Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:50 AM

HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers (8987 Views)

The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch / Free CV Review For Students & Jobseekers / Free Cv Review For Students & Jobseekers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by hienyimba(m): 2:07pm On Dec 30, 2012
Good day to the employers in the house if any. Recruiting can be tough, it can be painful, it can be heart rendering so i would love you all to share your stories - or job-seekers who were funny,annoying,who scaled through,who were disqualified, what they did to deserve it ,anything.happy writing..

...Mine...

last December..
After a double page Job advertisement(on maybe Tuesday Guardian Newspapers) which cost you roughly 1.2million Naira, you open your emails the next day and scream OMG!!!
Inbox: 5000(unread)
Spam :12,000(new
)

And the funny thing is that you know all of them are Resumes from Jobseekers or just about anyone and almost everyone who thinks they are genuinely entitled to what your company has to offer but are/may not be suitably qualified..

Now:

You dont know what to do.Even the ad cost you 600k( outrageous for only a job ad. not even your company's product advert sef"wink. And now, these numerous resumes. And the worst thing is that you know you have to download them all, scan for viruses and worst still read/view them all.
Your OMG just got bigger....

Welcome to Company Recruitment
.......that just got easier.
Welcome to
HR

3 Likes

Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by hienyimba(m): 8:58pm On Dec 30, 2012
!!!!!
Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by hienyimba(m): 10:15am On Dec 31, 2012
anyway, some people might think that Employer means for large corporate bodies but you dont know that even if you have a mini kiosk and may take mama favor's daughter "make she sell for you wen you no dey", [b]Viola, you're an employer!!1 cool
[/b]

1 Like

Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by hienyimba(m): 3:41pm On Jan 01, 2013
smiley wink grin
Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by hienyimba(m): 3:42pm On Jan 06, 2013
nothing serious. just what all recruiters pay for the double page in guardian Newspapers
Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by qualified(f): 7:38pm On Jan 06, 2013
Seriously after d OMG, did u go through d 5000 resumes?
Right now, I'm applying for jobs, hope d CVs actually do get attention.
5000? I dont envy u though

1 Like

Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by hienyimba(m): 11:34pm On Jan 08, 2013
walahi. hr personals do not have any fun at all in recruiting.
Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by dokunbam(m): 3:05am On Jan 09, 2013
its your JOB

2 Likes

Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by hienyimba(m): 6:54pm On Jan 10, 2013
seriously!!!? angry anyway that't kinda true as much as i may have pleaded to disagree
Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by DJDOLA(m): 3:41pm On Jan 14, 2013
Y don't u come 2 nairaland and do ur advert ho! U don't want seun 2 chop inside ur money abi?but rember say u register free of charge on nairaland..let's support dis guy seun d guy they try no be small
Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by yemmight(m): 3:57pm On Jan 14, 2013
I am telling you. I dont think you need to pay all that for recruitment advert.
Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by DMainMan: 4:01pm On Jan 14, 2013
In this life, u just have to do what u think is right after careful evaluation. Never do anything to please another person at the detriment of you.

In fact, I don’t know the rule of success but the rule of failure is to trying to please everyone which u can never achieve as u ar bound to fail.

U ar important, valuable and deserve people respecting your informed decision.

The attached pix further demonstrate the goings-on in our society.

8 Likes

Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jan 14, 2013
OP instead of using half a mill to advertise on a newspaper, you can do it here on NL or even in the job section...never estimate the power of this great forum
Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by omotolsy(m): 4:11pm On Jan 14, 2013
Hmmmmm, thats the job of HR for u o! Am ano ACIPM plz i nid a job
Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by Biggoozz: 4:19pm On Jan 14, 2013
qualified: Seriously after d OMG, did u go through d 5000 resumes?
Right now, I'm applying for jobs, hope d CVs actually do get attention.
5000? I dont envy u though

I was thinking that the competition for the shortlister's attention starts with the cover letter, now I know your mail subject must be addressed competitively too. Job seekers are in real trouble in this country. 5 month ago, I advertised a mere freelance position for 4 people on Nairaland here, I was lucky I used a special email for that advert, else I wld have been in real trouble, mails are still hitting that box till today.

My advice with my little experience is that (qualified) applicants should always edit their CV, cover letter, and mail address to fit the advertised position so that the software or shortlister whose task is to pick 100 CVs out of the 10,000 can at least go though your CV talk less of inviting you if you are convincing.

Best of luck to the seekers!

1 Like

Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by ujukala: 4:33pm On Jan 14, 2013
You haven't seen anything yet!

