Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,886 members, 7,810,406 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:26 AM

A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss (12261 Views)

Families Need Homes... How Feasible Is It For Most Nigerian Families to Own One? / No Reception Registry Wedding / How Feasible Is Flexible Working In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by timilehing(m): 5:46pm On Jun 18, 2015
Fellow Nairalanders and husband/wife to be, I'm hoping to get married next year by God's Grace and I've been thinking of several ways to reduce irrelevant expenses. The only big one that can take the load off my neck is having a No Reception Wedding.

Well, it's not like guests will not be entertained or well wishers will be left hungry at the occasion. I've really thought of having everything food, drinks and maybe cake parked inside a customized nylon and handed to all guests immediately after finishing with church part (which is the actual occasion) Though the church part may be a bit longer cos time will be given for dancing and some other things since there won't be a reception.
Hall, decorations and Band will cost about 250-300k. I can't really afford to be showing off the money I don't have in this kind of economy.
All help is needed here and this might just be helpful to others in my shoe.

I'm hoping to round up everything @300k or far less self. I don't want money to delay my marriage. Thanks

Aminat508, pinkiberry, sinaj, misspicy, babyosisi, sexymoma

cc: lalasticlala. I'll appreciate if you can move it to front page

**Edited** from 500k to 300k

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by angieberry(f): 5:54pm On Jun 18, 2015
Yeah, it's very possible to do away with the reception. Another way you can cut costs is to invite very few guests, probably only family and close friends. Instead of buying the wedding dress/suit, you can as well rent one, especially the dress because you only wear it only once and most brides usually face the burden of trying to sell off their dresses after their weddings.

11 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by adioolayi(m): 5:54pm On Jun 18, 2015
Yours won't be the first and can't be the last! Good food and drinks inside a take-away customised or plain polythene bags...Just instruct to distribute immediately after service.
The pastor or moderator will just help you in giving short announcement that gust should remain seated after service or pick their takeaway pack on their way out....so simple.
You've just saved yourself from renting hall, decoration, MC, entertainers and other things... Cut your coat according to your size.
Best of luck

12 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by Aminat508(f): 5:57pm On Jun 18, 2015
The food will probably be the most expensive part, no matter what. But you don’t have to do a full sit down meal. Just pack it in a nice and simple way

Get friends/family to help out with things like invitations, music and photography, which could otherwise cost a huge amount of money.and more also
Invite fewer people. All d best sir

4 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by Femsyn(m): 6:00pm On Jun 18, 2015
If with 500k from ur end and you can't do a proper wedding with reception, then u probably need a planner.

One thing I've realised with weddings is that, its usually not ur sole responsibility financially. Often times, especially the SW, the groom and bride's family also contribute. In fact, ideally, your major responsibility is the clothes both of u will wear, rings, box of clothes (optional) and bible.
Others can be handled by the families, depending on how bouyant they are, else you support.

However, know that there are several financial levels of a typical wedding. Be it 50k, 100k, 300k or 3m. Don't do beyond your means.

1 Like

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by timilehing(m): 6:00pm On Jun 18, 2015
angieberry:
Yeah, it's very possible to do away with the reception. Another way you can cut costs is to invite very few guests, probably only family and close friends. Instead of buying the wedding dress/suit, you can as well rent one, especially the dress because you only wear it only once and most brides usually face the burden of trying to sell off their dresses after their weddings.
I don't really count all these as being irrelevant as I have several people that can stitch gorgeous world class wedding dress for my bride

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by sexymoma(f): 6:00pm On Jun 18, 2015
One thing you should understand is....after wedding what next
My brother people will only talk for sometime... Wedding na wedding ooo
The most important thing is take her to church and bless your union... The remaining na "optional"

11 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by timilehing(m): 6:03pm On Jun 18, 2015
Femsyn:
If with 500k from ur end, you can't do a proper wedding with reception, then u probably need a planner.

One thing I've realised with weddings is that, its usually not ur sole responsibility financially. Often times, especially the SW, the groom and bride's family also contribute. In fact, ideally, your major responsibility is the clothes both of u will wear, rings, box of clothes (optional) and bible.
Others can be handled by the families, depending on how bouyant they are, else you support.
That 500k will cover everything associated with the wedding, including engagement, logistics & other miscellaneous. Even right now, I don't have 1k yet. I'm just trying to get my head straight and stick to a plan while I save towards it

4 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by angieberry(f): 6:05pm On Jun 18, 2015
Alrighty then, if it is within your means, no problem.
timilehing:
I don't really count all these as being irrelevant as I have several people that can stitch gorgeous world class wedding dress for my bride
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by timilehing(m): 6:13pm On Jun 18, 2015
angieberry:
Alrighty then, if it is within your means, no problem.
Thanks. You can also assess other areas too
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by Moana(f): 6:51pm On Jun 18, 2015
I wouldn't have a problem with having a church ceremony without a reception. Not only does it saves costs, but im just not a big fan of getting too much attention.
I would rather focus more on starting a stress-free and debt-free marriage with my husband. Besides my parents only did a court wedding and they are still going on strong and its been +30years now grin

13 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by NifemiOlu(m): 6:54pm On Jun 18, 2015
kiss
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by An0nimus: 6:56pm On Jun 18, 2015
If your church is accomodating then I fully subscribe to the idea. Some churches will not agree as the church environment might get messed up and all that.

