Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,979 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:50 AM

Be Careful When Ordering A Car From Overseas - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Be Careful When Ordering A Car From Overseas (2997 Views)

Photo: Is This The Best Way Of Securing Your Car From Theft? / Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying / Where's Your Car From? Automobile, And Their Origins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Be Careful When Ordering A Car From Overseas by automaster: 4:11pm On Feb 22, 2008
please i beg u in the name of God to be careful,infact ask for the sellers mother if that is what it will take to convince u to do business with him.
i almost lost some millions to a close pal who did not know that his contact was a fraudster.i strongly advise against making full payment for a car that u are not sure will come.mamy have sad stories to tell as per buying american and europian cars.
i wonder why a fellow nigerian who want to bring in a car to sell from america  will insist on cash  when he can collect a draft of cheque and get the cash from the bank?
also it is not too good for us that they place ridiculous prices on cars that we can see online for almost half the price.do not let them decieve u with the low millage story.
imagine some one saying a 2007 camry that is tokunbo is 5.8m,when it can be gotten for 2.8m on the same board?that does not mean i trust those who are asking u to pay for a car in advance on this board.
so before u make that payment,make sure u can go to sleep without wondering if the car will com
Re: Be Careful When Ordering A Car From Overseas by Midas02(m): 5:29pm On Feb 22, 2008
Mr Automaster,

First, I know you have trust issues but taking your fustration out on everyone that you see is not how to go about it. Coming to my thread to call me names is certainly not how to accomplish your goals either!. You have to decide within you if a type of business transaction is suited to your purpose/nature or not. It is your decision and yours only to make. Throwing tantrums and calling people you have never met, talked to, transacted business or communicated with "thiefs", is not only childish but also unlearned and rash!

Secondly, If you can find better deals on the internet then I will advise you to go ahead and consumate the transaction (the relentless and unrealistic pursuit of such 'sweet' deals is probably why you were nearly duped in the first place!!). The people who chose to invest their money and time, purchase a car and ship it to Nigeria, deal with the issues of customs and wait several weeks or months (averagely 3-4 months) to see a return deserve to make a profit, wouldn't you think? Risk usually brings its own reward (this is the premise upon which people make their decisions) and risk is a fact of life!. It is risky to trust, it is risky to ship cars without knowing if you will get it sold quickly, it is risky to invest in finance houses (remember Umanah Umanah?), it is risky to buy stocks, it is risky to do contract with Nigerian government, it is even risky to leave a fat deposit in a Bank (Banks fold up in Nigeria). Perhaps one should stuff his/her money in a pillow and sleep on it everyday! grin

Thirdly, the car that was offered by 'Otay' on Nairaland for N5.4Million is already in Lagos and is available to be inspected by anyone. Also the car is a fully optioned Camry XLE with V6, leather, bluetooth enabled and a host of extra features and is not an LE version like I offered. Is it a sin if the guy decides he wants to make healthy profit on the car after taking all the risk alone??. The Camry in Lagos is for people like you - yet you think it is too expensive!. You cannot have your cake and eat it!. My advice: You can always get on the next plane and come do it yourself. (I only hope you can at least trust the plane and airline to deliver you safely cheesy)

Finally, nobody asked for 'cash' and making a payment for a transaction abroad is not possible without going through a bank!. I believe it is best for someone like you to go get your car on the streets of Lagos. True, there are dupes and frauds in every business and the onus is on the buyer to be careful. The business of buying used cars in Nigeria or abroad is no different from buying land and is based on the premise of 'Caveat Emptor' - let the buyer beware!.  The number of cars being imported and the number of cars on the road in Nigeria goes to show me that most people ultimately get what they want. I hope you get what you want without further nasty experiences - a dose of realistic projections is the first step towards accomplishing this.
Re: Be Careful When Ordering A Car From Overseas by inspiredm(m): 7:19pm On Feb 22, 2008
automaster:

please i beg u in the name of God to be careful,infact ask for the sellers mother if that is what it will take to convince u to do business with him.
i almost lost some millions to a close pal who did not know that his contact was a fraudster.i strongly advise against making full payment for a car that u are not sure will come.mamy have sad stories to tell as per buying american and europian cars.
i wonder why a fellow nigerian who want to bring in a car to sell from america  will insist on cash  when he can collect a draft of cheque and get the cash from the bank?
also it is not too good for us that they place ridiculous prices on cars that we can see online for almost half the price.do not let them decieve u with the low millage story.
imagine some one saying a 2007 camry that is tokunbo is 5.8m,when it can be gotten for 2.8m on the same board?that does not mean i trust those who are asking u to pay for a car in advance on this board.
so before u make that payment,make sure u can go to sleep without wondering if the car will com

I support you 100%, people should be careful when ordering cars Overseas, [b]Ill advise against any cash payment or deposits before a car is being shipped, However, to be fair to both the prospective 'seller' and buyer, let a trust account be set up with the buyers bank, giving a standing order for the amount agreed to be released upon delivery of the car, Simple,  the Onus now lies on the buyer who intends profit to get the car delivered.

there are so many dubious pple that uses car sales from overseas to front for their despicable and fraudulent act.