1 Like

Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by Imstin: 4:55pm On Jan 14, 2013
Na wa oo, no wonder people who merit jobs hardly get dem, cos the employers may run out of patience in going thru such no of CVs sad

1 Like

Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by cj1080(m): 4:58pm On Jan 14, 2013
So you mean that all those job sites and agencies that post job adds are just giving HR so much work. 10,000 mails no wonder work no de. I remember that when i finish applying on jobberman i will be told 2 or 3 of my friends and 200,000 people on Facebook like this job add or applied and clicked like. Imagine the people who didn't click like then multiple that number by 2 and add your 2 or 3 friends plus 200,000 people.

Omo HR dude, How can i make my Resume scale thee odds and get the right reactions.

2 Likes

Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jan 14, 2013
hienyimba: Good day to the employers in the house if any. Recruiting can be tough, it can be painful, it can be heart rendering so i would love you all to share your stories - or job-seekers who were funny,annoying,who scaled through,who were disqualified, what they did to deserve it ,anything.happy writing..

...Mine...

last December..
After a double page Job advertisement(on maybe Tuesday Guardian Newspapers) which cost you roughly 1.2million Naira, you open your emails the next day and scream OMG!!!
)

And the funny thing is that you know all of them are Resumes from Jobseekers or just about anyone and almost everyone who thinks they are genuinely entitled to what your company has to offer but are/may not be suitably qualified..

Now:

You dont know what to do.Even the ad cost you 600k( outrageous for only a job ad. not even your company's product advert sef"wink. And now, these numerous resumes. And the worst thing is that you know you have to download them all, scan for viruses and worst still read/view them all.

Welcome to
HR

I've thought about this before. If i was HR and invested such money advertising i'd screen people out from the get go by catching those WHO DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL.

I'd request the email heading include the job position as a prefix. Eg: (Job004 Admin Secretary). Those who don't comprehend first to chuck out

I'd also not request MS word resumes but CV imputed in excel in a format i prescribe. Upon opening my inbox all mail with MS Word attachments will be first to be deleted.

Nigeria's a multitude got to cut out the shaft to get to the good stuff any which ways.

3 Likes

Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by Yvete(f): 5:15pm On Jan 14, 2013
hienyimba: You dont know what to do.Even the ad cost you 600k( outrageous for only a job ad. not even your company's product advert sef"wink. And now, these numerous resumes. And the worst thing is that you know you have to download them all, scan for viruses and worst still read/view them all. ....

I did a summer internship with a Recruitment Agency for Energy companies.

Don't they use filters to sift resumes in Nigeria?? How can anyone read all those resumes? The recruitment part of HR sucks. I used to sit all day reading resumes and marking them for calls. The secret to job-hunting is getting your resume noticed by using the exact keywords on the job listing online. I gets my attention because its specific to what the job entails. There are times when I'll submit resumes for review, the job seeker comes in for an interview and is rejected. Then I need to start the process all over again. cry cry

Global HR or HR Generalist is not a bad career at all! A lil too demanding.
Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by drealnamdy(m): 5:16pm On Jan 14, 2013
shocked embarassed10,000 applicants n only 100 gets chosen..shocked shocked embarassed.....I shouldn't even waste my time applyin for these jobs....thank God for the small business A̶̲̥̅♏ plannin to expand soon..start up a small business today peeps and watch it grow'
Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by mrperfect(m): 5:23pm On Jan 14, 2013
HR is a serious job.
Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by NoQualms1(f): 7:06pm On Jan 14, 2013
More HR personnel should comment on the thread please. We need their experiences to know how well to apply for jobs.
Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by Igholize(m): 7:56pm On Jan 14, 2013
[quote author=hienyimba]anyway, some people might think that Employer means for large corporate bodies but you dont know that even if you have a mini kiosk and may take mama favor's daughter "make she sell for you wen you no dey", [b]Viola, you're an employer!!1 cool
[/b][/quote. Na true talk. Very koret
Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by FlyboyZee: 8:18pm On Jan 14, 2013
Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by FlyboyZee: 8:20pm On Jan 14, 2013
@ all those advocating for online advert placements I feel your pains too, but I think you are missing the point here. Labour laws in the country require that you advertise in a national daily, especially if it is a government agency. If like send town criers to all the cities, town, villages and hamlets in the country and fail to advertise in a national daily, it would be declared null and void and the process councilled, for which the process would have to start all over again. Its a constitutional thing, the laws that be are yet to recognize new (online) media. Nobody like to throway that kind money na. haba!
Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by honestivo(m): 8:30pm On Jan 14, 2013
So what r those tins dat atract d attntion of d hr ?
Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by alphaconde(m): 8:37pm On Jan 14, 2013
I hate this job talk, too much criteria, after several years of schooling one stil has to be careful with the way they send emails. I advice job seekers to look inwards. There are no jobs in nigeria at least not as we speak. Do something for yourself start something, forget about gmat and filling forms on job portaLs. Abeg u. Everyone must be good at something, explore it.
Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by CallCTrainer: 8:45pm On Jan 14, 2013
What a greater percentage do not realise is that the Human Resource depts of established companies (mind my words pls -ESTABLISHED companies)use what is called HRIS (Human Resource Information system)which scans through hundreds and thousands of resumes/cvs in seconds.In the advert for jobs cum vacancies adverts you are required to send your information in a particular specified format (you are equally warned that if you do not follow the format you are not considered at all).

