Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,667 members, 7,820,343 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts - Investment (3342) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts (10904159 Views)

Nigerian Stocks To Buy - 2024 Best Performing Stocks / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3339) (3340) (3341) (3342) (3343) (3344) (3345) ... (7758) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by robobo: 6:15pm On Mar 23, 2018
RabbiDoracle:

Is this market marking (MM) not manipulation?

Season 2.

Market Making is not peculiar to a stock. i think its something put in place by NSE for every stock (kindly correct me if i am wrong) so it doesnt convey any advantage on any stock, however im not sure if this is same practice on other exchange. My personal opinion is that it distort price discovery , just like the 5% movement range.

however that is my personal opinion but since its something that is put in place by NSE itself i wld just have to live with it if i want to play in the market.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Agbalowomeri: 6:15pm On Mar 23, 2018
currentprice:
Custodian best performance so far, but it is in insurance sector embarassed Selling at 170% discount to current price.
grin

That coy will sell for 8 naira in max a year; that is the kind of performance that brought it all the way from 1.2 to 4.

Disclosure; not interested in the coy. You need extra muscles of patience with this coy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by currentprice: 6:18pm On Mar 23, 2018
Agbalowomeri:

That coy will sell for 8 naira in max a year; that is the kind of performance that brought it all the way from 1.2 to 4.

Disclosure; not interested in the coy. You need extra muscles of patience with this coy

I agree. If the performance is for real. Custodian have no place below 10

grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 6:29pm On Mar 23, 2018
robobo:

How do u mean nonsense result

would appr8 if u are precise which part (or is it whole) is nonsense so we can all learn

for me the Op exp is quite high and it is a negative

however unlike ur statement this bank was able to generate MORE of its revenue from traditional banking (i.e. lending, i.e. NI after impairment) and even grew same compared to last year by abt 27% (174b compared to 137b). Trading income (TBILLS and FX derivative) cant be said to be major at 49b (2017; 43b- 2016) versus 174b from NI and is even more stable in comparision to last year figure .

i think UBA shld be able to sustain this result going ahead (bar any surprise from impairment)

wld appr8 ur pespective.

n.b im here and not intending to either buy or sell at current price range wld rather collect my dividend and see how scenario unfolds going forward which might change my perspective

When doing comparisons like this, don't look at figures only. Convert it into percentages.

Example : Do the following

Parameters 2017. 2016
Ratio of PBT/net interest income
Ratio of PBT/net int. Income after impairment
Ratio of PAT/ net interest income

Etc.

With ratios you will be able to see percentage differences rather than just looking at figures in billions.

I understand that there is no distortion in trading income and impairment as could be seen in other banks.

Use percentages and tell.me what you see.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ogedanny: 6:29pm On Mar 23, 2018
We have launched a live stockmarket chatroom for everyone to follow live trades and analysis from top traders.

Click here - http://nigerianstockstobuy.com/stock-market-nigeria-forum/
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by robobo: 6:31pm On Mar 23, 2018
currentprice:

I agree. If the performance is for real. Custodian have no place below 10

grin

That is the discipline the likes of Ade Ojo (Elizade ) can bring into a coy. im not sure if he is still there though

my phobia for insurance didnt make me pay it too much attention which might change soon if i get the time to scan through its books for some years back

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 6:34pm On Mar 23, 2018
robobo:

Market Making is not peculiar to a stock. i think its something put in place by NSE for every stock (kindly correct me if i am wrong) so it doesnt convey any advantage on any stock, however im not sure if this is same practice on other exchange. My personal opinion is that it distort price discovery , just like the 5% movement range.

however that is my personal opinion but since its something that is put in place by NSE itself i wld just have to live with it if i want to play in the market.

It distorts the market. You don't get to have a good view of the market when they release rubbish results. If you release results that are not ok, market should fall. But the reverse happens.

I don pack my pillow well to sleep and snore.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by robobo: 6:39pm On Mar 23, 2018
RabbiDoracle:

When doing comparisons like this, don't look at figures only. Convert it into percentages.

Example : Do the following

Parameters 2017. 2016
Ratio of PBT/net interest income
Ratio of PBT/net int. Income after impairment
Ratio of PAT/ net interest income

Etc.

With ratios you will be able to see percentage differences rather than just looking at figures in billions.

I understand that there is no distortion in trading income and impairment as could be seen in other banks.

Use percentages and tell.me what you see.

as said earlier wld take a deeper look at the big four later (9-5 job is quite tasking). for now just looking at the obvious (figures) and noting key take aways (which cld change with deeper dive). that is why i said i wld appr8 ur perspective.

