Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,613 members, 7,813,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:49 AM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts - Investment (7701) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts (10851689 Views)

Nigerian Stocks To Buy - 2024 Best Performing Stocks / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7698) (7699) (7700) (7701) (7702) (7703) (7704) ... (7743) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by yMcy56(f): 8:07pm On Apr 12
emmaodet:
Madam Mercy, please how do you identify a cross deal
* I think there are indicators when Cross Deals are made......BUT not open to users or individuals using iTrade.
* Maybe some houses flag this, I don't know.
* For those that monitors trades during trading hours, you can identify it when you see unusual volumes and figures in a particular stock...

* ZENITH, GT, MTN and few others traded in billions of Naira today with unusual volumes (that are ordinarily more than the total bid or offer in market), these are Cross Deals.

* If you're a regular trader, I think it's much easier to identify cross deals, especially when a stock is in demand/full bid and trades are being executed without the queue moving or you getting your fill if your bid is among the top on the queue....it happened in OANDO today.......the qty may not be big but would still be cross deals as well.

* Na my own little understanding be this.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by yMcy56(f): 8:11pm On Apr 12
WestPB:
Please, how do you get to know that particular deal was done off market, after all it was available on the trade deal list of GTCO
* OFF MARKET DEALS does not pass thru trading engine
* You can get to know this thru your broker or news
* If you're a Morgan customer, you can see information on this in the news section.
* Try and be checking it from time to time
* Na the little I know be this.
* Any other person knowledgeable should enlighten us the more

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by yMcy56(f): 8:25pm On Apr 12
SonofElElyonRet:

Good opportunity... methinks one has to set limits to number of stocks.. like a target number.. otherwise oju kokoro can make somebody keep buying and buying until you no longer have disposable income remaining grin
* Every stock is not for everybody....
In as much as you have your objectives well defined and you have your preferred stocks with reasons for doing so, no qualms.

* Some long termers and regular income investors will cherish this kind of stock while traders/liquidity chasers may not.

* Since there are different set of investors here, then there'll be divers kinds of posts like this that suits different needs.

* I just type wetin comes to my mind. smiley

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Streetinvestor2: 8:47pm On Apr 12
ositadima1:

Based on my understanding, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) wants banks to have huge reserves of a specific kind in order to be able to absorb shocks if any were to happen. If this raised fund is to satisfy the CBN's request, then know that the fund will not contribute much to the growth of the bank.

I don't think u are right. It is capital base of 500 billion and not supposed to be idle fund to be kept just at cbn vault.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by unite4real: 8:57pm On Apr 12
Zenith bank to double outstanding shares to about 62.7B units

That Clause 6 of the Company's Memorandum of Association and Clause 9 of the Company's Articles of Association be and are hereby
amended to reflect the new share capital of N31,396,493,787 (Thirty One Billion, Three Hundred and Ninety Six Million, Four Hundred and
Ninety Three Thousand, Seven Hundred and Eighty Seven Naira) by the creation of the addition of up to 31,396,493,787 (Thirty One Billion,
Three Hundred and Ninety Six Million, Four Hundred and Ninety Three Thousand, Seven Hundred and Eighty Seven) ordinary shares of
N0.50 Kobo each ranking pari‑passu with the existing ordinary shares of the Company bringing the total issued shares of the Company to
62,792,987,574 (Six Two Billion, Seven Hundred and Ninety Two Million, Nine Hundred and Eighty Seven Thousand, Five Hundred and
seventy Four) ordinary shares of N0.50 Kobo each.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Streetinvestor2: 8:59pm On Apr 12
Locotrader:

Right issue means dilution.
44B os.May God help Gtb to generate more revenue in this 2024.if not, eps will reduce drastically and interim dividend may not take place as usual.Banks share prices will peak during these fund raising exercise, next is OYO.Dividend payments at the mercy of CBN.i see huge declines in 2024 financial end for banks but other battered sectors will be recuperating by year end.....
Yes it could be right issues but not bonus shares. Therefore it means new fund to the banks.It is now how the bank can equally translate this new fund to increase revenue/profits to shareholders bearing in mind that it comes with increased os too.Gtbank has shown efficiency in managing fund therefore I believe it will still come out with good results even with new os

Some other banks ceos may swallow the fund in dubious transactions,loans and administrative expenses. The like of fbn na baba in this regards.

