Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,270 members, 7,954,052 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:30 AM

Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? (12605 Views)

Parents, How Will You Handle This Without Embarrasing Yourself ? / Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? / Have You Ever Asked Your Parents How They Met? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Profkomolafe(m): 9:40am On Jan 04, 2013
hmmmmmm, as u guyz re askin me this questn, i no knw who i go ask.... The most painful part of the matter is leaving my mum@ home so as 2 acquire more knowledge @ the higher inst...... Jst pray 4 God protectn on her. Its nt easy being the only child coz mst tyms i dnt pity myself but my parent.... Lng on the list bt few 2 talk abt.... @poster, no let any body change ur plan 4 ur parent, 4 me,NA ME AND MY PARENT GO STAY 2GEDA SO MK MY WYF DEY HEAR ME ANY WHERE SHE DEY NW.....LOL
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Kslib(m): 9:45am On Jan 04, 2013
Idowuogbo:
I swear u took d words right out of my fingers. I feel for him and d so called gal, he had better start letting his mother no he is capable of making decisions. Hian! Dis mum and son love dey extreme o! lipsrsealed
Yea.. I noticed that the more i grow,the more she is beginning to let me have my way... I havent even dreamt of reaching 21yrs though,but she has started letting me free so like my friends will say "ALL IZ WELL".....
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Nobody: 9:51am On Jan 04, 2013
Mehn..it wasn't dat bad wen i was growin up cos i had many of my cousins living wit us nd had a very gud relationship wit them
some of them stayed in our house till they got married...the way we relate if u dnt know us very well u'll tink my mum gave birth to us all
besides,my mum nd dad are so over protective,always snoopin around my tins,anxious to knw my whereabout,well i'm nt d goin out type so dat helps bt my own case my parents neva pampered me.
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Sleek05(f): 10:00am On Jan 04, 2013
touchplay: choi...! M d only son,wit 3 sisters,2 serving nigeria, mi m abt 2 resume skul,lastborn wants 2 sit 4 jamb.mehn,its nt bin easy oo..staying alone in ma room y'l dey al gist n play in der room.no guy 2 talk2,non 2 share cloths wit,non 2 argue football wit.jst mi alone.dats y i dnt stay @ om all d tym expecially weekends.always inma fwends place,n mum aint cool wit it.always calling mi on fone 2 cm back 2 d girls hostel. angry choi...! M d only son,wit 3 sisters,2 serving nigeria, mi m abt 2 resume skul,lastborn wants 2 sit 4 jamb.mehn,its nt bin easy oo..staying alone in ma room y'l dey al gist n play in der room.no guy 2 talk2,non 2 share swags wit,non 2 argue football wit.jst mi alone.dats y i dnt stay @ om all d tym expecially weekends.always inma fwends place,n mum aint cool wit it.always calling mi on fone 2 cm back 2 girls hostel.

Hahahahaha...I almost thot u were by brother but den mine has 2 sisters. I over-feel ur pain. My brother comes in2 d room and quietly listens 2 our gist since he has no1 2 gist with. Wen we chase him, he begs us so he can stay since he has no1 to talk to except his fone and 2 make it worse, my dad z never @ home. He's not a football fan sef, he has 2 watch wat we ladies watch @ home. I jus fnshed servin and my sis is abt 2 serve. My brother's GCE result was just released with his wonderful F9s, come see lashin frm his graduate sisters hahaha and hez also abt 2 write jamb! Infact, lolu is dat u? Ehn? Lmao
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by tjskii(f): 10:05am On Jan 04, 2013
I rememba I used to wish I was d only kid wen I was growing up,I get 3 younger brodas and dem wan wounjure dat time,but now I'm glad theyr here
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by LadyGeorge(f): 10:06am On Jan 04, 2013
Am not an only child But an Only female child but i can tell u Wat loneliness is all about.
any way i got used 2 it but now am trying 2 associate with people, You Know wat its not easy at all.

1 Like

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Bvesan(m): 10:42am On Jan 04, 2013
One thing u wont go about doing is advertising dat u r an only child coz pple will look at u as vulnerable and fragile as a egg.I go wan marry as early as 25 with 4 children.I hardly relate with pretty gals and expect d babes to make the first move.
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by sweetgala(m): 11:15am On Jan 04, 2013
Must be frustrating, I'm not an only child and my mum is overprotective. You'd think I was a kid who can't make up his mind the way she acts and talks sometimes.
I have 2 brothers 1 sister and it's still hard to please the woman,though I'm the youngest.
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by NosaHenry(m): 11:16am On Jan 04, 2013
I am not an only child by typical definition of the word, but i dont have full sibling but half brothers and sisters. Even at that it really can be lonely at times. I relate with what @ op is feeling, when you are married and have your kids like me you will feel less lonely
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Theblessed(f): 11:24am On Jan 04, 2013
[size=16pt]Yes, being an only child has its disadvantages and the same applies to their parents.

