own money.And nobody is damning their souls or going to hell by paying tithes as your post suggests.

How about the bolded part of your reply above as taking issues personal
I thought Christ thought us to turn the other cheek when slapped? [b]Maybe
you don't follow such teachings as you obviously prefer to return double slaps on each cheek even when you are not slapped but only a semblance of a retort that is based on the Bible is given to your tithe-mongering co-traveller.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 6:04pm On Jan 12, 2009
@anonimi
on second thoughts,I'll respond to your post.Please this is religion section not comedy section.you got me laughing with your post.
Check up your reply to dafidxone about 4 anonimi posts away.Among other things,you said and I quote
why are you passing your rotten and ROTTING banana.
You have made that distinction already BUT CONTINUE ON THE ROAD TO PERDITION and seek to DRAG OTHERS along with you.
then you declared peace by saying Shalom.Peace on the road to perdition.I expected that you'll at least re check what you posted but no,you seemed too sure of yourself.There's need for self examination 'even if' you're right.examine yourself if you're in the faith.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by karlie4nia(m): 7:50pm On Jan 12, 2009
In my opinion, the important ponit here is giving- Titing is a form of giving and its also as good as giving any form of good gift, like kindness, love,time, talents, smiles,knowledge, doing charity work etc. It simply fulfills the law of giving or sowing and reaping. God does not hold anything against you for not doing something and that wont stop Him form blessing anyone accordingly.You only reap what you have sown.But one dosent insist on a way to be rewarded.God does so in his own infinitely intelligent and amazing way and time. The energy or attitude behind the giving is what matters. Not grudgingly. As for me its always in my own best in interest to give freely and cheerfully according to the word of God.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by anonimi: 9:21pm On Jan 12, 2009
anonimi:

Please note that we are one decade into the 21st century when people can read and search the Bible electronically and come to a clear understanding that tithes are NOT REQUIRED of Christians but freewill giving is REQUIRED.
I hope you can make the distinction yourself and not that you have made that distinction already but continue on the road to perdition and seek to drag others along with you.
Shalom

@Image123,
Now compare the original above to the out-of-cotext one you quoted below:

why are you passing your rotten and ROTTING banana.
You have made that distinction already BUT CONTINUE ON THE ROAD TO PERDITION and seek to DRAG OTHERS along with you.
I leave readers to judge why you want to distort my message shocked
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 12:14am On Jan 13, 2009
@anonimi
It's either you're a very funny personality or a phoney one.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by anonimi: 10:40am On Jan 14, 2009
Image123:

@anonimi
It's either you're a very funny personality or a phoney one.

I don't believe there is any instruction on this forum that one must respond to any post even when one has nothing tangible to say as in your above post.
May I humbly request you to go through all my posts on this forum whether they suggest any triviality of mind or person.
Rather than come up with Bible based responses to a serious, fundamental issue as is being discussed here you resort to what can only be considered infantile escapism.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by hubreality(m): 12:34am On Feb 07, 2009
@Poster. Your alert explicitly tells your unbelieve in God's word(Scriptures). Remember, at your exit from this planet, this golden financial system of they believers continues unto eternity. It's beyond any immaginations of mere mortals. Let God be true, and all men be liars. Be mindful of they seeds you sow for that will you reap. Who takes the tithe should not pose a problem.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by SirJohn(m): 10:01am On Feb 07, 2009
anonimi:

Has it ever occurred to you and your Mal.3:10 brandishing tithe-mongers that China & India both have one-third (2.2 billion) of the world's population (6.6 billion) and in the past twenty years have steadily grown more (absolute numbers & as % of their population) rich, prosperous people than Bible-clutching Nigerians and even the US Lately, wages and salary rates in these two countries are increasing to catch up with Europe and the US while luxury products manufacturers (Mercedes Benz, BMW, fashion designers etc) are opening factories there to cater for the nouveau riche.
I am sure you know they are not Christians there and will not even know about your Mal.3:10 on "how God blesses His people".
Read your Bible again and you will realise He blesses those who work hard, save their money and invest it for growth while sharing with the less fortunate in their midst.

I cant agree any less anonimi, I have stopped tithing for quite some time now and believe me, I have had more increase and blessings far far greater than what I had when I was an tither. If I hadn't stopped tithing, I would probably have thought it was my tithes and 'seeds' that made it possible.

@hubreality, Gods 'financial' system has got nothing to do with your money. If tithing and seed sowing is Gods financial plan for the prosperity of the saints, then I think the Nigerian Stock Exchange is doing a better job. Look around you hub, how many millionaire Africans, Americans, Europeans, Asians are Christians let alone tithe payers?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by hubreality(m): 2:46pm On Feb 07, 2009
SirJohn:

I cant agree any less anonimi, I have stopped tithing for quite some time now and believe me, I have had more increase and blessings far far greater than what I had when I was an tither. If I hadn't stopped tithing, I would probably have thought it was my tithes and 'seeds' that made it possible.

@hubreality, Gods 'financial' system has got nothing to do with your money. If tithing and seed sowing is Gods financial plan for the prosperity of the saints, then I think the Nigerian Stock Exchange is doing a better job. Look around you hub, how many millionaire Africans, Americans, Europeans, Asians are Christians let alone tithe payers?

Sirjohn, the truth is, you're not yet a believer in God's Word(The Scriptures) though you may know them for ages and do quote them pretty well, I guess you're an atheist, right?

