Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,613 members, 7,823,667 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities (3027 Views)

Saraki Hands Over To Ekweremadu / Aisha Buhari Commissions Ikom Health Centres, Cross River / Lamorde Hands Over To Ibrahim Magu (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by mike404(m): 9:09am On Dec 24, 2012
Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State has announced the immediate handover of all the local health facilities in the state to the communities where they are located to manage.
Obi made the announcement at Umuleri and repeated same at Atani general hospital while lunching a one day polio campaign. The handover is a fulfilment of earlier promise he handed on Tuesday during the task force on immunisation.
The governor said that the purpose of handover is to ensure that the health centres are run smoothly, as each community owe it a duty to monitor workers posted to each health facility and can decide whether such workers merited their pay. At umuleri and atani local government areas, Obi also inaugurated a task force on immunisation headed by headed by the chairman of the local government traditional rulers council. Chairman of the transition commitee of the local government, head of the department of health, local government immunization officer among others, are members of the task force. Obi urged the task force to aggressively pursue the issue of immunisation with a view to ensuring that it does not come back to the state. Earlier, the newly appointed commissioner for health, Dr. Lawrence Ikeakor, urged women to take up the challenge of making the state to retain it's polio status by getting their children immunised.

Thenationonlineng.net(SUNDAY 23 DECEMBER 2012)
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by geeez: 10:22am On Dec 24, 2012
I even thought he was presenting newly built health centers
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by cjfavour(m): 10:34am On Dec 24, 2012
Is it handed over to monitor or to run? If to monitor,fine bt if its to run my question is,which one will d govt b doing? Schools handed over to d missionaries and new ones have nt bn built and now this. The big question is,after handingover d schools,why is he still funding it? Cant d missionaries take care of it? If nt whats d sense in handing it over to them when they cant take care of it?
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by oboy3(m): 10:40am On Dec 24, 2012
I cant wait for the man's tenure to be over already,eight years in power nothing to Show for it
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:43am On Dec 24, 2012
o'boy:
I cant wait for the man's tenure to be over already,eight years in power nothing to Show for it

^^^I tire walahi!
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by 80million1: 10:44am On Dec 24, 2012
*speechless*

and so what?
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by adconline(m): 10:55am On Dec 24, 2012
So who pays the healthcare workers, Govt or communities?
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by ypzilanti: 10:56am On Dec 24, 2012
grin

How did this make front page? I was expecting to see pictures of ultramodern health care facilities.
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by 49cents(m): 10:57am On Dec 24, 2012
nairaland has turned peoe into irrational critics...who just talk, talk and talk thinking all the time to themselves how intelligent they are. Nigeria will never be better if we enter into the new year ranting at the people in helm of affairs

Critizing makes you feel you would be better but wait until see government office hehehe

I still maintain it the change that will happen in out hearts is what will change our environmrnt then our country

Mos

1 Like

Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by Nobody: 11:04am On Dec 24, 2012
This Obi doesnt know what he is doing. Healthcare is supposed to be Government's gift to the people. Now he hands off on healthcare and wants communities to take charge of their own medicare. Silly, did I say silly ? Not really, I meant to say rubbish
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by kaze4blues(m): 11:24am On Dec 24, 2012
YeyE ppl in useless region. No wonder they always beef d southwest governors in their transformatn agenda.
Clueless governor...
By the way....am 10th to comment
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by nitrogen(m): 11:25am On Dec 24, 2012
Seriously, let them stakeholders be in charge, that will aid efficiency and effectiveness, and it will reduce embezzlement and corruption.
But wait! Are they to monitor or run? If they are to run, it is nonsense, where will the funds come from? Since those health centres are part of dividends of democracy, so they can't generate fund. And if they are to monitor, the community stakeholders will always connive to enhance corruption (since it is an igbo community). So no pain, no gain.
Governor, please develop and implement better internal control measures and reverse the hand over or betterstill use those control systems to support it (hand over).
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by JosiahAnderson: 11:26am On Dec 24, 2012
Actually Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State has announced the immediate handover of all the local health facilities in the state to the communities where they are located to manage.Info Resource by Diet Solution Program

