Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,044 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? (3924 Views)

Can You Ask Someone To Look After Your Wife While You Are Away? / Could You Discipline Your Son This Way?? / Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by biggjoe(m): 11:27am On Dec 23, 2012
i'll rather leave that to tonto dike's new horror movie below

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8gSpMCfwnCM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gSpMCfwnCM
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by ypeace: 11:38am On Dec 23, 2012
So most of you cant take your child to a phychiatrist for check up or mental discipline? Hmmmmm wen we talk of discipline, ur mind switches to beating, shows hw u will discipline ur child. Anyway as for me, i will discipline my children as a parent and do my best to choose the right environment where my children can be disciplined. Buh pplez replies shows hw average nigerian thinks, if nigerians keep thinkin lik dis, am average we wont develop.
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by Nobody: 11:39am On Dec 23, 2012
@Op. Do you mean 'ask' or 'allow'?
If it's 'ask' like you have written, i wouldn't be a bad parent as to 'ask' someone discipline my child.

But if it's 'allow', then, i definitely will. Why not? If it's done justly and with love, why not?
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by kalufelix(m): 11:41am On Dec 23, 2012
La Professeur: Non, c'est pas possible' mon enfant c'est pour moi solement.
bonjour
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by bigboyk(m): 11:48am On Dec 23, 2012
Yes, but it depends on who is disciplining my child and the severity of the discipline. I would allow a school teacher to discipline my child. I would allow my brothers and sisters to discipline my kids if they go wrong, they are even allowed to beat them reasonably. I imagine the idiot I would have become if not for the beatings from my Mom and teachers. It puts a certain degree of fear in kids. Even the Bible says 'spare the rod and spoil the child'. We shouldn't try to be like the west. A society where kids can use the 'F' word on parents or elders without any fear. No wonder you have kids shooting up schools in the west- they were brought up without discipline and fear. If my kid goes wrong, please, Nairalanders, give him a little and reasonable dose of spanking to put him in line. There was a day a 5 year old son of my neighbour hit me with the sole of his mother's high heel shoes when I was in their house for a visit. The kind of slaps I landed on that boy that day in the presence of his Mum... Hmmmmm. I was waiting for her to protest but she kept quiet and apologised for her son's folly. If she had protested, I would have shown her my mad side too.

4 Likes

Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by Sagamite(m): 12:27pm On Dec 23, 2012
Callotti: YOU are only allowed to correct them. . .as in you are not allowed to do this or that.
Nothing more. YOU CANNOT LAY YOUR HANDS ON THEM. . . NEVER! kiss
I don't givva phock what they did.
I will treat others' kids with the same courtesy.
Any responsible co-parent or adult should do is pick up the damn phone and report to moi. . .I would do the same!

You ain't finna take our your e badu belle and e jolosi socio-economi-psycho-spiritual-demonic frustrations on any of my sweetie-pies. . . no matter how rotten you think they izzzz! kiss

It's gonna get REEEEEEEAL UGLY. . . .REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAL FAST! kiss

Feel free to kill yours BECAUSE YOUR CULTURE AND TRADITION OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE TEACHES YOU THE SICK AND DEPRESSING SATISFACTION FROM SLAMMING KIDS AROUND ALL BECAUSE YOU WANNO SHOW AUTHORITY! kiss

You put LAY any of your finger on ANY of 'em. . . you gonna smell 'gunpowder'. . .not pepper! Ammo make sure I CRIPPLE/MAIM ALL YA KIDS. . .PLUS YA GRANDMAMAS/PAPAS INCLUDED!

Good news. . . they ain't gonna be with 'abusive' beasts of burden. . .as long as I am alive. kiss

KIDS WILL ALWAYS MISBEHAVE BECAUSE THEY GAT NO SENSE MOST OF THE DOGGONE TIME! You teach 'em. . . not BULLY THEM!
If I feel your kids are not acting right. . . I will let you know and BANISH 'EM FROM MY HOUSE FOR EVER before I put my fingers on any of 'em! kiss

Shikena! kiss

No way in hell will I be picking up the phone to call you because if I am not allowed to discipline your child, I would not be taking charge of them in the first place.

