Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,115 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:04 AM

Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying (46511 Views)

Top 20 Used Cars To Avoid / Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria / Are Kia And Hyundai Cars As Reliable As Toyota Cars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by oludolars(m): 8:20pm On Jul 30, 2014
What to watchout for when buying Certain Models of Toyota cars.This is the reason why most of these models are resold fast and cheap.

4 Cylinder Camry 2002 - 2006(aka Big Daddy),
4 cylinder Highlander 2002- 2004 and other
cars with 2Az Engine.
Stripped head bolt is peculiar to these models
as from 70,000 miles.Entire coolant suddenly
leaks as a results of 3 head bolts pulling out of
Engine block.

4 cylinder Camry 2007 - 2010(Aka muscle and
Voltron),Corolla 2003 - 2006 and Toyota matrix
They burn oil greatly and oil level need to be
checked severally and topped if need be

1 Mz V6 Engine Toyota Cars: Highlander ,
Avalon ,Lexus Rx300,Lexus Es 300 etc
are very prone to Engine sludge if non
synthetic oils are used.Also their transmition
fail easily when the transmision oil and filter
is not changed on time.

Pls do a proper check when buying Nigerian
used of these cars.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by ITbomb(m): 9:18pm On Jul 30, 2014
We better not buy any car then

Or rather, which one should we buy.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jul 30, 2014
oludolars: What to watchout for when buying Certain Models of Toyota cars.This is the reason why most of these models are resold fast and cheap.

cars with 2Az Engine.
as from 70,000 miles.
Entire coolant suddenly
Engine block...

I use a 2AZ-FE highlander 03, its currently above 100k miles and still going strong. OP DON'T always believe everything you read online.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by leuelliot(m): 9:45pm On Jul 30, 2014
lomomike:

I use a 2AZ-FE highlander 03, its currently above 100k miles and still going strong. OP DON'T always believe everything you read online.

Do not let ignorance cloud your judgment. because your car is "going strong" doesn't make the information false. these engines have defects that's the sad Fact

21 Likes

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by dokilolo: 9:51pm On Jul 30, 2014
aw many big daddys avbu seen wit d stripped head bolt in Nigeria? even though we buy most of our toks wit mileage ova 100k miles.....aw many times avbu seen muscle users complain on cartalk nairaland about xtreme engine oil consumption?
I own a corolla 05 nd I av so many friends wit 02 -06 corolla without d problem u stated above.
OP I tnk u ar jst creating unnecessary panick.
every car has its own issues agreed, but I wuld nt b worried if 3000 out of d 10million units produced dev a particular fault.so stoo scarring Nigerians.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by dokilolo: 9:55pm On Jul 30, 2014
aw many big daddys avbu seen wit d stripped head bolt in Nigeria? even though we buy most of our toks wit mileage ova 100k miles.....aw many times avbu seen muscle users complain on cartalk nairaland about xtreme engine oil consumption?
I own a corolla 05 nd I av so many friends wit 02 -06 corolla without d problem u stated above.
every car has its own issues agreed, but I wuld nt b worried if 3000 out of d 10million units produced dev a particular fault.so stoo scarring Nigerians.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by leuelliot(m): 10:11pm On Jul 30, 2014
how many of the good folks who use these cars in Nigeria have time to report these problems on cartalk? how many times have you pulled over to find out why a stranded camry wouldn't start? i have seen 2 camrys with sludge build up. He is only creating awareness not panic.
Granted not all of these engine would develop sludge, but that doesn't change the fact that it is prone to certain failures

12 Likes

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jul 30, 2014
leuelliot:

Do not let ignorance cloud your judgment. because your car is "going strong" doesn't make the information false. these engines have defects that's the sad Fact
FYI, I've seen a toyota camry with that engine going over 300k miles and they haven't dropped the engine. I still repeat, DON'T trust everything you read online.
Chikena!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by oludolars(m): 11:40pm On Jul 30, 2014
Go and check the level of sincerity in ur replies.Why would a bigdaddy sell almost the same price with a drop lite?Just 100k difference.
Why would would it loose so much value to sell after few months?

Why is the 2007-2008 camry most sold even on dis site as nigerian used after registration for just few months despite the design is the predecessor to the latest body design.

All nigerians know is to keep replacing engines and gears with tokunbo ones at the Ladipo market.

Why do you find most tiny light used for at least a year after purchase as tokunbo before any consideration for sale as Nigerian used?

Why does 2az engine cost twice or in some cases thrice the price of 1mz V6 engine made for the same year for the same brand of cars if nt for d demand caused by frequent change of the engine?

If you hav cars for sale here with dis engines,you dnt hav to mislead ppl for desperate sales.

Thank you

15 Likes

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by Coldplay007(f): 12:51am On Jul 31, 2014
OP is high on cheap ATF... grin cheesy. .Everything you wrote there is pure unadulterated rubbish..

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by drnairalov: 4:36am On Jul 31, 2014
please howmuch to acquire change of ownership for a car been sold.thanks
Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by shadowwalker101: 4:38am On Jul 31, 2014
nice post
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by Nobody: 4:39am On Jul 31, 2014
Just tell us not to buy toyota again. Thatsall!! U work with innoson Lol

6 Likes

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by chatterly: 4:42am On Jul 31, 2014
oludolars: What to watchout for when buying Certain Models of Toyota cars.This is the reason why most of these models are resold fast and cheap.

cars with 2Az Engine.
Engine block.

is not changed on time.

used of these cars.

