Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,939 members, 7,821,290 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate (1914 Views)

Revealed:president Ali Bongo Adopted From Nigeria’s Southeast During Biafra War / Southeast Governors To Meet In Owerri Over Pro-Biafra Protests - Vanguard / Southeast Should Abstain From Gej Government. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by MajeOfficial: 10:22am On Dec 15, 2012
It has come to my attention that many of the positive achievements of the ACN in the western region has the rest of Nigeria considering tightened regional ties along the lines of the original federating units of the nation. Though the yoruba effort is commendible and represents a real and tangible development strategy, it is not the only way out of poverty. Most importantly, intergation of economically imbalanced elements has always proven to be economically troublesome for nearly all that have tired. We have the european unions current economic stagnation and decline as proof, and our own economically unbalanced union of regions called Nigeria as closer more tangible proof.

Though intergration can work, competition is the key. More importantly, Competition is the key for the east and has been for decades. Because of our unique nature, we should acknowledge culturally who we are, as opposed to trying to fit an alien mold of what is functional because before the war, the competitive nature of the east put it miles ahead of the rest of the nation, and it was that same competitive spirit that saw our rapid recovery from the war.

That being said, the detrimental nature of our competitiveness is there and haunts our ventures daily. It's with this in mind that we find an intelligent and effective way to channel our competitiveness.

1. The east must remain a competitive market for all political parties, no monolithic dominance of one. The reason is that if that one isn't in power federally, our entire region risks political isolation and further marginalization. Every political party must feel it has a stake and a chance in the east and thus if the east remains a competitive swing region we have complete control of the ball game. Parties will pander to the open igbo vote as opposed to giving up and leaving it in obscurity. Winning the igbo vote is also crucial and breaking down margins in other regions because the Igbo vote well represented in all states of Nigeria. If the igbo vote remains attractive, favors and patronage remain an option.

2. The east is a tale of many nations. The igbo man believe his village is his nation in every sense of the word. The concept of pan-igbo is very new, and there's nothing wrong with this thinking. It's for this reason that the igbo man will build a factory in his village, build a school in his village, and strive to see his village compete with any city in the world. The mentality of everyone chipping into one city and leaving the rest to squalor is alien to us and should remain so. If i continue to see Port Harcourt, Enugu, and Onitcha as another man's land, I'm more likely to build a private hospital in the land i can call my own. This is why though no one city in the east can claim complete dominance in all sphere, all can hold their own in self sustenance. This is the model followed by the Germans. All German cities are in competition with each other and thus it's not a nation defined by one city like England. The result is German is a richer and more balanced nation than England. When we see and Innoson raising in Nnewi, every city and village should be striving to build their own. If PH has an airport, i want to see one in Aba as well.

3. Open up to the world. We experience a serious drainage of human capital in every generation. We won't be able to stop this with worlds alone because our people want to be connected with the rest of the world knowing that spots with diversity and a cosmopolitan culture can breed many opportunities. I would like to see the cities of Igbo land open up to the world. I would like to see Mosques in Owerri and an Hausa Market, a China town, a little india, a little lebanon, etc. All of the worlds people's have different skills and specialities they bring to the table and it's a combinations of the worlds cultures that create world class cities. No nation develops in isolation. Our people leave and that's fine, we need someone to come in and fill the gap. The cities that have embraced cultural plurality in nigeria. Lagos, PH, Kano, Abuja, operate of a scale beyond that one those that haven't and always will. There should be at least one city in every state where you can see the races and cultures of the world.

4. formalization of business. We have the industry and commerce needed to develop. Lets formalize these cottage industries. give them access to banks, loans and stock markets so that they can expand at will. access to the world's vast financial pool is what separates westerners from africans, and as these industries grow lets look towards export to the rest of Africa. Igbo musicians are sadly better excepted outside of Nigeria than in Nigeria. P Square for instance came to the United states and it was 100 USD for a ticket. Dbanj came and it was 25 USD but in Nigeria they will patronize Dbanj as if he's the alpha and omega of Nigerian music. Though im a personal fan the truth remains, the rest of the country doesn't like to see us doing well. That's fine, and is their own problem. Lets export our products to the rest of Africa. Lets solidify contracts with the rest of the world where biases won't hold us back. Igbo land needs to be of the world, look beyond Nigeria.

