Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:13 PM

Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? (26870 Views)

The 130 Titles Of The Pacesetters Series / Who Remembers The Pacesetters Novel / Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Buzman: 10:46am On May 13, 2010
thanks, @asamuel. What an awesome place www.kalahari.com.ng is.

Never knew that there's such an online shop in Nigeria
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by BabaOnileK: 12:16pm On Oct 28, 2010
Those who miss the Pacesetters series can probably visit the Ilupeju office at Industrial Avenue (opposite Zenith Bank). I was there yesterday (27th October 2010) and got like 14 titles at a low price of NGN280 each. I had previously bought three titles at NGN350 each at a book fair.

You may not get all the great titles but you would have a good selection.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by mumagee(f): 10:02am On Nov 10, 2010
see some

Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Ndipe(m): 10:21pm On Nov 10, 2010
Nice@mumagee
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by tpia5: 9:56am On Nov 11, 2010
nice
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Nobody: 8:16am On Feb 08, 2011
I'm glad to tell you guys. That the books are still available in some bookshops in ibadan. I bought some not too long ago. Or you could go to any macmillian publishing office.if you are interested pls let me know i'll be glad to help out. Thanks
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Ndipe(m): 12:15am On Mar 24, 2011
http://www.africabookcentre.com/acatalog/index.html?http%3A//www.africabookcentre.com/acatalog/Pacesetters.html&CatalogBody
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by adetunrayo(f): 4:40pm On Mar 28, 2011
"Harvest of love" written by one Ghanian.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Ndipe(m): 9:35pm On Mar 28, 2011
adetunrayo:

"Harvest of love" written by one Ghanian.

Yeah, the author's name is Sam Aryeetey. That's a book I wanna lay my hands on and reread it again. I remember part of the story line, an unmarried girl is pregnant before the dipo rites and her pregnancy is exposed during the tribal ceremony which makes her an outcast in the community. She flees with her boyfriend to a city where she gives birth to a baby girl and is taken in by a loving family, but eventually, she dies, and her boyfriend is denied access to his daughter. He dies later on and the girl falls in love with who? The son of the family that took in her pregnant mother? I know the girl later on contacts her mother's family who insist that she has to undergo the dipo rites ceremony also.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by thateaser: 2:22pm On Apr 01, 2011
i love Evbu my love, christmas holiday, the director, I love em all jooor!

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by blacklion(m): 2:10pm On Apr 04, 2011
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by eridah2007(m): 7:30am On Jul 01, 2011
@blacklion
Well done smiley
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by MyneWhite1(f): 11:00pm On Jul 17, 2011
Tesco sells them now, wow!
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by blacklion(m): 3:30am On Jul 18, 2011
Myne White:

Tesco sells them now, wow!

Now, if Tesco would stock your books, that would be so wow wink grin
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by MyneWhite1(f): 4:01am On Jul 18, 2011
blacklion:

Now, if Tesco would stock your books, that would be so wow wink grin

Hi Blacklion, Tesco already stocks my first book, A Heart to Mend. So if that is where you shop, you know what to do. wink grin

http://www.tesco.com/books/product.aspx?R=9781449047504
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by blacklion(m): 4:18am On Jul 18, 2011
Congrats! Its really great that Tesco shoppers can buy more books by African writers. And its also good to see African writers getting beyond the usual publishing and literary ghettoes. You truly do us proud!
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by MyneWhite1(f): 4:28am On Jul 18, 2011
Thank you!

You do speak the truth. Slow and steady.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Ollyman(m): 11:58pm On Dec 21, 2011
I still have some: CROSS FORE, STONE OF VENGEANCE, COUP, MARK OF THE COBRA. They were all wonderful novels.

Our so called NOLLYWOOD should have at least convert it to home video. or better still the MACMILLIAN should re-publish it.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by luvinhubby(m): 11:34pm On Aug 01, 2012
Was realy thrilled by Bloodbath at Lobster close, very nostalgic. Read almost all the series.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by tpia5: 4:51am On Aug 02, 2012
Our so called NOLLYWOOD should have at least convert it to home video. or better still the MACMILLIAN should re-publish it.

i agree.

