Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,156 members, 7,818,501 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

How To Start A Business As A Corps Member - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How To Start A Business As A Corps Member (15128 Views)

Nairaland Congratulates All 2015/2016 Batch A Corps Members Passing Out Today / NYSC Important Notice To All Prospective 2016 Batch A Corps Members / Corps Member Chokes Girlfriend Over Rival In Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by seunwen2(m): 6:37pm On Dec 29, 2012
What i can say about this is that u guys have the fear of 2morrow
Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by nas4q(m): 6:49pm On Dec 29, 2012
stevo4shiz: @ OP The profits to all the biz u mentioned here are too low.. Cool tho for some peeps.
You see there are many phones I had sold double their prizes. E.g Nokia N70 is no longer en vogue in cities but i sold a piece at N8000. I was given at the rate of N4500. I had sold over 5 pieces to a group of friends. How is the profit small? This is a phone that nobody will buy from u in d city but it is in hot demand in villages at the moment. Infact it is in villages that u can make the most profits from goods or services.

2 Likes

Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by c33b33(m): 6:56pm On Dec 29, 2012
excelsiorfarm: now that you have more,u can plan what u have to start something.This post is more essentially for corpers to benefit.It is when u had finished your service & return home that u will understand that 1Year(though i call it free time) could have been use to enhance yourself.Then what can u do-if u are a computer graduate u can be doing repairs,assembling of system & servicing(this one u might only need to print a biz card & do hand bill,at most u spend 10000 & u are in business)
100% SENSIBLE

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by nas4q(m): 6:58pm On Dec 29, 2012
seunwen2: What i can say about this is that u guys have the fear of 2morrow
The fear of tomorrow is what drives me on. I just feel secured putting my future in my hands instead of running from pillar to post looking for a job. If it comes; good, if not i have something to fall back on.

2 Likes

Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:08pm On Dec 29, 2012
@Ltrust about d issue of learning language,it is not really necessary,d culture part i understand eg in d north u aint allow into some areas in their compound,understandable,when i served was at d height of sharia law in d north,kalgo has no single christian expect corpers & a church built by missionary at one corner from d main town,yet we walked with orderliness & the citizen cheerish corpers irrespective of religion.Respect their culture,humble yrself & u c things work(majority might not speak queen's

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by anonimi: 7:13pm On Dec 29, 2012
good thread.
v. good thread to encourage youth self employment rather than waiting for jobs or government to fix this or that.
Let's fix ourselves and help others.
Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by nas4q(m): 7:21pm On Dec 29, 2012
Borlahr: Ain't u aware or have u forgotten that there are limitations to the things or properties that u're expected or allowed to take into the camp? Like in my camp then (Umudi, Imo State) unneccesary or excessive properties were not allowed. Then,the code of conduct of NYSC does not allow for anything that could bring distraction or break in concentration to the Scheme within the 3 wks orientation. Moreso, the inconveniences to extra-luggage will count on you on the day of your passing out at the Camp. I'm not contradicting you but making things clearer for intending Corps Member
excelsiorfarm: corpers it is important to know that d period of youth service isnt really a break,but a time where u have to work & envision towards your goal in future(if u have one).D skill acquisition program should be taken seriously,because it is not your credentials that count but what can you offer?Thank God allowee is 19800,when i served i got 3500+1000 from where i was posted to(kebbi agricultural & rural development authority kalgo ) kebbi state.
Borlahr: Ain't u aware or have u forgotten that there are limitations to the things or properties that u're expected or allowed to take into the camp? Like in my camp then (Umudi, Imo State) unneccesary or excessive properties were not allowed. Then,the code of conduct of NYSC does not allow for anything that could bring distraction or break in concentration to the Scheme within the 3 wks orientation. Moreso, the inconveniences to extra-luggage will count on you on the day of your passing out at the Camp. I'm not contradicting you but making things clearer for intending Corps Member
So far the things u take into camp are not harmful and do not include stove or electric iron no one will stop you from going in with it. Trust me.
Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by DadaStephen1(m): 7:22pm On Dec 29, 2012
Nice Post
I will be back to place my comment
Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by nas4q(m): 7:28pm On Dec 29, 2012
bigfat: [size=15pt]what is easy nothing in this life but we gat to try ....[/size]
Try and you will be glad. I did it and now I have my shop in my PPA that i am managing. I'm done wit service last year but am still making money in the village. Now i own a viewing centre and am currently running it and with other minor businesses i'll write about.
Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by jahwin(m): 7:40pm On Dec 29, 2012
This is interesting, corps members pls don't take this 4 granted.
Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by nas4q(m): 7:40pm On Dec 29, 2012
excelsiorfarm: now that you have more,u can plan what u have to start something.This post is more essentially for corpers to benefit.It is when u had finished your service & return home that u will understand that 1Year(though i call it free time) could have been use to enhance yourself.Then what can u do-if u are a computer graduate u can be doing repairs,assembling of system & servicing(this one u might only need to print a biz card & do hand bill,at most u spend 10000 & u are in business)

