Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,303 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:32 AM

Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again (3249 Views)

Group Urges APC Leaders To Replace Buhari With Kwankwaso / Chibok Girls Campaigners Storm Aso Rock Today / Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by kingsceemark(m): 4:24am On Dec 16, 2012
The pan-Yoruba group, Afenifere, has for the second time sought audience with President Goodluck Jonathan to protest the “political marginalisation of the South-West.”
The Yoruba leaders, who had earlier visited Jonathan on the same issue, said they were not happy that the President had not taken any action to rectify the “anomaly” in the nation’s political structure, which they had complained about.
A leader of Afenifere, Senator Femi Okunrunmu, told SUNDAY PUNCH that the group had already made request for the second visit, and were waiting for the President’s response.
He said, “We (Yoruba leaders) had met with Jonathan to complain about the marginalisation of Yoruba, but he has not done anything about it. So, we have decided to pay him another visit. We have already made our intention known to the Presidency. We arenow waiting for the President to give us an appointment.
“We have the details of the situation which we intend to present to the President. It is as ifthe South-West has been excisedfrom the country. If you look at all the top political positions and appointments in the country, it isnot hard to see that South-West has been marginalised in this administration.
“Check from number one, whichis the President, to number 15, you won’t find a Yoruba person there. Look at the people controlling the economy, the finance minister, the Central Bank governor, no Yoruba person is there. The first lawyers in this country were Yoruba. Today, Yoruba are marginalised in the judiciary. In the National Assembly, the Senate and the House of Representatives: Yoruba people are not in leadership position. It is bad. It’s as if Yoruba are not wanted.”
Similarly, another prominent Yoruba leader, Chief Ayo Adebanjo told our correspondent that Jonathan had been very unfair to the South-West even in the repair offederal roads in the country.
He noted that while the roads in the North, the South-East and the South-South were being repaired with funds from government coffers, the federal roads in the South-West were given out to concessionaires whowould collect toll from users. Hecited the Lagos-Ibadan expressway concession as an example.
“That means that while others would be enjoying roads built with money from our national treasury, we, in the South-West, will have to pay for the repairs of the federal roads in our region. That is unfair. Why are there not roads under concession in the North, South-East and South-South? Yoruba people have been marginalised,”he said.

Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by Aderostock(m): 5:10am On Dec 16, 2012
They can only marginalise us in the political realm but not in other sectors cos we dominate all other sectors except politics which breeds defence and security. Let's take a look for some examples:
1. Banking: Check GTB, SKYE BANK, WEMA BANK, ECOBANK, FIRST BANK BOARDS OF DIRECTORS, almost yoruba.
2. Insurance: PRESTIGE, GTA, AIICO, WAPIC, IGI, UNIC, and many others, almost all yoruba directors.
3. Education: 85% of the tertiary schools situated in yorubaland suchas: BABCOCK, COVENANT, CRESCENT, CRAWFORD, LEADCITY, BOWEN, CALEB, NASCAT, REDEEMERS, PAN AFRICA, JABU and many more are owned by yorubas.
4. Media: TVC, GALAXY, ONTV, MITV, PUNCH, COMPASS, NATIONAL MIRROR, THE NATION, TRIBUNE, CITY PEOPLE, ENCOMIUM, GLOBAL EXCELLENCE, and more are all owned by yorubas.
5. Industries: IKEJA INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, OREGUN, OGBA, ILUPEJU, AGBARA, OTTA, OLUYOLE, SAGAMU, IJORA, APAPA, ETC are situated in yorubaland and controlled by us.
6. Agriculture: LIVESTOCK FEEDS, ANIMAL CARE, OBASANJOFARM, .
7. Entertainment: Biggest indegenous movie in Africa, Yoruba films. Musically: ASA, DBANJ, WIZKID, 9ICE, WANDE COAL, DAVIDO, BRYMO, ELDEE, ARTQUAKE.
8. Oil and Gas: CONOIL, OANDO, AP, ZENON, ENERGY, and many more.
9. Telcoms: GLOBALCOM, SWIFT, CHAMS etc
10. AND SO ON

So whether Jonathan likes it or not we dminate while others follow

6 Likes

Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by Demdem(m): 5:23am On Dec 16, 2012
Is this neccessary? Crap.
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by Afam4eva(m): 5:59am On Dec 16, 2012
kingsceemark:
He noted that while the roads in the North, the South-East and the South-South were being repaired with funds from government coffers, the federal roads in the South-West were given out to concessionaires whowould collect toll from users. Hecited the Lagos-Ibadan expressway concession as an example.
“That means that while others would be enjoying roads built with money from our national treasury, we, in the South-West, will have to pay for the repairs of the federal roads in our region. That is unfair. Why are there not roads under concession in the North, South-East and South-South? Yoruba people have been marginalised,”he said.
Isn't the Lagos-Ibadan expressway that was concessioned being used by Igbos and other Nigerians? Is it only the SW people that use that road. Btw, the roads is even more important for SEasterners than it it for SWesterners. They will bear the grunt more than anybody.