Buyers please be careful.[/b]
Re: Be Careful When Ordering A Car From Overseas by Delta007(m): 8:05pm On Feb 22, 2008
inspired_m:

I support you 100%, people should be careful when ordering cars Overseas, Ill advise against any cash payment or deposits before a car is being shipped, However, to be fair to both the prospective 'seller' and buyer, let a trust account be set up with the buyers bank, giving a standing order for the amount agreed to be released upon delivery of the car, Simple, the Onus now lies on the buyer who intends profit to get the car delivered.

there are so many dubious people that uses car sales from overseas to front for their despicable and fraudulent act.

Buyers please be careful.
I'm not fronting for anyone but there are risks associated with any business. I've been involved in buying and selling vehicles in the past. There's nowhere in N.America that they'd release a car to you without you paying for the vehicle. Nigeria is a different kettle of fish. Someone (in Naija) orders a vehicle, the seller (in US) ties up his funds, buys it, ships it and clears it. When it gets to Naija, the intending buyer changes story and says. . ."persin don die for my family" or "i change my mind" or starts renegotiating. The vehicle doesnt get sold and it's just sitting. . . funds are tied up. Yes, there are fraudulent peeps (both buyers and sellers involved) but it's unfair to paint everyone with the same brush.

This is just a scenerio and the nature of this business demands that everybody covers his or her a$$ or base. What i'd advice is for any intending buyer or dealer to use some discretion and if something looks fishy, it is fish. . .not meat. If u dont trust ur seller in Yankee, move to the next one. . .it's as simple as that. You can negotiate paying a fraction which serves as a deposit; that's an option. Most dealers shipping to naija are doing it on a small scale. . . it's not as if they have a bank account such that they can afford to have their funds tied up in naija for several months. You'd realise most ship on demand.

One advice I give to pple is that they should make inquiries. If Midas says, I've been in this business ffor a yr and u are interested in doing business with him, ask him for references/for pple he has shipped to. At least those pple are in Nigeria and everyone has a GSM phone. If u have a pal or relative in yankee, tell the person to do u a favour and help get a feedback on the ride. Most pple i know have contacts in Nigeria; so u'd probably be paying their contacts in Nigeria the money. If the person you are paying it to, looks and sounds shady, waka because that's your only lifeline when or if story get k-leg. If the person doesnt have a stable base (office, house, etc) where u can go jack him for your dough, be very careful. At some point in this business, there has to be some level of trust and if u cant let go, dont risk it. That's the price you get to pay for looking for a relatively cheaper and "customized" ride. My 1-naira!
Re: Be Careful When Ordering A Car From Overseas by brauneyes: 8:26pm On Feb 22, 2008
As already postulated by the various posters before me, you should pursue due diligence before you engage in any transaction. However, last time i check all of North America and Nigeria practice capitalism. The seller has the right to set whatever a price he deems fit for his car.It is left for the buy to buy what he can afford. We Nigerians are fond of wanting the best but unwilling to pay the price for it.
When you see a vehicle being advertised online for a certain price, do you know that taxes has to be paid on it, transfer and administrative fees? Some states charge luxury tax, You guys have no idea how much extra one has to pay before a car leaves a car dealer lot and gets to Lagos.
All car dealers in North America would be Millionaires if the only price they pay is the advert price.
We here do not need to buy cars, tie down our capital for so long and you expect us not to make profit on it.
Because of my postings and the service i provide on my thread, the quantity of 419 letters i get in my email has jumped more than 75%. Do i stop postings on this site? NO i do not let that bother me.
If you cannot afford a certain type of car, why not buy what you can afford and stop hating, as the Americans would say.
Re: Be Careful When Ordering A Car From Overseas by qimpex: 3:02am On Feb 25, 2008
Exporting car to Nigeria is not as simple as ABC. Automaster must have had a bad experience from some rotten apples but the truth is most auto dealers in the US, like me are insured and bonded.

To most of us, car exporting to Nigeria is the greatest risk to take, hence in as much that it is obvious that some cars like an 07 Camry can get to Lagos for N3 million and offered for sale at N6 million, it is important to know what is involved. First of all, no car is the same in terms of specifications.You can't really compare an Honda Accord with another Accord of the same year because they both have leather interior, there are many add-ons that might differ these two cars.However, to an average Nigerian buyer all they care for 2000 Toyota Camry "padded", factory fitted AC and other jargons that doesn't really make any meaning in the very competitive American auto retail industry. One of my friends, shipped an 08 Camry to Lagos in Nov 07, and had the keys stolen at the port.He has spent about N500,000 at a dealership on Lekki E/way and the car's remote control is still not functioning Like every biz, the keyword is buyer's beware.