And if it is not even a case of me being in charge of them, as long as what they are doing does not affect me, I would leave them alone. Let them play football on expressway, I would call my own child in and leave them to it.

@ OP,

Obviously it is not a funky proposition but I can let other people discipline my kids. It would obviously not be the whole world or just any adult but there are several friends and family I would be happy to allow discipline my kids. And, trust me, I would love my child as much as, if not more than, you love yours. I am just not a funky parent.

I don't think my sister-in-law and brother can ever dare say I can not discipline my nephews because no be me born dem. undecided If they step out of line, I would smack them. The prats are lucky I have not done it so far. The only case of smacking I gave was when the older one was always playing very rough with his 1 year old brother. He was actually trying to show love and play with him by hugging him but he was so forceful as a 3 year old, yanking the neck, squeezing him too tight and also doing it too frequently to the frustration of the 1 year old that just wanted to exercise his freedom to explore and rearrange the house (like an interior designer). You tell him to stop but 5 minutes later he is doing it again in a dangerous way that he could actually hurt the younger one. It was me, my mum and the nanny that were home. Even my mum was getting angry at the frequency and everytime I tell him to stop, he would only stop and then do it again in a few minutes. After a while my mum was saying "What kind of uncle are you sef? Smack him jor". After a while, after the umpteenth time and I saw he was not stopping, I took him and gave him 2 slaps on the bum bum. He looked at me in shock and self-pity. grin grin grin grin grin Mummy and Daddy usually smack him but Uncle has never, only kisses. grin Little prat. grin

No need to say the smack worked magic compared to the silly negotiations with a child. undecided He stopped and was now playing on his own and sometimes with his brother but with little physical contact. After a while, I too felt like showing the cute prat some love and decided to give him a cuddle. It was when he was deep into playing with a toy and he was enjoying it and just wanted to do that, so he was wriggling to be left alone. "Oooooooooh! Really?" Evil uncle just saw his opportunity. grin I grabbed him and hugged him hard and a little rough and held on to him kissing his face till his frustration was high. grin After about 20 seconds, I left him and he was slightly pissed and he was almost crying. I then told him, "You see how annoying it is. You see what you were doing to your brother and how he was irritated"? grin cool My mother was giggling and saying "Agbaya!". grin

3 Likes

Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by Sagamite(m): 12:40pm On Dec 23, 2012
debrief08: When we dedicated him in church when he was born, the whole church was asked to rise and they all affirmed that they will as a community love and correct him helping us to raaise him according to the will of God.
Yes, I let others correct my kids but I won't let them transfer their aggression on him. His Nanny Corrects him, family and friends even neighbors correct him, Thankfully he is a nice boy so the work is minimized. Discipline doesn't mean beating, it means a child does wrong and an adult who knows better says so to the child and repriminds him.
He tried throwing aa tantrum with his former Nanny (I miss her so much) one day at a store, she carried him out took him home and asked him to kneel down just as I would, when I came home he reported himself and I told him it serves him right, if I am there or not you are meant to be nice

Beautifully put.

I am sure your kids are very likely to respect adults and easier work to nanny far more than a kid that only the parents can discipline.

There was a lot of shyt I couldn't do as a kid because even the neighbours will be the ones disciplining me. No need to say I am still in contact with all my neighbours as a kid till today, very close family friends even though we live on different continents and even different towns in Nigeria today. While I don't say more than the customary "Hi" to my neighbours in London today.

3 Likes

Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by bunmila(f): 12:55pm On Dec 23, 2012
favouryemmy: Plz would you ask another person to discipline for child for misbehaving?
Sure. It depends on my relationship with them though. It does take a village to raise a child.
Kids can be really naughty sometimes and why should that child not be corrected simply because I'm not around at that moment?
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by KDULAR: 12:59pm On Dec 23, 2012
Most definitely yes but to someone I respect regard and I adjudged sound because some types and aspect of discipline that are necessary, some of us as parents and individuals cannot dispense or handle adequately. To those who will not allow their child to be disciplined by someone else well nothing bad with that I just advice advise likewise that they should not ask for help or favour of any sort from someone else for their child wink
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Dec 23, 2012
If it's like verbal cool. anything but physically.