You have said it all my brother. The bulk of whats said in is self employment but many are scared cuz they use lack of fund as an excuse. There are many opportunities out there that will not cost them anything to start.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by nas4q(m): 7:50pm On Dec 29, 2012
I really didn't expect it to make frontpage so soon. Your comments have inspired me as well and I will be sharing more with you as the thread has just begun and i'm seen such voluminous comments. Now I continue...

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by ssztarss: 8:39pm On Dec 29, 2012
nice topics.....@op...kudos
corp members really need to start planning ahead for d days when alloweee will stop coming....personally i engage in teaching pple some architectural softwares at my place of service so i barely depend on my allowee...cultivating d spirit of saving is also necessary for survival....

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by phreddie(m): 8:48pm On Dec 29, 2012
@op, these are very nice ideas you've brought up! The thing is corp members have to develop the spirit of entrepreneurship, which is the key to becoming self-made. Aside from the ideas suggested in this thread, corps members should be able to think, as they say ''he who thinks, is master of him who can do".

Still knowledge is power, but in this age, knowledge is worth nothing if it is not implemented!

All i'm saying is, there's a dire need for an entrepreneur mindset!

Thank you!
Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by outrage: 8:54pm On Dec 29, 2012
This are mostly things you can do in the village, for people serving in cities, this can't work!
Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by outrage: 8:57pm On Dec 29, 2012
Just thought of one, dry cleaning.

2 Likes

Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by nas4q(m): 9:00pm On Dec 29, 2012
One of the ideals of NYSC is for corps members to get acquinted with the culture and language of the host communities. It was taught in camp and we put it into practice. I could remember we were taught how to speak the ibibio language and developed much interest in it. I would speak it to my fellow corps members and whenever i go to mammy market i speak it wit the locals. I heard d zeal to learn it because already i could speak 3 nigerian languages so i was like oh another one would be lovely. I would call those little boys in camp and start chatting wit them. It was fun but other corps members were like ''is he naught or something? Having a chat wit those haggard looking boys''. At the end i will give them N100 to share. They taught me alot in camp and by the time i left camp i could speak the language but in a comic way. While other corps members would pay for some certain services i got them free as a result of my ability to interact. Any corps member intending to go into business can use this strategy to learn the language and you will be getting favors from the indigenes while others encounter obstacles. Now with this method I market my goods in my PPA using their language. I kept a jotter that i normally write words and sentences in english and pass it to some of them to interprete for me. I crammed all of them and they are now part of me. Now to be successful you really have to be interested in them. This technique i have used and I can speak wella. The problem is just intonation and minor errors in pronunciation. Try it when u get back to your PPA.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by nas4q(m): 9:06pm On Dec 29, 2012
outrage: This are mostly things you can do in the village, for people serving in cities, this can't work!
If you took time to read, I had said that those corps members posted to the villages succeed faster than their counterpart in the city. There's almost everything in different forms. So it's normally hard to start on a shoestring budget especially when it comes to goods.
Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by Bright4(m): 9:13pm On Dec 29, 2012
qudos to u guys!pls feed me more...
Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by anonimi: 9:34pm On Dec 29, 2012
outrage: Just thought of one, dry cleaning.

