Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,333 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:56 AM

Leadership Qualities In The Major Tribes (strength And Weakness) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Leadership Qualities In The Major Tribes (strength And Weakness) (1626 Views)

10 African Countries With The Highest Military Strength And Fire Power / Buhari's Performance At APC Primaries Shows His Weakness - Former CNN Reporter / Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Leadership Qualities In The Major Tribes (strength And Weakness) by Ikengawo: 10:22am On Dec 19, 2012
I've noticed that Hausa/Fulani are very good at implementing law and order to a situation. When power is given to a northerner, subordinates stop playing games. This can be seen with
Buhari
Abacha
Sanusi
Jega
Ribadu
Yar' Adua (rule of law, war on boko haram, niger delta peace)

The major weakness in leadership is a lack of value for the future. Northern leaders are content with poverty, and outdated beliefs. Instead of challenging these beliefs and practices they often use administrative functions to promote and prolong them leading to total social disaster. A lot of this comes purely from arrogance or a belief in having a superior culture and way of life. Openness to new ideas is replaced by an over emphasize or fanaticism about culture and religion, and often to more detrimental aspects of both. The northern leadership doesn't understand that in order to move to the future you have to leave the past.

Yoruba leaders a very good at thinking into the future. Of all the major tribes i can say they're the most adept to planning and concern about future generations. They of all the tribe have the best sense of foresight in administrative positions.
Fashola
Tinubu
Awolowo
and now the current stock on ACN governors

Their weakness to me seems to be a love for power for the sake of power, and politics for the sake of politics. Normally when a yoruba is in control, be it private, or public sector tribal elements, political affiliation and family ties become the order of the day, enemies are made out of thin air, and everyone becomes divided. Politics never seems to stop even when in power causing the institution they lead to be focused more on politics than the job at hand.

Igbos are best at making things work/happen. When a situation is in a state of complete comatose, igbo leadership usually pumps life blood into it and things begin working again. Igbos have a strong 'can do' spirit and when in leadership whatever department they reign over becomes more industrious, more profitable, and more result oriented. If they set themselves to a goal, it will be done. My examples would be
Azikiwe
Rochas
Soludo
Ojukwu
Barth Nnaji
Okonjo Iweala
Dora Akuyili

their weakness lies in poor micro management skills and over estimation of their capabilities. Igbo leaders are stuck down because they tend to not know they have a limit. At the same time though things begin functioning, bringing in results, and coming to life as they're supposed to, subordinates are often given too much independence leading to chaos and mismanagement.

there are people on the list i don't care for but im not going to deny their qualities, nor will i be mute about the weaknesses they possess even if i like them. I think that by mixing these abilities we will create a more functional nigeria. This is why our most mixed cities are our most functional. I think the transition from Soludo, who made the Nigerian banking industry boom to Sanusi who brought order to the rampant corruption and malpractice brought on by the boom (though the growth went cooled down significantly) is a perfect example.
Re: Leadership Qualities In The Major Tribes (strength And Weakness) by Ikengawo: 10:31am On Dec 19, 2012
There are of course bastards in each tribe that do the opposite of what their culture would imply that should do and thus make my assertion far from concrete (though still noticeable).
Re: Leadership Qualities In The Major Tribes (strength And Weakness) by DuduNegro: 10:45am On Dec 19, 2012
Ike, very precise!. nice insight and this should serve as good feedback to the leaders themselves.

I will eve help you analyze it deeper by following up on the attributes you gave to categorize the equating energy or elements.

Hausa - fire element .....regulate
Yoruba - air element......strategize
Igbo - earth element.......execute

1 Like

Re: Leadership Qualities In The Major Tribes (strength And Weakness) by Nobody: 11:54am On Dec 19, 2012
This is why tribalism and ethnicity MUST be flushed out of our system if Nigeria is going to move forward.
I like your analysis Ike.
Re: Leadership Qualities In The Major Tribes (strength And Weakness) by Nobody: 2:19pm On Dec 19, 2012
Hmmm... There's an element of truth to this write-up, except that it is too generalized, and it's also silent on the "minority" tribes.

That said, we need to work towards emphasizing our similarities and strengths, not our differences and weaknesses.
Re: Leadership Qualities In The Major Tribes (strength And Weakness) by passion007: 5:17pm On Dec 19, 2012
All generalizations are false...including this one.:-)

1 Like

Re: Leadership Qualities In The Major Tribes (strength And Weakness) by DuduNegro: 5:32pm On Dec 19, 2012
passion007: All generalizations are false...including this one.:-)

the law of "average" still works.

1 Like

Re: Leadership Qualities In The Major Tribes (strength And Weakness) by BlackBaron: 5:41pm On Dec 19, 2012
I daresay True leaders are not yet born.

Most highlighted sans Fashola, Ribadu and 2 others are a bunch of selfish charlatans, ingrates, tribalists and looters.

1 Like

Re: Leadership Qualities In The Major Tribes (strength And Weakness) by Ikengawo: 6:16pm On Dec 19, 2012
Idk too much about minorities tribes because i haven't seen them in positions of power as often as i have the majority ones.
I do know that of an environment is left to one tribe alone it will excel at some things and fail at others miserably.

Aba for instance is a result of a city that's too igbo. commerce, enterprise, industry and innovation are there in abundance, but management of the important details aren't there and the city is a human waste land.
the north, despite the news we hear is the most orderly part of the country. people drive sensibly, follow laws and more importantly respect the law because it's enforced without questions. The problem is there's no enterprise, innovation or commerce and most of the cities are dry and can't survive without federal welfare because nobody is doing anything. In the west, all the potential in the world is there and it's an enclave of great leaders with vision (awolowo's free education for example, and abiola's philanthropic schools, ), but years of misrule and an obsession by yoruba politicians on politics alone has turned the west into a basket of wasted potential.

of the minorities tribes i will say the Ibibio/Calabari excel at leadership and administration. Awka Ibom and Calabar can't be compared to anywhere else in the nation. They're good at finding what their comparative advantage is an capitalizing on it. I don't know enough about them to further elaborate.

I know that a weakness among Niger Delta leaders is a habit of seeking conflict. If a group of Niger Deltans get together to do something it often erupts into a fight verbal and sometimes physical. They're very 'hot headed' and are prone to saying ridiculous dramatic things. Igbos on the other hand are fixated on differences. If there's one group working for the advancement of igbos, in due time all it's members will start their own small inefficient ones and leave the original one as a shell of it's former self. Everyone wants to be the chief and again can't scale their limits accurately.
Re: Leadership Qualities In The Major Tribes (strength And Weakness) by Nobody: 10:01pm On Dec 19, 2012
Interesting.
Re: Leadership Qualities In The Major Tribes (strength And Weakness) by ZeusI: 10:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
Sound observation! And the element guy added a nice recipe.
Re: Leadership Qualities In The Major Tribes (strength And Weakness) by Nobody: 6:58am On Dec 20, 2012
Oga stop dreaming, the real truth is there is hate against one another in the heart of an average Nigerian

(1) (Reply)

Pictures Tu Face's Car With David Marks Name On It / ASUU Has Been Politically Infiltrated : federal Government / 2015: Sen David Mark's Seat Not Contestable - Suswam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.