Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,858 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

9ice Admits He Has Lost His Place In The Music Industry - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 9ice Admits He Has Lost His Place In The Music Industry (1490 Views)

Top Five Bachelors In The Nigerian Music Industry / 9ice Asking Yemi Alade For Autograph (Photo) / Pic Of Young Banky W Before He Lost His Hair…Lols (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

9ice Admits He Has Lost His Place In The Music Industry by meekas(m): 6:13am On Dec 13, 2012
Last night, i stumbled upon these tweets btw 9ice and a fan on my timeline. Graphic details below;

Re: 9ice Admits He Has Lost His Place In The Music Industry by Series22(m): 8:44am On Dec 13, 2012
Is there any anytin like twittershop?
But actually he has lost place because d 9ice we used 2 knw sings 4 all nigerians (e.g. Street credibilty), but nw he only sings 4 yoruba audience. WTF is Gbamu Gbamu?
Re: 9ice Admits He Has Lost His Place In The Music Industry by Nobody: 9:02am On Dec 13, 2012
He didn't admit anything. He only listened to a concerned fan and asked for an opinion.

I still think BGV was awesome.
Re: 9ice Admits He Has Lost His Place In The Music Industry by basher(m): 9:05am On Dec 13, 2012
Series22: Is there any anytin like twittershop?
But actually he has lost place because d 9ice we used 2 knw sings 4 all nigerians (e.g. Street credibilty), but nw he only sings 4 yoruba audience. WTF is Gbamu Gbamu?

You hit the nail on the head there. Any naija musician that goes too tribal with his lyrics does so at his own peril. To do that, your song has to be very unique with killer beats and an infectious hook (eg gongaso, ashawo rmx, pakurumo). You have to decide wether you want to " represent " your tribe(who will abandon when u fade anyway) or if u want to make music that all nigerians ( and other africans) will understand and enjoy.
Re: 9ice Admits He Has Lost His Place In The Music Industry by Nobody: 9:10am On Dec 13, 2012
I don't think Nigerians need to sing in a language common to all tribes. Osadebe and Fela are celebrated world wide, including in the US, and a lot of people don't understand what they sang. A lot of Flavour's songs are in deep Igbo but he's celebrated all over Africa. Ask an Angolan wetin Flavour dey sing. They'll tell you "I don't know but he's Mr. Sawa Sawa". When people hear good music, they'll listen to it irrespective of language barrier.

If I'm wrong, then tell me why "Gangnam Style" don take over the world lol. If a Korean song can cross nations, then there's no reason why Nigerian music can't cross tribes.

1 Like

Re: 9ice Admits He Has Lost His Place In The Music Industry by basher(m): 10:00am On Dec 13, 2012
ogugua88: I don't think Nigerians need to sing in a language common to all tribes. Osadebe and Fela are celebrated world wide, including in the US, and a lot of people don't understand what they sang. A lot of Flavour's songs are in deep Igbo but he's celebrated all over Africa. Ask an Angolan wetin Flavour dey sing. They'll tell you "I don't know but he's Mr. Sawa Sawa". When people hear good music, they'll listen to it irrespective of language barrier.

If I'm wrong, then tell me why "Gangnam Style" don take over the world lol. If a Korean song can cross nations, then there's no reason why Nigerian music can't cross tribes.

You are missing the point here. Osadebe sang highlife music and fela did a genre of afrobeat that is totally different from the "afrobeat" of psquare and wizkid. Besides, fela didn't go too tribal with his lyric as most of his popular songs carried a lot of pigeon English in the lyric and narative (zombie, lady etc). Also a sizeable amount of fela's popularity was down to his activism, his lifestyle and the antics of his live shows.

If u want to be a traditional, Fuji, juju or highlife musician, then be so and sing in the language that goes best with it and you'll be respected for your uniqueness and originality(and would probably be given a title in your tribe and perform in loads of parties, and with the right people behind u, go international). On the other hand, if u want to be a "commercial afrobeat musician", then u have to appeal to the masses. What do dbanj, p square, wizkid, tuface all have in common? They keep it urban and don't go too tribal.

And please don't start me off on gangam style. You know its a one off just like macarena and Les ketchup before it. No wonder they paired him up with MC hammer to perform in a recent award show; and he didn't get the irony of it?!

1 Like

Re: 9ice Admits He Has Lost His Place In The Music Industry by Series22(m): 11:46am On Dec 13, 2012
basher:

You are missing the point here. Osadebe sang highlife music and fela did a genre of afrobeat that is totally different from the "afrobeat" of psquare and wizkid. Besides, fela didn't go too tribal with his lyric as most of his popular songs carried a lot of pigeon English in the lyric and narative (zombie, lady etc). Also a sizeable amount of fela's popularity was down to his activism, his lifestyle and the antics of his live shows.

If u want to be a traditional, Fuji, juju or highlife musician, then be so and sing in the language that goes best with it and you'll be respected for your uniqueness and originality(and would probably be given a title in your tribe and perform in loads of parties, and with the right people behind u, go international). On the other hand, if u want to be a "commercial afrobeat musician", then u have to appeal to the masses. What do dbanj, p square, wizkid, tuface all have in common? They keep it urban and don't go too tribal.

And please don't start me off on gangam style. You know its a one off just like macarena and Les ketchup before it. No wonder they paired him up with MC hammer to perform in a recent award show; and he didn't get the irony of it?!
your father must b a professional carpenter.. because u just hit d nail on d head.
Re: 9ice Admits He Has Lost His Place In The Music Industry by eastOFwest(m): 1:01pm On Dec 13, 2012
Series22: your father must b a professional carpenter.. because u just hit d nail on d head.

Lol! Him hit the nail so tay him hammer him finger join.

(1) (Reply)

“i’m Not Married” – Nigerian Music Star Tiwa Savage Disclaims Wedding Rumours / 2face Idibia You Mess Up / Sleeping With Producers To Get Roles Is Not In My Diary-biodun Okeowo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.