Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? (11775 Views)

My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! / Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors / How To Improve My Spoken English? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Dec 29, 2012
A-ZeD:

Its truly annoying when adults resort to writing "text speak" on a public forum. I can tolerate bad grammar but "text speak" just makes me write you off as un intelligent and not worth responding to.
grin
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by watchindelta(m): 4:28pm On Dec 29, 2012
really, bt wati man go do na
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by kaysy(m): 4:30pm On Dec 29, 2012
Sunymoore: Quite tru cox i rembrd whn i was wrtng englsh dis yea, instd of schools i wrote .skulls. Its truli quite unfotunt. But as frm nw, i will tri as much as i can to wrte a complt wrd even in a forum o chat rum.

I can see you've already started making amends.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Dec 29, 2012
Koolking: It irritates me, in fact, I don't even waste my resource (time) reading short-worded comments and documents. What stops people from typing words the way they were taught, even when they have enough space to accommodate what they have to pass across to their listeners/readers. Personally, I see people who form such habits as unintelligent, docile and boring. It has nothing to do with Smart phones.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Dec 29, 2012
A-ZeD:
You don't blame smart phones for the laziness of humans. No smart phone/phone comes with "text speak".

Gbam!!!
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by DonaldGenes(m): 4:51pm On Dec 29, 2012
afam4eva: God punish spoken English. How about spoken Igbo and Yoruba. Why's no one worried about them?
faaaaaaaaaaaaaints!!!!
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Dec 29, 2012
This is kind of like the question about gadgets making us "anti-social".

Again, I beg to differ. If you are someone who values English and feel the need to write and/or speak in proper English, you will do so regardless.

But when online most of us (myself included) tend to mix our colloquial slangs and internet terminology (LOL, LWKMD, #blahblah, YOLO; etc) into our posts. It's normal but there is a time and place for everything.

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Dec 29, 2012
messiah: "you're" becomes "your"

"being" becomes "been" grin

SamConquer: MTCHEWWWW MU.MU TOPIC AGAIN

grin
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by jaymichael(m): 5:03pm On Dec 29, 2012
Not everybody,I personally don't like text words. I type in plain English.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by nitrogen(m): 5:07pm On Dec 29, 2012
Sunymoore: Quite tru cox i rembrd whn i was wrtng englsh dis yea, instd of schools i wrote .skulls. Its truli quite unfotunt. But as frm nw, i will tri as much as i can to wrte a complt wrd even in a forum o chat rum.

Idiat!
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Dec 29, 2012
*Kails*:
This is kind of like the question about gadgets making us "anti-social".

Again, I beg to differ. If you are someone who values English and feel the need to write and/or speak in proper English, you will do so regardless.

But when online most of us (myself included) tend to mix our colloquial slangs and internet terminology (LOL, LWKMD, #blahblah, YOLO; etc) into our posts. It's normal but there is a time and place for everything.

But wouldnt you say that abbreviations and certain text speak like LOL and BRB is much different than changing words completely like U for You and UR for You Are.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by masterpiecer(m): 5:10pm On Dec 29, 2012

it will take another 32 years for your transformation to complete grin
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by onyezuu: 5:14pm On Dec 29, 2012
Hum
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Dec 29, 2012
Yes, it is affecting me, but the positive side is better than the negative. I chat with the normal spellings of word, which in-turn improves my spelling ability, but it's affecting my spoken English. I write better than i speak, thanks to social networks and allt his fancy technology for turning me into an introvert!
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by djeezy(m): 5:16pm On Dec 29, 2012
@topic,It is to a very large extent. My phone is customised with British English and i speak American English and when i spell, it highlights the word being incorrect and this sometimes make me feel am not spelling the words correctly. The abbreviation of words can reduce a person's IQ when you're accustomed to it.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by kfako1: 5:17pm On Dec 29, 2012
I think so. I get carried away @ work when sending official emails. Need 2 abbreviate less I guess. Thank God for spell check
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by talk2hb1(m): 5:21pm On Dec 29, 2012
Every time something goes wrong every fingers is being pointed at technologies most especially ICT. I love technology its my way of life, what annoy me most is instead of the society to fashion their criticism against what they do with the technology we have at hand, to me technology is a means to an end it is not supposed to be the end game.

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by rman: 5:22pm On Dec 29, 2012
Yes, it is having a negative effect on written English.

I have read officials mails with these abbrevtions: urs, plz, u .

