Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,519 members, 7,812,609 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:09 PM

Money Saving Tips For Our Homes - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Money Saving Tips For Our Homes (11019 Views)

Somethings That Are Gradually Fading Away From Our Homes / 5 Money Saving Tips For The Nigerian Shopper / Peace Or Justice. Which Should Prevail In Our Homes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by rexxx: 7:12am On Dec 27, 2012
This thread would like to compile some helpful tips for saving money in our homes especailly for mothers and mothers to be.You can actually reduce your expenses by finding alternates to items that we spend lots of money on,considering the economic environment we find ourselves presently in the country. Let's share our individual money saving tip it could be a life saver to someone. Thanks
Tip: Do you know there are lots of things we could do ourselves instead of buying. Take babywipes for example, homes with new borns and toddlers spend a fortune purchaing this item. You can actually do it yourself in just 20mins.

What You Need

Round plastic container

Thick, strong roll of white paper towels

Sharp knife to cut paper towel roll in half

2 cups water that has been boiled and cooled to room temperature

2 Tablespoons baby shampoo or baby wash
1 Tablespoon of baby oil

Here's How:

1. Cut the roll of paper towels in half with a knife and remove the inner cardboard core.

2. Mix liquid ingredients in container.
Place the paper towels in the container with the cut side facing downward.

3.Secure lid tightly and allow to sit until all liquid is absorbed into the paper towels.

4.Turn the container upside-down and allow to sit for 10 minutes.

5.Open container and 'start' the roll by pulling a towel from the inside of the roll.

Wipes are now ready to use.

Tips:

Save the other half of the roll for use next time you make wipes

Make sure the container is closed tightly after each use to prevent drying out.

Try it out and post comment and results

3 Likes

Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by greatgod2012(f): 9:26am On Dec 27, 2012
I will definately try this. Thanks.
Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by toprealman: 3:32pm On Dec 27, 2012
Will not experiment with my baby. Sure he deserves all the comfort money can buy. Come up with something else let us see if that will be worth considering. Baby shampoo inside my baby's orishishi......no way!

1 Like

Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by ebamma3: 3:38pm On Dec 27, 2012
fckmn24seg: did i comment?
Yes you didn't

3 Likes

Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by Nobody: 3:40pm On Dec 27, 2012
^^^ do u guy read tru articles before posting all this rubbish. or u just jump in to register ur childishness and leave without gaining a dime.

1 Like

Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by Nobody: 3:40pm On Dec 27, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by Iaz93: 3:41pm On Dec 27, 2012
Good
Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by souleymon(m): 3:44pm On Dec 27, 2012
Ideal of a [size=18pt]POOR MAN [/size]
Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by damiso(f): 3:46pm On Dec 27, 2012
Not too sure bout this home made wipes.I buy them in bulk when on offer anyway and dont have loyalty to any store.I buy where its cheapest.

Always lookin to save a buck anyway so any more tips apart from this?As an aside does anyone have a nigerianised idea of what to do with left over roast turkey? My bush family deserted my christmas roast with all the trimmings cry and went for the usual jollof rice and pepper soup things.Now have like 3 kilos of left over turkey and i hate wasting food.

1 Like

Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by Iaz93: 3:46pm On Dec 27, 2012
fckmn24seg: did i comment?
ebamma 3: Yes you didn't
LWKMD...hilariously hilarious...
Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by Wuse2(m): 3:51pm On Dec 27, 2012
Awoof dey purg belle oh
Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by Nobody: 3:52pm On Dec 27, 2012
Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by damiso(f): 3:59pm On Dec 27, 2012
chaircover:

Easy peasy grin

Turkey, Mayo and lettuce sandwiches
Turkey pasta
have it with salad . . . yes need to loose all the extra pounds put on over Xmas grin
Turkey and mushroom Omelette's

These are the ones that I can remember right now, but hoping that you would have finished all the turkey by the time I come back with more recipe ideas. grin

Thanks CC.Good ideas esp the healthy eating things winkas turkey is lean meat.E be like say na me and my daughter go chop am all.I know most ppl are not turkey fans but i just wanted an alternative to normal naija food.Even made jamaican jerk chicken rice and peas and curry goat but all this my relatives and even hubby sef are just soooo unadventorous me i sha know i no enter kitchrn for more than 10 mins in 2012 again tongue.
Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by Nobody: 4:20pm On Dec 27, 2012
rexxx: This thread would like to compile some helpful tips for saving money in our homes especailly for mothers and mothers to be.You can actually reduce your expenses by finding alternates to items that we spend lots of money on,considering the economic environment we find ourselves presently in the country. Let's share our individual money saving tip it could be a life saver to someone. Thanks
Tip: Do you know there are lots of things we could do ourselves instead of buying. Take babywipes for example, homes with new borns and toddlers spend a fortune purchaing this item. You can actually do it yourself in just 20mins.