After church close them package all man food, ppl drop their gift, collect sourvenir, una take pishure and all man find him squareroot cheesy

4 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by Ewuro1: 6:59pm On Jun 18, 2015
Bellong is an expertise in this area.

BELLONGGGGG!!!!
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by Stillfire: 7:04pm On Jun 18, 2015
The nylon thing sounds razz, sorry not tying to insult you o, and I'm not one that likes big weddings either. But your suggestion is too razz for me. undecided
Since it's all about saving costs, just invite 10-30 people and treat them specially on a table like this below. wink Doesn't have to be this elaborate either. Just make it intimate.

Have you even asked the bride though? Naija women like to tell the world they now a Mrs o. grin What does she feel about your suggestion?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by Moana(f): 7:13pm On Jun 18, 2015
Stillfire:
The nylon thing sounds razz, sorry not tying to insult you o, and I'm not one that likes big weddings either. But your suggestion is too razz for me. undecided
Since it's all about saving costs, just invite 10-30 people and treat them specially on a table like this below. wink Doesn't have to be this elaborate either. Just make it intimate.

Have you even asked the bride though? Naija women like to tell the world they now a Mrs o. grin What does she feel about your suggestion?
this may sound like a good idea but it can cause commotion i remember attending a wedding where the bride and groom had a list of those that could attend the reception and most of the aunties and uncles from the village were not on the list. They caused a scene by the hotel entrance until the bride and groom where forced to make last minute arrangements for them.

Even an aunty who last saw you when you finished pre-school will want to be part of those 10-30 people o

6 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by Stillfire: 7:25pm On Jun 18, 2015
Moana:
this may sound like a good idea but it can cause commotion i remember attending a wedding where the bride and groom had a list of those that could attend the reception and most of the aunties and uncles from the village were not on the list. They caused a scene by the hotel entrance until the bride and groom where forced to make last minute arrangements for them.

Lol, you are correct. After writing that I remembered the guy might be based in naija and it might not fly lol. grin cheesy
This is what I plan on doing for mine by hook or crook o. grin I know my family will kill me for that. cheesy Can't stand big weddings at all. I even dislike the fact that all eyes would be on me. *shivers*, *my goosebumps getting goosebumps*

4 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by angelTI(f): 7:25pm On Jun 18, 2015
Wait o. Did you actually copy Mr cork? Are you for real Bro?
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by Moana(f): 7:26pm On Jun 18, 2015
Stillfire:

Lol, you are correct. After writing that I remembered the guy might be based in naija and it might not fly lol. grin cheesy
This is what I plan on doing for mine by hook or crook o. grin I know my family will kill me for that. cheesy Can't stand big weddings at all. I even dislike the fact that all eyes would be on me. *shivers*, *my goosebumps getting goosebumps*
i feel the same way too

1 Like

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by pinkiberry(m): 7:51pm On Jun 18, 2015
timilehing:
Fellow Nairalanders and husband/wife to be, I'm hoping to get married next year by God's Grace and I've been thinking of several ways to reduce irrelevant expenses. The only big one that can take the load off my neck is having a No Reception Wedding.

Well, it's not like guests will not be entertained or well wishers will be left hungry at the occasion. I've really thought of having everything food, drinks and maybe cake parked inside a customized nylon and handed to all guests immediately after finishing with church part (which is the actual occasion) Though the church part may be a bit longer cos time will be given for dancing and some other things since there won't be a reception.
Hall, decorations and Band will cost about 250-300k. I can't really afford to be showing off the money I don't have in this kind of economy.
All help is needed here and this might just be helpful to others in my shoe.

I'm hoping to round up everything @500k or far less self. I don't want money to delay my marriage. Thanks

Aminat508, pinkiberry, sinaj, misspicy, babyosisi, sexymoma, MrCork,

cc: lalasticlala. I'll appreciate if you can move it to front page
dear u need a wedding organizer. 500k should be enough to make a decent. I know a person that spent only 100k in his wedding. its not abt how expensive d wedding is. its abt life after wedding.

1 Like

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by timilehing(m): 8:21pm On Jun 18, 2015
pinkiberry:
dear u need a wedding organizer. 500k should be enough to make a decent. I know a person that spent only 100k in his wedding. its not abt how expensive d wedding is. its abt life after wedding.
timilehing:
That 500k will cover everything associated with the wedding, including engagement, logistics & other miscellaneous. Even right now, I don't have 1k yet. I'm just trying to get my head straight and stick to a plan while I save towards it
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by April07: 8:25pm On Jun 18, 2015
I've been thinking along this line too o.
Everybody has a reception of some sort afterwards.
So much money is spent.