Anyway, do you also know that believing is a choice? You're stopping tithing does not make it wrong or make God's word less than His integrity and purpose. Simple!
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by SirJohn(m): 7:55am On Feb 08, 2009
hubreality:

Sirjohn, the truth is, you're not yet a believer in God's Word(The Scriptures) though you may know them for ages and do quote them pretty well, I guess you're an atheist, right?

Atheist? I wonder what gave you that impression; I'm sure even the atheists will be surprised to read this.

hubreality:

Anyway, do you also know that believing is a choice? You're stopping tithing does not make it wrong or make God's word less than His integrity and purpose. Simple!

Yeah you're right its a choice, you can go ahead and give your hard earned money to Chris for all I care. Like I said Hub, I've quit tithing for a while now and I can tell you this: most of what you think you experience as a result of it is nothing but a fluke. Quit tithing, you'd be surprised everything will still be the same or even better like in my case. Maybe the 'devourer' doesn't play by the rules all the time grin tongue grin tongue
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by hubreality(m): 12:52pm On Feb 08, 2009
Sirjohn, good for you. You're now competing with God and His Words(The Scriptures). If you declare "quit tithing" then you're against the word of God and His existence like they atheists do. The truth remains, you're not a believer! A believer is one who simply believes on God's word. Are you a believer in Christ Jesus reading this thread and various posts, refuse every lying vanities of the devil, geared towards making you doubt and disbelieve God's word as it is written. The Word of God is Truth. Nothing can be truer than the Truth.
Jesus is Lord.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by SirJohn(m): 2:35pm On Feb 08, 2009
hubreality:

Sirjohn, good for you. You're now competing with God and His Words(The Scriptures). If you declare "quit tithing" then you're against the word of God and His existence like they atheists do. The truth remains, you're not a believer! A believer is one who simply believes on God's word. Are you a believer in Christ Jesus reading this thread and various posts, refuse every lying vanities of the devil, geared towards making you doubt and disbelieve God's word as it is written. The Word of God is Truth. Nothing can be truer than the Truth.
Jesus is Lord.

Why do you heretics always put God in the line to push your baseless defense huh? You just said its a matter of choice and I said I agree; what then is the competition with God? I do not believe tithing is a scriptural or biblical obligation for the new testament Christian, period. If you believe in it, go ahead and give it. I'm not debating on this one with you Hub, I'm sure you don't want it.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 6:03pm On Feb 08, 2009
The word of God does not command us to tithe anymore on the contrary it asks us to stop tithing.In Ephesians 2:15,heb 7:18 it told us explicitly tha Jesus abolished the Jewish law(tithe inclusive).Christians are not required to tithe but rather to give freely out of their own volition.In 2 thes3:9 paul clearly states that he did not depend on anybody but rather worked for his daily bread
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by MrCrackles(m): 6:04pm On Feb 08, 2009
chukwudi44:

The word of God does not command us to tithe anymore on the contrary it asks us to stop tithing.In Ephesians 2:15,heb 7:18 it told us explicitly tha Jesus abolished the Jewish law(tithe inclusive).Christians are not required to tithe but rather to give freely out of their own volition.In 2 thes3:9 paul clearly states that he did not depend on anybody but rather worked for his daily bread

Really?

Super!!
grin
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by gozzilla(m): 6:08pm On Feb 08, 2009
Hmm, the only thing about those not tithing is that God called them robbers. Won't i want to hold back that 1/10, na big money o.
and i like what john hagee said that DEBT means

Doing
Everything
But
Tithing
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 6:26pm On Feb 08, 2009
show me a place in the new testament that says christians should tithe and I will.Whe tithing was in force it was done once in 3 yrs and only involves agriocultural produce.Today ur greedy pastors want it every month
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by gozzilla(m): 6:35pm On Feb 08, 2009
Nwa nna, i want to help you so listen with a open mind. First and foremost tithing is not a thing of the old testament, it came before the law. The first time tithe was mentioned was in Genesis, Abraham gave tithe to Melchizedek. Also in Genesis, Jacob also gave tithe to God. He said he will give tithe if God kept him in one piece.
This men all lived before the law was given to Moses.
Now you ask to see this principle in the new testament. Well tithe is not explicitly stated in the but for one giving and receiving is stated. Now God did not give a command in the new testament that what a man sows he will reap. Paul in Galatian simply stated the principle that God gave to Noah in Gen 8 that as long as the earth remains seed time and harvest shall not seize. That is not a old testament command. So also it is with tithing. It is a principle that guarantees God's hand in your finances, actually He said i will pour you a blessing, and rebuke the devourer.
I could go on and on, but that's why we have the bible and the holy Spirit he will enlighten your heart if you ask him to sincerely.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KunleOshob(m): 12:31pm On Feb 09, 2009
@godzilla
The way you gullible heretics spread twisted scripture used to manipulate you by your ill informed and manipulative gods of men is really infurating. The bible is very clear, tithing as NO placing in christianity. I won't bother to go into details again cos i believe i have made myself crystal clear enough on this thread with enough clear scriptures to butress all my submissions

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (40) (Reply)

The Doctrine Of The Ufos / Cultism, The Spiritual Consequences And Deliverance Through Christ / Must Read!!why And How I Became A Satanist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.