Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,545 members, 7,827,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes - Religion (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes (209251 Views)

Poll: Tithe-paying is

An old-testament law: 55% (74 votes)
A new-testament requirement too: 44% (60 votes)
This poll has ended

Imagine You Own This Ride And Your Pastor Asked You To Sow A Seed With It / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U / What Apostle Paul Had To Say About Tithes And Other Heretic Teachings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Joagbaje(m): 11:21am On Oct 31, 2013
DrummaBoy:

I do not believe this comment is necessary.

I do not have multiple ID's but even if I do, what will be my profit: to give the impression that many people agree with my position? Nonsense! The fact that a lot of people agree to something doesn't make it right. It might give an impression that one side is "winning" but if a person is truly concerned about what God thinks, such a thing will never be his/her priority.

I had the wonderful experience of meeting kunleoshob (Pastor Kun) in Lagos about a month ago. As we discussed while he drove me to the motor park in his 2006 Benz car (I told him: "how come you drive a car like this and you don't pay your tithe?" lol), the impression I got of him was not of someone who will waste valuable time making multiple ID's to drive home his point of tithing. If anything, I think Pastor Kun has made his point. After writing that article in the OP, it was published in Newspapers and magazines. How many us have had such privileges? How he makes out time to come discuss tithing on a rowdy forum like this beats my imagination, despite his having to contend for time in a thriving business he heads. It shows someone that has a sincere love for Christ's church and would want people to come to the knowledge of truth.

Joagbaje, some of you could take a cue from Kun rather fleecing God's people of their hard earned resources; find a job to do - although I can tell you that making up multiple ID's to support tithing will not put food on your table!

Pant of lies ! Keep up the drama
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by DrummaBoy(m): 12:30pm On Oct 31, 2013
Joagbaje:

Pant of lies ! Keep up the drama

It wasn't written for you to believe. You could even say that Drummaboy is Pastor Kun, it doesn't change anything. Truth is truth, lies can't subtract from it.

Same with the issue of tithing!
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Gombs(m): 12:48pm On Oct 31, 2013
^^
grin grin

Just like how Goshen said I and Jo are same

And BTW it still doesn't change d fact dat Kunle, had multiple IDs na

KunleOshobs, PastorKun and Christembassey

I cancelled the above o!

grin
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Alwaystrue(f): 2:56pm On Oct 31, 2013

As we discussed while he drove me to the motor park in his 2006 Benz car (I told him: "how come you drive a car like this and you don't pay your tithe?" lol),
Without wondering what even brought up this kind of comment, it really is a hint to understand now why some were tithing before and stopped. It is truly a thing of the heart, indeed.

However, God truly knows those who are rich towards Him with the right heart.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 3:47pm On Oct 31, 2013
Alwaystrue:
Without wondering what even brought up this kind of comment, it really is a hint to understand now why some were tithing before and stopped. It is truly a thing of the heart, indeed.

Yeah..His motive wasn't right when he started tithing 25yrs ago..Truly like Cain.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by DrummaBoy(m): 4:00pm On Oct 31, 2013
Alwaystrue:

I am DrummaBoy, like Goshen 360 will say, and I endorse the above query. Especially the bolded. tongue
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Alwaystrue(f): 4:06pm On Oct 31, 2013
@Bidam,
Please only God knows people's true motives though it may be reflected in their actions. But why I picked out that line is due to objectivity, not even the year or make of a car.
If that kind of statement can be made then nothing stops a statement like this when he sees a 2014 model driven by someone who does not even give at all whether to poor, family or church. I just get amazed when I see some comments...but it reflects whats inside and it is not nice to see.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by DrummaBoy(m): 4:14pm On Oct 31, 2013
@ Alwaystrue

Enough of the hypocritical pious maneuvering. The title of the thread is The truth your Pastor would not tell you about tithes. If you are truly concerned about knowing what is in my heart, open a thread on it and title it: The Heart of DrummaBoy and quote me (albeit out of context), I will meet you there.

If you cannot do that, you may just shut up and stop derailing the thread.

