Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? (12173 Views)

Nature Of Funerals In Igboland. / Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? / Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by samfibby(m): 6:58pm On Dec 13, 2012
Would you rather they come to the funeral with empty stomach and go back empty. Please ask better question.
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by paranorman(m): 6:58pm On Dec 13, 2012
Personally,i dont buy d idea of partying in burial ceremony. This's very c'mon among d yorubas,i am one. D money spent doin such could have bn diverted into sumtin beta...

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by omiobo: 6:58pm On Dec 13, 2012
Funeral is a ceremony to celebrate a departed life.
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Christine01(f): 7:00pm On Dec 13, 2012
People go all the way to cook,buy drinks and even share souvenirs so as not to portray the family as been poor.
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by tajulasblog(f): 7:02pm On Dec 13, 2012
Its a very touchy subject but when i lost my dad it hurt me to see people eating and merry making without a care in the world that my dad was 6 feet under 5 steps away from them. they were even fighting for food. And were angry that the souvenirs hat people made they didnt receive theirs. We were d only ones that couldnt eat anything and were sober. There was soooooooo much drama about food for burial even before we had bought coffin sef. Life goes on[/i]. cry[color=#770077][/color][i]

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Dec 13, 2012
We are social creatures, eating is a common social activity.
Probably more of a social lubricant than drink, frankly.
Few things are more necessary for life than food.
Eating after a funeral is a way of communing with loved ones and celebrating life rather than mourning death. lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by mimifonwon(f): 7:04pm On Dec 13, 2012
Adufaye: My friend whom lost his dad last 2 week,funeral is holding today....and women from different homes,have been cooking since morning....

His friends who don't care about the death of his father are busy pointing at the beer and wine they will drink, and how many they will finish tonite.

I don't see any reason why we should cook, i asked someone and he said to celebrate what he did when he was alive....

i want to ask if it is encouraging to cook and dink at funerals and your reasons

In africa we celebrate the life one has lead if they die old, and in some culture we morn when the person dies very young. We celebrate life.
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Christine01(f): 7:04pm On Dec 13, 2012
If you really came to sympathise with the bereaved, you wouldn't even have the appetite to eat.

samfibby: Would you rather they come to the funeral with empty stomach and go back empty. Please ask better question.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Christine01(f): 7:11pm On Dec 13, 2012
tajulasblog: Its a very touchy subject but when i lost my dad it hurt me to see people eating and merry making without a care in the world that my dad was 6 feet under 5 steps away from them. they were even fighting for food. And were angry that the souvenirs hat people made they didnt receive theirs. We were d only ones that couldnt eat anything and were sober.
There was soooooooo much drama about food for burial even before we had bought coffin sef. Life goes on
[/i]. cry[color=#770077][/color][i]

Experienced same during the burial of my Mum. It was so so annoying seeing people fight for food and drinks as if that was the reason for the gathering.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Decapo: 7:15pm On Dec 13, 2012
Cos we'll eat wat he was keeping from us wen he/she was alive

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by trent9002(m): 7:18pm On Dec 13, 2012
Because if you don't, Nobody will attend
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by fankasibe: 7:28pm On Dec 13, 2012
Olodo 1: Because it is not easy to die.
in addition to dis, dieing as a Nigerian is not for d weak mind, it takes on the brave.
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Egbagirl(f): 7:29pm On Dec 13, 2012
trent9002: Because if you don't, Nobody will attend

but must people attend? Food should not be the reason for pple to attend a funeral. If you want to come, come. If you dont want to, don't. If you are hungry, go get food to eat nearby and if you know you will be hungry at the funeral, then pls prepare ahead of time. The only thing I think should be provided is water. It's not by force for pple to attend a funeral. After all, how many of them were there when the person was alive? Half the pple who even attend don't even care about the deceased. We just like to do aseju.

(This is not particular to naija o. It happens in Senegal too.)

3 Likes

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by komek(m): 7:32pm On Dec 13, 2012
When I lost my grand mum, I asked this same question the OP asked.. I was seen as somebody who does nt like to spend money. But spend money on
What?
My Uncle who championed a beffitting burial, nver gave the woman anything when she was alife. So I feel its just to show the kind of class u belong or the kind of person u are. Some pple will eat , misuse things etc without appreciation.
In Edo state, pple are hired to cry for a dead person and after that they will throw a very big party while the corpse is still lying in state.
Hw I wish there will be a law that will stop pple from this mental slavery.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by folahann(m): 7:40pm On Dec 13, 2012
They say they want to give them a befitting burial.
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by yuzedo: 7:51pm On Dec 13, 2012
shuo?! undecidedna me kill the dead body ni?!

So I go travel from my Banana Island mansion cool go one rustic village and dem no go serve me food to replenish d cry wey I go cry?! shocked

Madam will u top fufu & akamu for me dere?! angry mix am wit schnapps & egg! wink cheesy
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Divineboy42(m): 8:03pm On Dec 13, 2012
Emusan: it depends, if d person is kind of old is lyk celebration dat's y it wil title lyk CELEBRATION of LIFE, GLORIOUS HOME EXIST e.t.c. Bt if d person is stil young i think is nt necessary because it is untimely death (may it nt be our portion in Jesus name)
[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by vanstanzy(m): 8:31pm On Dec 13, 2012
Adufaye: My friend whom lost his dad last 2 week,funeral is holding today....and women from different homes,have been cooking since morning....

