Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,777 members, 7,955,971 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:08 PM

What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? (4673 Views)

Top 10 Countries With Highest Divorce Rate In 2014 / Lawyers Lament High Divorce Rate In Nigeria / High Increase In Divorce Rate In Our Society: Women The Cause, Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by Woged2005(f): 5:25am On Dec 31, 2012
I just read a disturbing thread on Nairaland (https://www.nairaland.com/160981/nigerian-nurses-beware) of unprecedented woes befalling marriages involving Nigerian nurses in USA, including divorces, legal separations, relationship dramas, and outright murder by their spouses. I searched further on Google and found even scarier stories, one citing almost a 50% divorce rate among Nigerian nurses in USA especially Licensed Practical nurses (LPNs) compared to Nigerian women in other professions. What could be the reason for this? Is it the stress of the job, upbringing back home or influence by peers?

Since I mentioned my intention to switch to nursing profession in order to get a more stable job in USA, my fiancé have developed a cold feet on moving forward while he is working through friends to talk me out of it. Any advice on how one can be a successful nurse in USA and still avoid these marital pitfalls?
Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by Callotti: 7:25am On Dec 31, 2012
Because WE ARE EXPENSIVE HOES that make more money AND CAN DELIVER IN CASH AND IN KIND, beautifully CONFIDENT, in demamd by MANY OF THE OPPOSITE SE-X, command respect from the community and are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too intelligent for MOST Nigerian 'country-niggazzz'!
Instead of 'em broke azzes to keep up with our paces, they be trying to pull us daaaaaan! angry
But H-Amerikah na woman KAUNTRI. . .say who die?
Na im go quench fOrst!
Jigabooz. . . try ya luck! wink

The only well adjusted Nigerian Men who have the GUSTO to deal with highly beautiful and assertive NURSES are MALE NURSES THEMSELVES who have come to understand what the 'shakara' is all about.

Simply put. . . WE ROCK. . .[size=20pt]because our 'swagger' dey 'dagger' PEEPS![/size] cool
Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by Callotti: 7:37am On Dec 31, 2012
Looking for advice?
Sorry. . . I ain't gat none! kiss
You are an adult. . .it is your life!
Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by softtouch2(m): 10:34am On Dec 31, 2012
Woged2005: I just read a disturbing thread on Nairaland (https://www.nairaland.com/160981/nigerian-nurses-beware) of unprecedented woes befalling marriages involving Nigerian nurses in USA, including divorces, legal separations, relationship dramas, and outright murder by their spouses. I searched further on Google and found even scarier stories, one citing almost a 50% divorce rate among Nigerian nurses in USA especially Licensed Practical nurses (LPNs) compared to Nigerian women in other professions. What could be the reason for this? Is it the stress of the job, upbringing back home or influence by peers?

Since I mentioned my intention to switch to nursing profession in order to get a more stable job in USA, my fiancé have developed a cold feet on moving forward while he is working through friends to talk me out of it. Any advice on how one can be a successful nurse in USA and still avoid these marital pitfalls?

@OP: I may not have all the data, but your findings may be true anyway, because I got people in USA in nursing profession now living as a single parent. Reason I don't know too.

Relationship problem maybe from either of spouses due to the job demand. Likewise, it can never be that, everyone would have same problem.
So, since you're having awareness now, it is an opportunity to make sure yours won't head toward that direction.
Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by Woged2005(f): 2:11pm On Dec 31, 2012
Callotti: Because WE ARE EXPENSIVE HOES that make more money AND CAN DELIVER IN CASH AND IN KIND, beautifully CONFIDENT, in demamd by MANY OF THE OPPOSITE SE-X, command respect from the community and are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too intelligent for MOST Nigerian 'country-niggazzz'!
Instead of 'em broke azzes to keep up with our paces, they be trying to pull us daaaaaan! angry
Na im go quench fOrst!