I bought my 07 Camry in July 2008 with just 21000 miles on the clock,6 years later it is still going strong without any major issues ever,my mum has a 2004 big daddy xle with the same 22AZ engine which is currently on 164000 miles .not so sure if to believe the cars are problematic as my personal experience has shown
Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by Nobody: 5:07am On Jul 31, 2014
dokilolo: aw many big daddys avbu seen wit d stripped head bolt in Nigeria? even though we buy most of our toks wit mileage ova 100k miles.....aw many times avbu seen muscle users complain on cartalk nairaland about xtreme engine oil consumption?

My 07 camry consumes oil. Maybe not as frequently as the OP put it...but after some weeks I notice the oil level getting lower

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by Ndaadama: 5:14am On Jul 31, 2014
Pls let me know when you want to sell yours.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by iykbethany(m): 5:15am On Jul 31, 2014
oludolars: Go and check the level of sincerity in ur replies.Why would a bigdaddy sell almost the same price with a drop lite?Just 100k difference.
Why would would it loose so much value to sell after few months?

Why is the 2007-2008 camry most sold even on dis site as nigerian used after registration for just few months despite the design is the predecessor to the latest body design.

All nigerians know is to keep replacing engines and gears with tokunbo ones at the Ladipo market.

Why do you find most tiny light used for at least a year after purchase as tokunbo before any consideration for sale as Nigerian used?

Why does 2az engine cost twice or in some cases thrice the price of 1mz V6 engine made for the same year for the same brand of cars if nt for d demand caused by frequent change of the engine?

If you hav cars for sale here with dis engines,you dnt hav to mislead ppl for desperate sales.

Thank you

What you said about the Toyota spider is very true, that 07 to 08 models are too problematic. I bought mine direct from USA with good mile and everything, yet it goes to mechanic almost every week. The gearbox just knocked few weeks back. It was a V6 Sports edition.

I have learn my lessons. Before I bought the car I didn't do any research. Now i know better. Before I buy any car I will take weeks or even months to do my research both online and offline. Just this year I realized many Americans who bought the 07 Camry complained a lot about the transmission etc.

Many models of the Toyota Spider was recalled by Toyota, some for brake issues, some of other reasons.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by kingdavid333(m): 5:32am On Jul 31, 2014
We re surely gonna make it BIG in life.......nd u knw wat?..Toyota cars aren't even goin 2 b an option becos we hv got better brands!!!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by slydog(m): 5:34am On Jul 31, 2014
I noticed that whenever the manufacturers of these cars abroad recall different models of their cars for repairs and correction, they hardly recall from places like Nigeria, does it mean we don't buy brand new cars? The cosharis, kelawram and other big dealerships in the country need to also call in these cars they sell whenever there is an issue.

6 Likes

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by bisi16(m): 6:04am On Jul 31, 2014
I'm a German car fan :-)

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by Funjosh(m): 6:09am On Jul 31, 2014
Let me just read this post sha, i will be getting my car soon.
Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by gebest: 6:10am On Jul 31, 2014
Well i've been using my big daddy 4 synlinder for over 4 years now and am stil enjoyin it.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by mansmith(m): 6:29am On Jul 31, 2014
which engine is better
Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by femi4: 6:32am On Jul 31, 2014

cars with 2Az Engine.
Engine block.

is not changed on time.

used of these cars.

Pure rubbish, see generalization.

All cars tend to develop problem at one time or the other. Driving culture of the owner is another factor

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by Nobody: 6:42am On Jul 31, 2014
slydog: I noticed that whenever the manufacturers of these cars abroad recall different models of their cars for repairs and correction, they hardly recall from places like Nigeria, does it mean we don't buy brand new cars? The cosharis, kelawram and other big dealerships in the country need to also call in these cars they sell whenever there is an issue.
The ones sold my coscharis, kewlaram e.t.c are not Toyotas...they are Toyutas.

3 Likes

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by pximmortal(m): 6:44am On Jul 31, 2014

cars with 2Az Engine.
Engine block.

is not changed on time.

used of these cars.

pls, is there any problem peculiar to 1999 toyota camry,tiny light?
Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by Nobody: 6:46am On Jul 31, 2014
femi4: Pure rubbish, see generalization.

All cars tend to develop problem at one time or the other. Driving culture of the owner is another factor
some cars, no matter how much you take care of them are always gonna be problematic due to factory issues or manufacturing defects affecting a whole batch that came off a production plant.

Some cars you need to avoid like a plague While some cars are just awesome....
carcomplaints.com

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by spyg1(m): 6:51am On Jul 31, 2014
kingdavid333: We re surely gonna make it BIG in life.......nd u knw wat?..Toyota cars aren't even goin 2 b an option becos we hv got better brands!!!
INNOSON ko?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by spyg1(m): 6:55am On Jul 31, 2014
All cars need maintenance, if you don't maintain them, expect such problems.
Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by majemite(m): 7:07am On Jul 31, 2014
The op is right about the 2007 toyota Camry, it consumes oil like mad after some miles...

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying by Gaucho(m): 7:11am On Jul 31, 2014
I am expecting a Toyota Corolla Sport 2007 from the US,hope it a a very good and durable car? Please advise.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Problem: My Reverse Gear Gives A Scary Jerk With A Sound. / Innoson Is Not The Only Vehicle Manufacturer In Nigeria. See The Others (PHOTOS) / Picture Of Bugatti Veyron In Abuja.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.