But I must advice young parents, please, make it two or three o o o because, one pikin go pepper your eyeballs and give you a shock of your life at the crunch of events in your lives - honest!

Just have a spare part o o !

God wey gave us everything in twos e.g. 2 legs, 2 eyes, 2 hands etc no dey silly but clever man - just learn and emulate what he did with us because, I have seen an only child inflicting hurt and cruelty on his/her parents.

Be warned and find your black goat now, it is not yet dark!! grin grin grin
[/size]
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by iamdsam: 11:43am On Jan 04, 2013
I'M THE ONLY CHILD OF MY MOTHER BUT SECOND CHILD TO MY FATHER. SHE'S THE ONE I LIVE WITH. BEING THE ONLY CHILD IS NO FUN FOR ME MAINLY BECAUSE I'M FROM A POOR HOME. THE ONLY THING I LILKE ABOUT IT IS THAT MY MOTHER ALWAYS GOT MY BACK. SHE'S WILLING TO DO ANYTHING FOR ME IF SHE CAN

2 Likes

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Truckpusher(m): 12:13pm On Jan 04, 2013
dopeJemi:

Abeg shut up and go push trucks

If u knew hau 2 read, u wud av seen where I stated hau it has been 4 me being d onLy chiLd

No quote Me again oh
Abeg bros make you no vex na... no be me cause the divorce na!
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by muyiwa22(m): 12:22pm On Jan 04, 2013
This issue of being d only child its killing softly cos my mum is telling me to get married this or else. But seriously I wished I had siblings cos d pressure its too much 4 me to handle. She as mandate it 4 me to give her grand child am even confused right now
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by kandiikane(m): 1:48pm On Jan 04, 2013
Mother is overly protective. Calling me every single minute. If I miss two calls that's a big overblown fight.
Always getting sent to do everything. If I had a younger sibling I could just pass the order on.
One thing I hated is when people say my mother spoilt me. Come on!! I never got those toys I use to see on tv when I was small.

All in all, I think it was great because you get more attention from your parents growing up so you won't have the excuse of saying 'my mother was never there for me'
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Infoman51: 3:57pm On Jan 04, 2013
I must confess dat am really enjoying d privilege of been d only child of my mum. I hav been living with her without my dad but with my two cousins, now my cousins had got married living me only with my mum. Dere are now some kind of pressures not too much on me from my mum's friends asking about my wife to be in wich i hav never had any girl friend. I dont want to marry now as a newly graduated from university not yet undergo nysc service. I felt i nid to get a job be4 even thinking of having a relationship talkless of getting married, i think at my age i shud b d one taking care of my mother not either way round cuz she has been d only one for me till dis moment. Honestly, i like to be alone most of d time cuz it seems am enjoying been lonely n i am always at home.
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jan 04, 2013
iamdsam: I'M THE ONLY CHILD OF MY MOTHER BUT SECOND CHILD TO MY FATHER. SHE'S THE ONE I LIVE WITH. BEING THE ONLY CHILD IS NO FUN FOR ME MAINLY BECAUSE I'M FROM A POOR HOME. THE ONLY THING I LILKE ABOUT IT IS THAT MY MOTHER ALWAYS GOT MY BACK. SHE'S WILLING TO DO ANYTHING FOR ME IF SHE CAN

I don't have enough info to make a solid statement
but I do believe you are well adjusted and confident.....
talking about a poor home in a matter of fact way, with no trace of self-pity

Point, apart from your Mama having your back, she has raised a confident child
An advantage of 1 child, maybe?
Cheers
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by empowerdex(m): 9:03pm On Jan 04, 2013
its been a fun ride for me, more pro's than con's, it has made me independent, used the loneliness to my advantage, yes I am a bookworm, but my knowledge has endeared a lot of people to me, rarely lacked anything, the overprotective part is really crazy, but I understand why, I remember when I was young I had many haters cause I always had the cool stuff and the girls swooned, learned how fickle friends are the hard way, tons of hangers on, ma parents always bought stuffs for anybody I rolled with, I guess as a bribe or sumn, twas fun though,ma dad was also a social guy so I didn't suffer from that awkwardness he owned a studio and consulted for radio stations but I had to mature early cause I only had elders to converse with, I'm comfortable being alone after I got over trying to blend in, some see me as a snob but I'm just being careful,cause I've picked up the skill of psychoanalysis, but got some friends that I call ma brothers and sisters, they even pamper me, but the part I hate the most is that when I try to do something, everybody tries to pitch in and help out as if I can't deliver, even after showing I'm capable, in ma next life, with the same parents ill be an only child

1 Like

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Imyourex(m): 10:17pm On Jan 04, 2013
For me, its a bad experience cus I'm the only son and all my uncles never gave a fvck if I exist, they never released their kids to come play wit me. I only had friends at school and my dad was a 'Get inside type' so none of my friends visited at home.
including all u stated above @ op . But thank God I'm I man now and I live alone in my apartment, but it only makes me to have many ex 'es.
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by BukkyDan(f): 10:28pm On Jan 04, 2013
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by CzarChris(m): 11:14pm On Jan 04, 2013
I honestly tot i was alone in this, this thread is trully enlightening. My luv for being lonely, my bookworm habits, my talking to d walls, difficulty in mixing up with people, inability to have a stable relationship cos i luv my privacy and space which the ladies don't seem to understand, my over-introvert nature, being called a geek/nerd/mr. ITK.
@op thanks for this thread, quite an eye opener.