I still believe equity financing is better for banks than debt financing to raise this new capital requirements
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mpeace(m): 9:03pm On Apr 12
unite4real:

That Clause 6 of the Company's Memorandum of Association and Clause 9 of the Company's Articles of Association be and are hereby
amended to reflect the new share capital of N31,396,493,787 (Thirty One Billion, Three Hundred and Ninety Six Million, Four Hundred and
Ninety Three Thousand, Seven Hundred and Eighty Seven Naira) by the creation of the addition of up to 31,396,493,787 (Thirty One Billion,
Three Hundred and Ninety Six Million, Four Hundred and Ninety Three Thousand, Seven Hundred and Eighty Seven) ordinary shares of
N0.50 Kobo each ranking pari‑passu with the existing ordinary shares of the Company bringing the total issued shares of the Company to
62,792,987,574 (Six Two Billion, Seven Hundred and Ninety Two Million, Nine Hundred and Eighty Seven Thousand, Five Hundred and
Lol. Transcorp go just dey laugh all of una. Shebi una say 40billion is too much OS. Ngwa nu.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Streetinvestor2: 9:10pm On Apr 12
unite4real:

I believe after the recapitalisation. You will see reconstruction of shares too with the minimal value changing to something above all this #.50kobo thing like we see on some stocks here
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by unite4real: 9:10pm On Apr 12
Mpeace:
Lol. Transcorp go just dey laugh all of una. Shebi una say 40billion is too much OS. Ngwa nu.

Why am I having this feeling that one particular bank will upgrade their OS close to 80B.

GTB and Zenith have led the way of what the banks intend to do.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by phadriz(m): 9:35pm On Apr 12
Cross deal can only be done by a broker, it also passes through the trading machine, but it not thrown to the open market. Take for example Mr A give a sale order of 1,000 units of Transcorp and Mr B give a purchase order 5,000 unit of Transcorp to Morgan capital and the stock is on full bid. The broker will internally sell the stocks to Mr B within the current price range.

It also happen in a situation where volume of trade has been agreed BTW two parties at a predetermined rate within the price range.
The main thing to note is that it won't be thrown to the open market for queue.

emmaodet:

Madam Mercy, please how do you identify a cross deal
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by DUNKA(m): 10:33pm On Apr 12
2 questions please

1. Which Banks may likely not survive the current enforced recapitalization by the CBN?

2. Currently what is the best investment vehicle for short to mid term funds? ie 3 to 6 months time frame
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chillykelly86(m): 10:44pm On Apr 12
BabsO2:

Look at page 57 the line item for Additional Tier 1 Capital
Look at page 204 note c(ii)

The AFS has no misstatement.

But the computation of BVPS of N70 is a misstatement. As that is not net assets a common NGX shareholder is entitled to.

Ok. I understand your point now. If a company has preference shares, that component of equity should be discounted before calculating the book value per common share. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmaodet: 11:49pm On Apr 12
phadriz:
Cross deal can only be done by a broker, it also passes through the trading machine, but it not thrown to the open market. Take for example Mr A give a sale order of 1,000 units of Transcorp and Mr B give a purchase order 5,000 unit of Transcorp to Morgan capital and the stock is on full bid. The broker will internally sell the stocks to Mr B within the current price range.

It also happen in a situation where volume of trade has been agreed BTW two parties at a predetermined rate within the price range.

Thanks very much
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Omooloriredade: 12:30am On Apr 13
unite4real:

ositadima1:

Based on my understanding, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) wants banks to have huge reserves of a specific kind in order to be able to absorb shocks if any were to happen. If this raised fund is to satisfy the CBN's request, then know that the fund will not contribute much to the growth of the bank.

OS = Outstanding shares (issued and fully paid for by shareholders). It has a nominal unit of 50k for most companies listed on the NGX.

Authorised share capital = Max capital that company is authorised to issue to shareholders. Since nominal units are 50k each in this case, you would double this figure to get the allowable amount of shares the company can issue or sell to investors.

Neither GTB or Zenith has issued the additional shares created to raise capital. However, they will be doing so to meet the new CBN requirements. Other bans

Please note that it is not necessary for a bank to issue all shares created from raised the authorised share capital. For example, the additional 31B odd shares created by Zenith will fetch the bank over N900B (if they sold them at N30 per share) far above the CBN requirement of N500B and without considering the current paid in capital of N200B +. The other banks will follow suit. This is not a GT or Zenith bank issue.

Saying capital raised will not enhance growth is grossly incorrect as well. The CBN didn't want organically raised fund i.e profit capitalised, retained earnings used to meet this requirement. An inorganic means is preferred I.e tap the owners of the bank (shareholders) to put in more money into their business.