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 4:15pm On Oct 31, 2013
Alwaystrue: @Bidam,
Please only God knows people's true motives though it may be reflected in their actions. But why I picked out that line is due to objectivity, not even the year or make of a car.
If that kind of statement can be made then nothing stops a statement like this when he sees a 2014 model driven by someone who does not even give at all whether to poor, family or church. I just get amazed when I see some comments...but it reflects whats inside and it is not nice to see.
He told us why he stopped tithing here on nairaland.You weren't there the first day na.lol
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Alwaystrue(f): 4:20pm On Oct 31, 2013
^^^^^
Whatever it may be...as I said earlier....God is the one who judges the motives. If it is due to carnal reasons, He knows. Many reasons often given are fleshly. It is either due to anger, jealousy, hatred, rebellion or an avenue not to even give so as to supposedly 'have more'. For a heart that truly loves knows what is right as God's word says and does.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 4:30pm On Oct 31, 2013
Alwaystrue: ^^^^^
Whatever it may be...as I said earlier....God is the one who judges the motives. If it is due to carnal reasons, He knows. Many reasons often given are fleshly. It is either due to anger, jealousy, hatred, rebellion or an avenue not to even give so as to supposedly 'have more'. For a heart that truly loves knows what is right as God's word says and does.
Yeah..you are right.God knows ALL hearts. But in an anonymous forum like this,it is difficult for people to hide their hearts.

So we judge them based on God's word not with the attitude of superiority or condemnation. But on what God has said.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Gombs(m): 4:56pm On Oct 31, 2013
grin grin grin

Alwaystrue is right in all ramification

#Twale
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by PastorKun(m): 7:29pm On Oct 31, 2013
Gombs: ^^
grin grin

Just like how Goshen said I and Jo are same

And BTW it still doesn't change d fact dat Kunle, had multiple IDs na

KunleOshobs, PastorKun and Christembassey

I cancelled the above o!

grin

Stop displaying your ignorance here, when I changed my ID to Pastor Kun I announced clearly to every one on this forum that I was changing my ID and I completely stopped using the old one, so accusing me of using multiple IDs is at best a very daft statement.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by DrummaBoy(m): 8:20pm On Oct 31, 2013
Alwaystrue: ^^^^^

Kudos Madame!

At least someone who insinuates that a person who said another person does not tithe but drives a 2006 Benz, and that makes the person rebellious, etc, is a lot better than another person who claims Jesus was a pharisee all in the bid to justify the tithe.

At least some people are doing a better job at "deducing" than I ever did.

Well done. Impressive!!
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by DrummaBoy(m): 9:04pm On Oct 31, 2013
For those who think we war as in the flesh, I am making the effort to state why I stopped tithing. Among many other reasons, and after the dust has settled on my conviction on tithing, this is the word the Lord gave me on tithing. And to show how effective it is, God gave me the wonderful privilege of sharing the meat of it on radio some two months ago in the city of Ibadan. Raising up a healthy debates among churches wether Christians ought to pay or not pay their tithes.That earned me a sack from being a church worker in my local assembly and has pitched me in dis favour with my church leaders. But I am not at all deterred. For those who care to read, this is taken from my blog www.yesufu..com. This, my dear friends is the reason, I will never tithe again in this life:

“I CANNOT AFFORD TO BE A CHRISTIAN”

Romans 8:32 - He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

2 Peter 1:2 - Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, 3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

Evangelism remains a cardinal aspect of the Christian’s way of life. The call on us to “go ye…” by Jesus Christ cannot be over-emphasized especially in times like this when it seems the world itself is reeling from the weight of the sins of men. There is no other time in the history of the world that men need to hear the message of the saving works of Jesus Christ than now. But it seems to me that the world is tired of the gospel. An average non-Christian has heard these words “give your life to Christ…” so many times that it is making little sense to them day by day and thus there is a need to trust God for more creative ways of passing across the message of the cross to a world desperately in need of hearing it. As we endeavor to do this as Christians, we must also update ourselves about certain realities in the world today and the need for us as Christians to up our game, quit religion and avail ourselves as vessels to God to be used as his mouth piece to witness Jesus to a world in dire need of the salvation message.