His friends who don't care about the death of his father are busy pointing at the beer and wine they will drink, and how many they will finish tonite.

I don't see any reason why we should cook, i asked someone and he said to celebrate what he did when he was alive....

i want to ask if it is encouraging to cook and dink at funerals and your reasons

No, it is discouraging to cook and "boink" at funerals and... which seasons do u mean?
Seriously, i see it as a sheer waste of money. Why? cos probably the breadwinner of the family is dead and we all know thats when the real hardship starts. The family is really gonna need all the money they can get for the running of the home and upkeep of the children left behind. Besides, thats when the inlaws, especially husbands families start dragging the whole asset the man left behind, not even considering the kids.
For me the only time to celebrate at funerals is when the deceased is an elderly person. That one can be called celebration of life. And only a cocktail of few invited guests is required.
The amount of money we spend on funeral is alarming and ridiculous.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by vanstanzy(m): 8:34pm On Dec 13, 2012
komek: When I lost my grand mum, I asked this same question the OP asked.. I was seen as somebody who does nt like to spend money. But spend money on
What?
My Uncle who championed a beffitting burial, nver gave the woman anything when she was alife. So I feel its just to show the kind of class u belong or the kind of person u are. Some pple will eat , misuse things etc without appreciation.
In Edo state, pple are hired to cry for a dead person and after that they will throw a very big party while the corpse is still lying in state.
Hw I wish there will be a law that will stop pple from this mental slavery.

Spot on. A law to stop this nonsense.
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Dec 13, 2012
Because in process of the obituary rites people will be hungry and the bereaved family will not want to be a bad host to their guest eating alone, so in the process they have to budget for food and drinks in an organised manner for everybody.
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Rastamann: 8:38pm On Dec 13, 2012
Because people need strength to console the bereaved family.
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by edogho(m): 8:49pm On Dec 13, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I am with you on this question @OP. The Claim is that the partying is to celebrate what the departed did during his time here but in many cases, the departed mostly endured life and did nothing worth celebrating.

To me it is sort of like throwing a birthday bash for someone who has no clue that you are doing that in the first place, is not present and really does not give a darn.
let me tell u y. Its celebration for d lucky person who has left dis debauched world. I tink when a child is born ppl should cry for d poor soul enterin dis troublesome world. Lol
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by ZeusI: 9:00pm On Dec 13, 2012
That is one case of 'Igbo Folly' that needed ammendment. It was introduced by the affluents and is forced on the wretched regardless of their financial capacity by means of tradition. 'If abormination stays un-uprooted for long, it becomes a tradition'(Igbo Addage)

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by An0nimus: 9:04pm On Dec 13, 2012
Lordswill smith: for d remember of d dead person.
R.I.P English..

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by tajulasblog(f): 9:11pm On Dec 13, 2012
Christine01:

Experienced same during the burial of my Mum. It was so so annoying seeing people fight for food and drinks as if that was the reason for the gathering.

Hmmmmmmmmmm am sorry for your loss!. Its just soo wrong.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by ositadima1(m): 9:15pm On Dec 13, 2012
An0nimus:
R.I.P English..

Are u going to cook food for Mr,t English burial?
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by An0nimus: 9:22pm On Dec 13, 2012
ositadima1:

Are u going to cook food for Mr,t English burial?
i'll let the family do that. I'll just eatwink
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by marseun(m): 9:36pm On Dec 13, 2012
I tink is A̶̲̥̅̊ black mAn mentality aп̥̥̲̣∂ trends. Why not thRow party f̶̲̥̅̊ø̲̣̣̥r d same dead While Alive.
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Awoofawo(m): 9:50pm On Dec 13, 2012
It's considered shameful not to able to give your aged one a befitting send-off on their exit for sinful plane! Omo rere agbehin gbogbo wa! Only poor man would just dumps the remaining of his belove depart without all the necessary rite of honour!
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Curiouscity(m): 9:52pm On Dec 13, 2012
It is a good thing we all ask ourselves this soul searching question. But, most of us are guilty by demanding from bereaved friends and relatives. It even sound a bit sane when the bereaved has a "well to do" child. I have attended funerals where the parents buried their sons(well trained) and cooked. It was disgusting to see people eating at the burial ceremony of someone in his/her 30s-40s. If we the youths don't stand our grounds to root out some of these abnormalities, then they will keep hunting us.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Curiouscity(m): 9:55pm On Dec 13, 2012
Awoofawo: It's considered shameful not to able to give your aged one a befitting send-off on their exit for sinful plane! Omo rere agbehin gbogbo wa! Only poor man would just dumps the remaining of his belove depart without all the necessary rite of honour!

How about U take that money and do something in the community that your departed relative will be remembered for a long time. Like giving scholarship, building or equipping a library in his/her name. It is goo to entertain your guest, but not the exorbitant n arrant waste of money people do these days.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by iluvnaija: 10:18pm On Dec 13, 2012
Because Nigerians are hungry! grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Somalis And Nigerians Are Brothers / Can Minorities Be Racist? / How Culture affects Marriage Among Educated (westernized) Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.