Back to authorised share capital and providing another example of the relationship btw authorised share capital and issued fully paid capital. A company can't issue bonus if it has maxed out its auth. Share capital. So before issuing bonus, you would often see companies raising the share capital i.e creating new shares (if they didn't have spare capacity) from which a bonus distribution can be made.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 12:36am On Apr 13
Streetinvestor2:
I don't think u are right. It is capital base of 500 billion and not supposed to be idle fund to be kept just at cbn vault.

It is common sense that the capital raise is about enhancing the bank's ability to withstand potential shocks and maintain financial stability, as per the CBN's requirements. This raised money cannot be used for growth and serve as a buffer at the same time.

As a business person who is invested in a high-risk business, if you set aside some money to support your business in bad times, would you then go and use that money to try to make more gains? Does that make sense to you?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by WestPB: 6:58am On Apr 13
yMcy56:

* OFF MARKET DEALS does not pass thru trading engine
* You can get to know this thru your broker or news
* If you're a Morgan customer, you can see information on this in the news section.
* Try and be checking it from time to time
* Na the little I know be this.
* Any other person knowledgeable should enlighten us the more

Thanks. I trade with Morgan capital though, but news section Url can rarely be click on to reveal a full details of news aside if copied and pasted in other internet browser
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Kwibaba(m): 7:31am On Apr 13
ositadima1:

It is common sense that the capital raise is about enhancing the bank's ability to withstand potential shocks and maintain financial stability, as per the CBN's requirements. This raised money cannot be used for growth and serve as a buffer at the same time.

As a business person who is invested in a high-risk business, if you set aside some money to support your business in bad times, would you then go and use that money to try to make more gains? Does that make sense to you?

What if the money is used in risk free investments to make more gain?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Kwibaba(m): 7:38am On Apr 13
ositadima1:

I also do not agree that it is common sense that those are the only 2 objectives of the recapitalization. What happened to the plan of 1 trillion economy of the govt? How do they achieve that by staching money away?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 8:24am On Apr 13
Kwibaba:

What if the money is used in risk free investments to make more gain?

CBN would likely want to see a clear separation between the bank's operating capital and the defensive, non-discretionary capital buffer.

Again, the primary purpose of the capital buffer is to provide a cushion against unexpected losses and shocks, not to generate returns. Deploying that capital, even in "low-risk" investments, means it is not fully available to serve its core intended function.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 8:28am On Apr 13
Omooloriredade:

Please note that it is not necessary for a bank to issue all shares created from raised the authorised share capital. For example, the additional 31B odd shares created by Zenith will fetch the bank over N900B (if they sold them at N30 per share) far above the CBN requirement of N500B and without considering the current paid in capital of N200B +. The other banks will follow suit. This is not a GT or Zenith bank issue.

At least you agree with me that we are likely to see a significant drop in shares. undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chillykelly86(m): 9:09am On Apr 13
ositadima1:

Bro, you need to admit you're wrong here. Any business that has funds they could use but decides to put them in a box doesn't have a business running a business. For banks, except for CRR, they can use any funds at their disposal to make money, even all the "reserves". It's not like they keep them in a "safe" for stability. They will always usually have liquidity in cash, by the very nature of their business but that's simply because the business requires that to run smoothly. Bottomline is, any capital raised will surely be used to make more money.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chillykelly86(m): 9:15am On Apr 13
ositadima1:

CBN would likely want to see a clear separation between the bank's operating capital and the defensive, non-discretionary capital buffer.

Again, the primary purpose of the capital buffer is to provide a cushion against unexpected losses and shocks, not to generate returns. Deploying that capital, even in "low-risk" investments, means it is not fully available to serve its core intended function.

The cushion you're referring to is in the banks books, not in CBN vault. What you're saying has no precedent, even in the banking sector. There have been banking sector consolidation and recapitalization in the past. The raised funds weren't deposited with the CBN. CBN hasn't indicated that the raised funds will be deposited with them. I will need all the experts in the world to explain the rational of such a decision and reconcile it with their stated purpose of preparing the banks to participate in big ticket transactions and for a $1 trillion economy.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Agbalowomeri: 9:33am On Apr 13
Waiting for Zenith bank at 10
Una grammar nor concern me😂