However as u am also concern by the sustainability of the banks profit going forward that is why my quick check is zeroing in on the key line income NI vs Trading (tbills and fx derivative) as a rough guage of how sustainable their result are
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 6:46pm On Mar 23, 2018
robobo:

as said earlier wld take a deeper look at the big four later (9-5 job is quite tasking). for now just looking at the obvious (figures) and noting key take aways (which cld change with deeper dive). that is why i said i wld appr8 ur perspective.

However as u am also concern by the sustainability of the banks profit going forward that is why my quick check is zeroing in on the key line income NI vs Trading (tbills and fx derivative) as a rough guage of how sustainable their result are

Just use ratios and not jusyt looking at the figures. Even if you are working, a ratio computation will do to understand.

We will see how it trades tomorrow.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Coolcash1: 6:49pm On Mar 23, 2018
RabbiDoracle:

Just use ratios and not jusyt looking at the figures. Even if you are working, a ratio computation will do to understand.

We will see how it trades tomorrow.

Bros, you too like money no market tomorrow nah till Monday....go play with madam this weekend grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 6:58pm On Mar 23, 2018
If these banks (Access and UBA) are like this, what will be the fate of the tier 2 banks?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 6:59pm On Mar 23, 2018
Coolcash1:

Bros, you too like money no market tomorrow nah till Monday....go play with madam this weekend grin

grin grin thanks jare. My head just full with work.

See my life.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by robobo: 7:01pm On Mar 23, 2018
RabbiDoracle:
If these banks (Access and UBA) are like this, what will be the fate of the tier 2 banks?

i dont do tier 2 (they ve taught me enough lesson) grin

so i dont really care for the results for now

except something extra ordinary happens in that space

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by TLAX: 7:08pm On Mar 23, 2018
ogedanny:
We have launched a live stockmarket chatroom for everyone to follow live trades and analysis from top traders.

Click here - http://nigerianstockstobuy.com/stock-market-nigeria-forum/

@Bolded....Noise to be avoided by all means to maintain sanity and actually make money from this market.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 7:08pm On Mar 23, 2018
robobo:

i dont do tier 2 (they ve taught me enough lesson) grin

so i dont really care for the results for now

except something extra ordinary happens in that space

Since we are small money players, na tier 2 be our home o. So na to wait for them at 80kobo and hammer.

Una wey dey trade in billions can continue in your tier 1.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by TLAX: 7:10pm On Mar 23, 2018
robobo:

That is the discipline the likes of Ade Ojo (Elizade ) can bring into a coy. im not sure if he is still there though

my phobia for insurance didnt make me pay it too much attention which might change soon if i get the time to scan through its books for some years back

@Bolded....Discipline really? What happened to his own company RT Briscoe? How did it turn out? He is still in Custodian though.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by TLAX: 7:17pm On Mar 23, 2018
robobo:

Banks with street smart managers will make money most of the times because they see opportunities many seasons before others do. In 2016 they made money on FX and people were concerned about 2017. In 2017 they made money from Govt. securities and people are concerned about 2018. In 2018 they will most probably make money from loans granted to the premium borrowers while the usual laggards will come mid year or last quarter and create loans that will go bad.

In business school, they thought me to take courses based on professors and not course contents. Forget the bank names and invest in managers that have a track record and system of making money in this market. If they stumble, it will hardly be material.

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by robobo: 7:21pm On Mar 23, 2018
TLAX:

@Bolded....Discipline really? What happened to his own company RT Briscoe? How did it turn out? He is still in Custodian though.

RT briscoe was a competitor i think he bought in other to kill it for his cash cow Toyota Nigeria continue to thrive (my take from hindsight i cld b wrong though) jst as accused of coca cola did to some local bottling companies some few years back

the downside is, if that is what he truly did he wnt b losing anything cos as an insider he must have taking advantage to get his share of the dying coy and those who suffer wld be minority shareholder.

my knowledge here is limited (cos RT Briscoe had never been of interest to me so i had never paid it more than a passing look) so you might as well be right

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by robobo: 7:34pm On Mar 23, 2018
RabbiDoracle:

Since we are small money players, na tier 2 be our home o. So na to wait for them at 80kobo and hammer.

Una wey dey trade in billions can continue in your tier 1.

my chief
where the billion dey?

but i claim am.

my running from tier 2 is from previous experience (cos of their immunity to all known projection)
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by dipoolowoo: 7:37pm On Mar 23, 2018
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by robobo: 7:41pm On Mar 23, 2018
TLAX:

Banks with street smart managers will make money most of the times because they see opportunities many seasons before others do. In 2016 they made money on FX and people were concerned about 2017. In 2017 they made money from Govt. securities and people are concerned about 2018. In 2018 they will most probably make money from loans granted to the premium borrowers while the usual laggards will come mid year or last quarter and create loans that will go bad.

