Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:21 AM

Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! (6226 Views)

Get A Website Account Today (99.9% Uptime). Spread The Love. / 2go Account Suspended (Latest Update) / Daily Independent Website Suspended By CoreNetHosting For "Server Overload" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by shorxynla(m): 11:02am On Dec 26, 2012
I just visit my website some days back, and all I see is account suspended. I try to find out what happen from my host,but the host didn't comes up with something reasonable. All they say is that its compromised. Till now the site is still showing account suspended

The URL of the website is www.onthirdplanet.com and the site is hosted with smartweb.

Pls fellow webmasters HELP ME Ooooooo
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by yawatide(f): 11:49am On Dec 26, 2012
They said the site is compromised, as in it might be hacked or they are using your mail server to send spam, or it could be something else. Press them more for details or threaten to close your account, or follow up legally if need be.
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by shorxynla(m): 2:04pm On Dec 26, 2012
yawa-ti-de:
They said the site is compromised, as in it might be hacked or they are using your mail server to send spam, or it could be something else. Press them more for details or threaten to close your account, or follow up legally if need be.

Thanks yawa. I sent them mail and they said. My site was running outdated scripts which I don't believe because the site is running SMF version 2.0.2.

Am totally fed up. Pls how can I follow up legally.
I don't know what to do next. Pls help me ooooo.
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by shorxynla(m): 2:51pm On Dec 26, 2012
My site is running on SMF. Its a forum and my hosting account will xpire by july next year. My site is not involve in spreading virus/malware. The hosting company (smartweb) is not even responding as if they know anything about it
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by Afam4eva(m): 3:01pm On Dec 26, 2012
Why would they even suspend one for using an outdated script. The worse they should have done is to inform the owner of the site on the need to update. I really don't know why people still host with smartweb cos a lot of people have complained about them.

@OP
Your best bet will be to look for another host. I just hope your domain is not tied to your hosting account.
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by winexviv: 3:28pm On Dec 26, 2012
The truth is smart web are just re-sellers. They are not actually the people that suspended your site and that's why they can't fix it immediately. They are just forming. Do a domain whois to find-out your real host and send them an email. I think your site was hacked or your server ip was used for scam emails or 419.
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by easyresearch(m): 3:28pm On Dec 26, 2012
some website hosting provider are in business without having knowledge of website hosting,that is why some of them are find difficulty to rectify any problem their customer has.my advice to now is to transfer your domain to another hosting provider to enable you to retain your domain name.
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by shorxynla(m): 4:58pm On Dec 26, 2012
Thanks to you all. I sent them like 10 mails and all they keep saying is that its complicated. Nothing reasonable is coming from them. I will look for another host by God's grace. One of my friend host his site with them and the site is functioning. It seems its only my site that was suspended.
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by Afam4eva(m): 5:00pm On Dec 26, 2012
shorxynla: Thanks to you all. I sent them like 10 mails and all they keep saying is that its complicated. Nothing reasonable is coming from them. I will look for another host by God's grace. One of my friend host his site with them and the site is functioning. It seems its only my site that was suspended.
Do you have your domain and files?
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by shorxynla(m): 6:22pm On Dec 26, 2012
I have the site backups
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by yawatide(f): 6:32pm On Dec 26, 2012
Yeah I would definitely switch hosts. Where that isn't possible, update as they've requested. At the end of the day, it's for your own good anyway.

Good luck!
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by Afam4eva(m): 6:33pm On Dec 26, 2012
shorxynla: I have the site backups
Great.
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by DualCore1: 8:12pm On Dec 26, 2012
Your site could be suspended for many reasons:

Vulnerability: Since you're running an opensource script (I pray CMS and opensource dies in 2013, it may never happen but I pray) your site may have been compromised with a known vuln to be used in a malicious way.

SPAM: Forums attract bots and depending on your site's notification settings, your site may end up sending several welcome and notification emails a day to the hundreds of bots you have. That can be flagged as spamming.

DNS hack: Your site's DNS may have been hacked to point to a phishing site of a payment gateway or a bank.

There are many more reasons. CMS and Opensource open you to endless possibilities and endless frustrations. Its an inseparable bundle.

I don't see anything wrong in your account being suspended. In fact it may have been necessary to suspend the account in other to save the whole server failing.

I however have a problem with their follow up process. You should have been informed once your account was suspended and you should have been advised on the way forward because even if your account is compromised it cannot be cleaned by you while its suspended. They shouldn't wait for you to ask.

I also have a problem with cPanel's default "Suspension" page and I think the makers of cPanel know they were quite silly and blunt with it so they made it possible for you to edit it to something nice like "This site is currently unavailable, we will be back shortly. Please be patient". That can be done only by the root user through the WHM interface not by you.