Now, talking about being marginalized. I really don't know what that means. If anything, i don't think the SW is marginalized because they hold their destiny in their hands because they're not being controlled by PDP instead it's being controlled by a localized party. They should focus on building on that.

1 Like

Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by Nobody: 6:01am On Dec 16, 2012
Thatz why this country is getting shoitier, less Yorubas to stabilize things where we need them cry cry

2 Likes

Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by ak47mann(m): 6:02am On Dec 16, 2012
nawaooo Yoruba have become the new whining of nigeria...

2 Likes

Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by Emusan(m): 6:35am On Dec 16, 2012
OTA farm also enter record gringringrin
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by Aderostock(m): 6:44am On Dec 16, 2012
afam4eva:
Isn't the Lagos-Ibadan expressway that was concessioned being used by Igbos and other Nigerians? Is it only the SW people that use that road. Btw, the roads is even more important for SEasterners than it it for SWesterners. They will bear the grunt more than anybody.

Now, talking about being marginalized. I really don't know what that means. If anything, i don't think the SW is marginalized because they hold their destiny in their hands because they're not being controlled by PDP instead it's being controlled by a localized party. They should focus on building on that.

Have always know u as a bigot and tribalist, how can the road be more important for the outsiders than the natives? When we travel every minute on this road or are non-yorubas more than the yorubas in yorubaland again?
As for the PDP, We don't need it in southwest again. U can have it all. How has PDP change your state or region? Guy, write something else

1 Like

Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by Afam4eva(m): 6:45am On Dec 16, 2012
Aderostock:

Have always know u as a bigot and tribalist, how can the road be more important for the outsiders than the natives? When we travel every minute on this road or are non-yorubas more than the yorubas in yorubaland again?
As for the PDP, We don't need it in southwest again. U can have it all. How has PDP change your state or region? Guy, write something else
That road is a federal road and is a link between the SW and the rest of the country. So, common sense should suggest that outsiders probably use it more.
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by Ikengawo: 7:11am On Dec 16, 2012
I think this is the end result of the SW trying to become a 1 party state.
Nigeria is still the land of paddi paddi, and rivals are enemies here.
If that 1 party you have invested in isn't the party in power, power is against you. The SW really doesn't have a voice in high power it seems because the last election showed elections can be won without them. I think it's sad and don't condone this but that's the fact.
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by geez1: 7:15am On Dec 16, 2012
Ikengawo: I think this is the end result of the SW trying to become a 1 party state.
Nigeria is still the land of paddi paddi, and rivals are enemies here.
If that 1 party you have invested in isn't the party in power, power is against you. The SW really doesn't have a voice in high power it seems because the last election showed elections can be won without them. I think it's sad and don't condone this but that's the fact.

Check the results again. If the SW had voted like the north, Buhari would be president now. The SW is more populated than the SE and Yorubas (40m) are more than Igbos (30m) so they should matter if truly elections are about numbers
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by Nobody: 7:21am On Dec 16, 2012
afam4eva:

You know what's funny? Lago-Ibadan express road doesn't connect to any other land but Yoruba land. You go from Lagos to Ibadan and after Ibadan, you go further, it's still Yoruba land.... I find it funny that you will even say something that doesn't make sense as you have.

I don't like dabbling in tribal debates but the Lagos-Ibadan express road is nothing but a road in Yoruba land that connects other parts of Yoruba land directly. The road is only very very indirectly connected to other parts of Nigeria. I really want to say fuk you and go suck your monkey's ball in biafra and kidnap and r-ape a baboon with it. But you see, I'm very polite so I won't say that tongue

2 Likes

Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by Ikengawo: 7:24am On Dec 16, 2012
of course, but when it comes to issues of state and federal relations, they have a disadvantage.
The SW is more numerous but more likely to vote for candidates that don't have national reach because they're not PDP.
I'm hoping to see a truly national opposition. I voted for Ribadu who is ACN, but I knew he didn't have the machinery to win.
He needs to run for a governorship and bring ACN into the north before trying again, but until the ACN is the federal party and if Nigeria's democracy remains immature, being dominated by the opposition means you're doomed to marginalization. PDP has little to no allies in the SW and their loyalty is shaky as they decamp and switch sides in alarming numbers.
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by GARRIx7(m): 7:25am On Dec 16, 2012
afam4eva:

afam4eva:
That road is a federal road and is a link between the SW and the rest of the country. So, common sense should suggest that outsiders probably use it more.

Afam, you are a disgrace! It's impossible for you to comment on issues that affect the SW without trial bias.