Read almost all the series.

me too.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by tpia5: 4:56am On Aug 02, 2012
If you can recall the storyline in "The Cyclist", the bicycle repairer told his wife to enter the room and prepare for conjugal activity when he learnt that the woman's 1st husband had just returned from the Biafra war. back in those days that part of the story seemed like full blown Indecency. i remember visiting that particular page several times afterwards. ( i was under 10 yrs at the time). i used to get a kick by just reading that portion over and over again

i remember this title but not the storyline as you described it here.

When i first read 'Undesireable element' i thought that was the bomb until i started reading others, "ebvu my love", "rich girl poor boy" e.t.c

likewise.

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Fogman(m): 1:34am On Apr 13, 2013
Oh! This have just refreshed my memory. Remember some like:

Tell Me No More
Rich girl, Poor boy
The betrayer
Tell me no more
The worshippers
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Irshittabey: 2:09pm On Dec 09, 2013
I must read just a handful mostly by borrowing or my older-cousin-passed-it-down-to-me-thing.
The one I loved the most and can't forget and wis it was turned to a movie is The Worshippers it was a thriller
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by tpia1: 2:23am On Aug 11, 2014
jaybaby: I remember the pacesetters series very well,especially 'evbu my love'.

@icon
You were referring to the book 'The land of the crocodile's teeth' grin.I read it in my last year in primary school many harmattans ago tongue.

anyone with the synopsis?

i remember it faintly.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by tpia1: 2:24am On Aug 11, 2014
If you can recall the storyline in "The Cyclist", the bicycle repairer told his wife to enter the room and prepare for conjugal activity when he learnt that the woman's 1st husband had just returned from the Biafra war. back in those days that part of the story seemed like full blown Indecency. i remember visiting that particular page several times afterwards. ( i was under 10 yrs at the time). i used to get a kick by just reading that portion over and over again

i seriously have no idea why this keeps cracking me up.

lord have mercy.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by tessadoghorgma(f): 6:06pm On Sep 04, 2014
I love those books. Who is up for writing for them again? I am interested.
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by tessadoghorgma(f): 7:20pm On Sep 04, 2014
I heard they are back. Is that true? If it is, contact me on tessadoghor@gmail.com
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by johnie: 1:06pm On Oct 08, 2014
Can anyone provide a current and working phone number?

Thanks
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Ndipe(m): 4:33am On Dec 03, 2015
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Ndipe(m): 4:43am On Dec 03, 2015
Nnenna1:
Hey, speaking of Pacesetters Books, there's this really good novel I read years ago. It's about a young man who returns from the Biafran war, only to find out that his wife was given away (by his family) to an abusive bicycle repairer as a new husband (if I remember correctly). Well, the young man looks for her and such, and they actually get together (it happens on the day when a cyclist called Zorro perfoms in their village), but the new husband finds out, and then tragedy strikes.  Not exactly Achebe in comparison, but the novel was actually very haunting undecided. A week after reading it I was still thinking about the characters.

I think it's a Pacesetters novel, and I'm wondering if anyone has read this same storyline and knows the title. I really want to read it again. Check it out somewhere and buy it.

Any answers to this will be appreciated. thanx.  grin

I remember the story line, but I dont think it's in the cyclist. The young man at one point was leaving with his aunt, right? And when he wanted to leave her, his aunt wouldnt let him go, or rather pleaded with him to stay with her. Infact, what I could recall is that the husband of the woman returned home from the war and the man is informed that his 'wife's' husband is back from the war and he discussed it with the woman and told her that he's already paid the bride price so that meant she was now his legal wife. Didnt the men get into confrontation?
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by itstpia8: 4:27pm On Dec 03, 2015
What was the book title?
Re: Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? by Akanniade(m): 5:23pm On Dec 03, 2015
The worshippers gave me the hibbie jibbies. Squint eye grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why You Shouldn't Fart In A Crowded Elevator!!! / Sun Newspaper Vs Punch Newspaper / Tochi's Dilemma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.