I just told my mananger that we need to change our recruitment test from multiple choice questions only. How did we end up with lazy writters?

Even a mail of just two pragraphs and six sentences will be abbrevated by these peeps.

I will overlook it in chats but in official documents, I simply tag the individual lazy.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Dec 29, 2012
rman: Yes, it is having a negative effect on written English.

I have read officials mails with these abbrevtions: urs, plz, u .

I just told my mananger that we need to change our recruitment test from multiple choice questions only. How did we end up with lazy writters?

Even a mail of just two pragraphs and six sentences will be abbrevated by these peeps.

I will overlook it in chats but in official documents, I simply tag the individual lazy.

No lie - I had to take a test for my current position and the multiple choice section consisted of 1 single choice for each question. WTF?
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by babymama3: 5:25pm On Dec 29, 2012
Shakara123: In our present society, there seem to be an increased awareness and crave for smart phones by all (infants, youths and adults alike).

These devices no doubt help in easy and fast communication but have we considered the effects they have on our written and spoken communication skills, especially our students’?

Today, words are abbreviated in chat platforms to the extent that most students find it difficult to spell some words correctly, place punctuations appropriately, or even differentiate tenses. Examples; I don’t know becomes ‘dunno’, okay becomes ‘kk’, what is going on becomes ‘sup’, don’t becomes ‘dnt’, bother becomes ‘boda’ and the list goes on and on. It is at such moments that I praise some universities that ban the use of smart phones on campus.

Secondly, have we observed that some persons who are able to use these abbreviated words so much and type so fast with their phones during chats find it quite difficult to speak as effectively when physically present before their chat mates?

These are only my thoughts anyway. I will appreciate your comments as well.

Compliments.

You need to read some ghettoid posters like idowuogbo to see the menace of smart phones
The thing has caused more harm than good
Mechanics have made it difficult to differentiate the insane from the sane
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Hunkyimage(m): 5:26pm On Dec 29, 2012
lol! I lyk diz,plz tri az much az possibl,aftarol english haz bin evolvin'... Itz trendi,itz phreshhh!

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by stephenponti(m): 5:28pm On Dec 29, 2012
My cronies always complain I use too much vocabulary at every communication. i.e, speech, chat. I think you cannot help but loose your writing skill, when you consistently use those abbreviated chat words. I consciously refuses to use abbreviated words lest it become part of my communication skill, thereby corrupting, the main language.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by himclfgud(m): 5:32pm On Dec 29, 2012
Like, "gd pm"....meaning Good evening! grin
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by pictures: 5:47pm On Dec 29, 2012
Likely ,
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by IYANGBALI: 6:14pm On Dec 29, 2012
I had carry over in all my courses just because of it. Goodluck Jonathan should pls do something about it grin
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Shaw007(m): 6:16pm On Dec 29, 2012
^^Mad mangringringrin
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Lakayana: 6:24pm On Dec 29, 2012
Clefcentfelix: it depends on the individual
Correct for you do not give what you don't have in the 1st place. What people are doing is hiding their inadequacies. Those phones are meant to improve our skills.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by abiL(f): 6:28pm On Dec 29, 2012
I think it's silly for grown people to write in text formats. Even when I'm sending a text message, I type my words out in full (it's time consuming, but who cares! grin). I'm not a fan of abbreviations.

I work with some qualified professionals who cannot even write properly, with all their degrees and qualifications.

Years ago I did a voluntary post at a secondary school and it was appalling how some of the kids wrote their essays like they were text messaging their friends.

Oh yeah, people that also write like this 'I waz sLEeping whEn dis woZ...' should be killed mercilessly.

1 Like

Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Lakayana: 6:29pm On Dec 29, 2012
IYA NGBALI: I had carry over in all my courses just because of it. Goodluck Jonathan should pls do something about it grin
OLODO you dare open your dull mouth to call UNCLE JONATHAN.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Seyipa(m): 6:31pm On Dec 29, 2012
Have we all forgotten d shorthand courses taken in those days, so why lament ova tins? Coz 4 me writin in full can be so tiring and cumbersum to rid.
Re: Are Smartphones Affecting Our Written And Spoken English Skills? by Andrew3(m): 6:34pm On Dec 29, 2012
Phones are becoming smart and humans getting foolish. grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LAUTECH To Graduate 10,317, 105 First Class, 112 Ph.d / CMS Grammar School, Lagos- Oldest Secondary School In Nigeria Celebrates 153rd / Nestle SIWES/IT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.