Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

Interview With Team UNILAG - Google Apps Contest Winner. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Interview With Team UNILAG - Google Apps Contest Winner. (1315 Views)

Submission Window Opens For Google Apps Developer Challenge , 24 Days Left / Google IO Update For The Google Apps Developer Challenge / Win Up To $20k In The Google Apps Developer Challenge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interview With Team UNILAG - Google Apps Contest Winner. by hischoice(m): 12:17pm On Dec 18, 2012
Google, in November 2012 presented Bolutife Ogunsola, Michael Adeyeri and Willie Aniebiet a cheque of $20,000 for creating the Form+ application software; an interface that creates application forms by just dragging and dropping components. The user can create forms – such as curriculum vitae (CV) or résumé submission forms for businesses and coursework submission page for lecturers.

Speaking for Team UNILAG in an exclusive interview with The Engineering Network, a member of the three-man team, Michael Adeyeri, right in picture, explains the concept behind the award winning application, the team work edge and living with and feeding from apps development.

What's your motivation in the science of apps development?
We all studied engineering because we love to create. App development is just one of the ways (and actually an accessible one) of expressing a flare for creation.

Educate us on the architecture of the Form+ app, tell us about the language of coding and give us a quick sweep through the algorithm?
Form+ back-end is written in Python programming language and it runs on Google App Engine.
Form+ Frontend: Javascript, HTML5, CSS
We used a couple of Google APIs too, e.g, The Google Drive API, URL Shortner API, and so on

How long did it take you to deliver, what challenges did you meet en-route delivery and how did you overcome them?
We worked on the application (at different rates though, due to school work) throughout the stretch of the competition up until the last minute of submission,
We had 3 to 4 all weekend "hackathon".
The major challenges we faced was getting familiar with the Google platform (Drive API) and ease of testing in the face of poor internet connectivity, I can remember it took about 2 hours to deploy the last set of changes

Why have a team/synergy to develop an app? Any advantage over handling the project in solo?
Well, I ll like to say we won’t have been able to achieve this without contributions from everybody, for instance our awesome tutorial video.
People have different inclinations/specialty. I prefer back-end for instance, doesn't mean I can handle front-end but we left that for the person who is stronger in that area. The advantage of having a team is the improved overall quality of the application produced.

Coding as a means of self-employment in Nigeria, how viable is it?
Software Development is actually viable as a means of self employment. One of the advantages of the internet is that it opens one up to the global market (which is really big). Also, you don't have to restrict development for a local market (i.e. solving problems for a relatively slow local market). Sridhar Vembu successfully created Zoho, a global cloud software comapny from the stables of India. Nigeria doesn't seem to me to be intrinsically disadvantaged in the creation of a software company

The future of computing is gradually moving mobile. How ready do you think Nigerian developers are ready for the enormous challenge ahead?
I think Nigerian developers are already taking advantage of the mobile arena. Interesting applications are being developed by Nigerians. AfriNolly is an excellent example, it won the Android development by Google last year and is currently on all mobile platforms. Danfo is also an excellent game on the Nokia platform developed by Nigerians.

Any inherent traits in a person that point to the fact that he would make an excellent app developer? (Are apps developers born or made?)
I think a necessary trait for a software developer (and indeed any form of engineer) is perseverance. It usually takes time and effort to create solutions and during this time it might seem as though nothing is happening.
One of my mentors taught me the process concept.
No matter how difficult a task is, try to have at it. On your journey to the goal, there are a lot of skills you'll pick up on the way that you won't even realize.
So, in the end, it's not the goal that really matters, it's the journey.

Advice for would-be developers
Practice Practice Practice. Practice makes perfect. Stay abreast of what's happening in the Tech Space. Be consistent and you need perseverance and most importantly, adopt the process concept described above.

Where does Team UNILAG go from here?
A successful software development firm, our first product FORM+ (www.formpl.us)

Source: http://go.engineer-ng.net/profiles/blogs/exclusive-interview-with-google-apps-development-contest-winners

Re: Interview With Team UNILAG - Google Apps Contest Winner. by Chimanet(m): 3:03pm On Dec 18, 2012
Am really impressed by this interview. i know 1 day we will get dia
Re: Interview With Team UNILAG - Google Apps Contest Winner. by oremisussan: 6:38pm On Dec 19, 2012
This is a story of some three resilient developers. Something to take home for those who have just barely learned to write the HeLLoWOrLD code in python and are already considering moving over to JAVA.

Perseverance!
Perseverance!!
Perseverance!!!

2 Likes

Re: Interview With Team UNILAG - Google Apps Contest Winner. by PrinceNN(m): 3:02am On Dec 20, 2012
Nyc 1

(1) (Reply)

Did You Guys Do These At School? / Help A Newbie Php Programmer / Have You Ever Developed A Website For Someone Without Accessing Their Cpanel?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.