If you think that road is more important to Igbos than to Yorubas (whose states surround Lagos) then I think tribalism is eroding your reasoning ability at an alarming rate.

Do you know how many people from other Neighboring SW states use that road on a daily basis...

2 Likes

Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by Ikengawo: 7:28am On Dec 16, 2012
Lagos Ibadan is as important to the north as it is to the SW because that's how they access lagos/the sea/ imports as well, but only a fool would say it's more important to igbos than yorubas or northerners.
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by GARRIx7(m): 7:32am On Dec 16, 2012
Ikengawo: Lagos Ibadan is as important to the north as it is to the SW because that's how they access lagos/the sea/ imports as well, but only a fool would say it's more important to igbos than yorubas or northerners.
If you're referring to Afam, then I might agree with you..
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by geez1: 7:36am On Dec 16, 2012
Ikengawo: Lagos Ibadan is as important to the north as it is to the SW because that's how they access lagos/the sea/ imports as well, but only a fool would say it's more important to igbos than yorubas or northerners.

It's like saying the Onitsha Port Jetty is more important to the Yorubas than Igbos right? But Afam has a point
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by takedat(m): 7:39am On Dec 16, 2012
GARRI (x7):

Afam, you are a disgrace! It's impossible for you to comment on issues that affect the SW without trial bias.

If you think that road is more important to Igbos than to Yorubas (whose states surround Lagos) then I think tribalism is eroding your reasoning ability at an alarming rate.

Do you know how many people from other Neighboring SW states use that road on a daily basis...
That guy @Afam is seriously lost. It beats my imagination that some believe the guy is intelligent but I see nothing in him than a dull bigot!
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by Afam4eva(m): 7:41am On Dec 16, 2012
0lumide:

You know what's funny? Lago-Ibadan express road doesn't connect to any other land but Yoruba land. You go from Lagos to Ibadan and after Ibadan, you go further, it's still Yoruba land.... I find it funny that you will even say something that doesn't make sense as you have.

I don't like dabbling in tribal debates but the Lagos-Ibadan express road is nothing but a road in Yoruba land that connects other parts of Yoruba land directly. The road is only very very indirectly connected to other parts of Nigeria. I really want to say fuk you and go suck your monkey's ball in biafra and kidnap and r-ape a baboon with it. But you see, I'm very polite so I won't say that tongue
I guess people traveling to the east from Lagos fly till they get to the end of the expressway before boarding a bus undecided. The Lagos-Ibadan expressway links different parts of the country both directly and indirectly.
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by ChimaAdeoye: 7:43am On Dec 16, 2012
Aderostock: They can only marginalise us in the political realm but not in other sectors cos we dominate all other sectors except politics which breeds defence and security. Let's take a look for some examples:
1. Banking: Check GTB, SKYE BANK, WEMA BANK, ECOBANK, FIRST BANK BOARDS OF DIRECTORS, almost yoruba.
2. Insurance: PRESTIGE, GTA, AIICO, WAPIC, IGI, UNIC, and many others, almost all yoruba directors.
3. Education: 85% of the tertiary schools situated in yorubaland suchas: BABCOCK, COVENANT, CRESCENT, CRAWFORD, LEADCITY, BOWEN, CALEB, NASCAT, REDEEMERS, PAN AFRICA, JABU and many more are owned by yorubas.
4. Media: TVC, GALAXY, ONTV, MITV, PUNCH, COMPASS, NATIONAL MIRROR, THE NATION, TRIBUNE, CITY PEOPLE, ENCOMIUM, GLOBAL EXCELLENCE, and more are all owned by yorubas.
5. Industries: IKEJA INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, OREGUN, OGBA, ILUPEJU, AGBARA, OTTA, OLUYOLE, SAGAMU, IJORA, APAPA, ETC are situated in yorubaland and controlled by us.
6. Agriculture: LIVESTOCK FEEDS, ANIMAL CARE, OBASANJOFARM, .
7. Entertainment: Biggest indegenous movie in Africa, Yoruba films. Musically: ASA, DBANJ, WIZKID, 9ICE, WANDE COAL, DAVIDO, BRYMO, ELDEE, ARTQUAKE.
8. Oil and Gas: CONOIL, OANDO, AP, ZENON, ENERGY, and many more.
9. Telcoms: GLOBALCOM, SWIFT, CHAMS etc
10. AND SO ON

So whether Jonathan likes it or not we dminate while others follow

grin grin grin

SO GEJ should fire his Vice President or Senate President and appoint a yoruba man, so that Yoruba will be happy?
hmmmmm

1 Like

Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by Afam4eva(m): 7:49am On Dec 16, 2012
GARRI (x7):

Maybe i exaggerated too much about the road being more important for SEsterners than it is for SWesterners. The point i'm trying to make is that every federal road in Nigeria is important to everyone and not just those that it lies in their territory. That's why it's called a federal road.
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by geez1: 7:51am On Dec 16, 2012
afam4eva:
Maybe i exaggeration too much about the road being more important for SEsterners than it is for SWesterners. The point i'm trying to make is that every federal road in Nigeria is important to everyone and not just those that it lies in their territory. That's why it's called a federal road.

