Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,925 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:43 PM

How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? (33357 Views)

Gifts Of The Holyspirit : I Can Tell The Ones You Have / Is The Holyspirit This Cheap?? / How Can One Sin Against The Holyspirit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by mployer(m): 10:48am On Dec 23, 2012
inurmind: A popular pastor once said the holyspirit and the conscience were the same thing. Many people do believe this. But I greatly disagree with them, why?

Now in the bible, the holyspirit is described as a life force in u, one that jesus has sent to guide u while he is away.
U can liken him to a teacher who is always there with u, to direct u, to enlighten u, to counsel, empower and strengthen u.
Ofcourse with him u can hardly do any wrong because he will always be there to discourage u from doing it or to scold u when u have.
But yes, there is also something to do that for you, your conscience.

According to merriam webster a conscience is the sense or consciousness of the moral goodness or blamewortiness of ones own conduct, intentions or character together with a feeling or obligation to do right or be good.
Its what prevents little joy from stealing meat from the obvious place, or disturbs tiny timi when he has done so.
So u see, unlike the holy spirit which is meant to come upon u after being born again, the conscience has been there from birth, u were born with it.
Besides, I have a conscience, advocate666 has one, pagan9ja has one (if u doubt that notice u are still alivecheesy) and we definitely don't have the holyspirit.
So we can fairly conclude that they are different.

But another problem comes in, how do u differentiate between the both of them? Generally speaking how do u differentiate between the spiritual and your mind?

When I used to go to church, my beloved pastor who I would like to call davido, used to gist us(one to many times though), about how the holy spirit led him about when he was still an average man.
He described the holy spirits voice as being strong, tough, almost british-like, kinda like what u hear in a lord of the rings movie.
Putting into account that the holy spirit's voice was described in the bible as being soft, that always made me chuckle and be like ''are u sure this guy is not imagining things? maybe thats just what he wants to hear''.

And so that brings me to the question: if a popular guy could probably have mixed things up like that, how much less u?
It must be pretty hard differentiating a messge from the spiritual and your mind playing tricks on you.
So how do u do it?
Do u just accept anything? Do u try to control ur mind? Do u pray?
How?
Or will u still agree that they are all the same?

Please do a little thinking for me my dear christians, and do come back with sensible answers.
Thank u!

ur concience is a product ur environment and not credible in differentiating right from wrong. For instance, a suicide bomber has a clear concience. Yes! He do. He has no feeling of guilt in what he is doing because the teachings he'd received and environment he grew has formed his conscience as such. In conclusion, our conscience picks from what the society believes to be right or wrong, but the Holy Spirit tells us what God sees as right or wrong even if it contradicts societal views.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by mployer(m): 10:49am On Dec 23, 2012
inurmind: A popular pastor once said the holyspirit and the conscience were the same thing. Many people do believe this. But I greatly disagree with them, why?

Now in the bible, the holyspirit is described as a life force in u, one that jesus has sent to guide u while he is away.
U can liken him to a teacher who is always there with u, to direct u, to enlighten u, to counsel, empower and strengthen u.
Ofcourse with him u can hardly do any wrong because he will always be there to discourage u from doing it or to scold u when u have.

According to merriam webster a conscience is the sense or consciousness of the moral goodness or blamewortiness of ones own conduct, intentions or character together with a feeling or obligation to do right or be good.
Its what prevents little joy from stealing meat from the obvious place, or disturbs tiny timi when he has done so.
So u see, unlike the holy spirit which is meant to come upon u after being born again, the conscience has been there from birth, u were born with it.
Besides, I have a conscience, advocate666 has one, pagan9ja has one (if u doubt that notice u are still alivecheesy) and we definitely don't have the holyspirit.

But another problem comes in, how do u differentiate between the both of them? Generally speaking how do u differentiate between the spiritual and your mind?

When I used to go to church, my beloved pastor who I would like to call davido, used to gist us(one to many times though), about how the holy spirit led him about when he was still an average man.
He described the holy spirits voice as being strong, tough, almost british-like, kinda like what u hear in a lord of the rings movie.
Putting into account that the holy spirit's voice was described in the bible as being soft, that always made me chuckle and be like ''are u sure this guy is not imagining things? maybe thats just what he wants to hear''.

And so that brings me to the question: if a popular guy could probably have mixed things up like that, how much less u?
It must be pretty hard differentiating a messge from the spiritual and your mind playing tricks on you.
So how do u do it?
How?