Changing host is not a likely solution.
You change host, you upload your compromised site/backup to new host, they suspend you (but nicely this time) when your site shows itself.
That's assuming there's a compromise on your site now.
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by Afam4eva(m): 8:19pm On Dec 26, 2012
Dual Core: Your site could be suspended for many reasons:

Vulnerability: Since you're running an opensource script (I pray CMS and opensource dies in 2013, it may never happen but I pray) your site may have been compromised with a known vuln to be used in a malicious way.

SPAM: Forums attract bots and depending on your site's notification settings, your site may end up sending several welcome and notification emails a day to the hundreds of bots you have. That can be flagged as spamming.

DNS hack: Your site's DNS may have been hacked to point to a phishing site of a payment gateway or a bank.

There are many more reasons. CMS and Opensource open you to endless possibilities and endless frustrations. Its an inseparable bundle.

I don't see anything wrong in your account being suspended. In fact it may have been necessary to suspend the account in other to save the whole server failing.

I however have a problem with their follow up process. You should have been informed once your account was suspended and you should have been advised on the way forward because even if your account is compromised it cannot be cleaned by you while its suspended. They shouldn't wait for you to ask.

I also have a problem with cPanel's default "Suspension" page and I think the makers of cPanel know they were quite silly and blunt with it so they made it possible for you to edit it to something nice like "This site is currently unavailable, we will be back shortly. Please be patient". That can be done only by the root user through the WHM interface not by you.

Changing host is not a likely solution.
You change host, you upload your compromised site/backup to new host, they suspend you (but nicely this time) when your site shows itself.
That's assuming there's a compromise on your site now.
Why would anyone even pray for the death of Open source software and CMS.

The fact that the host did not inform him before shutting down his site is unprofessional and is enough to move ship. They're supposed to be explicit in telling him what the problem was/is before suspending his site.

1 Like

Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by soloqy: 4:31am On Dec 27, 2012
Like Afam4eva said, they should be forthcoming with what the real issue is. Some of us have dealt with web hosts too. If your software is outdated, it doesnt make them shut you down. There are people who are still using joomla 1.0 AND 1.5.Its not their business how you want to build your site. However, if the site goes down due to an attack that occurred as a result of the person using outdated software, they would also inform you as well. Its vague to just say "Outdated software".

The response from them is enough to seek better hosts for your site.
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by DualCore1: 7:25am On Dec 27, 2012
Afam I am talking about CMS and opensource in the Shared Hosting enviroment. In my opinion it is a bad idea and will always wish CMS dead for this reason or better still a solution is gotten for the abuse of opensource. Host service providers cannot go chasing all its clients and flogging them to update their CMSs. All it takes to ruin xmas for a server is to implement an old vuln on a site that isn't updated or an 0-day on a site, all within the shared hosting context.

I'm not against opensource however its abuse has become widespread and we don't see an end to the spread in the near future.

The goal of opensource was to "see, use and extend", its abuse now is "see, look for holes and wreak havoc".
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by shorxynla(m): 12:48pm On Dec 27, 2012
what is really annoying about this stupid smartweb hosting company is that i wasnt giving any notification before the site was suspended, and i was even running SMF forum version 2.0.2 which other colleagues are using. Am even asking them for the way forward, but nothing good is coming forth8 from them. is this how the site gonna be forever?
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by shorxynla(m): 12:51pm On Dec 27, 2012
for me to login to cpanel is also a problem
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by miracle4(m): 8:57pm On Dec 29, 2012
check other users of your shared IP to check if their own site is affected
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by shorxynla(m): 11:27pm On Dec 29, 2012
Its only me. They said I should update my site.
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by shorxynla(m): 11:48pm On Dec 29, 2012
Thanks to you all. The site is back online.
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by Roborwisi: 10:50pm On Feb 11, 2013
Wow! I have the same issue right now.
My site, www.bananasms.com was suspended this morning for reasons I dont know.
It happened immediately after i sent mass mail from my joomla backend to all my members informing them of our val promo. Only to log back in and see suspended. I called the host to hear same stories as seen above.

Really in a bad state now.
@shorxynla, how did you resolve yours?
Re: Website Account Suspended, Please What Is Next!!! by shorxynla(m): 7:44pm On Feb 12, 2013
Sorry for coming late. Try and contact your host. They will tell you what to do

(1) (Reply)

How To Create Instagram Ads In Nigeria / What Do You Think About Nigeria Having An Association Controlling Blogging / How To Download Udemy Paid Video Courses Free On Your PC Without Any Software

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.