So should Nigeria divide and a war beaks out (God forbid), all Yorubas just need do is stand at Ore and all the Igbos in the SW will meet their Waterloo
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by Afam4eva(m): 7:55am On Dec 16, 2012
geez*:

So should Nigeria divide and a war beaks out (God forbid), all Yorubas just need do is stand at Ore and all the Igbos in the SW will meet their Waterloo
I don't know what bearing this has on the topic of discussion.

1 Like

Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by geez1: 7:56am On Dec 16, 2012
afam4eva:
I don't know what bearing this has on the topic of discussion.

Neither do I know why Lagos-Ibadan Expressway was all you could take out of the opening post
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by Afam4eva(m): 7:58am On Dec 16, 2012
geez*:

Neither do I know what Lagos-Ibadan Expressway has to do with the topic
And you didn't see where the SW leaders said that it was only the Lagos-Ibadan road that was concessioned while others were built with public money.
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by geez1: 8:01am On Dec 16, 2012
afam4eva:
And you didn't see where the SW leaders said that it was only the Lagos-Ibadan road that was concessioned while others were built with public money.

Edited my post but just wondering if that was the only thing you saw and nothing about the political appointments and why can't they concession roads and airports in the SE? My thinking is that they aren't economically viable
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by Afam4eva(m): 8:02am On Dec 16, 2012
geez*:

Edited my post but just wondering if that was the only thing you saw and nothing about the political appointments
I also addressed the political appointment issue. You can't eat your cake and still have it.

geez*:

and why can't the concession roads nod airports in the SE? My thinking is that they aren't economically viable
You may have a point there. It still supports my assertion that that road is a link from Nigeria's commercial hub, Lagos to other parts of the country. They didn't concession it just because it's located in the SW.
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by GARRIx7(m): 8:05am On Dec 16, 2012
afam4eva:
Maybe i exaggerated too much about the road being more important for SEsterners than it is for SWesterners. The point i'm trying to make is that every federal road in Nigeria is important to everyone and not just those that it lies in their territory. That's why it's called a federal road.

The road affects the South-Westerners and others who live or do business in the Region hence the leaders of the region have to talk about it. Or should they have waited for NDIGBO to take up the matter??
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by Afam4eva(m): 8:06am On Dec 16, 2012
GARRI (x7):

The road affects the South-Westerners and others who live or do business in the Region hence the leaders of the region have to talk about it. Or should they have waited for NDIGBO to take up the matter??
The road affects all Nigerian because without a good Lagos-Ibadan expressway, people will have a problem moving to other parts of the country and not just the SW.
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by geez1: 8:07am On Dec 16, 2012
afam4eva:
I also addressed the political appointment issue. You can't eat your cake and still have it.

Well personally I don't give a hoot about the centre. The fact that a Yoruba or Igboman holds a political office doesn't necessarily mean he can unilaterally use Government funds to develop his state. We have chosen to take our destiny in our own hands and not wait for handouts as you must have noticed.
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by Afam4eva(m): 8:12am On Dec 16, 2012
geez*:

Well personally I don't give a hoot about the centre. The fact that a Yoruba or Igboman holds a political office doesn't necessarily mean he can unilaterally use Government funds to develop his state. We have chosen to take our destiny in our own hands and not wait for handouts as you must have noticed.
I agree with you. I don't know why people equate marginalization to having someone from a particular place in the center when it has been proven that that does not necessarily mean that such region will have a better deal. I'd rather have more federal projects in my place than have someone from my place at the center. That's why the SW has taken their destiny into their hands and voted for a regional party. Now, it's left to be seen what ACN will eventually come up with. We're waiting.
Re: Marginalisation: Yoruba Leaders To Storm Aso Rock Again by geez1: 8:20am On Dec 16, 2012
afam4eva:
I agree with you. I don't know why people equate marginalization to having someone from a particular place in the center when it has been proven that that does not necessarily mean that such region will have a better deal. I'd rather have more federal projects in my place than have someone from my place at the center. That's why the SW has taken their destiny into their hands and voted for a regional party. Now, it's left to be seen what ACN will eventually come up with. We're waiting.

Ask your brothers that live in the SW what they've been seeing

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Good News: Boko Haram Commander Shekau Has Been Killed / Original From Achives ,buhari List Of Appointees While In Government. / FACT: Buhari Gave Out 92 Oil Blocks; 87 To Northerners!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.