These things are all possible and competition, not consolidation, is the key.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by MajeOfficial: 10:25am On Dec 15, 2012
Im sure we all have our ideas, i'd like to hear some. If you notice, none of mine were dependent on the government.
competition is our strength, lets capitalize on it. More importantly lets make the government a detail not a central point in development until it's ready to be serious.
Town counsels have done more for our development than most state governors in the entire nation.

enjoy..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr1xAlF8ggw
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by geez1: 10:40am On Dec 15, 2012
Yawns ... Rubs eyes ... Yawns again
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by MajeOfficial: 10:46am On Dec 15, 2012
[img]http://1.bp..com/_jrkEgLmDKKQ/TIG-uYDAKjI/AAAAAAAAAr4/5tUNG6NScww/s1600/cc+yawn.jpg[/img]

perhaps you should get some rest.
Spending your entire day on the internet can be exhausting, even without employment.
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by Abagworo(m): 10:56am On Dec 15, 2012
I'm with you on this one. One of the major bane of Igbo advancement is in the attempt of an unnatural integration. Our diverse nature should be harnessed and not a forced "monolithism" which often leads to disagreements and lack of focus.
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by MajeOfficial: 11:22am On Dec 15, 2012
I don't even know what integration means in nigeria. Are we not the same nation? How can you integrate two states in the same country especially if they already speak the same language? what are you bringing together?
Every state needs to be strong enough to stand on their own and every leader strong enough to do the same. Godfather-ism and turning the south east into a 1 party state is a politicians wet dream and for that reason we should avoid it because only a self centered and evil element finds cause to 'rule' over others.
PDP is serving Enugu and Rivers well, at the same time AGPA is serving Imo well. The southwest had a worst experience with PDP. All of their governors were among the biggest thieves in Nigerian state history and they saw little to no development. Their wholesale acceptance of ACN is really a rejection of PDP.
but in a state where there was performance (ONDO) ACN was stopped in their tracks.

We shouldn't support a party because it claims to be igbo, lets keep our eyes open to the one that serves us the best.
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by RickyRoss1(m): 11:52am On Dec 15, 2012
@OP, you are on point.
Absolutely classic.
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by geez1: 1:01pm On Dec 15, 2012
][img:
http://1.bp..com/_jrkEgLmDKKQ/TIG-uYDAKjI/AAAAAAAAAr4/5tUNG6NScww/s1600/cc+yawn.jpg[/img]

perhaps you should get some rest.
Spending your entire day on the internet can be exhausting, even without employment.

So how do I pay for my subscription and that of my staff and family without a job? I can even spare some for your village and entire family you know. Obviously you don't understand what integration is all about in this day and age when counties in the west are economically integrating and harnessing each others' potential for their overall good. If it doesn't make sense to you why I should be able to set up a factory in Ekiti and transport my produce to Lagos and export via fast moving rails or build a cattle ranch and milk processing plant in Osun State to serve milk factories in Ibadan, then your knowledge of economics is as poor as it can possibly be.
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by MajeOfficial: 6:57pm On Dec 15, 2012
Im more interested in seeing a milk factory in Ekiti and a milk factory in Lagos and this is what i want for the SE.
Co-dependence isn't integration. We live in the same nation, we're integrated. Integration and tribal unity gimmicks are used by politicians trying to expand their empire and I dont want igbo people to be susceptible to it.

There's no need to build something in one state to support 6 others. Each state in Nigeria is populace enough to be it's own nation and if you go to nations smaller than our states you will see that they provide their own facilities and still have space for export.