Obi made the announcement at Umueri and repeated same at Atani General Hospital while launching a one-day polio campaign.
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by Nobody: 11:37am On Dec 24, 2012
nitrogen: Seriously, let them stakeholders be in charge, that will aid efficiency and effectiveness, and it will reduce embezzlement and corruption.
But wait! Are they to monitor or run? If they are to run, it is nonsense, where will the funds come from? Since those health centres are part of dividends of democracy, so they can't generate fund. And if they are to monitor, the community stakeholders will always connive to enhance corruption (since it is an igbo community). So no pain, no gain.
Governor, please develop and implement better internal control measures and reverse the hand over or betterstill use those control systems to support it (hand over).
My brother, how do we expect communities that are not vested in medical and management sciences to know how to run life-saving centers ? Is there any country in this planet that communities run healthcare centers apart from in Obi's Anambra State ? Privatization works globally in Electricity, Telecomms, sometimes Petroleum sectors, but Health and Educational Sector's work better with Nationalization, only the government has the limitless line of credit to provide the citizens with basic healthcare and education. Obi isnt as intelligent as I thought, no wonder God blessed him with a woman's voice. (apologies to intelligent women)
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by oboy3(m): 11:46am On Dec 24, 2012
kaze4blues: YeyE ppl in useless region. No wonder they always beef d southwest governors in their transformatn agenda.
Clueless governor...
you
don go smoke gbana abi,you no come know as e dey do u?.abeg jump the lagoon
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by nitrogen(m): 11:46am On Dec 24, 2012
Billyonaire: My brother, how do we expect communities that are not vested in medical and management sciences to know how to run life-saving centers ? Is there any country in this planet that communities run healthcare centers apart from in Obi's Anambra State ? Privatization works globally in Electricity, Telecomms, sometimes Petroleum sectors, but Health and Educational Sector's work better with Nationalization, only the government has the limitless line of credit to provide the citizens with basic healthcare and education. Obi isnt as intelligent as I thought, no wonder God blessed him with a woman's voice. (apologies to intelligent women)
This got me cracked up.
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by GoodNigerian: 11:46am On Dec 24, 2012
Billyonaire: My brother, how do we expect communities that are not vested in medical and management sciences to know how to run life-saving centers ? Is there any country in this planet that communities run healthcare centers apart from in Obi's Anambra State ? Privatization works globally in Electricity, Telecomms, sometimes Petroleum sectors, but Health and Educational Sector's work better with Nationalization, only the government has the limitless line of credit to provide the citizens with basic healthcare and education. Obi isnt as intelligent as I thought, no wonder God blessed him with a woman's voice. (apologies to intelligent women)
Sen. Ngige(Onwa), where are you?
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by virus2010(m): 11:47am On Dec 24, 2012
kaze4blues: YeyE ppl in useless region. No wonder they always beef d southwest governors in their transformatn agenda.
Clueless governor...

mumu
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by omicron(m): 11:55am On Dec 24, 2012
It's a good Idea!

1 Like

Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by Igbogadi(m): 12:11pm On Dec 24, 2012
yes there is checkout this community they run healthcare www.winnunga.org.au this community is been fund by Australia government
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by Uchechrist06(m): 12:20pm On Dec 24, 2012
It z always gud 4 u 2 reason b4 u talk!!! Many pple in ds nairaland truely reason 4m der anus especially most of u who commented on ds thread b4 me. Obi handing over health centers 2 d communities z 4 effective monitorin n control. If u guys are wise enof u wil know dat wen u appoint a northerner 2 control anytin in d east n vise versa he wil surely handle it wit less concern attitude n d pple wont b free 2 xpress der greviance cos d pesin z govt appointee bt if z one of der kinsmen der can. N 4 dos of u talkin of fundin look very well in all d tins he has handed ova 2 mission or community u wil see dat govt z stil fundin dem n pay wrkers salaries, d involvement of d communities z jst 4 effective management.
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by Uchechrist06(m): 12:34pm On Dec 24, 2012
4 u kaze4blues, d book of proverb said ''.... dont respond wen a FOOL talks...'' bt same proverb said ''my son ...challenge him d FOOL wen he talks cos if u alwz kip him quiet he wil tak his foolishness 4 wisdom...''so don evn strt 2 talk abt d southeast cos southwest r d worst in all ramification, mayb u r evn 4m osun( d home of RAPIST 4m both leaders n followers)
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by kaze4blues(m): 2:16pm On Dec 24, 2012
Uchechrist06: 4 u kaze4blues, d book of proverb said ''.... dont respond wen a FOOL talks...'' bt same proverb said ''my son ...challenge him d FOOL wen he talks cos if u alwz kip him quiet he wil tak his foolishness 4 wisdom...''so don evn strt 2 talk abt d southeast cos southwest r d worst in all ramification, mayb u r evn 4m osun( d home of RAPIST 4m both leaders n followers)

See morrerfucker findin useless excuse. Kidnappin is nw d order of d day among u Igbos.
Proudly a yoruba....fyi am frm osun so make u go dive ontop concrete

1 Like

Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by SlyIg(f): 2:25pm On Dec 24, 2012
Apologies to your mum rather.