Please do a little thinking for me my dear christians, and do come back with sensible answers.
Thank u!

ur concience is a product ur environment and not credible in differentiating right from wrong. For instance, a suicide bomber has a clear concience. Yes! He do. He has no feeling of guilt in what he is doing because the teachings he'd received and environment he grew has formed his conscience as such. In conclusion, our conscience picks from what the society believes to be right or wrong, but the Holy Spirit tells us what God sees as right or wrong even if it contradicts societal views.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by GEJPFOOD: 10:49am On Dec 23, 2012
Billyonaire: Actually what the people who say "God told me" refer to is the "intuitive conscience". Holy spirit is just a misguided term given to conscience. The theory of Holy Spirit is a religious lie. There was spirit before Jesus and there is Spirit after his dead. Jesus didnt send no Holy Spirit, cos he was dead and buried.

He was dead, buried and rose again after 3 days. Get your fact right!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by mployer(m): 10:49am On Dec 23, 2012

So how do u do it?
How?

Thank u!

Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by Nobody: 10:50am On Dec 23, 2012
Billyonaire: Jesus the Christ (May his soul rest in peace) never made that statement. Ask the editors and writers of the modern bible where they drafted those statements from. You need to dig a little deeper than the bible to find out core truth about this planet and the people that existed. Bible isnt a dogma code. Expand your search. What you call "Holy Spirit" was always there from inception of the world and will remain till the next 80 billion years when this planet burns out. It is the cause of all things. If you insist that Jesus sent holy spirit, then he lied.

Your realm of search and researches are limited then, if you are only working on things that you can observe with your 5 physical senses, you need to start doing you investigations in the fourth dimension. When you do this then I will take your words more seriously
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by Nobody: 10:51am On Dec 23, 2012
m-ployer:
[b]ur concience is a product ur environment and not credible in differentiating right from wrong. For instance, a suicide bomber has a clear concience. Yes! He do. He has no feeling of guilt in what he is doing because the teachings he'd received and environment he grew has formed his conscience as such. In conclusion, our conscience picks from what the society believes to be right or wrong. but the Holy Spirit tells us what God sees as right or wrong even if it contradicts societal views.
First paragraph is very accurate. Conscience is subjective mind and most times preachers in both Islam and Christianism act on it as God's command, even suicide bombers believe they are working for God when guided by their conscience.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by k10: 10:53am On Dec 23, 2012
Mostly through experienc, as you become more mature and have deeper fellowship with the Holy Spirty, you begin to differentiate.
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by Ideasroole: 10:56am On Dec 23, 2012
Billyonaire: Actually what the people who say "God told me" refer to is the "intuitive conscience". Holy spirit is just a misguided term given to conscience. The theory of Holy Spirit is a religious lie. There was spirit before Jesus and there is Spirit after.... Jesus didnt send no Holy Spirit...
How interesting to know..
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by mployer(m): 10:58am On Dec 23, 2012
Sori 4 ma repeated posts. Dis ma brouser sef angry
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by Troll: 10:59am On Dec 23, 2012
The Human Conscience Is Debatable, Controllable And Changeable.
The Holy Spirit Is An Undebatable, UnChangeable Pure Force That Takes Control Of You As Long As You Submit To It Willingly. It Is Unbiased And Needs A Certain Level Of Purity Of The Mind Before It Can Relate To The Receiver.
If Your Mind Is Filthy, You Cannot Communicate With The Holy Spirit Unless You Purge Yourself Of That Filth.
Being In The Realm Of The Holy Spirit Is A Transition From Your Carnal Mind To A Level Of SuperNatural Mind Control In It's' Pure Form' (Hence The Evil Spirit Is A Dark Force Which Also Is A Supernatural Force Which Spurs It's Receiver To Think/Act Evil). These Spirits Take Control Of You And Is Clearly Different From Your Conscience Which You Are In Control Of.
In Essence, You Are The Master Of Your Conscience Whilst The Holy Spirit Is The Master Of A Pure Mind And The Evil Spirit The Master Of A Dark Soul.

...That's My Opinion Though. Many Mysteries Exists Behind The Supernatural.