My mum is the best, i love her so much, but someone's got to tell her to go easy on the phone calls.DAMN!!! My colleagues make fun of me at work, cos she calls like 7times a day to know how am doing and woo betide me if i miss 1 call, i'll never get enough of the"do u want to give me a hi-BP" speech.

The marriage talks? Save me O Lord, she practically called the entire kindred on me this last xmas to give me a deadline on getting a wife or having one literally shoved down my throat "if I don't meet the deadline". Its just simply annoying to say the least.

3 Likes

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Codedboy1: 3:06am On Jan 05, 2013
Kslib: Mehn,it aint easy oh...
Lonliness: i have so gotten used to it that i like isolating myself from people and being alone... Mum keeps treating me like a little child,if i no gree eat,she go dey vex say i dey starve myself....
I always compromise to always make her happy cos i dont want her to feel like i'm taking advantage of being her only child...
Mum always likes to dictate how i should live my life and gets angry when i oppose...
Inshort,being the only child has made me shun most of what i liked doing cos i want to always make my mum happy... It aint easy atall... I jealous people who have siblings and wish i had one,but there are some things in life that you just cant get..
Well my mum loves me to pieces that it scares the hell out of me to disappoint her.. So i'm always under pressure in how i behave and live my life....
Mum wants to know my friends,where i go and my private life and all.. Like seriously,WTF...
Lastly and most importantly,mum thinks she owns my life and wants me to live it to her taste... The thing don tire me but i no wan break this woman heart cos women are fragile....
D loneliness is seriously killing but tank GOD for my siblings from another World my laptop and my phone
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Codedboy1: 3:11am On Jan 05, 2013
Czar-Chris:
I honestly tot i was alone in this, this thread is trully enlightening. My luv for being lonely, my bookworm habits, my talking to d walls, difficulty in mixing up with people, inability to have a stable relationship cos i luv my privacy and space which the ladies don't seem to understand, my over-introvert nature, being called a geek/nerd/mr. ITK.
@op thanks for this thread, quite an eye opener.

My mum is the best, i love her so much, but someone's got to tell her to go easy on the phone calls.DAMN!!! My colleagues make fun of me at work, cos she calls like 7times a day to know how am doing and woo betide me if i miss 1 call, i'll never get enough of the"do u want to give me a hi-BP" speech.

The marriage talks? Save me O Lord, she practically called the entire kindred on me this last xmas to give me a deadline on getting a wife or having one literally shoved down my throat "if I don't meet the deadline". Its just simply annoying to say the least.
Can i ever really knw hw to mix up with people ha!! Being the only child isn't good am an introvert of d first order
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by itstpia1: 5:13pm On Aug 20, 2014
80million1: *speechless*

when a thread is opened for how it feels to be a LAST BORN,then i'll comment!

if there's a big gap, the last born tends to have the experiences of an only child.
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by BukkyDan(f): 10:48pm On Jan 21, 2015
[quo
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Adaezeagu(f): 5:43pm On Jan 22, 2015
How those it feel to be the only cute child among your siblings? grin grin
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by touchplay(m): 6:04pm On Nov 27, 2016
Sleek05:

Hahahahaha...I almost thot u were by brother but den mine has 2 sisters. I over-feel ur pain. My brother comes in2 d room and quietly listens 2 our gist since he has no1 2 gist with. Wen we chase him, he begs us so he can stay since he has no1 to talk to except his fone and 2 make it worse, my dad z never @ home. He's not a football fan sef, he has 2 watch wat we ladies watch @ home. I jus fnshed servin and my sis is abt 2 serve. My brother's GCE result was just released with his wonderful F9s, come see lashin frm his graduate sisters hahaha and hez also abt 2 write jamb! Infact, lolu is dat u? Ehn? Lmao
nah.....m henry. na naw I jst dey sea ur msg,3 yrs back...lol.
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Nobody: 1:22am On Nov 28, 2016
Being the only girl in a family is more annoying.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss / My Marriage Is Crashing Please Help / Is Your Ọmọ-ọ̀dọ̀ (House Girl) More Su Ẹ̀gbẹ̀ Than Mine? Prove It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.