Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,137 members, 7,814,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? (2364 Views)

My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / What Is Atheism? / Is Atheism A Belief Or Is It Truly Religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by UyiIredia(m): 2:39pm On Dec 19, 2012
Yes atheism is indeed growing in the West. I think the main cause of it was the Sep 11 attacks. After that some atheists like Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins wrote best-sellers which put atheism in the spotlight. Their books have caused many to lose faith . Also the growing proliferation of atheist blogs and sites on the Internet is exposing young people to atheist thinking. For example I didn't know much about atheism till I came to Nairaland and doubtless what atheist said has influenced me in some ways which I won't state here but later. So as you can see the Sep 11 attacks and atheist books, blogs and site is spreading atheism.

The question remains whether Christianity and other monotheistic religions can survive this onslaught. My answer is yes they will survive but could lose a considerable number of people if they don't tackle atheism head-on. But it seems they largely ignore it. Never mind the work of apologists like William Lane Craig.
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 19, 2012
Uyi Iredia: Yes atheism is indeed growing in the West. I think the main cause of it was the Sep 11 attacks. After that some atheists like Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins wrote best-sellers which put atheism in the spotlight. Their books have caused many to lose faith . Also the growing proliferation of atheist blogs and sites on the Internet is exposing young people to atheist thinking. For example I didn't know much about atheism till I came to Nairaland and doubtless what atheist said has influenced me in some ways which I won't state here but later. So as you can see the Sep 11 attacks and atheist books, blogs and site is spreading atheism.

The question remains whether Christianity and other monotheistic religions can survive this onslaught. My answer is yes they will survive but could lose a considerable number of people if they don't tackle atheism head-on. But it seems they largely ignore it. Never mind the work of apologists like William Lane Craig.

One of your more sensible posts.

While 9/11 was a catalyst, atheism was already growing before the terrorist bombing.

Christianity can not tackle atheism. How are you even going to start. Just look at Nairaland- you voted for me, an atheist in a religious section!! shocked shocked
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by UyiIredia(m): 2:54pm On Dec 19, 2012
Logicboy03:

One of your more sensible posts.

I always put a lot of thought into my post. My posts are always sensible. If not I wouldn't post.

Logicboy03: While 9/11 was a catalyst, atheism was already growing before the terrorist bombing.

I know that. But I think you should realize that 9-11 was the straw that broke the camel's back for most atheists.

Logicboy03: Christianity can not tackle atheism. How are you even going to start. Just look at Nairaland- you voted for me, an atheist in a religious section!! shocked shocked

I told you why I voted for you and that doesn't in any way mean that Christianity can't tackle atheism. Christianity has to admit it faults, clearly define and harmonize its philosophy and train more people to handle atheism (and evolution too - it's surprising some Christians believe in things that undermine their beliefs).
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Image123(m): 4:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
Logicboy03:

The op is asking a question and you are replying with proverbs. Please, is this bible school or a religious forum?

Apply commonsense abeg!
i'd help you with other versions since your regal laziness does not permit you to think deep.
Proverbs 18v11

(CEV) the rich think their money is a wall of protection.
(GNB) Rich people, however, imagine that their wealth protects them like high, strong walls around a city.

The below is not from Proverbs, go figure.
Luk 12:19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
Luk 12:20 But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
Luk 12:21 So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

There is your answer in case you are really looking for one.
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Dec 19, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

I always put a lot of thought into my post. My posts are always sensible. If not I wouldn't post.

I know that. But I think you should realize that 9-11 was the straw that broke the camel's back for most atheists.

I told you why I voted for you and that doesn't in any way mean that Christianity can't tackle atheism. Christianity has to admit it faults, clearly define and harmonize its philosophy and train more people to handle atheism (and evolution too - it's surprising some Christians believe in things that undermine their beliefs).

Well, your attempts to tackle atheism will fail. Tithe pastors are getting even more popular than the non-tithing preists and religious leaders
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Nobody: 10:37am On Dec 20, 2012
Image123:
i'd help you with other versions since your regal laziness does not permit you to think deep.
Proverbs 18v11

(CEV) the rich think their money is a wall of protection.
(GNB) Rich people, however, imagine that their wealth protects them like high, strong walls around a city.

The below is not from Proverbs, go figure.
Luk 12:19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
Luk 12:20 But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
Luk 12:21 So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

There is your answer in case you are really looking for one.

Does your bible answer even address the issue of religiosity but backwardness of Nigeria? Is the average Nigerian living well?
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Image123(m): 9:08pm On Dec 20, 2012
Logicboy03:

Does your bible answer even address the issue of religiosity but backwardness of Nigeria? Is the average Nigerian living well?
confirm that this is a different question as i suppose?
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Dec 20, 2012
Image123:
confirm that this is a different question as i suppose?

Possibly?
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Image123(m): 9:26pm On Dec 20, 2012
Logicboy03:

Possibly?
I'm to possibly assume that you're satisfied with the answer to the first?
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Dec 20, 2012
Image123:
I'm to possibly assume that you're satisfied with the answer to the first?

Yes and no.

While a highly educated rich man can easily drop religion and god because he realises that they are not necessary, there are still some who take religion seriously.
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Image123(m): 9:46pm On Dec 20, 2012
Logicboy03:

Yes and no.

While a highly educated rich man can easily drop religion and god because he realises that they are not necessary, there are still some who take religion seriously.
that a person, say a rich person, disbelieves God doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. You asked for the reason, recall?
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Dec 20, 2012
Image123:
that a person, say a rich person, disbelieves God doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. You asked for the reason, recall?

