Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,684 members, 7,820,386 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? (4622 Views)

Is It Wrong That I Dont Allow My Children Watch Tv / How Do You Cope With The Death Of Your Child/children? / Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by OYINBOGOJU(m): 11:00am On Dec 15, 2012
coogar:

you are being handed a ready-made babe and you are shouting slavetrade? if you want a graduate from imperial college, better be ready to pay top dollar to get her otherwise settle for your oturmokpo college of education graduate.

So the higher the education,the greater the price.

Ibo and money

They can sell anything and do anything for money.
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by etochi11(m): 12:05pm On Dec 15, 2012
ȋ̝̊̅§ it only igbos DAT "ℓi̶̲̥̅ke̶̲̥̅ " moni?? Stop saying dis pls
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by slimchi2k2(m): 1:05pm On Dec 15, 2012
OYINBOGOJU:

So the higher the education,the greater the price.

Ibo and money

They can sell anything and do anything for money.
ok u hate money,
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by Agrika: 1:27pm On Dec 15, 2012
@ pcmmadu please say the truth, its okay if you want to defend Imo people or mbaise but please dont drag the name of other states to the mud while trying to do so...... How dare you say anambra women hardly stay in thier husband houses, if that is so why do most Imo men love marrying Anambra girls.
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by slimchi2k2(m): 1:40pm On Dec 15, 2012
Agrika: @ pcmmadu please say the truth, its okay if you want to defend Imo people or mbaise but please dont drag the name of other states to the mud while trying to do so...... How dare you say anambra women hardly stay in thier husband houses, if that is so why do most Imo men love marrying Anambra girls.
IMO ANAMBRA ABIA ENUGU ete are we not the same ibo what's the fiction of dis arginine,
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Dec 15, 2012
I find that very ummmmm intriguing .... Wow collecting money before you give your daughter out.... kinda like a tradition ...... and some people will flip when you mention the word tradition when it comes to respecting your hubby..... hypocrisy . Isn't that shocking?
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by etochi11(m): 9:10pm On Dec 15, 2012
In all, i tink enugu gals re gud 2go
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:57pm On Dec 15, 2012
slimchi2k2:
ok u hate money,

I like money but I won't sell my daughter for money as painted by cooger.

1 Like

Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:58pm On Dec 15, 2012
etochi11: ȋ̝̊̅§ it only igbos DAT "ℓi̶̲̥̅ke̶̲̥̅ " moni?? Stop saying dis pls

It is only igbos that sell their daugther for money as painted by cooger.
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by etochi11(m): 5:49pm On Dec 16, 2012
She is from idiato north. undecided can anybodi help me wit vital info abt dat place ni??
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by slickychi(m): 8:40pm On Dec 18, 2012
Hmmm..I guess my case was quite different from a lot of you guys.
My immediate elder bro married from Mba-Ise in Imo state and he spent over a million on bride prize alone.
But b4 then I was already dating an Mba-Ise lady who was born and brought up in Delta state, cos her parents stays there.
Our relationship grew stronger by the day cos she was quite different from other girls I had met b4 her. We spent about 8yrs together as lovers.over these yrs I was very close to her family, her mum, dad, and siblings became my friend. So even when am not there with her they watch and encourages her to stick to me.

So I decided that I was gonna get married and ofcos to her, I went to her parents with mine. They accepted us. Later her parents called me that by now I must be hearing so much about how expensive their bride prize is. That I shouldn't worry, that I should just come with anything I have they will handle d rest.

The deal day came on 31st. March 2012, we headed for my T.M at Mba-Ise in Imo state. We got there, the villagers had gathered, waiting to suck us up like they usually do to other inlaws.
In the bride prize list, most major expensive prizes to be paid are for the brides parents.
So to my greatest surprise, when they ask for the things for d girls's parents, the dad or mum will say they have collected it already from me.

So this went on till d whole list was reviewed.
This baffled the whole villagers and my family, as we spent nothing more that N70k in my inlaws village.

I went with about N500k but returned home with about N410K and that was because I spent about N20k spraying my inlaws on d dance floor.

So you see fellow Nairalanders, a bride prize may be exhobitant in some communities. But it largely depends on ur spouse's family to allow u to be drained by their hungry villagers or not.

My experience really changed my friends and family's perspective about this whole marriage stuff.

And I hope it helps you guys as well.

Regards.

6 Likes

Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by agitator: 7:53am On Dec 19, 2012
slickychi: Hmmm..I guess my case was quite different from a lot of you guys.
My immediate elder bro married from Mba-Ise in Imo state and he spent over a million on bride prize alone.
But b4 then I was already dating an Mba-Ise lady who was born and brought up in Delta state, cos her parents stays there.
Our relationship grew stronger by the day cos she was quite different from other girls I had met b4 her. We spent about 8yrs together as lovers.over these yrs I was very close to her family, her mum, dad, and siblings became my friend. So even when am not there with her they watch and encourages her to stick to me.

So I decided that I was gonna get married and ofcos to her, I went to her parents with mine. They accepted us. Later her parents called me that by now I must be hearing so much about how expensive their bride prize is. That I shouldn't worry, that I should just come with anything I have they will handle d rest.

The deal day came on 31st. March 2012, we headed for my T.M at Mba-Ise in Imo state. We got there, the villagers had gathered, waiting to suck us up like they usually do to other inlaws.
In the bride prize list, most major expensive prizes to be paid are for the brides parents.
So to my greatest surprise, when they ask for the things for d girls's parents, the dad or mum will say they have collected it already from me.