Now let me run through how recruitment works.

1.A gap for a particular skill is identified-no employer will pay you for doing nothing

2.A job specification is drawn up in collaboration with the head of that particular department and his/her immediate supervisor (your potential boss)

3.The person fit is also identified -can we do with a female or male,age bracket,experiences,qualifications,certifications etc-how qualified are u.
4.Advert then goes out:mind you there is always a)underemployment(people who are overqualified but will apply) b)not qualified (these are the WOT-waste of timers and the HRIS is quick to spot this and will sieve them out easily. so if you like 1million apply if you do not meet criteria set your CV will not even last 2 seconds on the system it will be expunged.

5.Shortlisting: This is when people are considered based on what the info supplied on CV and resume. Some organisations will even tell you to write a one page statement on why you should be hired for the job. (a lot of people find this extremely difficult and will chicken out at this stage) From my 14years HR experience this is the killer.Nigerian local graduates fall by the wayside here. Again mind my use of the english language -local- as a lot of our graduates fresh out of school locally cannot compose a string of coherent sentences with correct grammar,tenses and punctuation. i once interviewed a sociology 2:1 graduate that could not write a string of coherent sentences and the job involved report writing!!!!!!.Read more and practice writing good english essays not txting n ch8ing.

6.The interview proper:At this point you are one step through the door.The objective at this stage is -does this fella or lady fit into the organisation and will be an asset or a liability.of course with some bit of backgroung checking.are you who your CV say you are?
Another point to note here is with the advent of social media and lot of people put too MUCH online,facebook,tweets,pics etc.
Try and google your name and see what comes up!!! you will be shocked. (i have had to use online media for background checks while working on a classified client's contract in the UK for a job that included a security background check)Employers in US now request for your fb details at interviews-how about that!!!

7. The final stage is when you are called for a second interview where specifics are discussed-at this stage you only have your self to blame cos if you goof thats it.The company has a salary scale as no one is going to pay you more than your contemporaries in the same cadre or job within the same organisation so do your research well well before you pop out a figure (if you are asked that is)

if you succeed in all these steps and stages you are chosen if you are the BEST available,there is always someone more academically read than you,more certified than you,more experienced on the job than you.The key here is to be as competitive as possible.

If you are and there are 2 of you then one is chosen and the other is kept in view (KIV) so if the first guy misbehaves or does not fit you are called upon.
That my friends is how recruitment really works.If you are in the labour market spend the resources you have no matter how small it is to improve yourself within the career path you have chosen.become Chartered,certified or read more.Dont stop just keep moving.you will be surprised that the best jobs are never advertised but rather refered and referal comes from places were professionals meet and network.

Good luck on your next job interview.

regards
Anonymous
SPHR,MREC etc (dont let me bore you-i have 14 years Solid international HR experience)
i currently manage www.b20consulting.com

6 Likes

Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by frond: 9:54pm On Jan 14, 2013
hienyimba: Good day to the employers in the house if any. Recruiting can be tough, it can be painful, it can be heart rendering so i would love you all to share your stories - or job-seekers who were funny,annoying,who scaled through,who were disqualified, what they did to deserve it ,anything.happy writing..

...Mine...

last December..
)

Now:

Welcome to
HR

I don't really believe you are a professional recruiter, otherwise you should aware of software you can use to filter or search the submitted CVs using specific keywords. This is what professional recruiters do in other climes. So 10 millions CVs submitted to your email should not be a problem. This software should either access them in your inbox or your email transfer the submitted CV to the software. Is as simple as that.
Re: HR Experiences For The Benefit of Jobseekers by Raxxye(m): 10:33pm On Jan 14, 2013
frond:

I don't really believe you are a professional recruiter, otherwise you should aware of software you can use to filter or search the submitted CVs using specific keywords. This is what professional recruiters do in other climes. So 10 millions CVs submitted to your email should not be a problem. This software should either access them in your inbox or your email transfer the submitted CV to the software. Is as simple as that.
Be easy on the OP,man. He is sharing his personal recruiting experience, which isn‘t bad at all, if you ask me. It‘s possible his firm hasn‘t got the filtering software just yet. It will be more appreciated if you would share your own experience right here. Thanks.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

DSSC 2017 Recruitment Application Forms – DSSC Form / N-power: Physical Verification Will Commence As Soon As List Gets To NOA / Massive Graduate Academic Staff Recruitment At LASU (41 Vacant Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.