One reality that we Christian seem not to notice about the mindset of a non Christian is the fact that many of such people cannot afford to be Christians. I use the word “afford” to drive home the fact that the Christianity that many espouse today cost too much financially and people cannot just afford to pay for it; and the best way of doing this is just to keep away from the gospel entirely. There is a certain false teaching in the heart and life of the Christian church today that says that for one to be a good Christian such an individual must pay a tithe of his income to a Christian clergy or to the church he worships in. And for this reason, many hard working and sensible individuals who, at one time or the other had considered the Christian message have been put off and relapsed into a world of sin. There is no scripture in the whole of the bible that says for one to be a Christian or for one to be a good Christian or for one to get to heaven, such an individual must pay a tithe of his weekly or monthly income to a clergy or church. To claim such is to put a sword through the heart of the gospel Jesus called the church to propagate around the world. The eternal gospel that God called us to tell the world is that Jesus Christ died a painful death on a Roman Cross to purchase salvation for the world. In doing this, Jesus paid for all that needs to be paid for. Anyone that believes the gospel of Jesus is not required to pay anything more both to be a Christian or to remain a Christian. Man’s salvation is fully paid for by the atoning work of Jesus on the cross of Calvary. Salvation is God’s free gift to human beings and any man can partake of this salvation by only believing in Jesus as his Lord and Savior.

This sort of conditional and false gospel tried to creep into the body of Christ in the early days of the apostles too. Christianity having been borne from a Jewish tradition was in danger of being influenced by Judaism, when some individuals began to say people could not be saved except they were circumcised first (Acts 15:1). This heresy was quickly dispelled by the apostles of Jesus when they showed the implication of Jesus’s dying on our faith: “But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.” (Acts 15:11). The grace of God in the cross of Jesus is the fact that God gives salvation freely to men and no one needs to work to earn it, talk less of paying for it. Grace is a favour that is not merited neither can it be paid for. The doctrine that teaches that Christians must pay tithe to their local churches is a false doctrine that is the result of a wrong interpretation of the tithe God demanded from the Children of Israel in the Old Testament as a kind of taxation to support the religious and civil life of those people. The tithe of the Old Testament is ten percent of the agricultural produce from God’s holy land. A land that God gave to the children of Israel and He instituted the tithe from any produce off that Land to be a paid to a tribe, the levites, who had no inheritance on the land. This tithe was expected to paid once, following the harvest, and was to be given to the levithes, who in turn paid a tithe of what they received to the priests for their own upkeep. The tithe was never money, even though money existed in Old Testament times. That system of tithing is however, today, defuct and obsolete, because the church of Jesus Christ is not physical Israel and there are no levities to pay tithes to today.

Jesus has paid all that needs to be paid and God is not demanding anything from anyone save for simple faith in what Jesus has done on the cross for sinful humanity. What did Jesus do? God created a good world. A world devoid of sin, sickness, poverty and every sort of ill. He created man and put man in the world he created but man sinned and lost his relationship with God. In spite of this set back, God put in motion another plan to redeem man. When Jesus was to be born, the reason for his coming was stated: He was to come and save man from his sins (Matthew 1:21). Jesus did this by living a sinless life on earth by fulfilling the righteous requirements of the laws God had given Moses. In the laws of Moses, men could pay for their sins by killing a lamb. However, Jesus, who had lived the law perfectly, became a sinless lamb, whom God set forth as a propitiation for our sin. Like in the days of Moses, God put the sins of the whole world on Jesus and He died as the sacrificial Lamb of God for the sins of all men. Jesus paid for our sins by his death on a Roman Cross. This is what Jesus did.

But the story did not end there, Jesus would however, rise up from the dead after three days in the grave, having purchased eternal salvation for all who will believe in Him. This is the crux of the gospel message and this is what satan has been attacking from all times. When a man, having heard the gospel message, is convicted of his sins and repents before God, such a man is forgiven by God and is made a new creation in Christ. Such an individual is saved and has begun a glorious journey in God that started in grace and will most certainly end in grace. Such an individual need not pay a penny to be saved, to remain saved or to be saved into God’s glorious kingdom.

To conclude this essay, I wish to offer a proper and balanced perspective on the whole matter of money in the Christian church. While God does not demand we pay tithes or offering to be members of the Church His Son purchased with His blood, God demands our love. The truth is that a genuinely born-again individual will have God’s love shed abroad in his heart. He will see life from a new perspective: he would love God and he would love human beings. It is this love God has placed in the heart of such a converted fellow that leads him to give because love always gives. This giving is not by compulsion (2Corinthians 9:7) as is falsely depicted by the doctrine of tithing, but free will. What this free will giving shall be is not a matter for any church or pastor to determine for any of God’s saints: an individual may be so blessed by God that he determines in his heart to give 10% of his income to support the church were he is being discipled. That is just fine; but what he gives is not a tithe but a tenth of his income.