Okay.
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Image123(m): 9:54pm On Dec 20, 2012
Logicboy03:

good, so to this. It is righteousness that exalts a person, not religion. Religion is not righteousness. Many Christians and pastors would readily say that Christianity is not a religion. Many Nigerians are religious but not righteous. The Bible is packed with promises for the righteous, but not so for the religious. The religious are on their own as it were, but the righteous are in everlasting remembrance, and as many as seek the righteousness of God, blessing will be added to them.
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Dec 20, 2012
Image123:
good, so to this. It is righteousness that exalts a person, not religion. Religion is not righteousness. Many Christians and pastors would readily say that Christianity is not a religion. Many Nigerians are religious but not righteous. The Bible is packed with promises for the righteous, but not so for the religious. The religious are on their own as it were, but the righteous are in everlasting remembrance, and as many as seek the righteousness of God, blessing will be added to them.

Okay, no probs but then, is the righteousness a Nigerian thing? Because you can point to America and you will find many religious but arrogant douchebags that believe God is for only america
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Image123(m): 10:27pm On Dec 20, 2012
Logicboy03:

Okay, no probs but then, is the righteousness a Nigerian thing? Because you can point to America and you will find many religious but arrogant douchebags that believe God is for only america
The Word of God applies to everybody everywhere.
where do you stand, are there many religious people to be found in America or many atheists?
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Dec 20, 2012
Image123:
The Word of God applies to everybody everywhere.
where do you stand, are there many religious people to be found in America or many atheists?

America is more religious than irreligious but atheism is seriously growing there!
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Tonyet1(m): 11:59pm On Dec 20, 2012
@OP,

While i may not hesitate to agree with your claims, I may however assume that you know that the same claims have its premise culled from the holy bible. Matthew 24:12 - 'because of the increase in wickedness, men's love for christ will wax cold'

My point: It is very obvious that the world in its entirety have been sunk in wickedness, and the church is no exemption from this virus. Infact recent happenings in the body of Christ are revealing more and more that Christianity may just be a stone throw from partial extinction. No thanks to the wolves we have as Shepherds in sheep's clothing. Though our consolation is that the bible said these things must happen, and when they do, we should not be taken by surprise.

My submission: Pro-atheist should not hail their seemingly folly as been responsible for the defects in earth's most revered faith, rather they should check the same book for the next happening after the decline in its sequence.

God bless you. Hi Mr Image123 longest time!
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Nobody: 1:00am On Dec 21, 2012
Tonye-t:
@OP,

While i may not hesitate to agree with your claims, I may however assume that you know that the same claims have its premise culled from the holy bible. Matthew 24:12 - 'because of the increase in wickedness, men's love for christ will wax cold'

My point: It is very obvious that the world in its entirety have been sunk in wickedness, and the church is no exemption from this virus. Infact recent happenings in the body of Christ are revealing more and more that Christianity may just be a stone throw from partial extinction. No thanks to the wolves we have as Shepherds in sheep's clothing. Though our consolation is that the bible said these things must happen, and when they do, we should not be taken by surprise.

My submission: Pro-atheist should not hail their seemingly folly as been responsible for the defects in earth's most revered faith, rather they should check the same book for the next happening after the decline in its sequence.

God bless you. Hi Mr Image123 longest time!

Yawn.
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Image123(m): 1:18am On Dec 21, 2012
heeeeeeeey, tonye t for tithes. How you dey? hope it is well? Well folks like you no fit get wahala as God's puppets. lol.
seriously, It is well with you Mon Ami.
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Image123(m): 1:30am On Dec 21, 2012
Logicboy03:

America is more religious than irreligious but atheism is seriously growing there!
hahaha i get you, was just pulling your nostrils. The 'righteousness thing' applies to all. If you're righteous, or do righteous things, there is blessing. The West has exercised some form of righteousness and are majorly benefitting from it, especially from the heritage passed to them.
Proverbs 20:7 The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.

The our people them, are suffering from the years wasted in idolatry and unrighteous foundations of their ancestry. And they're coupling it with religion instead of righteousness, which is the way out. Unfortunately for the west, they're trifling with the right foundations and time will tell, they are going to suffer too.
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Nobody: 1:35am On Dec 21, 2012
two reasons:

christianity and islam.
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Nobody: 1:41am On Dec 21, 2012
*Kails*:
two reasons:

christianity and islam.

Care to explain further? smiley
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by Nobody: 1:42am On Dec 21, 2012
Image123:
hahaha i get you, was just pulling your nostrils. The 'righteousness thing' applies to all. If you're righteous, or do righteous things, there is blessing. The West has exercised some form of righteousness and are majorly benefitting from it, especially from the heritage passed to them.
Proverbs 20:7 The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.

The our people them, are suffering from the years wasted in idolatry and unrighteous foundations of their ancestry. And they're coupling it with religion instead of righteousness, which is the way out. Unfortunately for the west, they're trifling with the right foundations and time will tell, they are going to suffer too.

You have an apocalyptic vision of the future.

Good luck with that.
Re: Christian Answers Series 1; Why Is Atheism Growing In The West? by KateSpade(f): 4:59am On Dec 21, 2012
Not everyone is exposed to Christianity in a Christian way.

Also, I believe that some people may convert back to Christianity or convert to Christianity from other religions during certain periods of their life. Sometimes it just takes a journey.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Did Methuselah Achieve Anything Other Than Living For 969 Years? / Vatican: ‘Homosexuals Have Gifts And Qualities To Offer Christians’ / Flashback: True Account Of Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.