P.S - @OP and All, Take Caution In The Way You Define The Holy Spirit. Like I Said "It's An Undebatable, Unchangeable Pure Force." It Is Unforgiveable In Nature, In Otherwords It Has No Heart To Forgive When Provoked. It Is Clearly Different From God Who Can Forgive All Sins, It Is The Force Which God Operates With And It Moves Everywhere. THERE IS NO REMISSION OF SIN AGAINST THE HOLY SPIRIT.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by miqos02(m): 11:00am On Dec 23, 2012
why are we comparing the holy spirit and conscience. i believe God uses the holy spirit to communicate to people.
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by Ngwakwe: 11:02am On Dec 23, 2012
@Op
There are many reason for raising a topic or asking an intelligent question

Let me teach you some norms,

1. When you raise a topic out of curiosity and innocence of your heart, you are bound to attract open minds that will contribute and do justice to your topic while not forcing their belief on you.

2. You can raise a topic for general debate. In this you will be able to bring together opposing minds who will argue for and against which will help you to understand some people and while they think the way they do. Secondly, debates help to moderate some radical dogma held by people be it political, religious or nationalistic.

3. You can raise a topic to denigrate a section of the society or their believe. In this you found out that your stupidity will be exposed through your bias moderation/taken side with closed mind from hearing the opposing view thereby attracting only your likes and radicalizing the other opposing view that you are trying to win.

IT ALWAYS GOOD TO BE WISE.

Remember, it is not always good to say the Right thing at the wrong time irrespective of how politically, religiously or nationalistically wise you may be.
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by dilbert100: 11:04am On Dec 23, 2012
undecided
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by claremont(m): 11:04am On Dec 23, 2012
That 'still small voice' they claim to hear is not different from the voices lunatics claim to hear in their heads.
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by onyeego(m): 11:05am On Dec 23, 2012
OP, let me try to clarify some misconceptions about the Holy spirit before I attempt ur question.

1. The holy spirit does not talk to people.(Jesus said he will send a comforter, not a guide)

The holy spirit doesn't protect anyone(that's the work of angels)

2. You can't cast out demon/devils by the "power of the holy spirit"(you cast out demons in d name of Jesus)

3. There is no "holy ghost fire!"(I don't know where this came from)

4. There is no gift as "having the holy spirit"
(one can have the gifts of prophecy,tongues,evangelism, etc)

Note: d holy spirit is different from the SPIRIT OF GOD

From the above, its easy to conclude that your question is wrong in the first place cos the holy spirit does not speak you.

The ways to hear from God is through his WORD d BIBLE or through a person who has the GIFT OF PROPHECY.
Everyone will not have the gift of prophecy.
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by moderatorr: 11:07am On Dec 23, 2012
na so e dey take start

Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by jaydude(f): 11:09am On Dec 23, 2012
would all the aethists commenting on this thread just s..hut up! angry nobody asked u if the Holy spirit exists or not..we all have the right to believe whatever we want to so just save it! the question is how do u differentiate bw the Holy spirit and your conscience..moderators please look into this issue of senseless arguements when a question is asked, especially deviating from the topic its really getting out of hand
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by DeCleff(m): 11:16am On Dec 23, 2012
ooman: There is no holy spirit. There is only sick people hallucinating about spirits that dont exist

There was the Holy Spirit, there is the Holy Spirit & there will always be the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of the Living God.

@OP

The Holy Spirit speaks the will of God to us in line with God's Word.

Example: The Holy Spirit leads us to repentance and inspires us to pray & preach the gospel.

Our conscience on the other hand will lead us live according to the flesh.
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by Nobody: 11:18am On Dec 23, 2012
Crase dey worry u, u call am Holy vodka..

Chei ya..
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by omosexy1: 11:20am On Dec 23, 2012
Billyonaire: Actually what the people who say "God told me" refer to is the "intuitive conscience". Holy spirit is just a misguided term given to conscience. The theory of Holy Spirit is a religious lie. There was spirit before Jesus and there is Spirit after his dead. Jesus didnt send no Holy Spirit, cos he was dead and buried.

I like the way this guy talk sometimes. Without fear no rancour, he says the truth.
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by emmatok(m): 11:21am On Dec 23, 2012
You conscience is part of you system(body), but the holyspirit is an external force that controls you.
Its your choice to allow him.
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by drstan(m): 11:36am On Dec 23, 2012
Op@ they are different,your conscience can lie to you but the holy spirit can never lie to you. How your conscience lie?(your conscience said,i think this girl love me the way she is buying gift for and calling me every time,i think i just have to ask her out, but the holy spirit will say no she is just trying to show the love of christ dont ask her out. You know what the holy spirit give you directive but your conscience dont
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by Nobody: 11:38am On Dec 23, 2012
I'll say your conscience is the knowledge of good and evil- we all start to learn this as soon as we're old enough to be punished; and the Holy Spirit is that part of God in you, that enables you to 'foresee' things, like intuition, for example.
When God said, humans are created in his image, He surely wasn't talking about physical image, there's a little bit of God in us- the ability to create, build, heal, solve problems, predict future happenings, and whatnot, are the God-like characteristics of man. It's even written in the bible, 'Know ye not that ye are gods?'