The only well adjusted Nigerian Men who have the GUSTO to deal with highly beautiful and assertive NURSES are MALE NURSES THEMSELVES who have come to understand what the 'shakara' is all about.

Simply put. . . WE ROCK. . .[size=20pt]because our 'swagger' dey 'dagger' PEEPS![/size] cool

Sister you sound like our nurses got it all in cash and all that (swagger). However reports show that nurses (CNA/ LPNs) are only in the low - median salary ($30k - $65 a yr, same as Taxi drivers and armed security guards) in the USA according to tax information. There are several Nigerians in USA making six figures especially those in IT (average $90k a yr) and financial industries (about $110k a yr) but not having same issues. My friends at UN, IMF/World Bank make almost $120k a year and work only 8hours a day.....
Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Dec 31, 2012
^^ CNA and LPN are the taxi drivers in nursing. Do your research on the burgatti, lamborghini et al drivers. I think they got the swagger. My 2 cents.
Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Dec 31, 2012
Callotti: Because WE ARE EXPENSIVE HOES that make more money AND CAN DELIVER IN CASH AND IN KIND, beautifully CONFIDENT, in demamd by MANY OF THE OPPOSITE SE-X, command respect from the community and are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too intelligent for MOST Nigerian 'country-niggazzz'!
Na im go quench fOrst!

thanks sistah! U just spoke my mind.you are 1oo% correct
Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by Woged2005(f): 5:28pm On Dec 31, 2012
Dr young: ^^ CNA and LPN are the taxi drivers in nursing. Do your research on the burgatti, lamborghini et al drivers. I think they got the swagger. My 2 cents.

But the, divorces, breakups and marital woes are not happening much for the high income nurses (BSNs and Masters Degree holders) and medical practitioners but mostly for the LPNs, and small people like me. What are we doing wrong then? That's my question. Swagger or not there's no happy divorced woman with kids..please let's not pretend. Why are nurses in Nigeria not divorcing then? They are married to the same insecured, chavanistic Nigerian males.
Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by Charliemorgano(m): 8:34pm On Dec 31, 2012
Its just empty pride.....I know women who earn triple of their salary and yet very humble...Ladies like Ngozi Okonjo Iweala is my ideal woman...anytime....anyday...why hasn't she divorced the husband as a world bank vice-president.....Its just pride....pride...pride

1 Like

Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by tpia5: 8:37pm On Dec 31, 2012
this poster is not a well person.

better ignored but then she might assume no one sees her [or him] undecided

Woged2005:

Sister you sound like our nurses got it all in cash and all that (swagger). However reports show that nurses (CNA/ LPNs) are only in the low - median salary ($30k - $65 a yr, same as Taxi drivers and armed security guards) in the USA according to tax information. There are several Nigerians in USA making six figures especially those in IT (average $90k a yr) and financial industries (about $110k a yr) but not having same issues. My friends at UN, IMF/World Bank make almost $120k a year and work only 8hours a day.....

Woged2005:

you have issues and need help.
Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by Charliemorgano(m): 8:49pm On Dec 31, 2012
I forgot to add...The American Laws as it relates to marital relationship places more rights on women....thank God for Nigeria.....If u enter naija marry correct guy...the day u mess up ....u go get technical separation...it means u won't see your husband in months another woman is giving him TLC ...NO TIME....

1 Like

Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by Callotti: 8:51pm On Dec 31, 2012
Woged2005:

So your level na the bottom of the drum aka CNA and LVN huh?
Nor be ya fault. grin
No wonder. grin
Only nurses married to LIMO drivers aka glorified MOLUE drivers are at such high risk for divorce dear. If you don't want DIVORCE PLUS UNTIMELY DEATH. . . aim higher!
MARRY A PROFESSIONAL LIKE YOURSELF!

