Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,933 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? (6861 Views)

Where Do The Extra People Come From On Cross Over Nights? / 10 Types Of Youths That Will Attend Cross Over Service / Cross Over Night/new Year Resolutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by k2039: 8:03am On Jan 01, 2013
ednut1: because we nigerians are hypocrites, afta tonight, we continue or justified evil ways

[color=soyouquotedme]Just has my brother Mynd_44 said on one of my threads.
Hypocritical Nigerians, smh.
[/color]
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by k2039: 8:05am On Jan 01, 2013
Shenez: What are you trying to insuniate? These practice have been occur before you are born even your father.

[color=soyouquotedme]and people have not thought it reasonable to question tradition,

Must we do things because it's done that way or do thinks because we have thought it right to do.

Smh
[/color]
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by k2039: 8:06am On Jan 01, 2013
bobblue: I personally think it is pointless. There is nothing significant about Dec 31/Jan 1 in the Gregorian calendar. It is not a significant date in God's calendar. It is ok to pray, it is ok to reflect but the dogmatism and fanaticism about that date is what irks me. For those who follow God's calendar there are certain dates to watch out for, those are the dates that really matter

[color=soyouquotedme]Wa Gbayi (you are honerd).
Ori e pe(you are sensible

Gbam.
[/color]
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by k2039: 8:07am On Jan 01, 2013
Osyxcel:

D fact that it has been in practise 4 a long tym doesn't make it d best practise....

[color=soyouquotedme]Gbam, must we accept everything that's passed down to us.
We need to begin to question this powerful traditions.
[/color]
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by k2039: 8:09am On Jan 01, 2013
Osahon7:
ok fine..where else would u wanna enter the new year?? In the club house or in the hotel room?? 365 days nr be moi-moi
[color=soyouquotedme]Nothing said........ [/color]
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by k2039: 8:13am On Jan 01, 2013
Tmany: significant reasongrin 365 days GONE thousands died thousands in the hospital thousands died alive.
If you are christian it cost you nothing to go to church for cross over service just to thank God 3hrs max
or just thank God with your family in your home

[color=soyouquotedme]Do I have to wait till that night to thank God and is anything wrong in thanking God the following morning [/color]
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by k2039: 8:15am On Jan 01, 2013
joe4christ: Well, from personal experience, i've come to the realisation that each year 31 Dec night i spend at home or somewhere else other than the church the entire year would just not be pleasant to me no matter the effort i put into it to make it successful, but each year i do attend such cross-over in a church (A living church) then through out that year i would record great succeess and less stressful and fulfilled year indeed.
It would just seem as if there are some unseen forces backing my endavours and making them successful. It's unbelievably true!

[color=soyouquotedme]This assertion must be the most baseless I have ever read, all you are attributing to cross over are just coincidences.

Think about it, if you prayed and committed the new year to God at cross over service, why do you have to pray in the other days of the year, why noot say you have prayed for everything at cross over.
[/color]
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by k2039: 8:17am On Jan 01, 2013
adexway: My take, just to start a new chapter with GOD. It's not a mandatory thing, it's more of your belief
[color=soyouquotedme]Is it reasonablle to wait till the end of the year to start a new chapter with God.

Why not start with God when you deem it necessary, when you sense the need arises in your spirit(you will realise it has nothing to do with the new year)
[/color]
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by k2039: 8:18am On Jan 01, 2013
gst101: had it been we do not use he gregorian calendar, we will not be celebrating any new years day today. The new year has no significance in divine revelation. Sadly, i do hear some christians say new year is better than chrismas! These christians obviously know nothing about divine revelation.
[color=soyouquotedme]God bless you [/color]
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by k2039: 8:19am On Jan 01, 2013
matrixme: People should not generalize on things... If December 31st night doesn't look significant to you, then I personally believe it is up to you. Last time I checked, "watchnight service" has got its own Wikipedia page, so it must be that important enough to a whole lot of people who feels thankful to their creator for counting them privileged to be alive and to receive instructions and cover for the new year among other reasons. Besides, nobody is being forced to attend one, for there are many other "great" places one can spend such important night. After all, it is just only "one out of the many" days in a year to the undiscerning
[color=soyouquotedme]It's only important because people over rated it.
So why not justify the point for it rating.
[/color]
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by Synthase(m): 8:41am On Jan 01, 2013
Osyxcel:

Word!
so this is why you opened the thread afterall, to see those that shares same ideology with you. Now you got a fan there... Silly thread grin
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by omiobo: 9:39am On Jan 01, 2013
I value crossover night because I need to be in the midst of God's people to exalt His name for all the marvelous works he has done for me. It is not a crime for such day to be set aside for the worshipers of God to reflect on what God has done for them throughout the year,and to thank Him for mercy and grace to witness new year.
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by Osyxcel(m): 9:55am On Jan 01, 2013
omiobo: It is not a crime for such day to be set aside for the worshipers of God to reflect on what God has done for them throughout the year,and to thank Him for mercy and grace to witness new year.

Yes, it is not a crime....it's gud, but there should be sincerity of purpose...
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by gst101: 11:40am On Jan 01, 2013
omiobo: I value crossover night because I need to be in the midst of God's people to exalt His name for all the marvelous works he has done for me. It is not a crime for such day to be set aside for the worshipers of God to reflect on what God has done for them throughout the year,and to thank Him for mercy and grace to witness new year.
i agree it is not a crime to set aside a day to worship. So i believe you are not going to have a problem with "settting aside a day" to celebrate the SOLEMNITY OF THE NATIVITY OF THE LORD aka xmas. Yet, pentecostal especially do not go to church on xmas day. What makes me doubt their xtianityis that they rate new year higher than xmas. They do this even though xmas has every thing to do with christianity and ew year has nothing to do with christianity.
Re: What Is The Significance/reason(s) For Cross-over Night? by bobblue: 6:38pm On Jan 01, 2013
OmolodMilkman93: sir, pls wat re those dates?

Here is a sample of a calendar who's dates have any significance to God, God's calendar if you will: http://www.chabad.org/calendar/view/month.asp?tdate=1/1/2013 An example of a date to watch out for is 'Tishrei 1' every year (after sundown on Sept 4 in 2013, it changes every year on the Gregorian calendar), that's a significant date in God's calendar, it's the day the feast of trumpets (Roshashana) begins or 'the day of the awakening blast'

(1) (2) (Reply)

Recipe For Sweet Relationship (cork's Report: 2010) / Thank God Is Friday (tgif)! / Photo : The Facebook Illuminati Symbol Hidden Inside Mark Zuckerberg’s Hoodie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.