The Holy Spirit is the 'God-particle' in us.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by cr8v(f): 11:47am On Dec 23, 2012
@OP, go back to page one I have answered your enquiry. God bless you
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by Sunjos: 11:48am On Dec 23, 2012
ooman: There is no holy spirit. There is only sick people hallucinating about spirits that dont exist
may God forgive you.
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by ooman(m): 11:49am On Dec 23, 2012
OK, let me settle this. Your conscience is the Holy Spirit. You worship yourselves. Simple as that
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by EBrokerNezer: 11:50am On Dec 23, 2012
Nice good for thought here. it's funny how Christianity, which is (supposed) to be the ultimate religion, is fraught by so much controversy... From division amongst Christians to our jet setting MOGs... But insight shows that all these are fulfilling prophesies... na for this reason Bible tell us say Salvation dey personal.... Now to the question at hand, they are two different entities.... Baba God been create us with Free Will and subsequently a conscience... In the Old Testament especially prior to the 10 Commandments people served God in whatever way they deemed right, that na function of conscience.... The Holy Spirit didn't manifest until after Christ had returned to heaven.... The Holy Spirit is here to guide us in this dispensation... Weytin come be the difference you ask? Christians are supposed to live above to standards of the world, that isn't humanly possible.... Only by Grace through the Holy Spirit... conscience guides our "earthly" actions, the Holy Spirit, our spiritual.... Conscience go tell you make you share weytin you get, Holy Spirit go tell you to give everything out and believe in God..... The reason most Christians don't get answers to their prayers and keep jumping from pastor to pastor, ma because them no dey trust Baba fully.... Without faith, it is impossible to serve him.... Stay Blessed
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by mu2sa2: 12:07pm On Dec 23, 2012
So many christians would sometimes preface their statement with "God told me". Are they not fantasizing?
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by paranorman(m): 12:12pm On Dec 23, 2012
Gabriel_sylar: Dis question is funny “how do u diffrecuate between water and river“
hmmm... Don't tel me u don't knw a diference exits! Dependin on the type and size of water,we have seas,rivers,lagoons e.t.c just have we have humainbeings with different races(nature/color of skin)
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by emmatok(m): 12:24pm On Dec 23, 2012
Cori_corde: I'll say your conscience is the knowledge of good and evil- we all start to learn this as soon as we're old enough to be punished; and the Holy Spirit is that part of God in you, that enables you to 'foresee' things, like intuition, for example.
When God said, humans are created in his image, He surely wasn't talking about physical image, there's a little bit of God in us- the ability to create, build, heal, solve problems, predict future happenings, and whatnot, are the God-like characteristics of man. It's even written in the bible, 'Know ye not that ye are gods?'

The Holy Spirit is the 'God-particle' in us.

Well the Holy spirit is an external force.
Just like we have evil spirits.

Both the holy spirit and Evil spirit don't have control over you.

Its you conscience that choose what to do and whom to obey.
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by kalufelix(m): 12:26pm On Dec 23, 2012
La Professeur: L'espirit sainte ne exist pas!
Bon après-midi... Est-ce que vous parlez anglais?
Re: How Do You Differentiate Between The Holyspirit And Your Conscience? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Dec 23, 2012
free2ryhme: your conscience can lie to you but the holy spirit never lies smiley

drstan: Op@ they are different,your conscience can lie to you but the holy spirit can never lie to you. How your conscience lie?(your conscience said,i think this girl love me the way she is buying gift for and calling me every time,i think i just have to ask her out, but the holy spirit will say no she is just trying to show the love of christ dont ask her out. You know what the holy spirit give you directive but your conscience dont

first of all, do u guys know the meaning of the word ''conscience''?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oyedepo: Why Nigeria Has Not Changed For Better / Dancing In Church: First Baptist Church Agbede Warns Choir Members On Zanku, Gbe / Curious!! Breastfeeding Inside The Church, Right Or Wrong?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.