Despite the position I have taken in this essay I still encourage giving to the church because of the great need for the propagation of the gospel in these last days. There is the need for more money in mission works to parts of the world that have never heard the gospel message; there is the need to take care of the weak in the church: widows, orphans, the sick, homeless, jobless, etc. And there is the need to minister our physical blessings to our Pastors, as they minister spiritual things to us. All of these needs in church can be adequately taken care of by graceful, sacrificial, free willed offering; without the need to impose the false burden of tithe paying on the flock of God.

The message of this essay is that salvation is free: fully paid for by the death of Jesus on the cross. We cannot purchase salvation by good works, circumcision or by tithing. God is calling on every person who is not a Christian to re consider the gospel message, not in the light of the false one that the demands money from you but in the light of the true gospel that says God does not desire a penny from you; rather, God desires you. God has fully paid for your salvation in Christ Jesus and you need not pay anything to receive it or to keep it. Every human being created by God can afford to be a Christian because salvation in Jesus Christ is free!
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 6:46am On Nov 01, 2013
DrummaBoy:

Kudos Madame!

At least someone who insinuates that a person who said another person
does not tithe but drives a 2006 Benz, and that makes the person
rebellious, etc, is a lot better than another person who claims Jesus
was a pharisee
all in the bid to justify the tithe.

At least some people are doing a better job at "deducing" than I
ever did.

Well done. Impressive!!
Alot better you say?Lol.Even atheists
would laff at your comments here.They have enough sense to realise that
Jesus was a JEW.ALL jews paid tithes.

And to worsen your situation Jesus called gentiles DOGS.Hope you
understand your postion?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by PastorKun(m): 7:11am On Nov 01, 2013
Bidam: Alot better you say?Lol.Even atheists
Jesus was a JEW. ALL jews paid tithes.

understand your postion?

When are you going to stop this deceit the bible is crystal clear that only those who produced from the land or reared animals were required to tithed amongst the Jews.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 7:40am On Nov 01, 2013
Pastor Kun:

When are you going to stop this deceit the bible is crystal clear that only those who produced from the land or reared animals were required to tithed amongst the Jews.
"In tithes and offerings.You are under a curse-THE WHOLE NATION OF YOU-because you are robbing me.(Mal 3:8b-9).
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by DrummaBoy(m): 8:04am On Nov 01, 2013

understand your postion?

First Jesus was a pharisee. Now Jesus was a Jew. The firstrule in integrity is for a man to stand by his words. Even atheist do better. Don't U think?

Edited
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by DrummaBoy(m): 8:24am On Nov 01, 2013

understand your postion?

BTW Bidam are U a Jew? Is ur Pastor a Levite?

U have no basis for paying tithes today neither does ur pastor have a reason to collect tithes. Redeemed gentiles were never reffered to as dogs. U know whom Jesus was speaking to in dat scripture. The people the NT reffered to a dogs are judaizer

2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision (or the cirumcizers). - Phillipians 3:2

The same way that scripture should apply to tithers and those who are bent on binding people to tithe their income; beware of dogs: bewares of pro-tithers!

I hope you grabbed that!

Edited
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 8:45am On Nov 01, 2013
DrummaBoy: first Jesus was a pharisee. Now Jesus was a Jew. The firstbrule in integrity is for a man to stand by his words. Even athesit do better. Dont U think?
And did you see my post deny it May be you do have a problem with comprehension.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 8:47am On Nov 01, 2013
DrummaBoy: bTW Bidam are U a Jew? Is ur Pastor a Levite? U.have ni basis for paying tithes today neither does ur pastor have a bais to collect tithes. Redeemed gentiles wer never reffered to as dogs. U know whom Jesus was speaking to in dat scripture. Thise the nt refered to a dogs are judaizer. Plill 3. Same for those who pay tithes according .to Malachi _ the law
SMH!
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Zikkyy(m): 11:43am On Nov 01, 2013
This thread should have been titled 'the truth ya pastor will not tell you about God's tithe'. To be fair, there is God's tithe and there are 'tithes'. what are you paying?

KunleOshob:
To understand what tithes really means one would have to understand the social reasons and cultural / religious setting within which it was situated this concept of tithes was properly explained in the bible as stated in the laws of the tithe which can be found in the books of Leviticus 27 : 30 – 34, Numbers 18 : 25 – 31 and Deuteronomy 14 : 22 – 29. Upon reading this passages one would understand what tithes really means,....

