Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Sincere: Advice On My Career - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Sincere: Advice On My Career (1095 Views)

I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? / My Career Dilemma / Pls I'm Confused I Need Advise On My Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sincere: Advice On My Career by ify2love2(f): 5:04pm On Feb 22, 2008
I have been working for this particular organisation for the past ten years. I started with them with WAEC and i will soon have my HND certificate. Nothing was given to me on my ten years of service. I do the work of a secretary, accountant, admin mgr., personnel, and sometime that of a cleaner, just name it. I never complained unless early last year that is 2007 when one of my boss accused me that i have not been doing my job well, simply because a staff came late and i do not ask him why he came late.

After analysising what has been going on i decided to approach them to tell me my job specification. This i did. Also i asked them to tell me where i was lacking on all the above mentioned designation. They only looked at each other and kept quite. We sat like that staring at one another for close to five minutes before one of the directors said that i should go, that they will get in touch with me to tell me my job description. I was employed a secretary but now i dont know what i actually do because majority of my works is outside secretarial duties.

Two months or thereabout, they called me that they need an accountant, that i should placed an advert, but the senior director argued that will be too much to place advert. That i should get somebody, which a friend of mine adviced me against. That they should employ somebody they know. They keep on prolonging the employment issue. I still carried on with the large work load. Then i placed the advert on my own advice that they were just over labouring me. Am not being paid for the extra work load, in short my salary compare to what am doing is just a peanut. Even people close to them will see the way i handled the job will also said that i work as if the job belong to me, so devouted, deligent and so on, that anyway i paid must be good, this i always laugh it off.

What actually killed my moral, is this we employed an accontant who only worked for a day and resigned. I called her and she said that her job has not been specified, and that the director told her that the books are not in order.

I got to the office, believe you me. I was down, i approached them and told them that the accountant has resigned, they said so, let her go now. Then the senior director asked me what did she say made her resigned. I told them exactly what she said. He then hissed and said she doesnt know where to start from, that she must be inexperienced. Then i asked them what do they mean that the books are not in order?
They denied ever saying such a thing, sorry to say but i broke down, and said after serving the company for over ten years, the thank you i will get is a stab at my back. I felt bad, i felt been used, i felt very very bad. I told them that i will no longer do any work apart for my sec. duties, that common certificate awrd they cannot ever give to me after ten years. The thing is that I felt bad and said a lot of things that normally, i won't have said to them. But after that i was relieve as if a load was off my shoulder.

Few hours later the senior director called me and said that is not as if they did not recognise my contribution to the growth of the company, that they are planning some good for me but i should mind the way i loss my temper that no body mentioned any thing of such to the accountant and so on. That is not ever the problem now. Any time i worked into the office i feel bad and depressed, i discover that i can no longer function the way i used to. As if i no longer car about my job. I dont understand it at all. Please a need sincere advice on what to do. Thank you.
Re: Sincere: Advice On My Career by goldlink(m): 11:47pm On Feb 22, 2008
It is really a pity that after ten years you are yet to grasp totally the type of directors you are working with, the way you lost your temper is not good.Since you no longer feel comfortable there, do you have any plan B? if not you have to manage and continue until you are able to save a minimum amount to set your self up in self employment, if you need further help send me an email motonyvator@yahoo.com
Re: Sincere: Advice On My Career by ify2love2(f): 10:25am On Feb 25, 2008
Yes
i know am not supposed to get into temper i just couldn,t help it.
Re: Sincere: Advice On My Career by halimababe: 8:29pm On Feb 27, 2008
hi,

if you are not happy at your place of work, it simply means its time to check out. but remember that there are no jobs out there. after working for ten yrs what are your plans? to seek for another job or to be self employed? the ball is in your court. as for me i believe in self employment. start thinking and planning ahead.