No guarantees of course. Push come to shove, you live as flatmates! No need for divorce.kiss
Abi Dr. Ngozi of the World Bank nor marry dokita wey get 'nurse-concubine'? grin
Nor be marriage be dat? wink
Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by Callotti: 9:12pm On Dec 31, 2012
Woged2005:

But the, divorces, breakups and marital woes are not happening much for the high income nurses (BSNs and Masters Degree holders) and medical practitioners but mostly for the LPNs, and small people like me. What are we doing wrong then? That's my question. Swagger or not there's no happy divorced woman with kids..please let's not pretend. Why are nurses in Nigeria not divorcing then? They are married to the same insecured, chavanistic Nigerian males.

It is quite unfortunate that you really think there are 'marriages' in places like Nigeria where women have ABSOLUTE ZERO VALUE.
Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by Woged2005(f): 9:40pm On Dec 31, 2012
Callotti:

It is quite unfortunate that you really think there are 'marriages' in places like Nigeria where women have ABSOLUTE ZERO VALUE.

There are just a lot of angry people pretending to be happy!!! I don't judge anyone and my prayers for all those going through problems is that their hearts be healed. Life is all about fulfillment. Bob Marley sang "..are you satisfied... with the life you are living..?" Doesn't matter if you are either in Nigeria, USA, China, Jamaica or Babados. I've lived in US for the past 5yrs. I don't think people living in USA are more fulfilled than people in Nigeria and vice versa, and I don't think mariages in USA are sweeter than those in Nigeria.. It's all case by case basis. My pastor once said "you have a hand in whatever you are going through in life..the sooner you face it the better"
Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by Callotti: 10:33am On Jan 01, 2013
Woged2005:

There are just a lot of angry people pretending to be happy!!! I don't judge anyone and my prayers for all those going through problems is that their hearts be healed. Life is all about fulfillment. Bob Marley sang "..are you satisfied... with the life you are living..?" Doesn't matter if you are either in Nigeria, USA, China, Jamaica or Babados. I've lived in US for the past 5yrs. I don't think people living in USA are more fulfilled than people in Nigeria and vice versa, and I don't think mariages in USA are sweeter than those in Nigeria.. It's all case by case basis. My pastor once said "you have a hand in whatever you are going through in life..the sooner you face it the better"

Your opinion. I beg to differ. How can ANYONE live aI fulfilled life amidst the level of poverty in a place like Nigeria? Lest you derail your own thread, back to topic.
I repeat:If you are successful avoid miserable and wretched mentalities. 90% of Nigerian nurses are CONTENT and happy as single or married.

Your choice abeg. Nor be by force to be NURSE! You can be anything you wanno be. . . NO BARRY CARES! kiss

Next thread please! kiss
Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by Callotti: 10:39am On Jan 01, 2013
Woged2005:

Your opinion. I beg to differ. How can ANYONE live a fulfilled life amidst the level of poverty in a place like Nigeria? Lest you derail your own thread, back to topic.
I repeat:If you are successful avoid miserable and wretched mentalities. 90% of Nigerian nurses I KNOW, are CONTENT and happy as single or married.kiss Unless you are dealing with those "mgbeke-wife-killers" we read about. wink

Your choice abeg. Nor be by force to be NURSE! You can be a doctor or pharmacist. No time to waste. This na 2013.

Happy NY!

Back to my sweeeeeet nursing job jare. Triple HOLIDAY-PAY.kiss Less than 3 hours to close! cool
Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by Woged2005(f): 12:37pm On Jan 01, 2013
Callotti:

Your opinion. I beg to differ. How can ANYONE live a fulfilled life amidst the level of poverty in a place like Nigeria? Lest you derail your own thread, back to topic.
I repeat:If you are successful avoid miserable and wretched mentalities. 90% of Nigerian nurses I KNOW, are CONTENT and happy as single or married.kiss Unless you are dealing with those "mgbeke-wife-killers" we read about. wink

Your choice abeg. Nor be by force to be NURSE! You can be a doctor or pharmacist. No time to waste. This na 2013.

Happy NY!