KunleOshob:
........So what is tithes and why did God request it be paid to the Levites? The answer can be found in the following passages : Leviticus 27 : 30 – 32 which states that “one tenth of the produce of the land, whether grain or fruit belongs to the lord. If a man wishes to buy back any of it he must pay the standard price plus an additional 20 per cent. One in every ten domestic animal belongs to the lord when the animals are counted, every tenth one belongs to the lord.”  And Deuteronomy 26 : 12 which states that “ every third year give the tithe a tenth of your crops to the Levites, the foreigners, the orphans and the widows, so that in every community they will have all they need to eat” The above quoted passages clearly tells us what tithes is and the reason why God directed the people of Israel to pay tithes. It is very evident that it was a social arrangement for the less privileged in the Jewish society of that time, it was also meant to take care of the Levites because they have no land or property of their own.

The above is truly one truth ya pastor will not tell you. God's definition of tithe was clear and the Israelite did not have problem determining what their annual tithe should be. Leviticus 27:30-32 is the only tithe that belonged to God. When God talked about being robbed of his tithe, he was referring to the tithe defined in Leviticus 27:30-32.

God's tithe should not be mistaken for pastoral tithe. they are not the same thing. and am not so sure that God will rebuke the devourer for tithers paying the pastoral version of tithe o! grin see example of the pastoral definition of the tithe below...... grin

Image123:
Tithe just means 1/10, 10% of something.Abraham paid tithes,it was no heave offering.same goes for Jacob.same goes for me.The point is tithe existed b4 the levi covenant.It doesn’t compulsorily have to follow the same pattern or regulation.The tithe that was given to the poor and widows was no heave offering,but it was tithe(1/10).If you decide to pay your tithes today,its simply calculated as 10% of your earning,income,increase,wateva

for people that care to read; God's tithe is not the same as 'tithe' o! (1/10 or 10% of something). when God said he was being robbed, he was not referring to Abraham's tithe, he was not referring to Jacob's tithe and he was not referring to 'tithe' (as described above). God's tithe cannot be 10% of 'wateva' angry this is the basis for prosti.tutes paying 10% of their income from doing 'wateva', the same basis for robbers and yahoo boys (& girls) paying 10% of their takings, same basis for bidam, ola & others paying 10% of their income from 'wateva, dependants pay 10% of their gift or allowances (a.k.a. pocket money), even corrupt politicians pay 10% as tithe. and you see all sort of tithe calculations e.g. 10% of salary after PAYE & other statutory deductions, 10% of gross salary, 10% of net salary after deducting all deductibles grin so who is truly paying God's tithe? the answer is..... nobody. The only group/category of people that pays something resembling God's tithe are people like my man, Joagbaje. The man dey pay 'tithe of tithes' grin though he is still not paying God's tithe.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 12:05pm On Nov 01, 2013
see below
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 12:06pm On Nov 01, 2013
nostalgic. i see zikky is still very busy trying to twist my words till date 01/11/13. hohohohoho

BTW, heard a fellow was/is a dubious lecturer extorting money from students. Hope it is just hearsay sha.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by shdemidemi(m): 12:11pm On Nov 01, 2013
Philippians 2
2 Beware of dogs (Look out for those dogs [Judaizers, legalists]), look out for those mischief-makers, look out for those who mutilate the flesh.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Zikkyy(m): 12:48pm On Nov 01, 2013
Image123:
nostalgic. i see zikky is still very busy trying to twist my words till date 01/11/13.

You dey deny ya post grin

Image123:
BTW, heard a fellow was/is a dubious lecturer extorting money from students. Hope it is just hearsay sha.

is the fellow tithing such income using ya definition income/cash inflow from extortion is tithe-able smiley
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by DrummaBoy(m): 2:09pm On Nov 01, 2013
Bidam: SMH!