put your hand on my child?
haha! imagine that. some folks don't have
boundaries especially if the child is not their blood.

so...i don't have any yet but when i do, touch them at your own risk!! kiss
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by Originalsly: 3:12pm On Dec 23, 2012
What do you mean by discipline your child?.... and why would you have to ask someone? If you have to it means you have failed as a parent to discipline your own child and if you ask....you cant be mad with with the person for whatever method he/she chooses to use.
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by agiboma(f): 3:26pm On Dec 23, 2012
@ OP when you say "discipline" to you mean hit/beat your child. I dont beleive in spanking so i would not beat my child nor will i allow others to do so. If for example my son is in School and he does something wrong certainly the teacher should verbally correct him and thats it noting more.
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Dec 23, 2012
spare the rod and spoil the child

1 Like

Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by smartg(m): 4:26pm On Dec 23, 2012
I Would not mind if someone else should discipline my child. But the problem is that just as the mechanics drive rough when they want to taste their customers vehicles, the same thing happens when some people want to discipline other children, some people would like to discipline other children harder than they could do to their own child making the parents of the child to bcom angry.
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by favouryemmy: 6:16pm On Dec 23, 2012
Originalsly: What do you mean by discipline your child?.... and why would you have to ask someone? If you have to it means you have failed as a parent to discipline your own child and if you ask....you cant be mad with with the person for whatever method he/she chooses to use.
I would rather discipline my child myself. I know I'm more likely to do it with love than someone else, the purpose is just for correction. But I'll make him/her realize why I'm doing so.
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by favouryemmy: 6:25pm On Dec 23, 2012
agiboma: @ OP when you say "discipline" to you mean hit/beat your child. I dont beleive in spanking so i would not beat my child nor will i allow others to do so. If for example my son is in School and he does something wrong certainly the teacher should verbally correct him and thats it noting more.
There are different ways to discipline a child, but the MAIN AIM should be to make the child realize his/her wrongdoing and take correction, without necessarily inflicting harm on the child. No matter the method you choose, if you dont correct your kids when they do wrong they would grow up that way and might be a menace to society. You shd be able do it urself.
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by ifihearam: 8:31pm On Dec 23, 2012
Some of you here are ust stupid when it comes to children and discipline.The answer to the question is YES,some other people can discipline your kids for you,shuuu are you not nigerians?? since when have you started having this western mentality when you have not stepped out of your village?and yes the best and only way to discipline an african child is by spanking and flogging,all this sweet talk and petting nor dey work ooooo.

I don yarn my own finish
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by Nobody: 5:37am On Dec 24, 2012
KDULAR: Most definitely yes but to someone I respect regard and I adjudged sound because some types and aspect of discipline that are necessary, some of us as parents and individuals cannot dispense or handle adequately. To those who will not allow their child to be disciplined by someone else well nothing bad with that I just advice advise likewise that they should not ask for help or favour of any sort from someone else for their child wink

To hell with their help and favour!!! I don't need them whatsoever !! Nobody touches my kids period!

Everybody with itchy hands can keep those hands to themselves by their side / get busy with unshelled watermelon seeds / can shove it right in their behind for all I care ! Shior!
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by Impulse80(m): 6:52am On Dec 24, 2012
bigboyk: Yes, but it depends on who is disciplining my child and the severity of the discipline. I would allow a school teacher to discipline my child. I would allow my brothers and sisters to discipline my kids if they go wrong, they are even allowed to beat them reasonably. I imagine the idiot I would have become if not for the beatings from my Mom and teachers. It puts a certain degree of fear in kids. Even the Bible says 'spare the rod and spoil the child'. We shouldn't try to be like the west. A society where kids can use the 'F' word on parents or elders without any fear. No wonder you have kids shooting up schools in the west- they were brought up without discipline and fear. If my kid goes wrong, please, Nairalanders, give him a little and reasonable dose of spanking to put him in line. There was a day a 5 year old son of my neighbour hit me with the sole of his mother's high heel shoes when I was in their house for a visit. The kind of slaps I landed on that boy that day in the presence of his Mum... Hmmmmm. I was waiting for her to protest but she kept quiet and apologised for her son's folly. If she had protested, I would have shown her my mad side too.
Bros take one bottle for my head jare! grin grin grin grin
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by Impulse80(m): 6:55am On Dec 24, 2012
Sagamite:

No way in hell will I be picking up the phone to call you because if I am not allowed to discipline your child, I would not be taking charge of them in the first place.

