Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,791 members, 7,810,060 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:43 PM

Attn: Changing 3.0L Engine To 1.8L Or 2.0L In Mitsubishi Sigma - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Attn: Changing 3.0L Engine To 1.8L Or 2.0L In Mitsubishi Sigma (2193 Views)

How To Convert My Petrol Engine To Diesel Engine / Pls What Is The Meaning Of 2.0l,1.8l,1.7l / Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Attn: Changing 3.0L Engine To 1.8L Or 2.0L In Mitsubishi Sigma by akanxpress: 5:31pm On Dec 30, 2012
I'm impressed about Mitsubishi Sigma because of the quality of the body build. It seems very balanced & very durable whenever I sight any. However, I noticed from time to time that they are being sold cheap because the engine needs replacement (typical of luxury cars' 2nd hand value too). Anywhere, what rather concerns me more is the sigma's 3.0L engine covers about 7.5km per litre of fuel. I've seen Siena mounts 4.2L engine of bigger Audi S8 to Audi A4. I'm now asking: if the car has only bad engine problem, can I buy the Sigma and then buy a smaller engine of either Mitsubishi Galant or Lancer - 1.8L or 2.0L capacity and fix in there to enjoy lower fuelling advantage of 11km per litre. Now, I'm very particular about maintenance cost than performance. I also want to know whenever a car's engine is converted to another type/size whether the ECU of the new engine is required or the original one remains or it can be bypassed altogether.
Siena, Ikenna, all members, I count on your response. Thanks in advance
Re: Attn: Changing 3.0L Engine To 1.8L Or 2.0L In Mitsubishi Sigma by Nobody: 10:23pm On Dec 30, 2012
^^^ You can certainly convert a Mitsubishi Sigma 3,0 V6-24V engine to a 1,8 / 2,0 I4 16V.

However, most folk buy the car with a V6 to enjoy the performance advantage it offers over the smaller I4 motors. The Sigma IS available with a 2,0 I4 engine, why not simply buy one, rather than downgrade a V6?? You won't be making any appreciable savings buying the Sigma 3,0, then fitting an I4 engine. If it's done properly, your shopping list should look like this:

* Mitsubishi Sigma 2,0 16V engine.
* Mitsubishi Sigma I4 gearbox.
* Driveshafts to match the gearbox.
* Engine harness to match the engine.
* Engine ECU to match the harness.
* Transmission TCU and harness, depending on the age of donor car (assuming it's auto).
* Engine mounts.
* Gearbox mounts.
* Coolant hoses / pipes.
* Mitsubishi Sigma 2,0 front subframe.
* Mitsubishi Sigma 2,0 exhaust front section.

****LABOUR****

You'll definitely need the ECU of your chosen engine. It can be converted to carburetor, but it will be as thirsty as the 3,0 V6, or worse. A fuel-injected cylinder head is very different to one designed to run a carb. The valves are larger. The fuel-injected engine bottom end is also different. Higher compression ratio, so different pistons. If you run this with a carb, besides being incredibly thirsty (different burn rate) the higher compression ration will cause detonation.

Remember, converting to carb, and junking the ECU means no knock sensors to control ignition timing. Even if you were able to get gasoline with up to 99 RON, the engine will still detonate. Prolonged, uncontrolled detonation will damage the piston crowns, and eventually blow holes in them.

There are many reasons not to do this conversion, and not enough to justify carrying it out.

1 Like

Re: Attn: Changing 3.0L Engine To 1.8L Or 2.0L In Mitsubishi Sigma by Ogojohn(m): 1:10pm On Dec 31, 2012
Mitsubishi sigma is one Japanese vehicle you will have and cry. Fuel consumption is out of the moon. Everyday I dream and try to figure out what I will do wit mine. As for the body. It is excellent but the fuel consumption and knowledge of our local mechanic is zero. Have seem a local mechanic here that drives one. I intend to visit him this January.
Re: Attn: Changing 3.0L Engine To 1.8L Or 2.0L In Mitsubishi Sigma by akanxpress: 5:58pm On Dec 31, 2012
Yes I've noticed very cheap offers on rather clean Sigmas which suggests it may give users maintenance & engine pains. I'll only be interested if there is a way of planting another Mitsubishi engine that is economical, reliable and easily repaired. That's the reason for the post.
@Ogojohn, let me know the feedback you got from that mechanic.
@Siena, what of mounting an older mitsubishi or another make engine of the generation that has no BrainBox. what's your considered opinion on that?
Re: Attn: Changing 3.0L Engine To 1.8L Or 2.0L In Mitsubishi Sigma by Nobody: 6:44pm On Dec 31, 2012
akanxpress: @Siena, what of mounting an older mitsubishi or another make engine of the generation that has no BrainBox. what's your considered opinion on that?