Back to my sweeeeeet nursing job jare. Triple HOLIDAY-PAY.kiss Less than 3 hours to close! cool

Ok. Happy New year! Life is not about money though, and money doesn't buy happiness. Even Americans call it 'petty' when a life is dependent on hourly 'dollars' and 'cents'. I know many students in USA whose school fees & accomodation are being paid in full by their parents from Nigeria in hard dollars. We can't call such people poor. Here in US I know several nurse friends from Nigeria who dress, look exuberant and portray affluence outside but within they share they are not happy in anyaway. They want a happy family for their kids like others. That's the point of this thread...how one can avoid that. It's not really about how much people earn or have. The best paid and the wealthiest people hardly talk about it...
Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by bigheart2013(m): 1:24pm On Jan 01, 2013
Simply summarized:Some are good, make good wives at homes while some are best described as petty 'drama queens' who started making money they never expected in their lives. it got into their head. Other causes and solutions as you requested are:

Cause 1: Influence from older divorced nurses. Solution: Work with them, respect them but never have close association with them especially long empty, fable, phone conversations (gossips). They'll polute your mind.

Cause 2: Long working hours. many nurses work overtime, double jobs to make the so-called money. They come home, tired, stressed and apprehensive. Solution: Balance career with family. Raising a happy family is a full-time job also. Work your 8hrs, go home spend time wit your hubby. get rest, eatout together, be romantic! make sweet love rather than working long hours.

Cause 3: Lack of family values/good upbringing back home. some parents in Naija raise kids to believe money is everything; going to America is a gateway to dat money. Truth: The longer you live in America the more indebted you're, poorer you're because your liability (worth you owe) is higher than your assets (what you have) called Networth, d unhappier you are. Live within ur means.

Cause 4: Ungodliness! The so-called freedom/ enjoyment is usally fornication, partying, clubbing, drinking, ungodliness. Solution: Follow bible "Wives obey (respect) your husbands, be submissive to them...husbands love your wives as Christ loved his church..". You are partners for progress; not competitors/ business associates. Enjoyment is when a family spends time together, husband and wife hold hands in love, cuddle each other while watching their children play, laugh and be happy.

1 Like

Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by 1k001(m): 11:09pm On Jan 02, 2013
Charliemorgano: Its just empty pride.....I know women who earn triple of their salary and yet very humble...Ladies like Ngozi Okonjo Iweala is my ideal woman...anytime....anyday...why hasn't she divorced the husband as a world bank vice-president.....Its just pride....pride...pride

NOI's husband is an accomplished neurosurgeon, maybe that has something to do with it.
Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by bigheart2013(m): 12:28am On Jan 03, 2013
I can advise young men going back to Nigeria to marry to stay away from potential 'Drama Queens'...nothing good ever comes from them except troubles an divorce...usually empty drums make the loudest noise. There are beautiful Nigerian ladies already adjusted to US culture/system you can marry..why travel home?
Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by DaDewdropsNVS: 3:41am On Jan 29, 2013
Because the nurses are the breadwinners and the husbands do not make good house-keepers and baby-sitters like mine! grin
Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by drnoel: 9:29pm On Jan 29, 2013
Na im go quench fOrst!

who is this n wat is she saying??
Re: What's The Cause Of High Divorce Rate Among Nigerian Nurses In USA? by Lasinnoh: 9:35pm On Jan 29, 2013
drnoel:
who is this n wat is she saying??

*shouting at the top of my lungs*

[size=20pt]NA H-ONLE MY POST YOU SEE FOR THIS THREAD? [/size]

Hey!
This is LASINNOH. . . Get ya fingers off my post! kiss
If you don't h-understand. . . .GET AN H-INTERPRETER FROM 'THE MIDDLE BELT' OF NIGERIA!
Thank you!

*Back to in read mode only* cool

(1) (Reply)

Husband Has HIV But Wife Does Not Know / Must I Always Be The One To Initiate Sex With My Wife,advise Pls / Nigeria's High Birth Rate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.