And if it is not even a case of me being in charge of them, as long as what they are doing does not affect me, I would leave them alone. Let them play football on expressway, I would call my own child in and leave them to it.

@ OP,

Obviously it is not a funky proposition but I can let other people discipline my kids. It would obviously not be the whole world or just any adult but there are several friends and family I would be happy to allow discipline my kids. And, trust me, I would love my child as much as, if not more than, you love yours. I am just not a funky parent.

I don't think my sister-in-law and brother can ever dare say I can not discipline my nephews because no be me born dem. undecided If they step out of line, I would smack them. The prats are lucky I have not done it so far. The only case of smacking I gave was when the older one was always playing very rough with his 1 year old brother. He was actually trying to show love and play with him by hugging him but he was so forceful as a 3 year old, yanking the neck, squeezing him too tight and also doing it too frequently to the frustration of the 1 year old that just wanted to exercise his freedom to explore and rearrange the house (like an interior designer). You tell him to stop but 5 minutes later he is doing it again in a dangerous way that he could actually hurt the younger one. It was me, my mum and the nanny that were home. Even my mum was getting angry at the frequency and everytime I tell him to stop, he would only stop and then do it again in a few minutes. After a while my mum was saying "What kind of uncle are you sef? Smack him jor". After a while, after the umpteenth time and I saw he was not stopping, I took him and gave him 2 slaps on the bum bum. He looked at me in shock and self-pity. grin grin grin grin grin Mummy and Daddy usually smack him but Uncle has never, only kisses. grin Little prat. grin

No need to say the smack worked magic compared to the silly negotiations with a child. undecided He stopped and was now playing on his own and sometimes with his brother but with little physical contact. After a while, I too felt like showing the cute prat some love and decided to give him a cuddle. It was when he was deep into playing with a toy and he was enjoying it and just wanted to do that, so he was wriggling to be left alone. "Oooooooooh! Really?" Evil uncle just saw his opportunity. grin I grabbed him and hugged him hard and a little rough and held on to him kissing his face till his frustration was high. grin After about 20 seconds, I left him and he was slightly pissed and he was almost crying. I then told him, "You see how annoying it is. You see what you were doing to your brother and how he was irritated"? grin cool My mother was giggling and saying "Agbaya!". grin
Sagamu Sagamu grin grin Ori e pe!! grin grin
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by Impulse80(m): 6:57am On Dec 24, 2012
jidegirl12: [/b]

To hell with their help and favour!!! I don't need them whatsoever !! Nobody touches my kids period!

Everybody with itchy hands can keep those hands to themselves by their side / get busy with unshelled watermelon seeds / can shove it right in their behind for all I care ! Shior!
Go and sit down! angry angry Na only You don born pikin undecided undecided
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 24, 2012
Impulse80: Go and sit down! angry angry Na only You don born pikin undecided undecided

Hehehe..... So you've been tempted to quote me abi cos you've been trolling for a while with your bottle of stout ...,

dem swear for you? go sit your stinky behind down before thunder strike you! Abi were ni bobo yi kę? you no de check face? Local champion. angry angry

Take this for the road
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by mightlove(f): 11:31am On Dec 24, 2012
i cannot ask anyone to help ,e discipline my child, my hubby and I are capable of doing that. Afterall, we are not co-parents.
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by Ndipe(m): 10:37pm On Mar 28, 2013
Never!
Re: Would You Ask Someone Else To Discipline Your Child For You? by Bosch10(m): 8:04am On Jan 31, 2015
It actually depends on my own side.Any responsible adult must have done that if and only if my children has wronged them.i am nt in support of rude children,so they can be scolded if they choose to

(1) (2) (Reply)

/ The Husband And The Pregnancy / I Think My Neighbor's Wife Is A Virgin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.