After such a nice contribution,you just decided to round it off with this insult.
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by abouzaid: 4:10pm On Dec 24, 2012
If a state in america is the first to do this, we would have been praising it but since it's obi, mumu are now talking, obi said the community manage not fund. In otherwords, the government still funds all expense and state level planning while the community leaders monitor and organize self help programs, i don't think it's a bad approach.
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by Onlytruth(m): 6:00pm On Dec 24, 2012
I see a pattern here, and I smell a rat.
What is Anambra state government doing with all the monies that come into state coffers if commununities, churches et al are the bodies running schools and healthcare services? It is an indirect way of offloading state responsibilities. Isn't this an indirect way of privatizing these public services?
I am a little concerned about Peter Obi's mad rush to unbridled capitalism. I am a capitalist with a sense of "together we rise and fall"; therefore a believer in collective responsibility secured by continued management/funding of critical infrastructure by STATE government.

O buru na ego Anambra state agwugo, biko Peter Obi gwa anyi ka anyi juo ajuju maka ya.

Meanwhile, fingers crossed. lipsrsealed
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by Onlytruth(m): 6:39pm On Dec 24, 2012
The more I think about this, the more it doesn't add up.
Okay, think of it this way. Each community will develop and manage its own health centers according to available human and material resources in the community.
There is NO WAY to get a uniform standard in these health care centres. Richer towns will have higher quality healthcare. The problem is that in the absence of state funding, it would be difficult to enforce common standards; unless of course, the whole thing is treated as purely private investment, which I suspect they will be at the end.

Nna o dikwa egwu o. undecided sad
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by ifechez: 8:39pm On Dec 24, 2012
Onlytruth: The more I think about this, the more it doesn't add up.
Okay, think of it this way. Each community will develop and manage its own health centers according to available human and material resources in the community.
There is NO WAY to get a uniform standard in these health care centres. Richer towns will have higher quality healthcare. The problem is that in the absence of state funding, it would be difficult to enforce common standards; unless of course, the whole thing is treated as purely private investment, which I suspect they will be at the end.

Nna o dikwa egwu o. undecided sad

u keep missing it. Just d way missionaries run the schools is the way communities wil monitor and supervise health care centres. They are nt to pay or hire staffs bt can recommend to govt to either sack or reward as the case may be. Ask any resident of anambra abt the level standard of education has risen since d churches started runin them. Tanx
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by MrGlobe(m): 9:06pm On Dec 24, 2012
Peter Obi remains a curse to Anambra State. The worst thing to have happened to the state since its creation. completely visionless and a thief!
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by Nobody: 3:56am On Dec 25, 2012
Guys, this is a very good idea. A health care centre is not a sophisticated medical outfit. It is the first step in the line of medical service. This idea has worked very well in the area of Education in the United states.

It allows the communities to control the services
Procure the actual service they need
Employ the calibre of staff they need
Manage resources more transparently, since people can more easily be checkmated at the local level.
It ensures that the medical facility can respond fast to the needs of the community.

However, there is a reason why it may not work well as constituted in Anambra state.
The communities need some autonomy and an accountable authority who sets up community based committees to manage such establishments.
Anambra state will have to recognise the communities as a fourth tier of government, just like Rochas has done in Imo state, but with better governance structure. I suggest a two years term Mayor, a year term Security Chief with the town Progressive Union as the Parliamentary body, The Igwe's can still remain overall heads with no political participation. This will allow community based management to be extended to all basic establishments in health, education, housing, environment, governance and taxing. Something that Anambra communities are already somewhat good at. if we do this, spate of positive development in the state will be astounding. And our spirit of healthy competition will drive it to great heights. Our retiring professionals will also have better reasons to retire to the villages where they can still make great positive contributions.
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by Uchechrist06(m): 11:42am On Dec 25, 2012
kaze4blues:

See morrerfucker findin useless excuse. Kidnappin is nw d order of d day among u Igbos.
Proudly a yoruba....fyi am frm osun so make u go dive ontop concrete
hahahahaha kaze4blues am jst lafin at ur stupidity!!! Igbo kidnaper? Hmmm i stil remenba vividly hw d wife of d speaker of houz of assembly was kidnapperd in either osun or ondo state, 2011 a traditional ruler raped a corp member posted 2 hs community rit inside his palace. Last novemba osun state houz of assembly raised in d houz d case of RAPE in d state as d record of d offence z alarmin n r considerin penalty of cutin of any offender's 'DICK' o boy na curse dey curse una Which wil i talk n liv d rest z it d celebration of TOUTS ''agboro''(Tokyo n hs cohots) in south west.
Re: Anambra Hands Over Health Centres To Communities by pazienza(m): 4:47pm On Dec 25, 2012
peter obi, too much talk,little substance. How i miss Ngige.

(1) (Reply)

Why Tussle Over' Anambra Oil Wells' Persists / GEJ Betrayed Soludo In Anambra State To Support Obi's Candidate / Kings College 2014/15 MERIT Admission list out, Igbos make 75% of top 20

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.