Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,751 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:22 AM

People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? (9091 Views)

Innoson Launches Cars For Low And Middle Class Nigerians / Ghana Buys Innoson Cars For Presidential Campaign(photos) / Check Out This Weird Plate Number (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by SisiKill1: 7:49am On Jan 01, 2013
logica: But if they were stolen, why didn't they just remove the tags before taking the pics?
Andro Blaze:

Yes, I went through all the bother of stealing/buying a stolen car but I was to lazy/cheap to change the license plate/acquire a real one in a country where the only question they would ask is "how much for the boys sir". Only Nigerians could come up with this sort of logic!!

Thank you my brother.

LMFAO!!

Duuudes! I swear I was just about to ask if the license plates were permanently stuck to the cars and removing them will cause irreversible damages but my head was still spinning from the high end client having, Aston Martin selling, Friend of Not broke, just wanna sell my car Chiefs. cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by lastpage: 8:12am On Jan 01, 2013
Siena: I've often wondered the same.

It's possible the car has a lien attached to it (has finance outstanding) and the seller's trying to sell it on without paying the outstanding balance.

However, I may be wrong...

Now that deduction is not very correct!

Even "abroad', people "eraze" the Car Reg of vehicles they put online for sale (especially Private sellers). o, itsnot just a Nigerian thingy.

I have done it on Ebay/ Amazon, on many occasions and l have seen countless number of people do it.

Speaking from experience l will adduce the following reasons (not exclusive):

1.) Privacy: You dont want your neighbor seeing your car on offer (He might think you have financial crunch! grin )
2.) Security: This applies mostly to Nigeria (You dont want boyz coming to collect the money from you, knowing that you just sold or are about selling your car
3.) Since its a transaction "in the making", anonymity of owner, like in most business transactions, is desirable.
4.) In Nigeria's case, at times to disguise it as "Tokunboh" when in actual fact, Lagos-Ibadan Express way has seen the best of it! grin
5.) To prevent unwarranted and undesirable "interests" from friends and family who would rather buy it on CREDIT! ...afterall, "we be family/friends now"

Now, if there is a lien on a vehicle and you attempt to sell it to someone (even when you hide the Car Reg), ...l am sure the buyer will request to see the "Log Book" before paying you (and that defeats the purpose, as he can run a few checks on the Car Reg which will spill out the beans)

All the same, I dey Gbadun your analysis on "Autos", all the same.

Lastpage!
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by saintjoel(m): 12:33pm On Jan 01, 2013
As a dealer who has sold cars on nairaland,there are many reasons you would want to hide plate numbers.
1. Privacy-many people don't want people to know they are selling their cars,I currently have one mecury I want to sell,it belongs to a popular hip-hop artiste and till today,he is pissed I posted it on nairaland and other sites.
2. Dealers- there are instances where there are like three or four dealers on the deal and it becomes everyman for himself,now imagine a situation where two dealers have advertised the car on nairaland,it calls for privacy,so one dealer has to post the pixs with number plates covered,so it'll not be as if he is stopping other dealers from buying.
My advice to customers is if you're buying a used car,always ask for police reports,this report will always save you if anything happens,also make sure you know the direct owner,what he/she does,reasons why he is selling and where he stays.
I don't believe covering a plate number has anything to do with stolen vechiles,even if the plate numbers aren't covered,if you're not careful,you will still buy a stolen car.
Covered or open,you've to be security conscious when buying nigerian used cars and some tokunbo cars,we have instances where stolen cars are brought into nigeria and their tracking devices start working.
As a car dealer,I always make sure I issue a police report when cars are bought.
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by lastpage: 4:50pm On Jan 01, 2013
^^^ @Saintjoel:

You mean for example, if l want to buy a car advertised on the windscreen : FOR SALE.

I should ask the seller (after checking the particulars) that he should go to Ojodu or Ikoyi Police station, to get me a POLICE Report?

What do you think "Oga Sergent" would right in that REPORT, even if that car has just been reported STOLEN, to him, five minutes ago! grin grin

Why you dey talk like this now, You know that "Police is always your friend" ....as long as you "Drop Kola" as per wetin you carry!

That "Nigerian Police Report" would be as useless as used tissue paper!

Cheers.

Lastpage!
Re: People Hide Plate Number Of Cars For Sale: Why? by anslemarinze52(m): 3:50pm On Jan 24
saintjoel:
As a dealer who has sold cars on nairaland,there are many reasons you would want to hide plate numbers.
1. Privacy-many people don't want people to know they are selling their cars,I currently have one mecury I want to sell,it belongs to a popular hip-hop artiste and till today,he is pissed I posted it on nairaland and other sites.
2. Dealers- there are instances where there are like three or four dealers on the deal and it becomes everyman for himself,now imagine a situation where two dealers have advertised the car on nairaland,it calls for privacy,so one dealer has to post the pixs with number plates covered,so it'll not be as if he is stopping other dealers from buying.
My advice to customers is if you're buying a used car,always ask for police reports,this report will always save you if anything happens,also make sure you know the direct owner,what he/she does,reasons why he is selling and where he stays.
I don't believe covering a plate number has anything to do with stolen vechiles,even if the plate numbers aren't covered,if you're not careful,you will still buy a stolen car.
Covered or open,you've to be security conscious when buying nigerian used cars and some tokunbo cars,we have instances where stolen cars are brought into nigeria and their tracking devices start working.
As a car dealer,I always make sure I issue a police report when cars are bought.
You just escalated so much, I'm a car dealer.
There was an instance a client wanted to get a car from me. He kept on asking for all the papers to be sent to him on net. I asked him to come to car lot, he didn't agree.

(1) (2) (Reply)

12 Million Cars Owners In Nigeria Use Fake Insurance Cover- Senate / Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem / SEAT Wants Drivers To Follow These Tips To Their Make Car A.C Work Effectively

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.