exactly. this can thrive in a city and you can start with simple laundry, starch and iron before you buy machines for DRY cleaning.
way to go.
Another thing for cities- sports viewing centres seeing how we are hooked on English premier league etc.
Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by excelsiorfarm(m): 9:45pm On Dec 29, 2012
Peradventure you are looking for more ideas to work on, You can read this post:BUSINESSES THAT WILL GIVE YOU A MEANINGFUL INCOME FLOW CONTINUALLY,let me know if you have more question.Have a blessed time
Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by Mayowura: 10:37pm On Dec 29, 2012
The simple and best advice i would give to any youth either in university, waiting for admission, corper or even working is to go through SOME NAIRALAND'S BUSINESS SECTION. That region is one of the best. Try it and you will uncontrollably thank God for enabling MR. SEUN create a wonderful site like NAIRALAND.
One love nairalanders!

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by nas4q(m): 10:47pm On Dec 29, 2012
anonimi:

exactly. this can thrive in a city and you can start with simple laundry, starch and iron before you buy machines for DRY cleaning.
way to go.
Another thing for cities- sports viewing centres seeing how we are hooked on English premier league etc.
Sport viewing centre is even more profitable in the village as i own one here in my PPA. I started with single view and 6months after dual view. You can not start this way in the city for sure. You have to show up to 3 matches to compete.
Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by justinceejay(m): 12:00am On Dec 30, 2012
@op...what abt someone who studied public administration in school?
Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by Nobody: 12:06am On Dec 30, 2012
justinceejay: @op...what abt someone who studied public administration in school?
Even if you studied sweeping and mopping, you can still do business.

3 Likes

Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by nel76(m): 12:24am On Dec 30, 2012
wow!! this is good. currently serving, started a mini fish farm"without any form of prior knowledge but he know how to get info"; was very successful and went ahead to re-stock...learnt a whole lot in management/planning.....doing a volunteer/intern work, gained(ing) a whole lot of experience, network/contacts to big players in labour market, and still have time to do d normal PPA teaching stuff. Not going back to ma parentz houz....so happy that am finally independent small small. UUUU can do more....still do some ICT/Tech work and lecture some folks (FOC) just to add value. its fun wen u watch pple that u love(ur fellow copas/comm. grow

2 Likes

Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by NoContract(m): 2:03am On Dec 30, 2012
I hate to 'like' stupid comments but I like it when someone likes my comment.

I tend to circulate the euphoric feeling$

#DoThesame
Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by braine(m): 2:25am On Dec 30, 2012
nas4q:
Sport viewing centre is even more profitable in the village as i own one here in my PPA. I started with single view and 6months after dual view. You can not start this way in the city for sure. You have to show up to 3 matches to compete.

How much did u use to start the viewing centre? What were the expenses like?
Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by nas4q(m): 6:00am On Dec 30, 2012
braine:

How much did u use to start the viewing centre? What were the expenses like?
I have the details of that in another thread. You can go thru it here www.nairaland.com/1127338/ex-corps-member-making-it

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Business As A Corps Member by Davidohida(m): 6:20am On Dec 30, 2012
I see some post and ppl were saying i was collecting 9775 naira Wen i was serving.u dnt just start business,u take into consideratn of so many tinz.d cost of living of those days cant b compared to nw.i cant starve because i want to go into business.where u re determines wat u do.no one can use his or her allowance to venture into a business if there is no oda source of finance.except u re in 4 d pea nuts dat comes out of it.dis thread is nt real,i am a corps member serving in cross river state and guys believe me wen i say it is nt easy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Molestation Of NYSC Member: Court Frees Osun Monarch / Plateau State Stream 1 / NYSC 2014 Batch B States' Of Deployment Library

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.