Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,973 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:08 PM

Nigerian Governors Demand $1 Billion From Excess Crude Account - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Governors Demand $1 Billion From Excess Crude Account (667 Views)

Okonjo-iweala Exposes What States Got From Excess Crude Account / Governors Demand For Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation / Northern Governors Demand Removal Of Rivers Police Commissioner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Governors Demand $1 Billion From Excess Crude Account by karlmax2: 8:15am On Dec 13, 2012
Nigeria’s 36 state governors want a $1 billion payout from the country’s crude oil savings account to fund projects, said Sokoto state Deputy Governor Mukhtar Shagari.
The governors want the federal government to disburse “at least about $1 billion from the excess crude account to help the state governments to meet up with their financial responsibilities as the year is coming to an end, because most of the states have contracts that are ongoing and are very important to the people of this country,” Shagari, who spoke on behalf of the governors, said today in an e-mailed statement from Abuja, the capital.
Nigeria, Africa’s largest oil producer, relies on crude exports for about 95 percent of its foreign-currency earnings and 80 percent of government revenue. The West African country with more than 160 million people saves oil revenue above the benchmark budgeted price in the excess crude account. Its balance stands at $9 billion, Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo- Iweala said on Dec 3.
While a lawsuit filed by the states challenging the federal government’s use of the account’s funds will continue, the governors will continue to hold talks with the government and hope that “perhaps, we may come to some decisions along the way,” Shagari said.

http://mobile.businessweek.com/news/2012-12-12/nigerian-governors-demand-1-billion-from-excess-crude-account
Re: Nigerian Governors Demand $1 Billion From Excess Crude Account by autumnflower(f): 8:20am On Dec 13, 2012
36 billion naira, go to air! Chai, I am starting to contemplate runing for this office.
Re: Nigerian Governors Demand $1 Billion From Excess Crude Account by karlmax2: 8:21am On Dec 13, 2012
Later some ignoramous would accuse GEJ of finnishing the ECA account.I wonder why a lot of nigerians are ignorant this days.the ECA account has always been shared by state and federal government but people don't ask their governors question on how it was spent but are quick to point fingers at the FG depleting the ECA.
Re: Nigerian Governors Demand $1 Billion From Excess Crude Account by kunlekunle: 8:25am On Dec 13, 2012
i dont agree with sharing from the ECA.
it should be tied to a project.
Re: Nigerian Governors Demand $1 Billion From Excess Crude Account by autumnflower(f): 8:35am On Dec 13, 2012
karl max: Later some ignoramous would accuse GEJ of finnishing the ECA account.I wonder why a lot of nigerians are ignorant this days.the ECA account has always been shared by state and federal government but people don't ask their governors question on how it was spent but are quick to point fingers at the FG depleting the ECA.
And what is the work of the FG n GEJ?? Oh yes, just allocate the money to the governors and don't give a dime what they use it for.. Pot calling fying pan black
Re: Nigerian Governors Demand $1 Billion From Excess Crude Account by karlmax2: 8:35am On Dec 13, 2012
kunlekunle: i dont agree with sharing from the ECA.
it should be tied to a project.
I agree with you on this but would the governors agree. They have been sharing this money since and nigerians called GEJ all sorts of name they claimed his the one that finished the ECA is one of the early corruption charges against the man during the election period.people should learn to take note of how much the FG,state,and local government share Every year.instead some people pay attention on the FG's share, most people don't even knw how much their state get from the federation account.and the FG publish this figures anytime they share this money with the state.
Re: Nigerian Governors Demand $1 Billion From Excess Crude Account by karlmax2: 8:43am On Dec 13, 2012
autumn.flower:

And what is the work of the FG n GEJ?? Oh yes, just allocate the money to the governors and don't give a dime what they use it for.. Pot calling fying pan black
so after publishing the amount shared with the states u want the FG to monitor them on how they use it Smh.so what is the work of the state assembly? And if I may ask what is ur role as a good citizen of ur state? Am sure u don't even knw how much ur state get from the federation. U want the federal goverment to do the work of the state assembly and the citizens of that state.the last I checked the state house of assemble is there as check for the state governors not the GEJ!
Re: Nigerian Governors Demand $1 Billion From Excess Crude Account by autumnflower(f): 9:50am On Dec 13, 2012
What you suggesting, because I am a good citizen, I'll march to the governors office and ask him how he's using the money allocated to the state?
So because the state whatever is responsible to keep them in check, the FG and GEJ should just bone them.
Let me ask you a simple question, do you have a business you run? Just because you have employees that are assigned a task, does it mean you don't check on them to see if they actually did it right?
No wonder nigeria is the way it is, do your own I do mine, as long as you don't poke your nose into my business everything is good.. How do you expect to move foward with this kind of mentality!?
Re: Nigerian Governors Demand $1 Billion From Excess Crude Account by FrankC3: 11:08am On Dec 13, 2012
autumn.flower:
What you suggesting, because I am a good citizen, I'll march to the governors office and ask him how he's using the money allocated to the state?
So because the state whatever is responsible to keep them in check, the FG and GEJ should just bone them.
Let me ask you a simple question, do you have a business you run? Just because you have employees that are assigned a task, does it mean you don't check on them to see if they actually did it right?
No wonder nigeria is the way it is, do your own I do mine, as long as you don't poke your nose into my business everything is good.. How do you expect to move foward with this kind of mentality!?
My friend, your argument is heavily dozed with ignorance of the workings of democracy. YOU and YOUR State Assembly have the responsibility to hold your governor accountable, not the FG. They are the Federating units, remember, and not FG's offspring. They control their budget, expenditures, judiciary and legislature. It is your job to ask your State governor questions, not FG's.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Governors Demand $1 Billion From Excess Crude Account by autumnflower(f): 11:16am On Dec 13, 2012
And how many have you asked yours?
Re: Nigerian Governors Demand $1 Billion From Excess Crude Account by karlmax2: 11:35am On Dec 13, 2012
autumn.flower:
keep waiting for Gej to come and do the job of people u voted for!.
Re: Nigerian Governors Demand $1 Billion From Excess Crude Account by kunlekunle: 2:41pm On Dec 13, 2012
karl max: I agree with you on this but would the governors agree. They have been sharing this money since and nigerians called GEJ all sorts of name they claimed his the one that finished the ECA is one of the early corruption charges against the man during the election period.people should learn to take note of how much the FG,state,and local government share Every year.instead some people pay attention on the FG's share, most people don't even knw how much their state get from the federation account.and the FG publish this figures anytime they share this money with the state.

he should bring them to the public and announce what he intended doing with the money.
And ask the public to judge it.
Re: Nigerian Governors Demand $1 Billion From Excess Crude Account by autumnflower(f): 7:40am On Dec 14, 2012
Just what I thought. None of you has held your state governors accountable.. hypocrites.
Re: Nigerian Governors Demand $1 Billion From Excess Crude Account by PointB: 7:47am On Dec 14, 2012
kunlekunle:

he should bring them to the public and announce what he intended doing with the money.
And ask the public to judge it.

And the public will do exactly what?

Anyway, how about this current 'sharing' that has gone public? Let me ready my popcorn and drink to watch what the 'almighty public' will do to stop this sharing engineered by the governors! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Governors Demand $1 Billion From Excess Crude Account by kunlekunle: 10:59am On Dec 14, 2012
PointB:

And the public will do exactly what?

Anyway, how about this current 'sharing' that has gone public? Let me ready my popcorn and drink to watch what the 'almighty public' will do to stop this sharing engineered by the governors! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin

he goes for citizen initiative,
gather 200 technocrats and asked them to propose projects benefitial to citizens.
the action gradually exposes any opposing gov and aligns GEJ with the public.

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOSPEAK: Late Governor Yakowa Honoured In Bayelsa This Morning / Golden Eagle Snatches Kid’ Video Fools The Internet / Merry Christmas To Osun People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.