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Choiceguy: 9:39am On Apr 13
Agbalowomeri:
Waiting for Zenith bank at 10
Una grammar nor concern me😂

grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nvednutfr33(m): 9:55am On Apr 13
Good Morning Sirs and Mas
Please I got some shares via afriinvestor 2.0 & InvestNaija. Pls how do I go about ensuring I get dividends? Thanks so much
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Prolificlife(f): 9:56am On Apr 13
Sir i need clarification on this. Is it within the current price range for the day trading or on the price the stock is selling at? Because i recall, trying to consolidate my Nahco, I sent a mail and ask for a cross deal at N30+ however my broker said they cannot intervene and did it N33.80
phadriz:

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Streetinvestor2: 10:18am On Apr 13
ositadima1:

You are wrong. They are raising thr capital base for business and not money to be keep in any vault. This has been done in the past by cbn instructions. The idea this time by cbn is for naija banks to be able to participate in bigger transactions without putting depositors funds at risk.like seriously you believe they are to raise Billions of naira to be kept under lock....haba bro.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 10:23am On Apr 13
chillykelly86:

The cushion you're referring to is in the banks books, not in CBN vault. What you're saying has no precedent, even in the banking sector. There have been banking sector consolidation and recapitalization in the past. The raised funds weren't deposited with the CBN. CBN hasn't indicated that the raised funds will be deposited with them. I will need all the experts in the world to explain the rational of such a decision and reconcile it with their stated purpose of preparing the banks to participate in big ticket transactions and for a $1 trillion economy.

I am not a banker, but my argument is based on common sense and knowledge from general engineering and personal safety practices. Why do people keep a spare tire in good condition and in their car at all times? Why do they keep pressure on the gauge for their fire extinguisher? Why do large contracting firms require a contractor to have sufficient backup capital before taking on a project? Why do banks request collateral before issuing loans? The list goes on.

The core point is that having a adequate reserve or buffer is a fundamental risk management practice across various industries. It's not about keeping the funds in a literal "safe" or box, but rather maintaining a pool of capital that can be accessed if needed, without directly tying it to current operations or growth initiatives.

In the case of banks, most of the capital they raise will likely not contribute to their growth in the short term. However, it will indirectly support the bank's stability and resilience, which can then help attract investors over the long run. The reserve capital serves as a crucial safety net, even if it is not being actively deployed for immediate business expansion.

The analogy to personal safety practices, like keeping a spare tire, highlights how reserve capital functions - it's not meant to be consumed for regular use, but is there as a contingency measure to draw upon if circumstances require it. Maintaining an appropriate level of buffer capital, while also utilizing funds for growth, is the balanced approach that banks need to strike.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Bizibi(m): 10:25am On Apr 13
emmanuelewumi:

Consider the average 5 years trend, profitability of the business and earning quality.

Instead of dropping in a screener, I will do it manually for stocks on my watchlist.

Some of the stocks that appeared on the screener are dead.

Capital intensity of a business is also dependent on the industry. You can't compares the capital intensity of Julius Berger with that APR
dr Emma please I will like to know your opinion on ellahlake and jaizbank. They are good entities and I see prospects in them for the next 15 years.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 10:44am On Apr 13
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Utalinmou: 11:22am On Apr 13
ositadima1:

I am not a banker, but my argument is based on common sense and knowledge from general engineering and personal safety practices. Why do people keep a spare tire in good condition and in their car at all times? Why do they keep pressure on the gauge for their fire extinguisher? Why do large contracting firms require a contractor to have sufficient backup capital before taking on a project? Why do banks request collateral before issuing loans? The list goes on.

The core point is that having a adequate reserve or buffer is a fundamental risk management practice across various industries. It's not about keeping the funds in a literal "safe" or box, but rather maintaining a pool of capital that can be accessed if needed, without directly tying it to current operations or growth initiatives.

In the case of banks, most of the capital they raise will likely not contribute to their growth in the short term. However, it will indirectly support the bank's stability and resilience, which can then help attract investors over the long run. The reserve capital serves as a crucial safety net, even if it is not being actively deployed for immediate business expansion.

The analogy to personal safety practices, like keeping a spare tire, highlights how reserve capital functions - it's not meant to be consumed for regular use, but is there as a contingency measure to draw upon if circumstances require it. Maintaining an appropriate level of buffer capital, while also utilizing funds for growth, is the balanced approach that banks need to strike.

leave story
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chillykelly86(m): 12:42pm On Apr 13
ositadima1:

Bro, believe whatever suits you. I no get strength for this back and forth.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7698) (7699) (7700) (7701) (7702) (7703) (7704) ... (7743) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: RichEstate(m), LordAdam16, Hedgefunds and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.