i wish you all the best.
Halima
Re: Sincere: Advice On My Career by DisGuy: 12:04am On Feb 28, 2008
seems you are free with your boss/directors, i
think you should specifically book an appointment with them
that way you can discuss your workload and your pay and benefits
you should be getting paid for doing more than you do
you should also ask for a binding contract with new job specification and
salary

Tell them about the going rate for the work you do at similar companies and
remind them you will be getting a new qualification- hint you are tempted with
better working environment at other companies at the same time you are committed
as ever to their incompetent self organisation grin

good luck

you are the negotiator not them, comprise a lil get a lot!
Re: Sincere: Advice On My Career by Nobody: 1:10pm On Feb 29, 2008
10 years no be beans o!!!!!!!!! shocked shocked

that's some story girl. if u joined them at 17, u must be what? 27 now? ah, if to say na pikin u born dat time, e go dey secondary school by now shocked tongue embarassed

if there's anything i dislike in an organization, it's lack of structure. u say u will have ur HND soon. in case u'r not sure, it's equivalent to a BSc. start looking for another job. i bet they see you as their girl-friday, but their guilty conscience wont let them tell u so. they don't give a squat about u. this is and has always been about them. u do all these jobs for free; why hire someone else?

i also dislike abusive employers. someone who has worked for TEN YEARS and doesn't even have a job description to show for it has every right to an outburst one fine day. u must be very loyal. i admire that. dont regret your outburst. there's only so much a person can take.

how much longer till u get ur HND? see that date as ur 'kiss-my-ass-goodbye' date. in the meantime, what did u study and what grade do you expect?

even if the HND is still a long way off, take halimababe's advice and start ur own business. there's nothing to be afraid of. and you'll find that once u can force urself out of ur 'comfort zone' which is getting uncomfortable BTW, there's a whole world of opportunities.

here's the best part: EVERYTHING u have learnt about managing their business is what will make urs a success. you're young only once. dont spend it unhappy.
Re: Sincere: Advice On My Career by Delta007(m): 2:07pm On Feb 29, 2008
Obviously, you now lack the passion for your job. Passion is what kept you going even when the workload was large and the pay was peanuts. Now the passion is gone, something needs to rekindle it. Sometimes, a payraise might help (but not all the time). A job change is very advisable at this point. . .now that you still have a job, look out thru the window and see what you can get.
Re: Sincere: Advice On My Career by Bossman(m): 4:46pm On Feb 29, 2008
I agree. Get your HND and get the heck out! 10 years is a very long time. However, your degree should open up better opportunities. You seem like a very devoted person. Not sure why it's taking your Managers to realize what value you bring to the organization and show their appreciation.
Re: Sincere: Advice On My Career by ify2love2(f): 4:16pm On Mar 03, 2008
I really appreciate all your contributions.

I have been thinking on how to go about it all. An account officer was supposed to resume today. But did not show up. I understand from one of the boss that she will resume on June. That means doing all the workload till June. A colleague said i should refuse to do more jobs, i felt well i have ben doing for several years now what difference does three more months make?

My HND by God's Grace will be next year.

@iceblue
nawa for you. which one concern baby and work. cheesy cheesy cheesy
what is the meaning of girl-friday?
Re: Sincere: Advice On My Career by brownbonno(m): 1:46am On Mar 04, 2008
Dear,I can understand your frustrations.You are almost at the other end of the tunnel.10 years is too long for you to just boat off with anger.
Although you are lose out for not getting a commensurate pay for the work.You should be proud for a few things:
1.You have been able to deligently manage such a work load even with your minimum education
2.Give yourself a PLUS for been able to manage an office,which accountant cannot keep up with.
3.Believe your potentials kept you in that office for 10 years,
4.Don;t get angry in the face of your boss,it will never make you a hero.
5.If you can;t take any more,get something Else for yourself
You will make it but only with humility.

(1) (Reply)

Change Of Career Path / Professional Gis Training!!! / First Bank Of Nigeria Ltd 2013 Graduate Trainee Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.