What You Need

Round plastic container

Thick, strong roll of white paper towels

Sharp knife to cut paper towel roll in half

2 cups water that has been boiled and cooled to room temperature

2 Tablespoons baby shampoo or baby wash
1 Tablespoon of baby oil

Here's How:

1. Cut the roll of paper towels in half with a knife and remove the inner cardboard core.

2. Mix liquid ingredients in container.
Place the paper towels in the container with the cut side facing downward.

3.Secure lid tightly and allow to sit until all liquid is absorbed into the paper towels.

4.Turn the container upside-down and allow to sit for 10 minutes.

5.Open container and 'start' the roll by pulling a towel from the inside of the roll.

Wipes are now ready to use.

Tips:

Save the other half of the roll for use next time you make wipes

Make sure the container is closed tightly after each use to prevent drying out.

Try it out and post comment and results

sounds cool but it would still be costly.
not even a week supply of paper towels sef is cheap. grin
Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by Abujafood: 4:25pm On Dec 27, 2012
The best money saving tip for all homes is to keep a budget and stick to it! All others na jara!

1 Like

Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by 80million1: 4:29pm On Dec 27, 2012
*speechless*

really?
Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by condralbede(m): 4:34pm On Dec 27, 2012
Ok nah!
Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by Warfibabe(f): 4:47pm On Dec 27, 2012
even cheaper.....
only water or old newspapers..

op, there are verrry cheap and scented wipes dat you can get for as little as 200 naira.. so why would you want to wipe your baby's bumbum with paper towels mixed with shampoo..
And how much will you buy the paper towels and the shampoo?..
smh..
Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by swtcharissa(f): 4:59pm On Dec 27, 2012
My dear op,u shud have ended d tread by asking NL to suggest ways of reducing expences n not giving this kind of example,....nice topic but useless example....

2 Likes

Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by liyalla(m): 5:17pm On Dec 27, 2012
dnt try it with Ur kids, its dangerouse,besides are d items for the ritual free,and will dey last for evr? Dis is in no way saving money...
Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by Nobody: 5:19pm On Dec 27, 2012
swtcharissa: My dear op,u shud have ended d tread by asking NL to suggest ways of reducing expences n not giving this kind of example,....nice topic but useless example....

That'll be a good start , oya people what are your money saving ideas instead of condemning somebody else's tip?..... OP 's just trying to help....

I'd rather use a lathered washcloth ( when I'm out of wipes) instead of paper towels.

I get your idea tho some paper towels like bounty or charming or kirkland are smooth and puffy but if you do the math you'd end up spending more. Thanks tho
Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by prideofbarbados(f): 5:38pm On Dec 27, 2012
Are you that poor that you can't afford baby wipes?*smh. Terrible and disgiusting!
Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by damiso(f): 6:03pm On Dec 27, 2012
prideofbarbados: Are you that poor that you can't afford baby wipes?*smh. Terrible and disgiusting!

sheesh OP was just giving his/her own thoughts.Dont dig the idea though as i said i buyin bulk when on offer but newsflash wipes and nappies are a great expense for some families.We dont have to insult or run down people last i heard some people go through bad times and wipes might be a choice say for food.Abeg cos we can afford it does not mean we look down on those who cant.Though i still dont see how this might save money.I would have suggested water sef or maybe cotton wool and warm water.

My money saving tip; shop online for groceries.It makes you stick to your list and buying what you need.I watched a documentary that said supermarkets arrange stuff to make you buy what you dont need esp with 'offers'.I end up coming out with strawberries or white grapes when all i wanted was milk and bread lol grin.
Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by jhydebaba(m): 6:08pm On Dec 27, 2012
Why is shyte so expensive

Abegi, fowl with dog no dey clean yarnsh if then shyte finish why una dey bother una self
Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by trekkie: 7:05pm On Dec 27, 2012
toprealman: Will not experiment with my baby. Sure he deserves all the comfort money can buy. Come up with something else let see if that will be worth considering. Baby shampoo inside my baby's orishishi......no way!
very funny
Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by creativemusic: 7:12pm On Dec 27, 2012
nice. to try grin grin grin
Re: Money Saving Tips For Our Homes by Nobody: 7:31pm On Dec 27, 2012
toprealman: Will not experiment with my baby. Sure he deserves all the comfort money can buy. Come up with something else let see if that will be worth considering. Baby shampoo inside my baby's orishishi......no way!

You're too much, Aveeno makes body-wash & shampoo in one bottle so is Johnson's ,

you won't tell me you've never compromised using head&shoulders or Pentene when you're out of body wash or shower gel? Sheesh!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Myths And Omens About Moles(birthmarks) / Please Help Locate My Brother's SON. / Must A Man Wear Suit On His Wedding Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.