In business school, they thought me to take courses based on professors and not course contents. Forget the bank names and invest in managers that have a track record and system of making money in this market. If they stumble, it will hardly be material.

i totally agree with you smart bank managers wld always make u money

however next meal might already be cooking from corporate bonds (e.g. Dangote is already preparing a 300b meal) the small snag is spread might come with some risk and not as wide as former FG Tbills
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:46pm On Mar 23, 2018
TLAX:

He is not the owner of RT Briscoe, he worked as a sales man at RT Briscoe between 1968 and 1970 before starting Elizade motors in 1970.

Chief Ade Ojo is far bigger than RT Briscoe as we speak. He currently owns 925 million units of Custodian and Allied insurance shares, a dividend of about N266 Million from just a company is more than enough to have a great Easter

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ukay2: 7:49pm On Mar 23, 2018
UBA....for me performed better than ACCESS......65k dividend and good figures.......i go chop this dividend wella......

.....Zenith bank......Best performer for the year 2017

Meanwhile.....BRENT CRUDE OIL NOW $70.2...now $70.45

AS PA Wanajo said.......we are making more money this year.....No mind Election noises
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Agbalowomeri: 7:52pm On Mar 23, 2018
robobo:

RT briscoe was a competitor i think he bought in other to kill it for his cash cow Toyota Nigeria continue to thrive (my take from hindsight i cld b wrong though) jst as accused of coca cola did to some local bottling companies some few years back

the downside is, if that is what he truly did he wnt b losing anything cos as an insider he must have taking advantage to get his share of the dying coy and those who suffer wld be minority shareholder.

my knowledge here is limited (cos RT Briscoe had never been of interest to me so i had never paid it more than a passing look) so you might as well be right

Una dey try gan o; to dey follow all these companies with every piece of information
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:58pm On Mar 23, 2018
robobo:

The man is now close to 80 years, he is represented on the board by his son.

He is also in Eterna oil and Meristem group ( stock brokers, Registrars, Trustees, Asset management, investment banking) and a lot of unquoted investments that are generating steady cash.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by robobo: 8:02pm On Mar 23, 2018
emmanuelewumi:
The man is now close to 80 years, he is represented on the board by his son.

He is also in Eterna oil and Meristem group ( stock brokers, Registrars, Trustees, Asset management, investment banking) and a lot of unquoted investments that are generating steady cash.

ok thanks for the info
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:07pm On Mar 23, 2018
L
robobo:

. Toyota Nigeria limited is different from RT Briscoe, I just learnt that Ade Ojo divested from RT Briscoe some few years ago when he couldn't agree with other major shareholders on the way forward for the company.

These other major shareholders were Investment bankers and portfolio managers.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:13pm On Mar 23, 2018
Agbalowomeri:

Una dey try gan o; to dey follow all these companies with every piece of information

We invest on the basis of relevant information and not just on the basis o price movement

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Agbalowomeri: 8:14pm On Mar 23, 2018
emmanuelewumi:

We invest on the basis of relevant information and not just on the basis o price movement

I dobale o; Me no sabi anybody anywhere so make I stick to my price movement grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by robobo: 8:14pm On Mar 23, 2018
emmanuelewumi:
L. Toyota Nigeria limited is different from RT Briscoe, I just learnt that Ade Ojo divested from RT Briscoe some few years ago when he couldn't agree with other major shareholders on the way forward for the company.

These other major shareholders were Investment bankers and portfolio managers.

More like his antecedent that i am aware of.

parting ways must have been due to his insistence on doing what is right for d company (hence take longer time to make money) unlike the investment banks and portfiolio managers that wld want quick money which might have eventually kill the coy.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by TLAX: 8:16pm On Mar 23, 2018
emmanuelewumi:

He is not the owner of RT Briscoe, he worked as a sales man at RT Briscoe between 1968 and 1970 before starting Elizade motors in 1970.

Chief Ade Ojo is far bigger than RT Briscoe as we speak. He currently owns 925 million units of Custodian and Allied insurance shares, a dividend of about N266 Million from just a company is more than enough to have a great Easter

Chief Adeojo owns over 22% of RT Briscoe through MikeAde Investments. He is largest individual shareholder and is represented on the board by his daughter Adeola Ade-Ojo.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by TLAX: 8:17pm On Mar 23, 2018
emmanuelewumi:

Correct!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (3339) (3340) (3341) (3342) (3343) (3344) (3345) ... (7758) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: meholo, defebe, drotba(m), Diyke4rich, Jonwest, LordAdam16, beejay1(m), TsarZed, Excellent7(m), KarlTom, bbduty, Mfunkynation(m), Toluway, lionshare, otomatic(m), sterlingD(m) and 20 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.