There are enough people in Ibadan and Lagos for them both to have their own cattle ranch and export to the world.
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by geez1: 7:10pm On Dec 15, 2012
[quote author=]Im more interested in seeing a milk factory in Ekiti and a milk factory in Lagos and this is what i want for the SE.
Co-dependence isn't integration. We live in the same nation, we're integrated. Integration and tribal unity gimmicks are used by politicians trying to expand their empire and I dont want igbo people to be susceptible to it.

There's no need to build something in one state to support 6 others. Each state in Nigeria is populace enough to be it's own nation and if you go to nations smaller than our states you will see that they provide their own facilities and still have space for export.

There are enough people in Ibadan and Lagos for them both to have their own cattle ranch and export to the world. [/quote]

Very funny. How come some states in the US are know for certain things and not everything? Arkansas and Arizona are top agricultural states while Alaska is best known for oil and gas. California is know for entertainment. A state can't be everything to everyone. I even doubt if a country can. This doesn't mean that a state wont have a bit if everything or most things. There are farms in Lagos but the biggest farms in the SW aren't in Lagos which is the commercial hub of Nigeria.
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by Afam4eva(m): 7:49pm On Dec 15, 2012
geez*:

Very funny. How come some states in the US are know for certain things and not everything? Arkansas and Arizona are top agricultural states while Atlanta is best known for oil and gas. California is know for entertainment. A state can't be everything to everyone. I even doubt if a country can. This doesn't mean that a state wont have a bit if everything or most things. There are farms in Lagos but the biggest farms in the SW aren't in Lagos which is the commercial hub of Nigeria.
What the OP is suggesting is not that every state should do everything. They can have a little of everything and still have a USP. I see no reason why Enugu can't have it's own Onitsha, NNewi, Aba and Abakaliki even if it's in a small way. And i see no reason why Onitsha despite being a commercial city will not have the livability of Enugu and be an Agricultural state. I see no reason why Ebonyi, despite having Agriculture as it's strong point cannot have a small commercial town or a tourist haven.

Arkansas and Arizona despie being Agricultural states also have some cities that can hold their own. Atlanta is best known for oil and gas(i'm hearing this for the first time) but that's where CNN and Cocacola is headquartered. California is known for entertainment, so is New York, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Chi town, Nashville etc. I think the US and Germany like the OP pointed out represents the way Igbos are known to do things. Going the way of Regional integration will mean that only Enugu, Onitsha, Aba and probably Owerri will be developed. What will happen to Awka, Orlu, Okigwe, Nsukka, Oraifite, Arochukwu, Ohafia, Abakaliki, Afikpo etc.

@OP, you're spot on....

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by geez1: 7:51pm On Dec 15, 2012
afam4eva:
What the OP is suggesting is not that every state should do everything. They can have a little of everything and still have a USP. I see no reason why Enugu can't have it's own Onitsha, NNewi, Aba and Abakaliki even if it's in a small way. And i see no reason why Onitsha despite being a commercial city will not have the livability of Enugu and be an Agricultural state. I see no reason why Ebonyi, despite having Agriculture as it's strong point cannot have a small commercial town or a tourist haven.

Arkansas and Arizona despie being Agricultural states also have some cities that can hold their own. Atlanta is best known for oil and gas(i'm hearing this for the first time) but that's where CNN and Cocacola is headquartered. California is known for entertainment, so is New York, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Chi town, Nashville etc. I think the US and Germany like the OP pointed out represents the way Igbos are known to do things. Going the way of Regional integration will mean that only Enugu, Onitsha, Aba and probably Owerri will be developed. What will happen to Awka, Orlu, Okigwe, Nsukka, Oraifite, Arochukwu, Ohafia, Abakaliki, Afikpo etc.

@OP, you're spot on....

