Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,834 members, 7,820,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

Favourite Child - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Favourite Child (2516 Views)

Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One / What's Your Favourite Nickname For Your Mom? / Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Favourite Child by DEKING3(m): 2:04pm On Aug 09, 2005
Hey guyz, I've seen somethings happen in some families and decided to bring this topic up for discussion.
There's no doubt that parents have a favourite child amongst all their children.
You see this favouritism of children of the same parents tends to bring about unhealthy competition in the family but don't you also agree that it would help a sibling to develop his/her ability to probably be loved as much.

I would appreciate your contributions and don't forget to say if you're dad or mom's favourite or both. As for me, I can't really tell if I am but I sure do know my mum don't joke about me and my dad doesn't show if he has any of us as his favourites.
Re: Favourite Child by gina34(f): 2:39pm On Aug 09, 2005
You are right parent loves one particular child than the other in a family,

in my family i think is my elder brother cos they stay up to 8yrs before they had him and he is the first child.
so he is the favorite child in my family though they try as much as

possible to hide it from us the sibling.
Re: Favourite Child by hotangel2(f): 7:52am On Aug 10, 2005
My dad loves me than every other of my siblings. (I have no siblings tongue). I am my dad's favorite.

I know some families that have favorite child. My friend was her mom's favorite child (cos then, she was the only one...her mom didn't have a child after her). After her 18 birthday her mom gave birth to a boy..my friend totaly become her mom's most hated child. Her mom was always picking on her and disliked her so much..that the girl wishes she was dead. that woman scares me. She totaly gave all her love to the new born baby..whch in my opinion, is very sad.
Re: Favourite Child by DEKING3(m): 9:40am On Aug 10, 2005
That's really sad but the woman shouldn't have done that at least for the fact that the girl for there for her always b4 the new baby boy.
The woman would create an unnecessary rivalry between the two of them. This is one of the reasons I brought up this topic.
Poor girl, she should let ther mom get into her way of loving her only brother.
Re: Favourite Child by hotangel2(f): 7:41am On Aug 11, 2005
De-king, this story is worst than sad. her mom was not against her having a boyfriend before the baby..but now her mom collected her phone because she said..she'd be talking to boys with the phone, instead of singing for her baby brother. What a stupid thing to do??

The girl is sick of everything. Her dad is the only one there for her now. And her friends of course. Her stupid boyfriend dumped her..because he couldn't stand a relationship where he can't communicate with her..whenever he wants.

Anyways thanks for the concern..she's kind of getting better, although her mom Totaly likes that new baby more than her. Even a blind man can See it.
Re: Favourite Child by layi(m): 3:18pm On Aug 12, 2005
Nothing wrong in having a favorite child. but u got to control urself, otherwise u'll unconsciously neglect the others. Dont show d favouritism. Keep them all on the same pedestal
Re: Favourite Child by DEKING3(m): 3:58pm On Aug 12, 2005
@ layi, can you really love one out of your kids and not show it? I doubt it.
Re: Favourite Child by Seun(m): 4:12pm On Aug 12, 2005
It's possible. If you make a conscious attempt to be fair to all your kids, then since they are not the same age, it'll not be possible for them to tell that someone is the favorite child. The truth is that most parents run their mouths so freely when dealing with their children because there's nobody to call them to order - they are like gods in their own kingdom! If you're careful with words it's easy to make each child feel equally loved.

And if you can't do that, then have only one child and send her to Covenant University!
Re: Favourite Child by Hunter(m): 11:44am On Aug 13, 2005
No doubt in my mind that my parents favour my brother more than me, but it doesn't fuss me in the slightest. I know I can't live up to him anyway, so I don't try.
Re: Favourite Child by layi(m): 4:45pm On Aug 13, 2005
DE-KING:

@ layi, can you really love one out of your kids and not show it? I doubt it.

Are they all your kids? U'll love them all. the point here is favoritism. U can show it to him without others feeling cheated. Just dont neglect the others.
Re: Favourite Child by DEKING3(m): 11:31am On Aug 15, 2005
@ layi, I sure do understand your point. It's just that in some families no matter how much the parents try to suppress their favoritism for a particular child, the siblings know and this tends to generate a lot of disagreement between them eventhough they are also loved.
I know favoritism in the family cannot be ruled out but parents should be very careful in doing that.
Re: Favourite Child by jese230(m): 7:30pm On Aug 16, 2005
Yes favourite child ,I have many all my five kids and they all know when to and how to approach me for delibrations concerning them but one of them is smart the second girl konws when to get daady cornered but that does not make her favorite grin
Re: Favourite Child by hotangel2(f): 7:34pm On Aug 16, 2005
Mr. Jese, Five kids? Now that's coolie. Please don't be harsh on them (nigerian fathers are scary).
Re: Favourite Child by layi(m): 6:10pm On Aug 21, 2005
@jese230
U cant use the 'favourite' for all ur kids o.
Re: Favourite Child by WesleyanA(f): 7:15am On Aug 27, 2005
the favorite one is my youngest sibling. i make sure i discipline (yes) him when my parents aren't around though to make up for it. tongue
Re: Favourite Child by layi(m): 1:13pm On Aug 27, 2005
@Wesley
Its not his fault now. Agbaya!
Re: Favourite Child by DEKING3(m): 10:00am On Aug 29, 2005
@wesley, that's not fair. It isn't has fault. . Besides, you're not making up for it either.
Re: Favourite Child by Latoya(f): 3:47pm On Aug 29, 2005
Most parents term to love some of there kids to others due to smoe reasons like Respect,parents love kids that respect them,some children doen just really care what they say to mum or dad,they just go around saying and doing things that r immoral.Parents love kids that r doing well educationally,y send u to school wiv my hard earned money and u just come back wiv all F's,what pride and happiness do u find in that?u will prefare a child that does better in school, a child that helps wiv house chores,a child that u can talk to,a child that u can always trust. But most of all parents love the Last born most.they think as the last child,they will have to spoil that kid in other to know that he/she is loved. Favouritism in a family is bad especially when it is obvious,it can cause a lot of trouble,it goes as far as breaking the family and causing hatred.
Re: Favourite Child by WesleyanA(f): 3:52pm On Aug 29, 2005
layi:

@Wesley
Its not his fault now. Agbaya!

i know it's not his fault but i do what i have to. he's getting spoilt and i have to change that. the last time he got suspended from school, my parent didn't do nothing but yell at him for like 2 min. and when my parents left, i made sure i disciplined him.

i only make him pay when he tries to take advantage and get me mad. he's more scared of me than he's scared of my dad. tongue...

someone prove me wrong most of the time the youngest kids are the favorites
Re: Favourite Child by layi(m): 4:01pm On Aug 29, 2005
@Wes
Dont u think He's scared cos u r wicked ( to him). Do u think he'll learn that way? When u smack him..he sees 'wickedness' instead of 'correction'. Use another approach o if ur motive is actually what u just said.
Re: Favourite Child by WesleyanA(f): 4:05pm On Aug 29, 2005
no, he doesn't see wickedness trust me. and i'm not wicked to him.
i only correct him when he does something worng because my parents don't do that no more rolleyes
by scared i mean when he does something wrong, he tries to hide it from me not my parents and that should be vice versa.
i smack him because i don't want him to grow up to be a bad kid that's supposed to be my parents' job.
Re: Favourite Child by DEKING3(m): 5:50pm On Aug 29, 2005
@wesley, if that's the reason why you do that, I wouldn't say it's totally wrong but be sure you're not pushing him farther from you than he already is.

I think you could call him, sit him down and talk to him like a big sis.
Re: Favourite Child by eveseh(f): 8:08pm On Apr 28, 2006
when i have kids,i'll love all of them
is not good to pick and choice among ya kids
Re: Favourite Child by mamaput(f): 1:14pm On May 07, 2006
I will not say i love one of my kids more but i love them in different ways.
The big girl is my right hand we also talk a lot of adult talk.
The second one is more like just there , She dose not make any trouble and she listens alot . i take time for her to play with her or sing or dance and encourage her in her hobbies.
the last born is a love me by force. right from when she was born .
When they others think i will say no to something they send her.
They think i say yes to her because i love her more , but i only say yes because i know she is very stubborn and dose not take no for an answer when she wants something. She can go on for hours
Re: Favourite Child by dominobaby(f): 3:00pm On May 07, 2006
Lol. D way u put ur story made me smild mamaput
Re: Favourite Child by Ndipe(m): 10:09am On Jul 01, 2007
Was a favorite of my dad as a child, but lost the position to my youngest brother (R.I.P) when he was born. I was perhaps my mom's favorite right from college, till when she died. However, my advice, is this: Avoid playing favoritism, it can destroy the familial bond. The Biblical story of Joseph should serve as a reminder, that his happy ending is perhaps, one of the rare types of sibling reconciliation and forgiveness.
Re: Favourite Child by gentlegg(m): 4:29pm On Sep 04, 2007
My mum seems to hate me a lot when i was young, and she beats me uncountable times that am too scared of my mum presence, cos she sees me as the timid, quiet, lazy, unindustrous (cos my younger ones use to hawk 4 her those days but shiiit i never try am) one but later change to like me most when she realised that am d most brilliant, morally ok, obedient and homely(domestic) son of her. Infact she so much began to show her favourism dat my siblings began 2 verbally acuse her of dat, and I began 2 pass thru some little hell with my siblings despite being d eldest one. I then began 2 correct the bad impression my sibblings already have, though till 2day my mum still prefer me 2 all of her kids. Though am married with my own kid now, still d woman dey disturb me all d time just 2 come and see her, 2 d extent dat she'll fake dat there is an urgent and important thing 2 disccuss with her, but is just 2 see her and her see me & ask me about my baby.
Re: Favourite Child by BABEELOVE(f): 5:08am On Sep 05, 2007
Favorite child-----sometimes hard to avoid because of "certain circumstances". But you try not to let it show as a wise mom! kiss
Re: Favourite Child by lovelylady: 12:15am On Nov 29, 2009
My younger sister is definately the favorite child. She got everything that she ever wanted including a brand new car. She never had work, do chores or cook. I was made to do everything. My parents hardly ever bought me anything. I had to work for the summer and earn money so that I can get school supplies. If I didn't I would not have anything. My parents never took me shopping for new clothes. I wore the same clothes & shoes all 4 years in high school. Sometimes I had to borrow shoes from one of my cousins as well as clothes. I was treated and is still treated like a step child. Now that I am older I don't want nothing to do with any of them. When I have kids of my own my parents will never get to meet them.
Re: Favourite Child by mamagee3(f): 12:19am On Nov 29, 2009
Favorite Children are the best. tongue
Re: Favourite Child by lovelylady: 12:45am On Nov 29, 2009
I'm glad that God shows love towards all of his children. He has no favorites.
Re: Favourite Child by iice(f): 5:17pm On Nov 29, 2009
Im the baby of everyone being the only girl cheesy
However, we all know the oldest boy is mom's favorite, to which we think it's awesome! He can do recon for us grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Know What's In My Dad's Will? / Husband Beats Wife Up After Their Wedding / How Come I Detest My Sister In Law So Much?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.