Not worth the expense. Honestly it'll make more sense to buy a Mitsubishi Sigma 2,0 I4 16V.
Re: Attn: Changing 3.0L Engine To 1.8L Or 2.0L In Mitsubishi Sigma by portacabin: 1:58pm On Jan 01, 2013
Most of the Mitsui Sigmas in naija are from the US so they come mainly with V6 engines
Re: Attn: Changing 3.0L Engine To 1.8L Or 2.0L In Mitsubishi Sigma by comprende: 1:33pm On Jan 18, 2013
I use a Mitsubishi Sigma 1992 Model V6 with manual transmission in Abuja. I must say that the car is wonderful in performance. It is actually a durable car but getting spare parts can be a nightmare.

For instance I wanted to change the clutch plate and discs and I couldn't get the plate in Abuja. My mechanic had to travel to Ibadan to get it for me. Also, I had issues with the gear box. He also had to travel to Lagos after searching all over Zuba spare parts market in vain. Then the electrical parts have been messed up for me by our Naija technicians. A lot of the features no longer work. I am planning to dispose of it soon and get another ride. But really, its a stong car, and as per fuel consumption..well, what do you expect from a V6. I stay around Utako and for normal office and school runs from Monday to Sunday, I use like 3/4 of my tank per week. I actually feel that the fuel tank of the Sigma is smaller than most Honda and Toyota cars cos I've never spent up to 6,000 to refill the tank when its down to red.
Re: Attn: Changing 3.0L Engine To 1.8L Or 2.0L In Mitsubishi Sigma by Ogojohn(m): 10:40pm On Jan 18, 2013
THE PARTS YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT HERE IS NO PROBLEM IF YOU ARE RESIDING AT ONITSHA. THE COMPLETE SET OF CLUTCH WHICH IS BOTH THE DISK,PLATE AND FLY WHEEL IS 8K AT MGBUKA MARKET. THE PROBLEM OF THE CAR IS TOO MUCH SOPHISTICATION OF THE WIRING WHICH GETS AN AVERAGE ELECTRICIAN CONFUSED AND FUEL CONSUMPTION. OTHERWISE IT IS A STRONG CAR.

1 Like

Re: Attn: Changing 3.0L Engine To 1.8L Or 2.0L In Mitsubishi Sigma by Ogojohn(m): 8:09pm On Feb 01, 2013
akanxpress: I'm impressed about Mitsubishi Sigma because of the quality of the body build. It seems very balanced & very durable whenever I sight any. However, I noticed from time to time that they are being sold cheap because the engine needs replacement (typical of luxury cars' 2nd hand value too). Anywhere, what rather concerns me more is the sigma's 3.0L engine covers about 7.5km per litre of fuel. I've seen Siena mounts 4.2L engine of bigger Audi S8 to Audi A4. I'm now asking: if the car has only bad engine problem, can I buy the Sigma and then buy a smaller engine of either Mitsubishi Galant or Lancer - 1.8L or 2.0L capacity and fix in there to enjoy lower fuelling advantage of 11km per litre. Now, I'm very particular about maintenance cost than performance. I also want to know whenever a car's engine is converted to another type/size whether the ECU of the new engine is required or the original one remains or it can be bypassed altogether.
Siena, Ikenna, all members, I count on your response. Thanks in advance
I OBSERVED THAT THE ENGINE TYPE USED IN SIGMA. 6G 72 ARE ALSO USED IN MONTERO, PAJERO, MAGNA AND DIAMANTE. EVEN THE Y721 AND Y722 ENGINE SERIES ARE ALL INTER CHANGEABLE.

(1) (Reply)

A Must Have For All Obd II Car Owners / Lagos To PH And Back / Uber/taxify/oga Taxi Driver Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.