Kindly refer to the post I responded to sir
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by MajeOfficial: 10:29pm On Dec 16, 2012
geez*:

Very funny. How come some states in the US are know for certain things and not everything? Arkansas and Arizona are top agricultural states while Atlanta is best known for oil and gas. California is know for entertainment. A state can't be everything to everyone. I even doubt if a country can. This doesn't mean that a state wont have a bit if everything or most things. There are farms in Lagos but the biggest farms in the SW aren't in Lagos which is the commercial hub of Nigeria.

All states in the US can stand on their own as independent nations if they wanted to. They're food sufficient, have industry, have services, have their own educational outlets etc.
There is a thing called comparative advantage and that's fine, some states will have things they will do better than others and each state needs to find and emphasize that.
but if all states are farming, all states are industrialized and all states are tourist attractions all states prosper.

We under estimate and size and scope of our states. Ogun State as an independant country would be close to the size of ghana or kenya. It thus makes no sense for them to think small. If ghana has a airport, ogun should too regardless of what's happening in Lagos. If ghana has it's own industries, so should ogun, etc. We need to treat our states are competitive nations, not mini aspects of a federal structure because they are capable of being their own nations and there are free nations in this world that they're bigger and more important than on their own. I want the east to treat imo as one nation and anambra as another not see them as different pieces of an intergrated southeast because it allows one side to neglect certain aspects of development

in order to develop you need to pull up all sectors, not pull up some while your neighbor pulls up another.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by tawa89(f): 7:13am On Dec 17, 2012
geez*:
Yawns ... Rubs eyes ... Yawns again
don't u have a job bro? Or is stalking igbo threads on nairaland now a job?

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by londoner: 8:16am On Dec 17, 2012
OP I agree with you.

You have to take into account the natural state of being of a people, then build policies and practices around that. It is much easier and will stand the test of time.

I think it would be better for all to look within and build from there, before you look up every state will be busy contributing in their own way.

Those that do certain things better will naturally emerge, but it should be open to all to at least attempt.
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by PointB: 8:52am On Dec 17, 2012
afam4eva:

@OP, you're spot on....

I am with Op on this.

It's no ruse that 'regional integration' as continually being touted in certain quarters is an euphemism for growing personal empire, and subjugating some states. Nigeria is already 'integrated' albeit with the term 'amalgamation' and we can see clearly how this has panned out. South East does not need this sort on integration. What we need is fierce but healthy interstate competition in all economic and development sphere.

That said, the sort of integration I would like for the SE is infrastructural integration - good rail and road network linking major towns and cities throughout the SE Zones and beyond. Integration in electric power generation and distribution will also help. These are the kind on integration we need in the SE, not one man building personally empire, while leading 'intelligentsia' by the nose. I hope it dawns on them before dark!
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by Afam4eva(m): 11:14am On Dec 17, 2012
PointB:

That said, the sort of integration I would like for the SE is infrastructural integration - good rail and road network linking major towns and cities throughout the SE Zones and beyond. Integration in electric power generation and distribution will also help. These are the kind on integration we need in the SE, not one man building personally empire, while leading 'intelligentsia' by the nose. I hope it dawns on them before dark!
Exactly, these are the kinds of intergration that we should clamor for especially in the south-east. We want all our cities and towns to be linked via railway, airway and by road. I'll also suggest that we integrate our police force. We can have an "Igbo police department(IPD)" that will cater for the whole of Igboland then every town or city can also have their own localized police that will also work in tandem with police departments from other towns.
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by Nobody: 12:34pm On Dec 17, 2012
tawa89: don't u have a job bro? Or is stalking igbo threads on nairaland now a job?
grin
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by Ikengawo: 1:09pm On Dec 17, 2012
The things that one state would have a hard time doing alone like Rail, and electric would be idle for states to collaborate, but and form of political hegemony on monolith should be avoided as it stifles democracy, institutions, competitiveness and real social development.
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by kettykin: 3:24pm On Dec 17, 2012
Igbo musicians are sadly better excepted outside of Nigeria than in Nigeria. P Square for instance came to the United states and it was 100 USD for a ticket. Dbanj came and it was 25 USD but in Nigeria they will patronize Dbanj as if he's the alpha and omega of Nigerian music

this is the Nigerian factor that has promoted mediocres
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by emiye(m): 3:51pm On Dec 17, 2012
@ OP, what happens to competitive edge or advantage ? State A's Strength is State B's Weakness.