So this went on till d whole list was reviewed.
This baffled the whole villagers and my family, as we spent nothing more that N70k in my inlaws village.

I went with about N500k but returned home with about N410K and that was because I spent about N20k spraying my inlaws on d dance floor.

So you see fellow Nairalanders, a bride prize may be exhobitant in some communities. But it largely depends on ur spouse's family to allow u to be drained by their hungry villagers or not.

My experience really changed my friends and family's perspective about this whole marriage stuff.

And I hope it helps you guys as well.

Regards.

when u slickychi(f) marry a she, why dem no go dash u. Which family want to keep a dyke? dem for even give you free
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by slickychi(m): 7:51pm On Dec 19, 2012
@ Agitator,
Well..when important issues are discussed, it's expected that even twats like u will throw in their meaningless comments. That's why it's called a forum.

2 Likes

Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by Willy7(m): 10:11pm On Dec 19, 2012
You people are talking about exobitant bride price,you havent seen anything until u try Rivers people,expecially okrika and kalagbari.Then u'll know that Imo,Anambra or anywhere else dey learn.Most times i ask myself if these parents re selling their daughters or what.How can a man buy (pay) such a huge some on a woman and not treat her like a slave?No wonder marriages re falling apart.After buying these women,they still come to ur house and wants to dictate who comes or goes,and what happens in the house.My people,some of our traditions need review and overhauling o.Bride price should be moderate,so the woman wont be like some goods been purchased.My opinion though.

1 Like

Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Dec 20, 2012
A man came to me sometime ago in PH, when i was just sittin on my own jejerly in kilomanjaro, and he started talkin, before we even spoke for 5minutes, he has started complainin about his wife who is an imo lady. He said he is tired of the marriage, as he works almost round the clock to take care of her and her entire family. He pays the school fees for all her siblins, take care of the little ones and feed them too. He regretted ever marryin her and gets scared every evenin cos its time to go home. I was like WTF, i got so bored cos the tori was too long, and i dont even know the man before.

The last traditional marriage i went for in imo was shocking, as my friend who was the groom was asked to bring too many crap...like cartons of cigarette for the youths, "igbo" (cannabis) for the elders/parents, ladies bike and many other things....me taya.

Learnt the govt is doin somethin about it now. But personally i dont mind elopin with an imo babe, cos trust me when i say tht they are the best in bed....
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by etochi11(m): 8:28pm On Dec 21, 2012
I believe dat if d girls parents dun want u to pay more than 5ok, d can! Cos everytin is in der hands. D can decide, and once d decides,d inlaws wil definitly back off! Anyway, me,, my galfrnd is from idiato shaäa. But, i love her. Despite all des stories cos she is good. But, hmmmm! If d pric is 2much for me, i will back off..
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by DukeNija(m): 10:40am On Dec 22, 2012
Hmmnnn.
Ok O.
Me that is destined to marry from IMO state nko.
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by slimchi2k2(m): 11:27am On Dec 22, 2012
seriously i hate this threed
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by etochi11(m): 11:59am On Dec 22, 2012
@slimchi....its all abt perception. no bodi is forcing u to comment
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by jerk: 12:16pm On Dec 22, 2012
@poster ur right,someone told me that it cost a lot to perform all their demands which is too much.
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by etochi11(m): 12:24pm On Dec 22, 2012
but d have good gals among dem.. I stilll believ d parents can help bring d pric down if d lik u
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by etochi11(m): 12:25pm On Dec 22, 2012
@duke.... Which part re u destind 2 marry from
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by slickychi(m): 12:37pm On Dec 22, 2012
Guys, like I said b4, it's all about d bride's parents; they can help make ur marriage as cheap as ever like mine did or they can allow d villagers suck up every dime on you.

As for d man that was complaining that he takes care of his wife's siblings, I guess it's because you've shown them you can and maybe God has given you d grace to act as their helper for now. Just manage on with ur gesture, but if you can't, well.. Tell ur wife you re fedup of helping. Period!

Regards.

1 Like

Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by cantell(m): 1:15pm On Dec 22, 2012
Duke_Nija: Hmmnnn.
Ok O.
Me that is destined to marry from IMO state nko.
Be ready to clear ur bank account or sell lands.
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by etochi11(m): 4:29pm On Dec 22, 2012
Gbam!!!
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by 401kk: 7:09pm On Dec 22, 2012
Its mostly anambra families that don't allow their sons to marry from imo state. I'm yet to understand the reason behind this. If its about wedding expenses, I don't think that's a good reason because there are other tribes and states with higher bride prices, wedding costs. . . Like the Ikwerres, Kalabari's and others in Rivers state.
Imo girls are no less or not more disrespectful, promiscuous or homely than other igbo girls. Igbo girls are Igbo girls.
Whatever they say about imo won't stop from getting married every weekend in their hundreds.
Re: Y Is It That Most Parents Dont Allow Their Child/children To Marry IMO Girls? by etochi11(m): 7:27pm On Dec 22, 2012
Der govt d say is doing somtin to combat it shaaa

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should I Tell My Mum The Truth Or Not ? / I Mistakenly Slept With My Wife’s Twin And She Didn’t Even Speak Out To Stop Me / My Brothers Wife Is Dragging Remote Control With Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.