I have had situations when I bought cars without deposit from buyers in Nigeria, only for them to change color or options or stop communicating due to one funny story or another.Only last week, one of my buyers refused to pay for the  the remaining 75% and clearing cost of a car after it landed in Tin-Can simply because is father -in-law died. This is a guy who was calling me every second to find out the status of the car.

Lesson learned - don't send a car to LAgos unless and until you have received the bulk of your money. Most people think these cars are stolen or got for 50 cents. For record, cars are bought at Auto Auctions with Cash or Bank Drafts, no credit or COD.
Re: Be Careful When Ordering A Car From Overseas by wweekes(m): 11:05pm On Feb 26, 2008
SHIPPING COST OF CARS TO WEST AFRICA.

Category I Category II Category III
up to 400 cft 401-650 cft 651-899 cft
Used Cars Used Small Vans Used Big Vans

Dakar & Tema: $1,210.00 $1,255.00 $1,575.00

Lagos $1,345.00 $1,400.00 $1,895.00

Douala,
Pointe Noire,
Monrovia,
Banjul,
Conakry,
Freetown $1,650.00 $1,950.00 $2,290.00

Luanda & Boma $1,695.00 $1,750.00 $2,145.00

Lome & Cotonou $1,400.00 $1,480.00 $1,825.00

*******All Cotonou Shipments are subject to a $35 Cargo Tracking Note**

--
WESLEY W. WEEKES JR.
International Logistics Coordinator
WW Messenger & Shipping Co.
51 Main St.
Orange, NJ 07050
Phone: 973-674-8932
Fax: 973-675-1300
Mobile: 804-926-3708
Email: wweekes@gmail.com
A DHL Preferred Provider
Re: Be Careful When Ordering A Car From Overseas by ufofex(m): 12:54am On Feb 27, 2008
qimpex:

Exporting car to Nigeria is not as simple as ABC. Automaster must have had a bad experience from some rotten apples but the truth is most auto dealers in the US, like me are insured and bonded.

To most of us, car exporting to Nigeria is the greatest risk to take, hence in as much that it is obvious that some cars like an 07 Camry can get to Lagos for N3 million and offered for sale at N6 million, it is important to know what is involved. First of all, no car is the same in terms of specifications.You can't really compare an Honda Accord with another Accord of the same year because they both have leather interior, there are many add-ons that might differ these two cars.However, to an average Nigerian buyer all they care for 2000 Toyota Camry "padded", factory fitted AC and other jargons that doesn't really make any meaning in the very competitive American auto retail industry. One of my friends, shipped an 08 Camry to Lagos in Nov 07, and had the keys stolen at the port.He has spent about N500,000 at a dealership on Lekki E/way and the car's remote control is still not functioning Like every biz, the keyword is buyer's beware.

I have had situations when I bought cars without deposit from buyers in Nigeria, only for them to change color or options or stop communicating due to one funny story or another.Only last week, one of my buyers refused to pay for the the remaining 75% and clearing cost of a car after it landed in Tin-Can simply because is father -in-law died. This is a guy who was calling me every second to find out the status of the car.

Lesson learned - don't send a car to LAgos unless and until you have received the bulk of your money. Most people think these cars are stolen or got for 50 cents. For record, cars are bought at Auto Auctions with Cash or Bank Drafts, no credit or COD.
Bros, Abeg I no fit laugh . U no say many of us for 9ja no dey Y2K compliant, that is why we communicate in "paddeds,facs,ps," etc. Infactu, if I tell u say I wan buy 'Jeep' make u know say na 'SUV' I dey talk ofOOO. So u go need to ask me which brand/make. No go buy me CherokeeOOO! otherwise I no payOOO! grin grin When we request some of this rides ehm, make una dey try to educate us small on wetin dey.
All the best in your transactions.
Re: Be Careful When Ordering A Car From Overseas by bash123(m): 5:10pm On Dec 16, 2010
The best company i have ever used is GoGlobalCargo.com, they are very friendly people working over there and rates are very competitive and the best of all is the transit time for RoRo sometimes arrives to Nigeria less than 2 weeks from any port of the east coast in the US, they send cars trucks or heavy equipments, they also have container services from Houston, Miami and NY, THEY LOAD THERE OWN CARS!
and the best thing of all is that if you ship with them and after you take someone to them, you will get a discount on your next shipment with them!

Here is the information of my contact there:
Bob
Cel.786.362.4320
e-mail: info@goglobalcargo.com

and if you need to buy anything from the US they can do so too

(1) (Reply)

Best Oil To Use For A V6 Engine / Is Mazda A Good Brand? And Is The Engine Cheap. / Nissan Murano?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.