You may refer to my edited posts. Apologies for the errors.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by DrummaBoy(m): 2:17pm On Nov 01, 2013
Zikky:

[size=16pt]God's tithe cannot be 10% of whateva. this is the basis for prosti.tutes paying 10% of their income from doing 'wateva', the same basis for robbers and yahoo boys (& girls) paying 10% of their takings, same basis for bidam, ola & others paying 10% of their income from 'wateva, dependants pay 10% of their gift or allowances (a.k.a. pocket money), even corrupt politicians pay 10% as tithe. and you see all sort of tithe calculations e.g. 10% of salary after PAYE & other statutory deductions, 10% of gross salary, 10% of net salary after deducting all deductibles grin so who is truly paying God's tithe? the answer is..... nobody. The only group/category of people that pays something resembling God's tithe are people like my man, Joagbaje. The man dey pay 'tithe of tithes' grin though he is still not paying God's tithe.[/size]

This post is enlarged for all to see; just in case they missed it the first time Zikky posted it.

A million likes for this post!

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 4:16pm On Nov 05, 2013
DrummaBoy:

You may refer to my edited posts. Apologies for the errors.
And why should i? You quoted and manipulated a scripture out of context,forgeting the fact that Apostle Paul was schooled in judaism, a chronic tither and a pharisee of the pharisees.If that is what Paul meant,then am afraid the scripture is also applicable to him.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by DrummaBoy(m): 4:34pm On Nov 05, 2013
Bidam: And why should i? You quoted and manipulated a scripture out of context,f[b]orgeting the fact that Apostle Paul was schooled in judaism, a chronic tither and a pharisee of the pharisees[/b].If that is what Paul meant,then am afraid the scripture is also applicable to him.

In case you did not understand the Phillipians 3 scriptures that described the circumcision group as dogs, refer to this one:

11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed. 12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision. 13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation. 14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, [size=16pt]I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?[/size] 15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, 16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. 17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. 18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. 19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. 20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 21[b] I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.[/b]

And this one:

4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: 5[b] Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; 6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. 7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. 8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ[/b],

9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: 10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; 11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. 12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. 13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Bidam,

Can we with all authority conclude that Paul remained a Pharisee all his life from the above scriputures?

As a bible teacher can you tell us what these scriptures are saying?
[/size]

Other translations of Galatians 2:14

When I saw that they were not following the truth of the gospel message, I said to Peter in front of all the others, “Since you, a Jew by birth, have discarded the Jewish laws and are living like a Gentile, why are you now trying to make these Gentiles follow the Jewish traditions? (NLT)

When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in front of them all, “You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs? (NIV)

But when I saw that they were not fnstraightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in the presence of all, “If you, being a Jew, live like the Gentiles and not like the Jews, how is it that you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews? (NASB)

But when I saw that they do not walk straightforwardly, according to the truth of the glad tidings, I said to Peter before all, If *thou*, being a Jew, livest as the nations and not as the Jews, how dost thou compel the nations to Judaize? (DBY)

These scripture above tell me that Paul rebuked Peter for hypocrisy. That Peter, Paul and other disciples like themselves, who were Jews, after their coming to faith in Christ and comprehending the doctrine of grace, no longer kept the law. They did not tithe, keep sabath and they felt free to associate and eat with gentiles. When Peter saw those dogs (the circumcision) he withdrew and gave the impression he was living like a Jew. Paul rebuked that hypocrisy and made it clear that though they were Jews, they lived like gentiles.

One last point: Barnabas is recorded in scripture to be a levite. Is it written anywhere that he collected tithes from the disciples or that anyone paid tithes to him. This could not happen because like it was mentioned in Galatians 2, Baranabas no longer lived like a Jew and could not collect tithes.

36 And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus, 37 Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

Please note that Baranabas did not collect tithes from anyone. Rather, he sold his land and gave the monies to the disciples, in keeping with the grace of giving God had given the disciples in those days, through free will giving, and not legalized tithing or firstfruits.

If indeed the apostles, though Jews, still lived like Jews or pharisees, Barnabas would have collected tithes and not give out a free will offering.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 5:07pm On Nov 05, 2013
You are just blowing hot air all over the place.My interest was in the pauline epistle you quoted.We all know Paul was circumcised and to please the Jews he circumcised timothy. So your premise is weak.

Am not interested in barnabas.As for the tithes.Paul doesn't collect tithes.He payed tithes.The temple at Jerusalem was not yet destroyed at that time.( Acts 24: 17).

It might do you some good to read the whole account of Acts of the Apostle for better understanding,rather than quote the pauline epistles out of context.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (40) (Reply)

From Pastor To Atheist: Why I Will Never Be A Christian Again / The Doctrine Of The Ufos / Cultism, The Spiritual Consequences And Deliverance Through Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.