That integration evokes the power of synergy where 1+1 = 3. Without the integration, your 1 + 1 will always be equal to 2. All States in the South west have their area of strength, and must harness them, for those areas where they are weak, they look up to other states within the integration ring. The DAWN documents prepared for all the South West states address some of this concerns.
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by Germannig: 3:53pm On Dec 17, 2012
geez*:

Pray tell, what state in the US is called Atlanta? What oil and gas is Atlanta known for? This is the same person who goes about telling stark raving lies about how he's traveled the world over and worked in Banks and oil companies. Your lies, ''local[b]ness[/b]'' and ignorance are unfolding, yes?
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by geez1: 4:11pm On Dec 17, 2012
Germannig:

Pray tell, what state in the US is called Atlanta? What oil and gas is Atlanta known for? This is the same person who goes about telling stark raving lies about how he's traveled the world over and worked in Banks and oil companies. Your lies, ''local[b]ness[/b]'' and ignorance are unfolding, yes?

Please read properly. Did I call Atlanta a state? You, my friend has a nut or two loose in your head and a major problem with comprehension and I meant Alaska not Atlanta which is a state. My bad but your failed to read
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by geez1: 4:20pm On Dec 17, 2012

Anyway you guys have made your point why you shouldn't be integrated and I do hope and pray the SE will not be integrated
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by Nobody: 4:27pm On Dec 17, 2012
....so fine.

Do whatever suit you.
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by MegaMan2020: 5:30pm On Dec 17, 2012
Talk talk talk. Typical Igbos.
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by Africaman: 5:44pm On Dec 17, 2012
afam4eva:

@OP, you're spot on....
I hope you don't mind me butting in here ?

How about having a regional government with several provincial governments inside it ? So there would be local, provincial and regional tiers of government, each with it's own responsibilities. Each province would have its own capital city and subsidiary cities, having the freedom to develop as they see fit. The regional government can tackle the overall problems, ie region wide roads, rather than the federal or current state government. Things like erosion(I think this occurs in both the southeast and southwest), deforestation(all over the south at least), desertificationin the north), these can be tackled by regional governments also, probably more effectively than the current state and federal governments. Regions with common problems may even cooperate in solving them. Just a thought.
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by Crayola1: 9:37pm On Dec 17, 2012
geez*:

Please read properly. Did I call Atlanta a state? You, my friend has a nut or two loose in your head and a major problem with comprehension and I meant Alaska not Atlanta which is a state. My bad but your failed to read

Your tribalism has finally affected your brain cheesy

How you get from Alaska to Atlanta

How can you blame your fuckup on someone else.

See ignorance at its highest

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by Afam4eva(m): 9:42pm On Dec 17, 2012
geez*:

I also didn't realize that Atlanta had oil and gas. Can you address that?
Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by geez1: 9:46pm On Dec 17, 2012
afam4eva:
I also didn't realize that Atlanta had oil and gas. Can you address that?

Kindly read my post again and if you can't

Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by ezeagu(m): 9:52pm On Dec 17, 2012
I agree. The eastern states are already like this anyway, but I can't see what would unite them. Anyway, even if they were under a blanket party I believe there would still be strong competition even within the party which would be very good.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria's Southeast Should Not Intergate by Afam4eva(m): 9:56pm On Dec 17, 2012
geez*:

Kindly read my post again and if you can't

You goofed and when you were caught you ran and edited it.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Police Arrests Rivers LG Boss For Destroying Jonathans Billboard / "I Hardly Get What I Want In Life" - President Jonathan / Anambra Fingered As Having The Most Backward And Primitive Community In The SE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.