Tsk.
Well.. I tot of an evening wedding.. A late one.
You can invite everyone.
After the wedding service, everyone will be too tired to wine and dine. cheesy
So, you present them with already packed food and drinks and cake..
No need for reception venue or any of those orishirishi..
Simple and nice cheesy

When you have money, you throw an elaborate anniversary party.

1 Like

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:28pm On Jun 18, 2015
April07:
I've been thinking along this line too o.
Everybody has a reception of some sort afterwards.
So much money is spent.

Tsk.
Well.. I tot of an evening wedding.. A late one.
You can invite everyone.
After the wedding service, everyone will be too tired to wine and dine. cheesy
So, you present them with already packed food and drinks and cake..
No need for reception venue or any of those orishirishi..
Simple and nice cheesy

When you have money, you throw an elaborate anniversary party.

It will shock you lol

2 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by misspicy(f): 8:29pm On Jun 18, 2015
pinkiberry:

ehen @timilehing u call me here am i to answer ur call
@pinkiberry,u took the words from my mouth
#500k is more than enuf to organise a simple wedding.
just get an event planner tell then ur expense rate and everytyn is set
if u r in lag pls indicate i can recommend you to a couple of event planners sef.
then let ur wife to be shudder some responsibilities if she can.

You are welcome

1 Like

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jun 18, 2015
timilehing:

shocked What! And you wanna get married? Pls get urself together before thinking of bringing a wife nd kids into the equation.

5 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by adioolayi(m): 8:52pm On Jun 18, 2015
Femsyn:
If with 500k from ur end, you can't do a proper wedding with reception, then u probably need a planner.

However, know that there are several financial levels of a typical wedding. Be it 50k, 100k, 300k or 3m. Don't do beyond your means.
Did I just read "Families"?.. That's on a long thing....Don't plan your wedding around expectations from Family... Anything they give should be a surplus, not part of plan. Families and disappointment "at times" are synonymous!

4 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by bukatyne(f): 8:54pm On Jun 18, 2015
Congrats in advance

N500k is enough for wedding and reception if it is from you alone.

However, marriage starts proper after wedding.

Receptionless wedding is very possible. And you pack the food, gifts if any & drinks in the paper bag/ nylon.

You could even get nice bags in Lagos, print on it and put the food & drinks inside. (No need for gifts again)

Please and please, get the best photography and video coverage. That lasts forever.

Goodluck

4 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by ladygogo: 9:35pm On Jun 18, 2015
It's possible, but I'm not really a fan of packing food for guests in plastics at events.

Do you absolutely have to get married in church?

Why cant you have a court wedding at Ikoyi or any federal registry wherever you are based in Nigeria? This option will cut down on the number of guests.

For the reception, you can check out some of the Chinese restaurants in your area. You should be able to make reservations for your guests.

Then on Sunday you can do your church blessing.

3 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by April07: 9:42pm On Jun 18, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

It will shock you lol

Will it? Tell me more cheesy
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by khatea: 9:43pm On Jun 18, 2015
#myopinion# 500k is very okay for a wedding even wt reception. See below:

1. 30 guests is enough

2. U can get a small hall (preferably a guest house hall/reception hall) @ 30k or less
Or even free (if U would buy drinks from dem). Remember U'l get free chairs and tables there, U'l also enjoy their power supply U know #lolz. U might also be lucky to meet a standing musician there whom U'l just tip to act as Ur MC and music provider for d day. No one shld b given more than 100naira drink o #sosweet##talkingfromexperience#

3. Get ur church decorating unit to use d church's materials(b sure U v spoken wt dem to know d color of decorating materials dey v for ur color of d day to match wt d available decor) after wc U dash dem 10k for d assistance.

4. Get a family friend who can cook/ a caterer who can pack a plate of food(jollof,fried rice & meat)/ (pounded yam & efo riro wt meat) @ 500 each. It shld b delicious enuf nao(at least Iya obioma plate of food at 250 is very ok & too much for me to consume at a sitting sef.

5. Get a camera man(a friend can do dis tho) with 50k or less

6. Get Ur wears and essential wedding needs wt d rest

7. Look for sum1 who can help with a 2 or 3 -tier cake for 20k

8. Engagement and all dis shld b a day thing.

I hope dis helps U much #best of luck ahead#

Send me a PM if U are in need of a good wedding planner. Ur wedding success is my concern

5 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by Caracta(f): 9:44pm On Jun 18, 2015
Very possible. I plan to have a non-reception wedding as well, just like my brother.

You could go the Registry way or the Church-only way.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! / "My Husband Does Not Last Long In Bed And Now I'm Sleeping With My Ex" / Will You Marry Someone Who has been Trained To Kill?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.